Twitter Time-out

ZackB

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2016
Deep South
Ok, so I do not possess a beloved personality. Sometimes I can be an asshole. Got it. I have known this for decades. So I get being banned by social media. It happens. Reddit, for example, used to really be a free-wheeling forum that would only ban you if you repeatedly did really offensive shit, like fucking with the people in a suicide support group. Then they turned completely fascist and will ban you in a second for straying from defined, and undefined, parameters. But, so be it. It's there thing and I have no right to be there.

Twitter is getting to that same point. Again, I know it is their product and they can ban whomever. I accept that and move on. The only time I became pissed at them was when I accumulated 1,600 legit followers (no purchased followers, which is just pathetic, and no fake account followers). Then they permanently suspended me for something. It was only explained as a "rules violation". But, hell, I had been no more offensive than usual. They moved the goal post, so to speak.

So I have another Twitter account that I recently started. I accumulated over 100 legit followers in the first week. Yesterday I happened to make a tweet to a particular person about a particular thing and she went all bat shit. She is a bit of a sexual deviant who has a lot of deviant followers. I was inundated by hateful tweets from those fags. Did I make some offensive, politically incorrect comments back to them, insulting them personally and maligning the homosexual lifestyle? Well, maybe a few. Of course those homos do the chicken shit thing and lodged multiple complaints with Twitter.

This is what Twitter did. They did not suspend my account permanently. They suspended it for 12 hours, in effect a time out. Then after the suspension was lifted there was a message that I had broken their rules by tweeting offensive things and I was told to delete those tweets as a condition of reinstatement. I clicked ok and then 4 of my tweets came up, presumably the 4 tweets that precipitated my suspension. Were these 4 tweets "offensive"? Hell, you can find anybody that will say they are offended by anything. The surprising thing is that I have tweeted hundreds of things that are far more offensive than these 4. Only one of the 4 concerned my exchange yesterday with the homosexuals. I figure they took a cross section and applied their humorless standards to justify the suspension. This is, of course, in itself stupid; why go to that much trouble rather than just ban me and be done with it?

Each one of the 4 offending tweets come up with a red "delete" button beneath it. I click "delete" on each of the 4 and then my account is reinstated. Hilarious! It is like I was put in timeout and then had to apologize by rebuking what I had said! Again, it's no skin off my back. But the absurdity is striking.

Can we really not come up with a better way to have online forums? In real life where interpersonal relations are conducted face to face, if you do not want to associate with someone you just do not do it. Online, though, somebody can get into your face and say whatever they like. Can you imagine being in your kitchen in the evening preparing dinner then all of a sudden I, Zackb, walk in, start telling you that you are a stupid asshole, then refuse to leave? That would be pretty annoying, wouldn't it?

Or, is it that when you log onto a public social media network you have implicitly agreed to waive any complaint you may have to being ridiculed? With all the known trolling going on I do not think that you can fairly lay claim to a reasonable expectation of controversy-free online time, Certainly, the ToS agreement comes into play. But most tech geeks who moderate sites have no real knack for legal analysis. They are just barely functioning as multicellular organisms.

Or could it be that I am over-analyzing this and should take social media networks for what they are: make believe places where everyone can be whomever and whatever they want? Bingo!

There are no bold important statements being made on Twitter. Twitter is DESIGNED for flaming and one-liner personal assaults and emotional slogans. It doesn't even meet the bar as a conversation or debate venue... Points are scored for style and impact, not truth or importance.

After YEARS of doing social media -- the archaic message boards are the only real hope for discussion.. And I've found that the simple rules around here are actually brilliant. Virtually NO CONTENT is controlled in the highly emotional forums (with some constant and well-defined exceptions).. The "request made" in those high emotion forums is that every post has to discuss the topic. That means ZackB's obnoxious ways are COMPLETELY accommodated and you COULD scream away at someone if the post was ABOUT THE TOPIC. :funnyface:

You just can't start flaming over rhododendrons in Gardening.. But some jerk on twitter will do just that.

Doesn't mean we have to love you or "follow" you.. Or that we don't think you're a crude jerk ( :eusa_whistle:) Just means --- you are focused on the discussion at hand and you're contributing..

make believe places where everyone can be whomever and whatever they want? Bingo!

^^^^^
Nice way to put it.

I have enough real life issues and events I come to relax and have some fun. If I could help along the way I do, otherwise it is just a a short furlough from those things I need to do in my day.

My expectation is very low and I have not been disappointed yet.

• Banned
There are no bold important statements being made on Twitter. Twitter is DESIGNED for flaming and one-liner personal assaults and emotional slogans. It doesn't even meet the bar as a conversation or debate venue... Points are scored for style and impact, not truth or importance.

After YEARS of doing social media -- the archaic message boards are the only real hope for discussion.. And I've found that the simple rules around here are actually brilliant. Virtually NO CONTENT is controlled in the highly emotional forums (with some constant and well-defined exceptions).. The "request made" in those high emotion forums is that every post has to discuss the topic. That means ZackB's obnoxious ways are COMPLETELY accommodated and you COULD scream away at someone if the post was ABOUT THE TOPIC. :funnyface:

You just can't start flaming over rhododendrons in Gardening.. But some jerk on twitter will do just that.

Doesn't mean we have to love you or "follow" you.. Or that we don't think you're a crude jerk ( :eusa_whistle:) Just means --- you are focused on the discussion at hand and you're contributing..
My comment was mainly about Twitter and the asinine "punishment" they inflicted upon me. But to your point, I am starting to catch on here. As long as I address the OP topic then I can call someone a "stupid fucking rat faced choad choking faggot", or some variation thereof. Thanks.

My comment was mainly about Twitter and the asinine "punishment" they inflicted upon me. But to your point, I am starting to catch on here. As long as I address the OP topic then I can call someone a "stupid fucking rat faced choad choking faggot", or some variation thereof. Thanks.

Pretty much.. Now what was the topic??? :banana:

Still have to contribute to the discussion in a meaningful way.. That's the brilliance of it..
Most of the hashtags on the tweet don't have topic control.. It's an invitation to troll and derail real discussion..

Forum List

Back