CDZ Trump's economy

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Meane, Mar 8, 2017.

1. jwoodie

jwoodie Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,373
    Do you really believe that, by giving them free/subsidized health insurance, you are not still "carrying them along?"

2. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,184
    Yes.

To use a Micro example of how it is less bad at the least:

I knew a young working class poor gal with no insurance after Y2K. Her gall bladder went bad. The hospital removed it with a $100 down payment. Poof, we paid the rest. Her credit rating went for bad to badder (lol)

IF we had forced health coverage at the time even if if subsidized she would have paid SOMETHING for insurance. Maybe $500, Maybe $1,000, Maybe $250, but SOMETHING and the country would have been better off.

Either way she gets the surgery. Either way it sucked for the rest of us to have to pay for some or all of it. But if her tax return from the previous year was garnished for insurance we would have paid less to support her.

3. jwoodie

jwoodie Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,373
    With all of your "money saving" social programs, we should be awash in cash with no debt. Why do they keep costing us more and more?

4. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,184
    That is a fair question but I think for another topic like food stamps.....Do you view forced health insurance as a social program? I view it as making my young friends and poor neighbors pay SOMETHING towards their own insurance.

Maybe I have a different view.

You should have heard the old man living next to me fussin when he HAD to get insurance or pay some tiny penalty.

Notice in my single case example above we effectively already had the social program in ~2002 when gal had her gall bladder removed. Individually she is not better off if we charged her even just $500 for insurance the year before,the country is. Her credit sucked / sucks either way. She had her gall bladder removed either one. One way she paid $100 towards it. With mandatory insurance she would have paid more.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,208
    Longest bull market in history...
    [​IMG]
    What the longest bull market in history means for the economy and your investments
    Aug 22, 2018 - With the closing bell, U.S. stocks on Wednesday marked what is being considered the longest bull market in history: 3,453 days.

6. blackhawk

blackhawk Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,019
    Most if not all politicans are vauge on how they will do what they promise or pay for it that didn't start with Trump and it wont end with him.

7. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,184
    Trump is a lot of blow, a bit of substance. So far he hasn't ruined the Obama recovery and is doing some things which have a short term positive. His environmental goals seem a bit short sited though.