"Under God" bill fails to advance

acludem said:
Ted Kennedy, as far I know, has never shown up for work in a drunken stupor, this was common for McCarthy. McCarthy's tactics threatened the very freedom that allows us to have this discussion openly. If McCarthy had won out, freedom of speech in this country would be severely limited.

acludem

And if he had made no effort at all we would probably be a communist country.

dilloduck said:
And if he had made no effort at all we would probably be a communist country.

Don't be such a DQ. The US was never close to being, and never will be, a communist country. It is OTT and empty rhetoric like that that gives right-wing extremists a rallying point. I expect that type of bollocks from Darin etc, not you Dillo.....

Dr Grump said:
Don't be such a DQ. The US was never close to being, and never will be, a communist country. It is OTT and empty rhetoric like that that gives right-wing extremists a rallying point. I expect that type of bollocks from Darin etc, not you Dillo.....
:lame2:

Here's an article to help open eyes and recognize a brave American:
(some excerps)

Senator Joseph McCarthy's Charges 'now accepted as fact'
By Jon Basil Utley

WASHINGTON, February 8, 2000 -- Although Joseph McCarthy was one of the most demonized American politicians of the last century, new information -- including half-century-old FBI recordings of Soviet embassy conversations -- are showing that McCarthy was right in nearly all his accusations.

"With Joe McCarthy it was the losers who've written the history which condemns him," said Dan Flynn, director of Accuracy in Academia's recent national conference on McCarthy, broadcast by C-SPAN.

Using new information obtained from studies of old Soviet files in Moscow and now the famous Vanona Intercepts -- FBI recordings of Soviet embassy communications between 1944-48 -- the record is showing that McCarthy was essentially right. He had many weaknesses, but almost every case he charged has now been proven correct. Whether it was stealing atomic secrets or influencing U.S. foreign policy, communist victories in the 1940s were fed by an incredibly vast spy and influence network.
-----------
Although most of McCarthy's cases involved actual spies and "security risks," the really important issue was that of communist influence over American foreign policy, argued Evans. Harry Hopkins, Roosevelt's closest advisor who lived in the White House, had regular contacts with Soviet intelligence. He helped bring about the disastrous Yalta and Pottsdam agreements. The Morganthau Plan, to prevent German reconstruction and starve the Germans to make them desperate enough to go communist, was the product of Laughlin Currie and Harry Dexter White at the Treasury Department. The abandonment of Chiang Kai-shek by denying military support was the product of "China Hands" led by John Stewart Service, John Patton Davies, and Lattimore. Evans described other major spy networks -- in England, the Burgess Maclean group which infiltrated Washington as well as London.
--------------
Joe McCarthy had been a Marine air gunner, an amateur boxer, a county judge and towards his end, under constant attack, he began to drink heavily. Herman said he certainly was over his head and his fall came about after sweeping attacks on General Marshall and the Army. Senator Taft and other key supporters began to draw away from him.
-------------
On the evening of May 1, 1957, while convalescing from a bout of hepatitis at Bethesda Naval Hospital in Maryland, the courageous Senator was quietly administered poisonous carbon tetrachloride by persons unknown. (Eight years earlier the CIA had murdered Secretary of Defense, James Forrestal, in that same hospital. Forrestal had been working on an expose of Soviet espoinage rings in the Pentagon and treason in the Truman Administration when he was suddenly silenced in 1949).

http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/jmc.htm

acludem said:
As for judicial activism, Justices Scalia and Thomas are the two activist judges on the current court. Don't believe me? Read Scalia's decisions in the latest death penalty case and his opinion on knock and identify.

acludem

Did Scalia rule on grounds that were extrinsic to the U.S. Constitution? I'll bet not - and that is the true, practical definition of judicial activism. I've tried discussing this with jillian, and it's no use; she won't hear a disparaging word, or trouble herself reading anything that might upset her prejudices. She would define a judicial activist as a barrister who vigorously pedals a bicycle, if that's the answer that would save Roe v. Wade. And Roe v. Wade can't be saved; it is doomed for the simple reason that it is bad law. It is bad law because it is the result of judicial tyranny - a spectacular leap of interpretational fantasy that places the central government - in the person of the federal judiciary - squarely in the middle of matters of personal behavior, where it is expressly forbidden, by the Constitution, to go.

So, if the term "judicial activism" has been bastardized by the left, to the point where intelligent discussions actually get bogged down in pointless quibbling, I shall cease to use it. Instead, I'll employ the term "judicial tyranny". It comes down to the same thing. It is the usurpation of specific, constitutionally assigned powers that, for a time, converted central government into unelected, unaccountable feudal lords, who fancied themselves social engineers rather than servants of the people. And, it's over. It's a dead man walking, though people like us may debate its pros and cons on message boards until doomsday. Our society will still smart from the occasional, isolated manifestation of its insanity. But, the trend is clear. The people have spoken, and that still actually matters.

jillian said:
Ummmmmm...I could be wrong, but seems to me that Mr P is commenting that it was a political maneuver to rev up voters back in 1954 when it was put in, too.

Now you presume to speak for Mr P? What's your point anyhoo? I'd have had better things to do back then too.

So how long does a mistake have to exist before it changes from a mistake to a tradition that we'll keep around just because it's a certain age?

MissileMan said:
So how long does a mistake have to exist before it changes from a mistake to a tradition that we'll keep around just because it's a certain age?

First and foremost, it has to be proven a mistake. Obviously, on this particular issue, many do not feel that it is.

MissileMan said:

Good question. I'm not sure. How old are you?

Forum List

Back