Trump eyes mental institutions as answer to gun violence

M14 Shooter

The Light of Truth
Sep 26, 2007
Bridge, USS Enterprise
When back-to-back mass shootings in Dayton, Ohio, and El Paso, Texas, jolted the nation earlier this month, Trump again spoke of "building new facilities" for the mentally ill as a way to reduce mass shootings.

"We don't have those institutions anymore and people can't get proper care," Trump lamented at a New Hampshire campaign rally not long after the latest shootings.

And the reaction?

But Trump's support for new "mental institutions" is drawing pushback from many in the mental health profession who say that approach would do little to reduce mass shootings in the United States and incorrectly associates mental illness with violence.
Didn’t these people have a conniption fit when they thought Trump wanted “give guns to the mentally ill”? Indeed. Indeed, they did.
I cannot imagine why these people think they should be taken seriously.

Take another look at those "gun related deaths" statistics:
There are 30,000 gun related deaths per year by firearms, and this number is not disputed. The U.S. population is 324,059,091 as of June 22, 2016. What is never told, however, is a breakdown of those 30,000 deaths, to put them in perspective:

· 65% of those deaths are by suicide, which would never be prevented by gun laws.
· 15% are by law enforcement in the line of duty and justified.
· 17% are through criminal activity, gang and drug related or mentally ill persons – better known as gun violence.
· 3% are accidental discharge deaths.

So technically, “gun violence” is not 30,000 annually, but actually 5,100. Still too many? Now look at how those deaths are distributed across the nation.

· 480 homicides (9.4%) were in Chicago
· 344 homicides (6.7%) were in Baltimore
· 333 homicides (6.5%) were in Detroit
· 119 homicides (2.3%) were in Washington D.C. (a 54% increase over prior years)

So basically, 25% of all gun crime happens in just 4 cities. All 4 of those cities have strict gun laws, so it is not the lack of law that is the root cause.

This basically leaves 3,825 for the rest of the nation, or about 75 deaths per state. That is an average because some States have much higher rates than others. California had 1,169 and Alabama had 1. CA has strict gun laws, AL does not. Therefore there must be some other cause for "gun related deaths" than lack of strict gun laws

sooner or later, everyone has an issue with something.

we need to stop thinking that is the end all be all - someone with an "issue".

When back-to-back mass shootings in Dayton, Ohio, and El Paso, Texas, jolted the nation earlier this month, Trump again spoke of "building new facilities" for the mentally ill as a way to reduce mass shootings.

"We don't have those institutions anymore and people can't get proper care," Trump lamented at a New Hampshire campaign rally not long after the latest shootings.

And the reaction?

But Trump's support for new "mental institutions" is drawing pushback from many in the mental health profession who say that approach would do little to reduce mass shootings in the United States and incorrectly associates mental illness with violence.
Didn’t these people have a conniption fit when they thought Trump wanted “give guns to the mentally ill”? Indeed. Indeed, they did.

And I can't imagine why tramp should ever be taken seriously.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trump made it easier for the mentally ill to get guns when he rolled back Obama regulation
In 2017, Trump quietly rolled back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illness to buy guns.
But two years ago, the NRA insisted the Obama rule infringed on Second Amendment rights to buy guns, even though the regulation specifically targeted people who were diagnosed with mental illness.

The NRA “applauded” Trump’s action at the time and then-executive director Chris Cox said the move “marks a new era for law-abiding gun owners, as we now have a president who respects and supports our arms.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Do not worry about it, no one is going to build more mental illness facilities, so you can be housed in one. LOL

And the reaction?

Thank you for illustrating my point.

dont tell Goldilocks, but mental institutions have had an eye on him for a long time -

dont tell Goldilocks, but mental institutions have had an eye on him for a long time -

What's the possibility of him ending up in your old room?

BEFORE OR AFTER I BOUGHT GREENLAND ?

Trump was not the first to bring up buying Greenland.

Reasons of State: Why Didn't Denmark Sell Greenland? - Gwern.net

keep buying the bullshit the media is selling.

This clearly is a smokescreen because Trump is afraid of taking on the NRA. Very few shootings are done by mentally ill people. The El Paso shooter was not mentally ill. This will not fly with suburban voters.

then that makes him double crazy -

pry your lips away from his ass.

As busybee said, it's just a smokescreen because Trump's skeered of the big bad ole NRA.

And he probably thinks it was a better time when harmless mentally ill people could be legally incarcerated so they wouldn't be seen

And the reaction?

Trump if evaluated he will be the first be the one to be taken a mental facility.

And the reaction?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trump made it easier for the mentally ill to get guns when he rolled back Obama regulation
In 2017, Trump quietly rolled back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illness to buy guns.
But two years ago, the NRA insisted the Obama rule infringed on Second Amendment rights to buy guns, even though the regulation specifically targeted people who were diagnosed with mental illness.

The NRA “applauded” Trump’s action at the time and then-executive director Chris Cox said the move “marks a new era for law-abiding gun owners, as we now have a president who respects and supports our arms.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Do not worry about it, no one is going to build more mental illness facilities, so you can be housed in one. LOL

Bull shit.

And the reaction?

The left wants to pour water on any possible solution, because they don't want a solution

And the reaction?

Fully agree that there has to me action taken on Mental heath since every shooter has a back ground in the shootings and other perversions, and crime.

He doesn't know history.

If the left is mad about the border wall, wait til he comes up with plans to fence in California.

Forum List

Back