Tripe a la Mode

W

wonderwench

Another great column by Charles Krauthammer.

Look. I know it is shooting French in a barrel. But when yet another insufferable penseur -- first Chirac, then de Villepin, now the editor of Le Monde -- starts lecturing Americans on how they ought to conduct themselves in the world, the rules of decorum are suspended.

In an article in the Wall Street Journal, Jean-Marie Colombani, who wrote the famous Sept. 12, 2001, Le Monde editorial titled "We Are All American," gives us the usual more-in-sorrow-than-in-anger lament about America's sins: We loved you on Sept. 11. We were all with you in Afghanistan. But, oh, what have you done in Iraq?

This requires some parsing. We loved you on Sept. 11 means: We like Americans when they are victims, on their knees and bleeding. We just don't like it when they get off the floor -- without checking with us first.

Colombani glories in Europe's post-Sept. 11 "solidarity" with America: "Let us remember here the involvement of French and German soldiers, among other European nationalities, in the operations launched in Afghanistan to . . . free the Afghans."

Come again? The French arrived in Mazar-e Sharif after it fell, or as military analyst Jay Leno put it, "to serve as advisers to the Taliban on how to surrender properly." Afghanistan was liberated by America acting practically unilaterally, with an even smaller coalition than it had in Iraq -- Britain and Australia, with the rest of the world holding America's coat.

But then came Iraq. "The problem was not so much the war itself, but the fact that it was launched without U.N. approval," Colombani explains.

Rubbish. The Kosovo war was launched without U.N. approval and France joined it. Only two wars have ever been launched with U.N. approval: the Korean War (an accident of the Soviets having walked out of the Security Council on another matter) and the Persian Gulf War.

It is touching to hear such legalistic objections to deposing a man who has killed more Muslims than any person on Earth -- particularly when the objection is offered from a pose of superior international morality from a country whose commandos once blew up a Greenpeace ship monitoring French nuclear tests in the South Pacific.

Moreover, Colombani complains, George Bush "lied about the weapons of mass destruction -- the official pretext for the war -- as now publicly established by recent investigations." More rubbish. The investigations have established that the weapons have not been found and may not exist. The claim that the president knew so at the time, and lied about it as a "pretext" for war, is a malicious falsehood.

There is more. Colombani grieves that the Bush administration has taken "axes" to the two great pillars of Western success following World War II: containment and free trade.

Colombani decries the fact that containment has given way to preemptive war. But containment was designed for the Soviet Union, which died 10 years before Bush even took office. Only a fool would advocate containment against the new threat that has risen in its place: terrorists and terrorist states acquiring weapons of mass destruction.

When dealing with undeterrables (like al Qaeda) or undetectables (like an Iraq or an Iran passing WMDs to terrorists) there is no such thing as containment. There is no deterrence, no address for the retaliation. There are two options: do nothing and wait for the next attack, or get them before they acquire the capacity to get you. That is called preemption.

Warming to the ax theme, Colombani decries the Bush administration's "return of protectionism." This (plus preemption) "is why John Kerry is, a priori, perceived with so much sympathy" in Europe.

Good grief. Only an ignoramus oblivious to what is happening in American politics could prefer Kerry over Bush on grounds of free trade. Has no one told Colombani that the Democrats have made protectionism -- attacking everything from NAFTA to the World Trade Organization -- a theme of this campaign, radically reversing the Clinton policies of the 1990s?

It is not John Kerry's fault that he is endorsed by a Frenchman. (Or by Kim Jong Il of North Korea, whose media have been running some of Kerry's speeches verbatim!) But Kerry has made the major -- indeed, only discernible -- theme of his foreign policy "rejoining the community of nations" and being liked abroad again.

Which is why he does not just court foreign support, he boasts about it. "I've met foreign leaders, who can't go out and say this publicly," he told a Hollywood, Fla., fundraiser, "but boy they look at you and say, 'You gotta win this one, you gotta beat this guy.' "

For the world. For France.

France, god that word needs to become a cruse word, like you're so france. Wich in my book would be a pretty big insult!!:D

Originally posted by kcmcdonald
France, god that word needs to become a cruse word, like you're so france. Wich in my book would be a pretty big insult!!:D
or I just took a France and it kept swirling around the bowl in defience.:D

Hey you guys,
My best friend is from France and I couldn't agree more . The longer I know him the more I realize that he is a dick most of the time and I don't like him. I thought he was alright at first because he is from the Basque Region of France and he came here because he hates the French government but he tends to be the text book definition of the arrogant , know it all , rediculously blunt Frenchman.I am working very hard on trying to get him to see the light but he has that false pride even though he says he hates his country. Don't even get me started about his wife.
They both have their moments but always retreat to their Euro ways when push comes to shove , I have learned a lot though . Europe has some positive qualities but they tend to be overshadowed by the population's obvious envy of our lifestyle .

What gets me is the French have the audacity to criticize Americans for arrogance. Im just like como what?

Originally posted by Sir Evil
And they can enjoy there very freedom now thank's to who???

Yes we did help them out in WW1 and WW2, but many Americans are so ignorant and arrogant about this topic.. The French could ask us the same question!! We would NOT of won the Revolutionary War without the French help. Period.

Hey crazy ,
You might want to bring up Omaha Beach , Normandy , France in google and take a glance at the cemetery there . There are people in this country that remember what happened there , others had fathers , brothers and friends that never returned and are buried in that cemetery . . . 9,386 Americans buried and another 1,557 whose bodies were never recovered . Nobody in France or The United States remembers France's involvement in the War of Independence first hand , that might be why we Americans take it a bit personally when the graves of these American soldiers are spit on by the French .
Somehow I just don't believe we wouldn't have been victorious over the British if France wouldn't have showed up . It may have taken a little longer but I am sure the colonists would have prevailed .Period.

I do know of the thousands of Americans that have died liberating France from Nazi opression. (Although I must admit that a large amount of my knowledge of that subject is from Saving Private Ryan :D )
Going as far as saying that French spit on American graves at Normandy and Omaha is a little far fetched and I doubt they do it, and if they do it is an incredibly small minority. Most military minds will tell you that in all likelyhood the English were going to win the Revolutionary War until the gigantic French Navy came from behind and destroyed the English ships leaving them trapped and without supplies. They were easily defeated by the Colonists. Whether or not we would of won the war if the French hadn't helped us is not the issue, the issue is that after 200 years of alliance and generally helping eachother out when we needed it most we now think that they are all arrogant bastards because an extremely small minority disrespect us and because they did not support GWB's baseless war in Iraq. Period. (lol)

A small minority against a baseless war?
I believe it was almost a year ago that a reported 100,000 people marched in Paris against the prospect of taking Saddam Hussein out of power . So what if this pile of camel shit had killed estimates of 300,000 -1,000,000 people , mostly residents of his country , that wasn't a good enough reason . The fact that he was responsible for the single largest man made environmental disaster ever , who cares? What about the draining of the swamps in Southern Iraq (some claim this area to be "the Garden of Eden") which totally screwed up the lives that depended on that ecologically sensitive area ? How about the jailing of thousands of innocent children ? The torture , rape and incredibly brutal killing of thousands of innocents. . . certainly not a liberal cause! How about the attempted assassination of an American President ? Terrorist training camps ? Rewards for families of suicide murderers of innocent Israelis , naw , they're just a bunch of Jews . Tremendous stockpiles of conventional weapons , missiles , aircraft . Cheating on the ceasefire agreements he signed with the United States and the U.N. and shooting at aircraft patrolling the no fly zones throughout Iraq ? . . big deal. Allowing his people to starve and die from lack of medical supplies while he had 35 Palace campuses built using the money from the "Oil fo Food'' program ? And of course , refusing to allow verification of the existence or not of Chemical , Biological , or Nuclear programs (something that everyone suspected he had including the Idiot that runs the UN , former President Clinton , Chirac , Schroeder . . . everybody!) that we knew he definitely had because he had used them on his own people .

You're right , it is baseless , we should send more troops to Haiti for something really important.

Originally posted by sitarro
A small minority against a baseless war?
I believe it was almost a year ago that a reported 100,000 people marched in Paris against the prospect of taking Saddam Hussein out of power . So what if this pile of camel shit had killed estimates of 300,000 -1,000,000 people , mostly residents of his country , that wasn't a good enough reason . The fact that he was responsible for the single largest man made environmental disaster ever , who cares? What about the draining of the swamps in Southern Iraq (some claim this area to be "the Garden of Eden") which totally screwed up the lives that depended on that ecologically sensitive area ? How about the jailing of thousands of innocent children ? The torture , rape and incredibly brutal killing of thousands of innocents. . . certainly not a liberal cause! How about the attempted assassination of an American President ? Terrorist training camps ? Rewards for families of suicide murderers of innocent Israelis , naw , they're just a bunch of Jews . Tremendous stockpiles of conventional weapons , missiles , aircraft . Cheating on the ceasefire agreements he signed with the United States and the U.N. and shooting at aircraft patrolling the no fly zones throughout Iraq . . . big deal. Allowing his people to starve and die from lack of medical supplies while he had 35 Palace campuses built using the money from the "Oil fo Food'' program . And of course , refusing to allow verification of the existence or not of Chemical , Biological , or Nuclear programs (something that everyone suspected he had including the Idiot that runs the UN , former President Clinton , Chirac , Schroeder . . . everybody!) that we knew he definitely had because he had used them on his own people .
You're right , it is baseless , we should send more troops top Haiti for something really important.

:clap: :clap:

Excellent!

Too bad those reasons aren't good enough for a lot of the liberals. :(

Sitarro,

I think Saddam is an evil man and the things he did were terrible, but there are a lot of evil dictators in the world, and I'm not sure why Bush chose Saddam. Since he had been planning to attack Iraq since the month he came into office it was obviously not because he though Iraq was an imminent threat to America.. Yes Saddam had had stockpiles of missles, aircraft, and biological and chemical weapons. We gave them to him in the 1980s to kill Iranians so obviously we knew he had them unless he had used them all or sold them. What I don't understand is why people were suddenly so worried last year that he had just aquired/and or developed when we had 100% proof he had possesed them for 15+ years.

Sitarro you should really read my posts I NEVER stated that the small majority of the French oppose the Iraqi War. I said that the small majority are arrogant enough to spit on American graves at Normandy and Omaha.

we now think that they are all arrogant bastards because an extremely small minority disrespect us and because they did not support GWB's baseless war in Iraq. Period. (lol) [/B][/QUOTE]

Maybe you should be a little more clear in the way you parrot the party line . You seem to get your talking points from the losers that post on Yahoo .
Your new avatar is extremely offensive and says so much more about your lack of intelligence and creative thought than anything you post . . . and that is saying a lot! I said in my first post that I know two French people very well . They still get a variety of newspapers and magazines from France weekly . They then pass on the opinions from those writers to me , they are basically the same as we get from the most disreputable web sites here .
The United States is hated for our lifestyle , our poorest have more than most of the middle class in a great many countries around the world . We feed them and give them billions of dollars , people always bite the hand that feeds them . On top of that , the people that can read are fed a steady stream of leftist propaganda . I met people in Ireland that seemed intelligent but had never left that side of the Atlantic and had incredibly wrong ideas about America .What is amazing is that you have the facts available to know better and you still go with what you are told , THAT is unAmerican ! Period.

You really should read my posts more carefully you will note that I said that a minority disrepescts the USA as far as spitting on American's graves, but then said yes the majority didn't support the Iraqi war. Sorry if I was not clear enough to you, but the large majority that don't support the Iraqi War are not the same as the small minority that would do something like spit on American graves. I have never been to Yahoo forums didn't know they even had them.. :rolleyes:

I'm confused and I would like to know which facts that I have the information on but I still believe "leftist progaganda." ...
What is unAmerican? Don't try to pull the Bush patriotism if you don't support everything I do you are an unpatriotic terrosist BS. I would not call you UnAmerican or UnPatriotic if you didn't support a Democratic President it would be nice if conservatives gave Liberals the same decency...

"I'm confused"( quote from crazyliberal's post . )

I think you have done a great job of proving this .:splat:

I guess you just won't argue with me logically anymore and will take quotes from my posts out of context to childishly attack me so:

:fu2: :fu2: :fu2: :fu2: :fu2: :fu2:

There is really nothing to argue about crazy , I said what I had to say and your answer was exactly what I would exspect from someone that hides behind such a childish image as the one you have decided to display as your avatar .You believe what you have been told , you're a perfect subject for the likes of the John Kerrys of the world . Go now , do as you're told , vote the way "they" tell you to .

Sitarro if you had read my posts on the General USA and Political Races board you would have learned that I don't listen to what people tell me to do, unlike you obviously. I may not vote at all in the upcoming election because although I dislike Bush more than Kerry I really don't like either, Kerry is a flip flopper and voted for the Patriot Act. If I do decide to vote for Kerry, it will be out of pure desperation to get Bush out of office, not because liberal progaganda tells me to.

Originally posted by CrazyLiberal
Sitarro if you had read my posts on the General USA and Political Races board you would have learned that I don't listen to what people tell me to do, unlike you obviously. I may not vote at all in the upcoming election because although I dislike Bush more than Kerry I really don't like either, Kerry is a flip flopper and voted for the Patriot Act. If I do decide to vote for Kerry, it will be out of pure desperation to get Bush out of office, not because liberal progaganda tells me to.

Your opinions and wordview are based on a combination of communist apology and a belief in utterly partisan perspectives, manufactured by the leftist intelligentsia of Democratic politicians, the elite media, and entrenched bureaucratic officialdom.

Forum List

Back