Two more Census workers blow the whistle

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
stuff left out

But first, this much we know.

Each month Census gives Labor a figure on the number of workers it has hired. That figure goes into the closely followed monthly employment report Labor provides. For the past two months the hiring by Census has made up a good portion of the new jobs.

Labor doesn't check the Census hiring figure or whether the jobs are actually new or recycled. It considers a new job to have been created if someone is hired to work at least one hour a month.

One hour! A month! So, if a worker is terminated after only one hour and another is hired in her place, then a second new job can apparently be reported to Labor . (I've been unable to get Census to explain this to me.)

Here's a note from a Census worker -- this one from Manhattan:

"John: I am on my fourth rehire with the 2010 Census.

"I have been hired, trained for a week, given a few hours of work, then laid off. So my unemployed self now counts for four new jobs.

"I have been paid more to train all four times than I have been paid to actually produce results. These are my tax dollars and your tax dollars at work.

"A few months ago I was trained for three days and offered five hours of work counting the homeless. Now, I am knocking (on) doors trying to find the people that have not returned their Census forms. I worked the 2000 Census. It was a far more organized venture.

"Have to run and meet my crew leader, even though with this rain I did not work today. So I can put in a pay sheet for the hour or hour and a half this meeting will take. Sincerely, C.M."

And here's another:

"John: I worked for (Census) and I was paid $18.75 (an hour) just like Ms. Naomi Cohn from your article.

"I worked for about six weeks or so and I picked the hours I wanted to work. I was checking the work of others. While I was classifying addresses, another junior supervisor was checking my work.

"In short, we had a "checkers checking checkers" quality control. I was eventually let go and was told all the work was finished when, in fact, other people were being trained for the same assignment(s).

"I was re-hired about eight months later and was informed that I would have to go through one week of additional training.

"On the third day of training, I got sick and visited my doctor. I called my supervisor and asked how I can make up the class. She informed me that I was 'terminated.' She elaborated that she had to terminate three other people for being five minutes late to class.

"I did get two days' pay and I am sure the 'late people' got paid also. I think you would concur that this is an expensive way to attempt to control sickness plus lateness. I am totally convinced that the Census work could be very easily done by the US Postal Service.

"When I was trying to look for an address or had a question about a building, I would ask the postman on the beat. They knew the history of the route and can expand in detail who moved in or out etc. I have found it interesting that if someone works one hour, they are included in the labor statistics as a new job being full.

"I am not surprised that you can't get any answers from Census staff; I found there were very few people who knew the big picture. M.G."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busine...blow_the_OqY80N3DBTvL17VmxKKR0O#ixzz0p42IDcWc

Read more: Two more Census workers blow the whistle - NYPOST.com

this is something people should be raising hell about...not refusing to return the forms but questioning all this money etc...i have been rehired 3 times.....i dont think i have worked a total of 50 hours in all 3 of them....i have not worked one minute since the last training....

Last edited:
Interesting article Bones. Just so you know, I put the title of the article into the heading since the link was messing up the new posts and current events page. - Modbert

Of course you wouldn't. It doesn't reinforce your twisted worldview.

For the those of us who pay attention to economics, it's been clear for some time that the Obama Administration has been manipulating the unemployment stats with temp census workers (as well as the doling out of stimulus funds to preserve public employee union jobs).

i would believe my own experiences however...and this is exactly what i am doing..checking the work of others....others who were less trained...its just a huge cluster fuck...even the ny post sees that....

i woudln't believe the ny post if it's papers were notarized. lol.

I wonder who owns it. :eusa_whistle:

New York Post - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Post has been criticized since the beginning of Murdoch's ownership for what many[who?] consider its lurid headlines, sensationalism, blatant advocacy and conservative bias. In 1980, the Columbia Journalism Review opined that "the New York Post is no longer merely a journalistic problem. It is a social problem – a force for evil."[29]

Perhaps the most serious allegation against the Post is that it is willing to contort its news coverage to suit the business needs of Murdoch, in particular that the paper has avoided reporting anything that is unflattering to the government of the People's Republic of China. Murdoch has invested heavily in satellite television in China and wants to maintain the favor of local media regulators.[30]

Ian Spiegelman, a former homosexual reporter for the paper's Page Six gossip column who had been fired by the paper in 2004,[31] said in a statement for a lawsuit against the paper that in 2001 he was ordered to kill an item on Page Six about a Chinese diplomat and a strip club because it would have "angered the Communist regime and endangered Murdoch’s broadcast privileges."

Critics say that the Post allows its editorial positions to shape its story selection and news coverage. But as the Post executive editor Steven D. Cuozzo, sees it, it was the Post that "broke the elitist media stranglehold on the national agenda."

According to a survey conducted by Pace University in 2004, the Post was rated the least-credible major news outlet in New York, and the only news outlet to receive more responses calling it "not credible" than credible (44% not credible to 39% credible).[32]

i would believe my own experiences however...and this is exactly what i am doing..checking the work of others....others who were less trained...its just a huge cluster fuck...even the ny post sees that....

Sorry. You mentioned something anti-Obama, so some people will naturally get upset and try to marginalize your sources.

Each month Census gives Labor a figure on the number of workers it has hired.
Untrue.
Each month the Bureau of Labor Statistics conducts a survey of businesses and government and it asks "how many people were on the payroll for the pay period that includes the 12th of the month?" It does NOT ask and is NOT a measure of new hires.

That figure goes into the closely followed monthly employment report Labor provides. For the past two months the hiring by Census has made up a good portion of the new jobs.
"New jobs" simply means the net difference between one month and the next. So it total employement was 120,000,000 one month and 120,500,000 the next, that would be 500,000 new jobs even if in reality 2 million people were hired (and 1.5 million left their jobs).

Labor doesn't check the Census hiring figure or whether the jobs are actually new or recycled. It considers a new job to have been created if someone is hired to work at least one hour a month.
No, it considers a person to be on the payroll if the person was on the payroll (which would be a min of one hour). Again, it doesn't count hires.

One hour! A month! So, if a worker is terminated after only one hour and another is hired in her place, then a second new job can apparently be reported to Labor . (I've been unable to get Census to explain this to me.)
Sure, but that's true for all businesses. That's 2 people on the payroll during that pay period. There's really no way around that. And how does it make a difference if the person worked an hour or a week and was then replaced? It's still only 2 people on the payroll.

"I have been hired, trained for a week, given a few hours of work, then laid off. So my unemployed self now counts for four new jobs.
Untrue, unless it was all in the same pay period, which seems unlikely. Additionally, I don't know how Census manages their books, but would the same person turn up twice on the payroll records if they were fired and then rehired in the same pay period? That seems unlikely to me.

So while there are issues with the Census, this whole "multiple counting for new jobs" is bullshit by people who don't know what they're talking about.

stuff left out

Each month Census gives Labor a figure on the number of workers it has hired. That figure goes into the closely followed monthly employment report Labor provides. For the past two months the hiring by Census has made up a good portion of the new jobs.

"I have been paid more to train all four times than I have been paid to actually produce results. These are my tax dollars and your tax dollars at work.

"A few months ago I was trained for three days and offered five hours of work counting the homeless. Now, I am knocking (on) doors trying to find the people that have not returned their Census forms. I worked the 2000 Census. It was a far more organized venture.

"Have to run and meet my crew leader, even though with this rain I did not work today. So I can put in a pay sheet for the hour or hour and a half this meeting will take. Sincerely, C.M."

And here's another:

"John: I worked for (Census) and I was paid $18.75 (an hour) just like Ms. Naomi Cohn from your article.

"I worked for about six weeks or so and I picked the hours I wanted to work. I was checking the work of others. While I was classifying addresses, another junior supervisor was checking my work.

"In short, we had a "checkers checking checkers" quality control. I was eventually let go and was told all the work was finished when, in fact, other people were being trained for the same assignment(s).

"I was re-hired about eight months later and was informed that I would have to go through one week of additional training.

"On the third day of training, I got sick and visited my doctor. I called my supervisor and asked how I can make up the class. She informed me that I was 'terminated.' She elaborated that she had to terminate three other people for being five minutes late to class.

"I did get two days' pay and I am sure the 'late people' got paid also. I think you would concur that this is an expensive way to attempt to control sickness plus lateness. I am totally convinced that the Census work could be very easily done by the US Postal Service.

"When I was trying to look for an address or had a question about a building, I would ask the postman on the beat. They knew the history of the route and can expand in detail who moved in or out etc. I have found it interesting that if someone works one hour, they are included in the labor statistics as a new job being full.

"I am not surprised that you can't get any answers from Census staff; I found there were very few people who knew the big picture. M.G."

this is something people should be raising hell about...not refusing to return the forms but questioning all this money etc...i have been rehired 3 times.....i dont think i have worked a total of 50 hours in all 3 of them....i have not worked one minute since the last training....

Well I guess thats one way to "create" jobs :eusa_eh:

stuff left out

And here's another:

Color me shocked :eusa_whistle:

Two more Census workers blow the whistle

If you ran on "Hope and Change" and unemployment was still in the toilet, wouldn't you play statistical tricks with the unemployment figures?

Only if I had wasted $787 BILLION on a phony stimulus plan that was supposed to keep unemployment below 8%.

What do you mean? He hasn't even spent most of that yet, it's set aside for the next few months. The propaganda for the recovering economy hasn't even started yet.

Two things still remain facts.

1. The Census jobs will come to an end before November.
2. The Census is not being conducted in an efficient manner. Cards in the mail telling you your Census is coming, training people and then not using them for very many hours and the like are not how you run a good business.

To quote myself on Census Productivity:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/116209-census-productivity.html

The Census just added 600,000 more workers for the door to door count.

I’ve discovered that many of our new enumerators, working on the Nonresponse Followup activities of the 2010 Census, are Facebook fans or have looked at my blog, so this is a message to them:

Welcome to the 2010 Census!

You are the heart of the operations for the second half of the census. To everyone you meet as an enumerator, you are also the face of the US Federal government. It’s a big responsibility; you must treat everyone with respect, even though not everyone will treat you with similar respect.

Our “customers” are those who have not yet been counted. You’ll probably meet some people with very little understanding of the census, and some with very deep understanding. Each person will have their own perspective on what we’re asking of them. Listening to what they have to say is an important step for you to effectively communicate our message to them.

You’re probably working in neighborhoods around your own home, but may have assignments in parts that aren’t as familiar to you. One of the interesting things in the job is meeting people you ordinarily would not know. It’s an adventure; remember to enjoy that part of the job.

We are relying on you – to make sure we count everyone once and only once and in the right place. We are asking about the April 1, 2010, composition of the houses you visit. You’ll probably find some complicated situations that aren’t easy applications of the training guidelines. Ask for help when you need it, to make sure we get things right.

According to the Census website, the total field operations for the Census consists of 1.2M people.

Math:

There are approx. 113M households in the U.S. The response rate on the census was 72% ( 2010 Census ), which means 31.6M households need to be visited.

With 1.2M field operations staff, that comes to 26 households to visit person, or 52 if working in teams of two. The door-door phase goes from May through July, 3 months. Assuming 60 workdays (which is what a normal person would work during this time)...well, let's lower it to 52, that means only 1 household visit per team per day.

I don't get it. I suspect there is a minority of Census workers who are quite busy (at least a couple of them are USMB members) while a bunch of them are doing nothing. My guesstimate is that the census is overstaffed by a factor of at least 3X.

stuff left out

And here's another:

Who cares? The census is a joke. Both sides will lie and try to use it for political gain.

stuff left out

And here's another:

While I'm sure there's overlapping work, and overkill in temp workers, I would think that those who were "laid off" after a brief stint would be right back on the unemployment rolls, so wouldn't this be a wash?

Forum List

Back