Two Words: Nuclear Option

If Dems go nuclear they will lose 100 House seats in 2010

They won't use reconciliation won't work for them anyways, since it's limited to budgetary and taxation items only. So basically if the Senate Bill were subject to reconciliation the only parts of it that would survive would be the tax increases and medicare cuts, anything else would be subject to points of order challenges requiring 60 votes to overcome.

Look, the public already distrusts shady backroom tactics by the Dums. Obama's approval ratings are plummeting, esp among the press, for his reneging on his C-SPAN pledge. Using some bizarre move will only increase the public's perception that the Dums have hijacked America.
Enough Democrats are scared enough of the electorate that they won't do it. Even Obama has ruled it out.

Wow, this is fascinating. You people are really jumping to put this notion down as fast as you can.

How interesting.
See this?

He now realizes he made a fool of himself and will claim that he really was just 'playing' us. :lol:

What are you talking about? I didn't reverse my opinion. I just think your reaction is backing it up.
You can actually hear circus music when reading your posts.

Senate Republicans don't even represent 40% of the nations population.

Due to the fact that most of them are from small population states, in total, Senate Republicans represent about 25% of the population.

The fact that representatives of 25% of the population can stop legislation from passing is disgusting.
<SNIP>

The US is a federation of states, as the country's name implies - "The United States of America." America has a bicameral legislature: The lower body represents the people, the upper body represents the states.

Eh, I was ACTUALLY listening to the interviews they had with ACTUAL democrats after the election. They were asked on why they voted the way they did. You might actually try doing that, you would come off a lot smarter than you are on this thread, Vast. It was not only because of healthcare, although that was part of it. it was about obama politics that they didn't like, Vast. But do carry on, I find you very interesting on this thread. :lol:

You mean the interviews that were held by the talking heads who, as I already stated, are trying to get ratings?

What channel were you watching these "interviews" on I wonder?

LOL.

Just an angry public that is seeing no transparency, just closed door talks, hoodwinks, lies.

Yeah, eight months of publicly debating the health care bill. Debating it just long enough for the millions of dollars the insurance industry is pumping into propaganda to have an effect.

Wow, such a lack of transparency.

And of course all the "lies"...

Like "Death Panels" and "eugenics" being in the bill.

If Dems go nuclear they will lose 100 House seats in 2010

Seriously, you people were prepared for this. You all have the EXACT same response.

Where did you get the talking point anyway?

Townhall.com? FoxNews? NewsMax?

Really, I'm curious.

Wait, wait, I found it.

Apparently FoxNews is pretending that Dick Durbin, when referencing Reconciliation, was supposedly actually talking about the "Nuclear Option" and ran a piece saying Durbin had been threatening the Nuclear Option.

And the talking points ran from there.

Of course the two things are completely different, but what does FoxNews care about pesky things like "the facts"?

You do realize that if you managed to use the nuclear option and get this bill passed, you've made it so much easier for us to repeal the bill dont you?

Wait, wait, I found it.

Apparently FoxNews is pretending that Dick Durbin, when referencing Reconciliation, was supposedly actually talking about the "Nuclear Option" and ran a piece saying Durbin had been threatening the Nuclear Option.

And the talking points ran from there.

Of course the two things are completely different, but what does FoxNews care about pesky things like "the facts"?

69455200807201355190000006749.gif

Due to the fact that most of them are from small population states, in total, Senate Republicans represent about 25% of the population.

The fact that representatives of 25% of the population can stop legislation from passing is disgusting.

It's time for the "Nuclear Option".

It's completely constitutional, and has been a long time in coming.

Hell, it should have happened in 1957, the first time it was proposed.

You made an interesting assumption here, and aside from my answer in an earlier post (number 124) in which I debunked your representative fallacy; on second thought I decided to check the assumptions you made about population;

This is a surprising result. I used 2000 census data, since that gave me the most ease in tallying population figures for the states. Assuming that growth of population has been roughly proportional through out the states, then the proportional comparison should still be in line; I suspect that the R states have grown more than the D states considering the growth of Florida, Texas, Nevada, and the loss of population growth of New York, California, New Jersey, and possibly Michigan, and Pennsylvania.

Of the 28 states having republican US Senators:

State totals 138,081,893 / US total 281,422,000 = 49% in the year 2000

Last edited:
Vast has really had a meltdown from this election.
By the way, Dr. Lunz was doing the interviews....a middle of the road person.
I just don't want to interrupt your meltdown, I find it very interesting. :lol:

Here's something most liberals haven't a clue about.
Reconciliation procedure:
Reconciliation generally involves legislation that changes the budget deficit (or conceivably, the surplus). The "Byrd Rule" (2 U.S.C. § 644, named after Democratic Senator Robert Byrd) was adopted in 1985 and amended in 1990 to outline which provisions reconciliation can and cannot be used for. The Byrd Rule defines a provision to be "extraneous" (and therefore ineligible for reconciliation) in six cases:

1.if it does not produce a change in outlays or revenues;
2.if it produces an outlay increase or revenue decrease when the instructed committee is not in compliance with its instructions;
3.if it is outside the jurisdiction of the committee that submitted the title or provision for inclusion in the reconciliation measure;
4.if it produces a change in outlays or revenues which is merely incidental to the non-budgetary components of the provision;
5.if it would increase the deficit for a fiscal year beyond those covered by the reconciliation measure, though the provisions in question may receive an exception if they in total in a Title of the measure net to a reduction in the deficit; and
6.if it recommends changes in Social Security.
Any Senator may raise a procedural objection to a provision believed to be extraneous, which will then be ruled on by the presiding Senator. A vote of 60 Senators is required to overturn the ruling.
Reconciliation (United States Congress) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In other words...since the current bribe ridden healthcare Bill contains literally thousands of "policy" procedures and changes the Bill, ALL 2,400 PAGES, must be gone over LINE BY LINE and then determined if Reconciliation applies to that sentence.

I think the current healthcare bill is dead.....

Just an angry public that is seeing no transparency, just closed door talks, hoodwinks, lies.

Yeah, eight months of publicly debating the health care bill. Debating it just long enough for the millions of dollars the insurance industry is pumping into propaganda to have an effect.

Wow, such a lack of transparency.

And of course all the "lies"...

Like "Death Panels" and "eugenics" being in the bill.

oh yes transparency, I went to a town hall meeting and heard nothing about Nebraska, and unions not paying till 2017, pharmecutical back dealing where we cannot get lower cost meds from canada, Lousiania deal, taxing of cadallac plans, fines if you do not get insurance, basically all the things in the current bill were not discussed at all. no tort reform, geesh from what they produced in those eight months was nothing of the sort of what was discussed, transparency my butt. all those deals were made in back rooms with no oversite. so we run into the problem of vote buying.

Appearances are that this Administration is very very inept with hardly any experience, hell look at his cabinet, most of the people in it and his advisors caused the housing and banking mess. I realize the right have some loons as well but geesh they are not in power, Obama is doing this. The health care was rewritten and rewritten numerous times with so many deals lined into it and this is what you want? Lets get it right the first time and then we can do it, no dealings with the lobbyists if you have the money we can write into this bill what you want, is what Obama is saying with this bill.

If this bill is sooo great why not come out and say it, why redirect and focus only on certain things but not look at any effects it might have, With Obama's oratory skills this should not be a problem..........what am I getting wrong?

I can point out misconceptions and lies and scare tactics in all of obama's speeches on health care and the Economy and cap and trade, so what is it just the right lies about it? oh I know they do.....but the person in power spewing forth these kind of tactics is alot more disturbing in my opinion.

It's time for the "Nuclear Option".

It's completely constitutional, and has been a long time in coming.

Hell, it should have happened in 1957, the first time it was proposed.
It would be much more environmentally responsible to nuke the heavily democratic population centers .

The Democrats sure were singing a different tune when they were in the minority and obstructing everything the GOP wanted to do.

Guess that is okay though, huh?

Legislation got passed. The Republicans didn't use the "Nuclear Option" because the Democrats didn't filibuster.

Of course, how silly of me. All those judicial nominations didnt get seated because Democrats didnt fillibuster... It didnt happen.

Delusional.

I seem to remember Robert "KKK'' Byrd talking for a ridiculous amount of time covering every stupid pet he had in his long, full of shit life. This guy has been elected over and over and is 4th in line to be President!!!! The left has nothing they can say about anyone on the right as long as they let this guy remain in Congress! How much time has this dip shit wasted at that podium?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxLV0bVysnk&feature=related]YouTube - Robert Byrd Lectures His Colleagues On Timbuktu[/ame]

Legislation got passed. The Republicans didn't use the "Nuclear Option" because the Democrats didn't filibuster.

Of course, how silly of me. All those judicial nominations didnt get seated because Democrats didnt fillibuster... It didnt happen.

Delusional.

I seem to remember Robert "KKK'' Byrd talking for a ridiculous amount of time covering every stupid pet he had in his long, full of shit life. This guy has been elected over and over and is 4th in line to be President!!!! The left has nothing they can say about anyone on the right as long as they let this guy remain in Congress! How much time has this dip shit wasted at that podium?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxLV0bVysnk&feature=related]YouTube - Robert Byrd Lectures His Colleagues On Timbuktu[/ame]
LOL I meani it!

Forum List

Back