Under God

I never said that. Stop the BS. Society as a whole was to blame for slavery.
Not exactly. Evangelical Christians, by and large, were abolitionists. If a Quaker owned a slave, he was excommunicated.

Democrats, by and large, were slavers, even to the point of seceding in order to form an entire country of slave states.

And if Africans hadn't built slave factories on the west coast of their continent in which to warehouse their merchandise, the extinction of indentured servitude may not have happened so quickly.

If society on the whole were responsible for slavery, then so many northern states would not have been free states. Attitudes of superiority and control drove slavery. Kind of like the superiority one feels when he transfers property from one person in order to give it to another.

Revisionist history at his finest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Name one thing he said not true.
Christians brought an end to slavery. Check.
Democrats were for slavery. Check.
Africans built slave ports. Check.

Okay- I will also bring up true points:
Christians brought chattel slavery to the United States
Christians fought against the end of slavery in the United States
Democrats were against slavery
Americans built slave ports in the United States.
Link with names. Otherwise bullshit.
Weatherman revisionist history would always get an F in any honest conservative or liberal classrom. What weatherman calls for means nothing, kid, absolutely nothing.

The Africans did not carry the slaves to the America on their ships.

Some Christians opposed the end of slavery in America, notably leading to divisions in the Baptist and Methodist congregations.

The Democrats of the South overwhelmingly support slavery.

The Democrats of the North, when the Democrats of the South fired on Sumter, joined Lincoln and the Republican to war on the South's aggression.

Boston and Salem were early slave ports in America.

These are common knowledge facts, and any who disagree are mentally feeble or woefully ignorant or malignantly motivated, or a combination of any or all three.

No country can ever abandon God, Redfish. Who can ever make God go away? But since you are an atheist, this is a troll thread. So, mods, please put this in the flame zone.

Atheist? where did you get such a foolish idea? I am a devout Christian and practicing Methodist. Why would you say such a thing?

Same reason he claims to be a Republican
You both may go to church but you do not follow the Lord's way or his teachings. Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and unto God what is God's. Most literal evangelicalism is heresy and at times apostasy from Christian doctrine.

You on the left are trying to get God taken off our money, out of our pledge, and out of our schools.
Why do you think God wants to be on our money?

Why do you think God needs to be in our pledge- when the writer of the pledge never intended for God to be in it?

Which God do you think should be in our public schools? Do you think the States should give Christians a monopoly on God and force all students to praise Jesus- even if they are Jewish or Muslim?

Why do you want a State religion exactly?

When did I ever say I wanted a state religion? please provide my quote saying that, or you could just stop lying.

My point with this thread is that the country was a better place when religion (all of them) had a place in our public dialog.

I also never said the God "wants to be on our money" putting "in God we trust" is a statement of national belief that we are here because of a loving caring God. The words and rituals you use, or don't, to worship don't matter, and there was never an intent to create a theocracy in the USA.

I am sorry that our history is something that you are unfamiliar with, I guess you can blame the teachers union.
Stop it.

Religious values are part of the public discussion, always have been and always will be.

But you cannot pray next to me in school or the court house if you interfere with what I am doing.

Religion today is being denigrated by the statists and far left ideologues. You cannot dominate a population if they place God above the state.

If you doubt that, look at north korea or China under Mao. Study some world history, you might learn something about what you are wishing for.

Who is denigrating religion? The far right- attacking the faith of Muslim Americans.

God was also offended by integration. we were taught that by our preachers every Sunday. So we had seperate everything. With god running the government, things were a lot different.

you live in some kind of parallel universe. the beliefs and practices of those times were wrong and in violation of God's teachings.

Yet that was the era you claim America was 'Under God".

Not the era where those practices have been abolished.

I never said that. Stop the BS. Society as a whole was to blame for slavery.
Not exactly. Evangelical Christians, by and large, were abolitionists. If a Quaker owned a slave, he was excommunicated.

Democrats, by and large, were slavers, even to the point of seceding in order to form an entire country of slave states.

And if Africans hadn't built slave factories on the west coast of their continent in which to warehouse their merchandise, the extinction of indentured servitude may not have happened so quickly.

If society on the whole were responsible for slavery, then so many northern states would not have been free states. Attitudes of superiority and control drove slavery. Kind of like the superiority one feels when he transfers property from one person in order to give it to another.

People of all religions practiced slavery, muslims still do today
People of all religions wanted to retain slavery
Democrats were slave owners, Lincoln was a republican. the KKK was mostly democrats
Democrats filibustered the civil rights bill of 1964
Africans captured other Africans and sold them into slavery
Slavery was wrong, it was abolished. Its history. Learn from it.

And?

As I pointed out in response to incomplete historical claimsm.

Republicans

And yes- people of 'all religions' wanted to retain slavery'- so much for the moral superiority of people of faith.

And the 1964 Civil Rights Act?

Proposed by a Democratic President
Voted for by a majority of Democrats
Signed into law by Democratic President Lyndon B. Johnson.

00t-29-arve-tih-001-029.jpg

Redfish, thank you for finally being honest.

We are not going back to the 1950s and 1960s.

That is over, forever.

Right, we can never go back. But we can reestablish the basic principles that our country was founded on--------------freedom, equality, truth.

Are we better off today with citizens murdering police, with terrorists killing innocents all over he world? With our country 19 trillion dollars in debt? with more americans in poverty than ever before? with the country divided based on race, sex, age, location, ethnicity, religion?

Yes, we can never go back. But we can fix the mess that 60 years of liberalism (by both parties) has created.

Citizen's murdering police is horrible- and unfortunately not a new phenomena. In your 'Golden Age" of Christianity in America, police were gunned down by mobsters. Lawmen were ambushed by cowboys. This is not new- nor is it because America is trying to treat all Americans- regardless of their faith or political beliefs or color- equally.

Terrorists have been killing innocents all over the world before too- it just wasn't called 'terrorism' yet. You really don't know your history do you?

The United States wouldn't be as divided today if it wasn't for people like you who want us to be divided by religion.

Redfish, thank you for finally being honest.

We are not going back to the 1950s and 1960s.

That is over, forever.

Right, we can never go back. But we can reestablish the basic principles that our country was founded on--------------freedom, equality, truth. Are we better off today with citizens murdering police, with terrorists killing innocents all over he world? With our country 19 trillion dollars in debt? with more americans in poverty than ever before? with the country divided based on race, sex, age, location, ethnicity, religion? Yes, we can never go back. But we can fix the mess that 60 years of liberalism (by both parties) has created.
% wise we have less Americans in poverty.

We have always had police being killed, with innocents all over the world killed by terrorists.

Our country is divided because the far right wants it divided.

We can fix this by being honest, and the far right will not admit they are most of the problem.

are you insane? is BLM a far right organization? Is Soros a far right rich guy? Is MSNBC a far right news outlet? Is Obama a far right spokesperson? Is Sharpton a KKK member?

The division is being caused by the far left, the not so far left, and the middle left.

Divide and conquer, as taught by Hitler and Alinsky and Mao.

Wake up dude, you are living a fantasy.

The division is being caused by people like you- on the right and the left.

What is insane is that you believe that the far right is not part of the problem or that MSNBC is somehow the cause of the problem.

Since President Obama was elected, the far right has not been able to stop talking about race- and calling every black leader- including President Obama- racists.

Link with names. Otherwise bullshit.
Weatherman revisionist history would always get an F in any honest conservative or liberal classrom. What weatherman calls for means nothing, kid, absolutely nothing.

The Africans did not carry the slaves to the America on their ships.

Some Christians opposed the end of slavery in America, notably leading to divisions in the Baptist and Methodist congregations.

The Democrats of the South overwhelmingly support slavery.

The Democrats of the North, when the Democrats of the South fired on Sumter, joined Lincoln and the Republican to war on the South's aggression.

Boston and Salem were early slave ports in America.

These are common knowledge facts, and any who disagree are mentally feeble or woefully ignorant or malignantly motivated, or a combination of any or all three.

Of course- there is a wierd dichotomy of the far right wing nuts.

They want to attack Democrats for slavery- and want to embrace the Confederacy as an example of 'states rights'.
They want to claim that modern Democrats are the same party that was pro-slavery in 1860- while they want to ignore that the Confederate states were set up by Democrats.

As they want to ignore the Northern Democrats who fought against Confederacy.

Just as they want to ignore the essential truth that Southern Democrats were always Conservative- and after the 1964 Civil Rights Act- the Conservatives of the South rather rapidly became Republicans.

None of this has to do with Redfish's bizarre interpretation of God in America.

Is it really a surprise to anyone that Redfish's ideal 'Christian America' ended in 1964?

To Redfish- the America that had slavery was better because America put God first.
To Redfish- the America that had segregation was better because America put God first.

And by 'God' Redfish means the God he identifies with.

It doesn't mean the god worshipped by Muslims or Hindus or anyone else.

Democrats were slave owners, Lincoln was a republican. the KKK was mostly democrats

And?

Republicans

And yes- people of 'all religions' wanted to retain slavery'- so much for the moral superiority of people of faith.

And?

After Democrats fillibustered to block the passage, The House passed the bill by 289 to 126, a vote in which 79% of Republicans and 63% of Democrats voted yes. The Senate vote was 73 to 27, with 21 Democrats and only 6 Republicans voting no. President Johnson signed the new Civil Rights Act into law on July 2, 1964.

Overall, there was little overt resistance to the 1964 Civil Rights Act. The struggle was not yet over, however, as most southern state governments remained under the control of segregationist Democrats. It was a Republican federal judge who was most responsible for desegregating the South’s public schools. Appointed by President Eisenhower in 1955, Frank Johnson had overturned Montgomery, Alabama’s infamous “blacks in the back of the bus” law in his very first decision. During the 1960s, Judge Johnson continued to advance civil rights despite opposition from George Wallace, Lester Maddox, and other Democrat Governors.

And?

Republicans

And?

After Democrats fillibustered to block the passage, The House passed the bill by 289 to 126, a vote in which 79% of Republicans and 63% of Democrats voted yes. The Senate vote was 73 to 27, with 21 Democrats and only 6 Republicans voting no. President Johnson signed the new Civil Rights Act into law on July 2, 1964.

Overall, there was little overt resistance to the 1964 Civil Rights Act. The struggle was not yet over, however, as most southern state governments remained under the control of segregationist Democrats. It was a Republican federal judge who was most responsible for desegregating the South’s public schools. Appointed by President Eisenhower in 1955, Frank Johnson had overturned Montgomery, Alabama’s infamous “blacks in the back of the bus” law in his very first decision. During the 1960s, Judge Johnson continued to advance civil rights despite opposition from George Wallace, Lester Maddox, and other Democrat Governors.

Thanks- absolutely correct- the majority of Democrats and the majority of Republicans voted for passing the 1964 Civil Rights Act, proposed by JFK, and signed into law by LBJ.

The significant vote against the 1964 Civil Rights Act was the respected Republican Barry Goldwater- one of the few non-Southern Senators to vote against the 1964 Civil Rights Act. The vote by Barry Goldwater came back to haunt the GOP during the Presidential election as MLK Jr. made a point of noting Goldwater's 'no' vote.

By party
The original House version:[20]

• Democratic Party: 152–96 (61–39%)
  • Republican Party: 138–34 (80–20%)
Cloture in the Senate:[21]

• Democratic Party: 44–23 (66–34%)
  • Republican Party: 27–6 (82–18%)
The Senate version:[20]

• Democratic Party: 46–21 (69–31%)
The Senate version, voted on by the House:[20]

• Democratic Party: 153–91 (63–37%)
  • Republican Party: 136–35 (80–20%)
By party and region
Note: "Southern", as used in this section, refers to members of Congress from the eleven states that made up the Confederate States of America in the American Civil War. "Northern" refers to members from the other 39 states, regardless of the geographic location of those states.

The original House version:

• Southern Democrats: 7–87 (7–93%)
  • Southern Republicans: 0–10 (0–100%)
  • Northern Democrats: 145–9 (94–6%)
  • Northern Republicans: 138–24 (85–15%)
The Senate version:

And thank you for noting Judge Johnson- a fantastic judge who modern Conservatives would call an 'activist' judge. His rulings on actions, along with the actions of Democratic President Lyndon B. Johnson who mobilized the National Guard, worked to protect Civil Rights Marchers- who marched to protect black lives and rights.

Weatherman is running around in circles.

No wonder the Democratic strategists are having such a fun campaign. They have dimwits like weatherman and the others crying about God and slavery, while the speechwriter was paid to deliberately sabotage Melania's script.

And?

Republicans

And?

Thanks- absolutely correct- the majority of Democrats and the majority of Republicans voted for passing the 1964 Civil Rights Act, proposed by JFK, and signed into law by LBJ.

The significant vote against the 1964 Civil Rights Act was the respected Republican Barry Goldwater- one of the few non-Southern Senators to vote against the 1964 Civil Rights Act. The vote by Barry Goldwater came back to haunt the GOP during the Presidential election as MLK Jr. made a point of noting Goldwater's 'no' vote.

By party

By party and region
Note: "Southern", as used in this section, refers to members of Congress from the eleven states that made up the Confederate States of America in the American Civil War. "Northern" refers to members from the other 39 states, regardless of the geographic location of those states.

The Senate version:

And thank you for noting Judge Johnson- a fantastic judge who modern Conservatives would call an 'activist' judge. His rulings on actions, along with the actions of Democratic President Lyndon B. Johnson who mobilized the National Guard, worked to protect Civil Rights Marchers- who marched to protect black lives and rights.
Yep, Republicans passed the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

And?

Republicans

And?

By party

By party and region

The Senate version:

The CRA was divided by region, not party.

And?

Republicans

And?

By party

By party and region

The Senate version:

Yes, Democrat controlled regions opposed the CRA, Republican regions embarrassed it.

weatherman is a walking example of why the Dems are going to beat our Pubs so badly this fall.

The Dems and the Pubs in the North and the West passed the CRA, most of the Dems and ALL of the Pubs in the south opposed it.

And?

Republicans

And?

By party

By party and region

The Senate version:

Yes, Democrat controlled regions opposed the CRA, Republican regions embarrassed it.
Well that of course is again weird revisionist history, read with partisan blinders.

"Democrat controlled regions" included most of the United States- including the entire Northeast- which pushed through the Civil Rights Act.

It would be more accurate to say "Conservatives opposed the CRA- liberals promoted the CRA"

And?

Republicans

And?

By party

By party and region

The Senate version:

Yep, Democrats proposed, passed and signed into law the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

Despite the opposition of the GOP's 1964 Presidential nominee.

And?

By party

By party and region

The Senate version:

Well that of course is again weird revisionist history, read with partisan blinders.

"Democrat controlled regions" included most of the United States- including the entire Northeast- which pushed through the Civil Rights Act.

It would be more accurate to say "Conservatives opposed the CRA- liberals promoted the CRA"
“The degree of Republican support for the two bills actually exceeded the degree of Democratic support, and it’s also fair to say that Republicans took leading roles in both measures, even though they had far fewer seats, and thus less power, at the time,” PolitiFact said in a 2010 analysis of the GOP role in civil rights.

Have a nice day!

Forum List

Back