Two Questions for our Liberal friends

Discussion in 'Politics' started by crpravens, Oct 14, 2010.

1. crpravens

crpravens Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    1. How will higher taxes increase employment rates...

2. Why should I care if high income earners get more dollars back than lower income earners from tax cuts...

2. ClosedCaption

ClosedCaption Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,155
    1. It won't and lower taxes doesn't do it either. Lower taxes only puts more money in your pockets, it doesn't create jobs.

2. You don't have to care about the deficit or more money in your pocket but I do.

3. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,683
    Cool beans, if we are not worrying about more money in the pockets we don't have to worry about unemployment checks. So no need for pockets or for jobs. Problem solved.

4. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    1. Taxes are what pays for roads, bridges, police, fireman, mail, schools, clean water, electricity, new technology, new drugs, safe drugs, safe food, court houses, the military, veterans benefits and a whole lot of other things we take for granted. In other words, "Taxes is the price we pay to live in a civil society".

2. A progressive tax basically removes the needs to audit to crap out of everyone of those CEOs who have no trouble voting themselves multimillion dollar bonuses while cutting benefits (which have to be picked up by the gov) and jobs.

5. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,326
    1. Cutting taxes without a corresponding cut in spending adds to the deficit. Borrowing money (adding to national debt) to pay for arbitrary tax cuts is not good fiscal policy

2. I care because in my lifetime I have seen a shift of wealth from the middle class to the wealthiest Americans. I can see the difference between my fathers generation and mine in terms of what is affordable on a single middle class salary. I see the middle class making do with less while the wealthy claim a higher percentage of available wealth. I think this is one reason not to continue tax breaks for those who do not need them

6. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,931
    They won't. Who is claiming that they will?
    They won't hurt employment rates either.
    The tax system is already incredibly regressive. The richest people in America pay less of a percentage of their income in tax than I do. You want to make it more so?

7. edthecynic

edthecynic Censored for Cynicism

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,690
    The truly wealthy pay no taxes already, so why is there unemployment???

8. shintao

shintao Take Down ~ Tap Out

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +339
    It would provide more education, training, apprentiships,, relocation & placements opportunities.

The only reason I see is more people will have more money to spend, and more likely to spend it than the affluenent. Question should be, why have taxcuts to begin with? Only take what they need and then leave you alone.

9. JFK_USA

JFK_USA Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +725
    1. Higher and lower taxes don't affect the rich's reasons to invest. Thats essentially the thought process of trickle down economies. Rich get more money back and they invest into companies who use that money to create jobs. The problem with that now is while the Dow and the markets are doing much better, no jobs are being created. So we have one part that is going as planned, the rich are investing. But the top 2% will always invest regardless if they pay 39% of their marginal tax rate or 69%.

Also think of this. A small business owner can practically write off everything but clothing for his taxes as the cost of doing business. Now if uniforms are included in that is a different topic for a different day. These CEOs and Business owners already write off food, shelter, vehicles, and other things off of their taxes. These businesses provide houses for their other executives so they can write it off on their taxes to pay the smallest amount possible. The average American citizen can't do that and pays a higher percentage of their income to taxes.

2. Its not about cuts, obviously the fairest way is the people who pay the most get the most in return. The problem is their were no cuts in spending. Which causes deficits in the long run. You can't keep cutting revenue into your business and not decrease costs. The Republicans and Democrats should cut spending BUT

Spending and Taxes are the biggest political conundrum. No one likes paying taxes. When I worked at White Castle, people bitched about the taxes. But when you hear that a school has to cut their budgets and lay off teachers, people get upset about it. People want to pay less taxes, but as soon as a politician mentions what they want to cut. People throw a fit and complain you can't cut that. Cut something else.

I live in Missouri, our roads sucks. We need to fix them, but we can't because our revenues are down. I went to Mizzou, but each year they had to raise tuition because what they got from the state kept decreasing. So poorer students can't get an education because even state universities can't have an education at an affordable price.

At the end of the day, the people who have the means to pay more in taxes need to pay more in taxes. They aren't creating jobs and their tax rates right now are lower since Reagan was president. I mean if they aren't going to create jobs, you don't need the money.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,683
    How is this, let's tax the shit out of the rich and corporations working out in Californication? doyathink? Asswipes.