Whatever happened to mental institutions? Is mental illness kind of a myth?

A lot of these people don't want to work. Either their mental issues prevent it, or with the younger homeless, they know the system will give them the barest level of living without doing anything, and they accept that.
I donā€™t think itā€™s a matter of not wanting to work. Many canā€™t work, because their symptoms are too severe. For those that are able to work, many will still need assistance (like social security), because they will only be able to handle a part time job. Then, there is the stress and stigma - and discrimination - that many deal with.

Tough, it is, to explain this to the typical lay person. What the severely mentally disabled want is acceptance within society. When they donā€™t get that, it makes living (including holding a job) practically impossible.

Like Iā€™ve said, I have worked my butt off and overcome considerable odds, to get to where I am today. I want all, who want to, to have the same chances.

That is simply not happening in this country these days.

I'm happy for you.

However, a lot of people have a hard time getting a job. And when you're homeless, you don't have a place to get spiffed up for an interview or even to just apply for a job. Then there's the problem of no physical address...

I think if the govt is going to get involved in our lives, and we know it always does.. it should virtually guarantee a job for all who want one and I say most do
Agreed and thanks.

Am rather tempted to start a thread entitled ā€œAsk a schizophrenic.ā€

Folks would then be allowed to ask me nearly anything. I wouldnā€™t be offended at all and it would probably dispel some myths.

We will see about that one.

I donā€™t think itā€™s a matter of not wanting to work. Many canā€™t work, because their symptoms are too severe. For those that are able to work, many will still need assistance (like social security), because they will only be able to handle a part time job. Then, there is the stress and stigma - and discrimination - that many deal with.

Tough, it is, to explain this to the typical lay person. What the severely mentally disabled want is acceptance within society. When they donā€™t get that, it makes living (including holding a job) practically impossible.

Like Iā€™ve said, I have worked my butt off and overcome considerable odds, to get to where I am today. I want all, who want to, to have the same chances.

That is simply not happening in this country these days.

So we just accept them living in the streets and assaulting people?

The whole point of mental illness to that extreme is what they want is usually a bad idea.

So we just accept them living in the streets and assaulting people?

The whole point of mental illness to that extreme is what they want is usually a bad idea.
No. The current situation is extremely unacceptable. Thatā€™s one reason I started my ā€œAsk a schizophrenicā€œ thread. We need to talk about this and clear up any misunderstandings or myths.

Getting them off the streets is the number one priority. I am willing to go more into detail (and already have) in that other thread.

The mental health field needs funding and a major overhaul. They need to have facilities open to all classes that need mental health help.

It's a crisis level now in America the nutters need help. But much like Haiti the world will ignore them.

:safetocomeoutff: 'eff them & the anti-constitutional horse they rode in on....how's we tell THEM how to run their lives....~S~

I'm not saying we should have the gummit involved to any big extent. The employment office should just prioritize people who have not been working for awhile.. things like that.

No. The current situation is extremely unacceptable. Thatā€™s one reason I started my ā€œAsk a schizophrenicā€œ thread. We need to talk about this and clear up any misunderstandings or myths.

Getting them off the streets is the number one priority. I am willing to go more into detail (and already have) in that other thread.
it's a shame America is so wealthy (or WAS until 2020... :rolleyes: ) and yet we have more homeless than ever... tent cities all over the place in blue states..

Anyone looking @ all that and saying "it is only THEIR fault and no one else's (the homeless's fault) is truly delusional

Several titles dealing with mental illness being treated with drugs, whose side-effects are often worse than the illness:

Essential Books Archives - AbleChild

Able Child is a worthy charity that tries to help kids & adults avoid excess medication prescribed by pill pushing psychiatrists.

Forum List

Back