TSA manage to make a 3 year old wheelchair bound baby sob

With all due respect rightwinger, the family had made it thru the screening. This is when the agent decided to target them.

And if you read the update I posted the TSA even agrees the child should not have been threatened with a pat down and has apologized.

The parents handled the situation quite well.
Calm as can be. The father is a lawyer and I find that their complaint was reasonable.

This was not a situation where the parents were hysterical. Not at all.

No they didn't . You know how reasonable people handle that?

They get through it, they console their child, they go to Disney World,, where I GUARANTEE the child will forget all about the incident, and they go on about their lives.

They don't whip out a video camera and then go to the press and holler about being a lawyer and demand an apology.

And let their kid be man handled by an idiot in a blue shirt? I don't think so. They had a right to object and a right to film everything that went on.

I suppose I would need to see a complete video/account of the situation. It sounds like since the family had passed security clearance--I think that has been stated several times that something went wrong when the TSA agent decided the wheelchair needed an additional scan.

Maybe the parents had traveled enough and never had this experience before or the manner in which they were informed of the policy was officious. Frankly, I cannot guess.

They don't appear to be the type of people who wanted to create a drama for the sake of creating drama. The individual who wrote the article gathered facts and one of the facts was that the father is an attorney. If he is informed on legal issues relevant to handicapped citizens then it doesn't seem unreasonable that he would respond in a protective manner.

eta: from another article another small piece of fyi--
“They treated [Lucy] like a criminal,” the toddler's dad, an attorney who works with the elderly and disabled, said in an interview with Fox News. “And by extension they were treating us as criminals.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...ly-wheelchair-3-year-old-video_n_2733448.html
The Forck family says they don't plan on taking legal action against the TSA and insist that they don't want the agents responsible to lose their jobs. Instead, Lucy's parents say they hope that by sharing their experience, they will encourage others to speak up if they feel their rights are being impinged upon by TSA agents.

The family also told ABC News that they hope agents will receive more training to prevent incidents that like this from happening again.

I would think that it wouldn't be too difficult to provide some sort of training that would enable TSA agents to reassure children and others with special needs. Maybe they do and some employees need further training. That is about all I can gather from this.

Was it this past December that 2 elderly women were absolutely humiliated during a search? One had had a mastectomy and there was some policy that the prothesis had to be scanned? That is really going too far. If the family was aware of similar experiences then I have to conclude they were correct in expressing their concerns. Whatever went on the child was upset and there was no need for that.

Last edited:
No they didn't . You know how reasonable people handle that?

They get through it, they console their child, they go to Disney World,, where I GUARANTEE the child will forget all about the incident, and they go on about their lives.

They don't whip out a video camera and then go to the press and holler about being a lawyer and demand an apology.

And let their kid be man handled by an idiot in a blue shirt? I don't think so. They had a right to object and a right to film everything that went on.

I suppose I would need to see a complete video/account of the situation. It sounds like since the family had passed security clearance--I think that has been stated several times that something went wrong when the TSA agent decided the wheelchair needed an additional scan.

Maybe the parents had traveled enough and never had this experience before or the manner in which they were informed of the policy was officious. Frankly, I cannot guess.

They don't appear to be the type of people who wanted to create a drama for the sake of creating drama. The individual who wrote the article gathered facts and one of the facts was that the father is an attorney. If he is informed on legal issues relevant to handicapped citizens then it doesn't seem unreasonable that he would respond in a protective manner.

“They treated [Lucy] like a criminal,” the toddler's dad, an attorney who works with the elderly and disabled, said in an interview with Fox News. “And by extension they were treating us as criminals.”

TSA Apologizes To Forck Family After Clip Of 3-Year-Old Girl In Wheelchair Goes Viral (VIDEO)
The Forck family says they don't plan on taking legal action against the TSA and insist that they don't want the agents responsible to lose their jobs. Instead, Lucy's parents say they hope that by sharing their experience, they will encourage others to speak up if they feel their rights are being impinged upon by TSA agents.

The family also told ABC News that they hope agents will receive more training to prevent incidents that like this from happening again.

I would think that it wouldn't be too difficult to provide some sort of training that would enable TSA agents to reassure children and others with special needs. Maybe they do and some employees need further training. That is about all I can gather from this.

Was it this past December that 2 elderly women were absolutely humiliated during a search? One had had a mastectomy and there was some policy that the prothesis had to be scanned? That is really going too far. If the family was aware of similar experiences then I have to conclude they were correct in expressing their concerns. Whatever went on the child was upset and there was no need for that.

what they need to do is follow the model set by Disney and other theme parks and have special services for handicapped people , that way you have SPECIFIC people who only deal with handicapped people and so have time to go a little slower and be a little more careful with them.

You can't be trying to do that in the regular line b/c then you just end up with more delays and pissed off flyers.

Of course to then handicapped should be required to be at the airport much earlier so that they can be handled by such people.

TSA Apologizes To Forck Family After Clip Of 3-Year-Old Girl In Wheelchair Goes Viral (VIDEO)

what they need to do is follow the model set by Disney and other theme parks and have special services for handicapped people , that way you have SPECIFIC people who only deal with handicapped people and so have time to go a little slower and be a little more careful with them.

You can't be trying to do that in the regular line b/c then you just end up with more delays and pissed off flyers.

Of course to then handicapped should be required to be at the airport much earlier so that they can be handled by such people.

I work with airlines and can assure you that someone invoking the ADA and requesting special accommodation is required to arrive earlier than usual. If they fail to come early, they may just forfeit their ADA accommodations. They also have to request such accommodation in advance. They cannot be assured that their needs will be met if they just show up and make demands. The airlines are required to make "reasonable" accommodation, but not to jump through hoops due to someone else's poor planning. Perhaps if the TSA were required to abide by ADA regulations, such additional consideration might be made.

I work with airlines and can assure you that someone invoking the ADA and requesting special accommodation is required to arrive earlier than usual. If they fail to come early, they may just forfeit their ADA accommodations. They also have to request such accommodation in advance. They cannot be assured that their needs will be met if they just show up and make demands. The airlines are required to make "reasonable" accommodation, but not to jump through hoops due to someone else's poor planning. Perhaps if the TSA were required to abide by ADA regulations, such additional consideration might be made.

Right, I know the airlines themselves do that, but I was talking about the TSA. I don't know about you , but I'd rather see a child in a wheelchair given preference and taken into a private room and cleared to fly while I wait in line rather than see her crying in public.

And I believe if you had just a few specially trained agents at each airport rather than trying to train ALL agents you would get better results.

Let' face it, not everyone should be dealing with the handicapped.

Right, I know the airlines themselves do that, but I was talking about the TSA. I don't know about you , but I'd rather see a child in a wheelchair given preference and taken into a private room and cleared to fly while I wait in line rather than see her crying in public.

And I believe if you had just a few specially trained agents at each airport rather than trying to train ALL agents you would get better results.

I agree with you. I wouldn't consider it preferential treatment so much as respectful treatment. I would also prefer that parents not be left out or kept away when their children are being handled, especially children (or adults, for that matter) with handicaps.

I think all agents should have some basic training, but like the airlines, or other transportation providers, there should be a contact agent available who has had more extensive ADA training who can handle any questions, complaints, or other special needs.

Life sucks enough already for people with handicaps, like this little girl, without having insensitive and rude people treating them with resentment and disrespect.

I agree with you. I wouldn't consider it preferential treatment so much as respectful treatment. I would also prefer that parents not be left out or kept away when their children are being handled, especially children (or adults, for that matter) with handicaps.

I think all agents should have some basic training, but like the airlines, or other transportation providers, there should be a contact agent available who has had more extensive ADA training who can handle any questions, complaints, or other special needs.

Life sucks enough already for people with handicaps, like this little girl, without having insensitive and rude people treating them with resentment and disrespect.

It's not just what's best for the handicapped either. It just is common sense that the, and I hate to use to the word regular here I don't mean to imply that handicapped people aren't regular, regular line would move more smoothly as well.

But I still maintain that some flyers need to get over their own attitudes as well.

I feel sorry for whoever runs the TSA's complaint department. No matter what they get paid, it isn't enough.

I feel sorry for whoever runs the TSA's complaint department. No matter what they get paid, it isn't enough.

Some of the incidents that have made the news deserve attention.

I am generally not a fan of taking it to social media but that seems to be 'the way' at present.

I swear they hire sadists. Oooooh, I'm spitting bullets right now.

'I don't want to go to Disney World anymore': Parents' fury as TSA agents detain their crying wheelchair-bound daughter, THREE, and confiscate her stuffed animal

article-2281769-18254AB4000005DC-953_964x349.jpg

Forck family was flying from Missouri to Orlando, Florida for vacation
Three-year-old daughter, Lucy, was detained for further testing ahead of family's February 8 flight
Stuffed animal 'Lamby' was confiscated
Lucy suffers from spinal bifida and is in a wheelchair

The parents of a toddler with spinal bifida are outraged after TSA officials forced their daughter to undergo a series of additional security measures ahead of their flight to Disney World.

Nathan and Annie Forck were flying out of their home state of Missouri on a February 8 flight bound for Orlando, Florida with their wheelchair-bound daughter Lucy and their two other children.

Mrs Forck took a six-minute video detailing their toddler’s cries as she said through tears that she didn’t want to go to Disney World anymore, and is claiming the TSA discriminates against people who use mobility devices.

article-0-18241AD9000005DC-394_306x549.jpg

AND this is what's unreal. But good for the Mom. She got it on tape. Bravo Mummy :clap2:

As Fox News Radio reports, the Forcks were attempting to fly to Orlando to enjoy a family vacation at Disney World and were flying out of Lambert-St Louis International Airport.

Though they got through the TSA security checkpoint without incident, a TSA agent pulled the family aside to screen Lucy’s wheelchair further for a pat down and swabbing her mobility device.

Mrs Forck pulled out her smart phone and began recording the whole event, against the TSA agent’s request.

Parents' fury as TSA 'detains' their wheelchair-bound daughter, 3, as they're trying to fly to Disney World for family vacation | Mail Online

Completely idiotic. The TSA and DHS should be abolished. Damn Gestapo.

Forum List

Back