"Under God" bill fails to advance

The ClayTaurus said:
I dunno. It's pretty stupid for them to be so pissy about a word that in all reality should offend Christians as those who don't believe yet say it are patronizing.

But it's also stupid to draw up delusions of paranoid grandeur of the country falling apart after the word "God" is removed from the Pledge of Allegiance.

P is right. The stupid thing should go to a vote. It was put in without a vote and is trying to be taken out without a vote. Surely you'd be alright with letting the populous decide, right?

Why not?

Hey, since the left hates the phrase "under God" so much maybe while were at it we should also take out the phrase "to the United States of America" as well. It was added to the Pledge in the 1920s to help immigrant children know what country they were pledging to. Since "immigrants" aren't even required to obey the laws these days why not just drop that too?

Hey! Even better, maybe Michael Newdow & Michael Moore together will write us a new Pledge! :mm:

ScreamingEagle said:
Why not?

Hey, since the left hates the phrase "under God" so much maybe while were at it we should also take out the phrase "to the United States of America" as well. It was added to the Pledge in the 1920s to help immigrant children know what country they were pledging to. Since "immigrants" aren't even required to obey the laws these days why not just drop that too?

Hey! Even better, maybe Michael Newdow & Michael Moore together will write us a new Pledge! :mm:

no way---making people pledge to anything is cramming things down thier throat. How oppressive of you!:poke:

dilloduck said:
no way---making people pledge to anything is cramming things down thier throat. How oppressive of you!:poke:

Not MM style! The left would be pledging from the rooftops! :banana:

Children would be required to say it in school every morning.
Parents would be encouraged to join in.
Every school event would be prefaced by the Pledge.
Every political gathering would pray...er say the Pledge.

It's just a matter of getting the Pledge written CORRECTLY you know.

ScreamingEagle said:
Who was blacklisted and couldn't work? You mean the idiotic Hollywood Ten? :D

Personally, I think the left hates Ann Coulter so much because she is so right. :D

Why would I be surprised that the KGB had spies in the Democrat run U.S. State Department? Obviously McCarthy wasn't. Evidently it is the fools on the left who were surprised....yet who today still can't come to grips with the facts. The left continues to attack McCarthy who is an American hero and the left continues (just like your post) to defend and obfuscate the Communists on the left:

The Rosenbergs
Alger Hiss
Top Roosevelt aide Harry Dexter White
Top Roosevelt aide Laurence Duggan
At least a dozen other U.S. officials
More than 350 communist spies identified in the Venona cables.

See a pattern here?

McCarthy an American hero? Sorry, that's too revisionist for my blood.

Cheers.

ScreamingEagle said:
Why not?

Ummm....

feel better?

So you're down for sending "under God" to a vote, yeah?

The ClayTaurus said:
Ummm....

feel better?

So you're down for sending "under God" to a vote, yeah?

Nah. What's the point? Let's just cave to the lefties and strike it. And let's strike "United States of America" since it implies allegience to a single nation and is not all inclusive.

Let's strike "I pledge allegience" because we know lefties wouldn't have a clue what that means anyway.

Let's strike " and to the Republic for which it stands" since it stands for a Republic full of people that include descreating the very symbol they're allegedly pledging to.

And forget "indivisible." That sure as Hell ain't THIS place.

"Liberty?" Only those liberties ok'd by the ACLU, NAACP, and DNC.

"And justice for all" those who can afford it.

Let's just skip it and have a nonreligious moment of silence to pray for your favorite NBA player.

GunnyL said:
Nah. What's the point? Let's just cave to the lefties and strike it. And let's strike "United States of America" since it implies allegience to a single nation and is not all inclusive.

Let's strike "I pledge allegience" because we know lefties wouldn't have a clue what that means anyway.

Let's strike " and to the Republic for which it stands" since it stands for a Republic full of people that include descreating the very symbol they're allegedly pledging to.

Let's just skip it and have a nonreligious moment of silence to pray for your favorite NBA player.
How about you?

You feel better now?

I heard anecdotally today that the new Superman movie no longer has the phrase, for "Truth, Justice, and the American Way". Apparently, it now has a character asking if Superman is still for "Truth Justice, and all that other stuff".

GunnyL said:

No, no no...how about this for meaning?

I Pledge Allegiance... I Promise to be faithful and true (Promise my loyalty)

to the flag... to the emblem that stands for and represents

of the United States... all 50 states, each of them individual, and individually represented on the flag of America yet formed into a UNION of one Nation.

and to the Republic... And I also pledge my loyalty to the Government that is itself a Republic, a form of government where the PEOPLE are sovereign,

for which it stands... this government also being represented by the Flag to which I promise loyalty.

one Nation under God,...These 50 individual states are united as a single Republic under the Divine providence of God, "our most powerful resource" (according to the words of President Eisenhower)

Indivisible,... and can not be separated. (This part of the original version of the pledge was written just 50 years after the beginning of the Civil War and demonstrates the unity sought in the years after that divisive period in our history)

with Liberty...The people of this Nation being afforded the freedom to pursue "life, liberty, and happiness",

and Justice... And each person entitled to be treated justly, fairly, and according to proper law and principle,

for All. ... And these principles afforded to EVERY AMERICAN, regardless of race, religion, color, creed, or any other criteria. Just as the flag represents 50 individual states that can not be divided or separated, this Nation represents millions of people who can not be separated or divided.

That red part is the problem. No mention of God until 1954..reminds me of what's going on now in politics, lots of non-issue stuff targeting a base.

Mr. P said:
No, no no...how about this for meaning?

I Pledge Allegiance... I Promise to be faithful and true (Promise my loyalty)

to the flag... to the emblem that stands for and represents

of the United States... all 50 states, each of them individual, and individually represented on the flag of America yet formed into a UNION of one Nation.

and to the Republic... And I also pledge my loyalty to the Government that is itself a Republic, a form of government where the PEOPLE are sovereign,

for which it stands... this government also being represented by the Flag to which I promise loyalty.

one Nation under God,...These 50 individual states are united as a single Republic under the Divine providence of God, "our most powerful resource" (according to the words of President Eisenhower)

Indivisible,... and can not be separated. (This part of the original version of the pledge was written just 50 years after the beginning of the Civil War and demonstrates the unity sought in the years after that divisive period in our history)

with Liberty...The people of this Nation being afforded the freedom to pursue "life, liberty, and happiness",

and Justice... And each person entitled to be treated justly, fairly, and according to proper law and principle,

for All. ... And these principles afforded to EVERY AMERICAN, regardless of race, religion, color, creed, or any other criteria. Just as the flag represents 50 individual states that can not be divided or separated, this Nation represents millions of people who can not be separated or divided.

That red part is the problem. No mention of God until 1954..reminds me of what's going on now in politics, lots of non-issue stuff targeting a base.

ITA. This is just something for someone who doesn't have to work hard enough for a living to take issue with. I just have to wonder why it is the libs ALWAYS have to change something from what it is.

But you're right. This shouldn't be an issue at all, and it wouldn't be if we didn't feel some need to cater to the aberrant minority at the expense of the majority in this Nation.

btw ...1954 means it's been that way all of my life +5.

A rough draft of the liberals' new Pledge:

I pledge allegiance to
The flag of the country of my choice
And to the United Countries of America for which it stands
One nation under secular humanism and hedonistic relativism
Indivisible and homo-genized
With Liberty and Liberalism
And Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg
For All.

GunnyL said:
ITA. This is just something for someone who doesn't have to work hard enough for a living to take issue with. I just have to wonder why it is the libs ALWAYS have to change something from what it is.

But you're right. This shouldn't be an issue at all, and it wouldn't be if we didn't feel some need to cater to the aberrant minority at the expense of the majority in this Nation.

Ummmmmm...I could be wrong, but seems to me that Mr P is commenting that it was a political maneuver to rev up voters back in 1954 when it was put in, too.

ScreamingEagle said:
Why not?

Apples and oranges. Either the United States is a country, or it is not. No ifs or buts. It is a given.

However, a tonne of people do not believe in a god. Why should something they do not believe in, and was added no less than about 50 years ago, be in the pledge? The US will not dissolve and turn into a raging bastion of hell if the word is taken out....

Dr Grump said:
Apples and oranges. Either the United States is a country, or it is not. No ifs or buts. It is a given.

However, a tonne of people do not believe in a god. Why should something they do not believe in, and was added no less than about 50 years ago, be in the pledge? The US will not dissolve and turn into a raging bastion of hell if the word is taken out....

Nor will it become a theocracy if it's left in. It may collapse however, if we remove anything in America that offends someone. It's time to kill this strawman argument. Christianity is NOT killing America nor trying to create an oppressive theocracy. It's a target for people who want to do anything they damn well please no matter who thinks it wrong.

dilloduck said:
Nor will it become a theocracy if it's left in. It may collapse however, if we remove anything in America that offends someone. It's time to kill this strawman argument. Christianity is NOT killing America nor trying to create an oppressive theocracy. It's a target for people who want to do anything they damn well please no matter who thinks it wrong.

I think his point was that it's a non-issue. It's one of those get out the vote thingys.

Personally, I don't care if it's in or out, but before everyone gets het up about it, they should understand that when it was put in, it was for the same type of reason. Sound and fury signifying nothing. :flameth:

jillian said:
I think his point was that it's a non-issue. It's one of those get out the vote thingys.

Personally, I don't care if it's in or out, but before everyone gets het up about it, they should understand that when it was put in, it was for the same type of reason. Sound and fury signifying nothing. :flameth:

It was put in to propagate one idea of how America is different from communists.

The left didn't change the Pledge of Allegience, the right did in the 1950s. We want to change it back to it's original form. The way it was supposed to be. A secular oath of allegience to the United States.

As for McCarthy, he was scum. He was a drunk who ranted and raved and had no proof to back up any of his allegations. He finally got nailed and was disgraced. Even if you agree with his politics, his tactics were dispicable, and his activities and those of the House Un-American Activities Committee should be forever remembered as some of the most shameful in this nation's history.

acludem

acludem said:
As for McCarthy, he was scum. He was a drunk who ranted and raved and had no proof to back up any of his allegations. He finally got nailed and was disgraced. Even if you agree with his politics, his tactics were dispicable, and his activities and those of the House Un-American Activities Committee should be forever remembered as some of the most shameful in this nation's history.

acludem

By the left, that is.

So what if he liked his booze - you guys give the Kennedys a pass don't you? And the proof is there for you to see if you will just open your eyes and stop watching leftie films that attempt to demonize McCarthy. McCarthy was actually too easy and didn't target enough people when you realize the extent of the spy network right there in our State Department. Not to mention all the way up to the Presidency. People were given more than a fair hearing in court although the liberal press did everything they could to make a mockery of things. McCarthy was just doing his job but the lefties were defending Communists back then just as they continue to defend them now.

Good thing the real American people sided with McCarthy and did things like place "under God" in our Pledge to make a point.

ScreamingEagle said:
By the left, that is.

So what if he liked his booze - you guys give the Kennedys a pass don't you? And the proof is there for you to see if you will just open your eyes and stop watching leftie films that attempt to demonize McCarthy. McCarthy was actually too easy and didn't target enough people when you realize the extent of the spy network right there in our State Department. Not to mention all the way up to the Presidency. People were given more than a fair hearing in court although the liberal press did everything they could to make a mockery of things. McCarthy was just doing his job but the lefties were defending Communists back then just as they continue to defend them now.

Good thing the real American people sided with McCarthy and did things like place "under God" in our Pledge to make a point.
How in the hell would you know about the "true" McCarthy? You guys went golfin' together or some shit?

Ted Kennedy, as far I know, has never shown up for work in a drunken stupor, this was common for McCarthy. McCarthy's tactics threatened the very freedom that allows us to have this discussion openly. If McCarthy had won out, freedom of speech in this country would be severely limited.

acludem

Forum List

Back