U.S. government funds mosque renovation and rehabilitation around the world

Yurt

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2004
Hot air ballon
U.S. government funds mosque renovation and rehabilitation around the world

While much attention has been focused on questions surrounding the Ground Zero mosque and the appropriateness of the State Department funding Ground Zero mosque imam Feisal Abdul Rauf’s trip to the Middle East, little attention has been given to the fact that U.S. taxpayer money is funding mosque development around the world.

Just a cursory search of the term “mosque” on the State Department’s list of “projects” reveals 26 examples of federal funds going to fund construction, renovation, and rehabilitation of various mosques abroad. The benefiting countries include Bulgaria, Pakistan, Mali, Tunisia, Afghanistan, Benin, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Albania, Egypt, Tunisia, the Maldives, Yemen, Turkmenistan, Tanzania, Uganda, Azerbaijan, Sudan, Serbia and Montenegro.

The U.S. Ambassadors Fund for Cultural Preservation (AFCP) — which is putting millions toward “heritage preservation” projects in the developing world — financed mosque-related projects in all the aforementioned countries.

In Montenegro, for example, the State Department has funded an effort to restore and conserve the Shadrvan (Fountain) of the Old Mosque in Pljevlja. According to the State Department’s website, without needed repairs there would not be a sufficient place for ritual washing before prayer.

Read more: U.S. government funds mosque renovation and rehabilitation around the world | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

not sure what to make of this....seems this has been happening since 2003, and nothing indicates it is soley reserved for mosques or any religion....

is this a violation of the 1st amendment?

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
we fund and protect the talibans herion supply and also fund the same mosques in saudi arabi that the 9/11 hijackers were radicalized in, but building a mosque in NY will suddenly make us complicit with terrorists!

I mean, it's just kinda moronic. If you're against foreign aid, then of course, this is terrible, it's just another example of government waste. If you are in favour of foreign aid, it just comes with the territory. I mean, places of worship are valuable services in general, for most people, whether in the US or elsewhere. It's not surprising that some money would go for restoring places of worship. Whether these are Jewish Synagogues or Christian Churches or Islamic Mosques is irrelevant though. It's a context thing.

I mean, it's just kinda moronic. If you're against foreign aid, then of course, this is terrible, it's just another example of government waste. If you are in favour of foreign aid, it just comes with the territory. I mean, places of worship are valuable services in general, for most people, whether in the US or elsewhere. It's not surprising that some money would go for restoring places of worship. Whether these are Jewish Synagogues or Christian Churches or Islamic Mosques is irrelevant though. It's a context thing.

It's not surprising that some money would go for restoring places of worship. Whether these are Jewish Synagogues or Christian Churches or Islamic Mosques is irrelevant though. It's a context thing.

You are not making any sense. What Jewish Synagogues or Christian Churches has Americas tax payers money been used to rebuild it?

It's not surprising that some money would go for restoring places of worship. Whether these are Jewish Synagogues or Christian Churches or Islamic Mosques is irrelevant though. It's a context thing.

You are not making any sense. What Jewish Synagogues or Christian Churches has Americas tax payers money been used to rebuild it?

I'm not finding any money being spent by the US to restore any religious buildings, other than mosques. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that money would be used to do so, if destroyed by tsunami or other disaster?

"heritage preservation".... here's an idea.... let's start with the US Constitution, not just the document but the country it created.

I'm just saying that if, say, Israel got hit by a massive quake and the US government sent more aid, some of that aid would go into rebuilding synagogues. I'm sure at least some part of the aid given to Haiti has been used to rebuild churches there. It just goes unreported because rebuilding a church is perfectly fine, but rebuilding a mosque is a no-no.

"heritage preservation".... here's an idea.... let's start with the US Constitution, not just the document but the country it created.

It's probably more productive to work backwards, like starting with funding for ANY of these "projects." Ya think? I'll bet all foreign aid "projects" could be cut in half and none of those foreigners (the actual people, that is) would even notice.

Forum List

Back