"Under God" bill fails to advance

GunnyL said:
Yeah you did, in your haste to run your mouth and point a finger. Give it up.

LOL! LOL! LOL! Still waiting for you to show where you got Mr P's point. Oh wait...right...you didn't.

I'm bored.... will look for more of your words of wisdom later. :cof:

GunnyL said:
First and foremost, it has to be proven a mistake. Obviously, on this particular issue, many do not feel that it is.

I believe that there are people trying to get a court to decide that very thing. "Under God" has been in the pledge my whole life as well and doesn't bother me one iota.

Back to the original question though, assuming it's a bona fide mistake, how long before it becomes a tradition?

If President Bush decided on a whim to issue an executive order to afix a strip of white cloth with the word "GOD" to the top of every US flag, do you think it would fly? (pun intended) Do you think such an action would be construed as an unconstitutional conjoining of church and state? An argument could be made that this change would echo the sentiments of the pledge.

jillian said:
LOL! LOL! LOL! Still waiting for you to show where you got Mr P's point. Oh wait...right...you didn't.

I'm bored.... will look for more of your words of wisdom later. :cof:

Guess you ought to try reading what I posted again, troll.

MissileMan said:
I believe that there are people trying to get a court to decide that very thing. "Under God" has been in the pledge my whole life as well and doesn't bother me one iota.

Back to the original question though, assuming it's a bona fide mistake, how long before it becomes a tradition?

If President Bush decided on a whim to issue an executive order to afix a strip of white cloth with the word "GOD" to the top of every US flag, do you think it would fly? (pun intended) Do you think such an action would be construed as an unconstitutional conjoining of church and state? An argument could be made that this change would echo the sentiments of the pledge.

Naturally, I would say once something is identified as "mistake," steps should be taken immediately to correct it.

The flag represents the Nation, not the Pledge. The Pledge is to the flag which represents the Nation. Since the "God" in the pledge is not literally religion/denomination-specific, I don't see that literally it reflects anything more than the majority in this Nation being religious.

I do not think religion in government automatically means theocracy, nor a conflict between church and state. The context of the Constitution is pretty clear. A church (single religious organization) cannot control our government. I just don't see that here.

dilloduck said:
And if he had made no effort at all we would probably be a communist country.

Given that the majority of the people whose lives he ruined weren't affiliated in any way with the communist party, that's a laugh. He was a drunk, a bully and a coward who never hesitated to kick someone if it was to his advantage, especially if they were already down.

Forum List

Back