Get out your tin foil hat.

From todays WSJ:

Spain's 3/11

So much for the illusion that the global war on terror isn't really a war. That complacent notion, which has been infiltrating its way into the American public mind, blew up along with 10 bombs on trains carrying Spanish commuters yesterday on their way to work in Madrid.

Nearly 200 people were killed and another 1,200 wounded in what was Europe's worst act of terror since the 1988 bombing of a Pan Am jet over Lockerbie, Scotland, that killed 270. The blasts came just three days before Spain's Sunday general election, which is probably no coincidence. This was meant as a direct attack on civilized democracy.

Spanish officials fingered Basque terrorists early in the day, but as we approached deadline yesterday suspicion had shifted to al Qaeda. The Basque terrorist group ETA typically takes credit for its own bloody handiwork but in this case did not. Meanwhile, police found a van with detonators and an audiotape of Koranic verses near where one train started its commuter run. A London-based Arabic newspaper said that it had received an e-mail claiming responsibility in the name of al Qaeda. "This is part of settling old accounts with Spain, the crusader, and America's ally in its war against Islam," said the e-mail.

The terrorists are right about our Spanish friends. The government of Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar has done as much as any country's to assist in the war on terror, including the dispatch of troops to Iraq. The Spanish have had their own long experience with Basque terrorism, so they understand better than many other Europeans what it is like to have innocent civilians slaughtered. Mr. Aznar has waged a determined campaign against ETA, sending more police and intelligence agents to the Basque country and lobbying other European leaders to crack down on ETA members in exile.

If the culprits are ETA, Thursday's bombing represents a gruesome change in tactics. The group has usually targeted politicians and judges and given warning of attacks on civilians. Its highest previous death toll was 21 in a Barcelona supermarket blast in 1987. Planting bombs on a packed train would reveal a new ETA ruthlessness -- and desperation.

On the other hand, the targeting of civilians is a trademark of al Qaeda. So is the large-scale, coordinated assault, such as yesterday's 10 bombs exploding within a 15-minute span. With airports now teeming with security, a commuter train is the kind "soft target" that is not well protected and can do maximum human damage.

Madrid now joins Bali, Baghdad, Najaf, Karachi, Istanbul, Mombasa, Jerusalem, Riyadh, Casablanca and of course New York and Washington in the lineup of terror targets. With several months having lapsed since the last such carnage outside Iraq, we have sensed a complacency developing in some circles that perhaps the worst is over. The late-night comedians have begun to make fun of the "orange alerts," the Patriot Act is being assailed by liberals and libertarians, and voices in Congress are once again daring to propose less defense spending.

The danger is that we will once again return to the "law enforcement" mindset that dominated the world's handling of terrorism before 9/11. This view assumes that, however awful, terrorism is an endurable tragedy that can be prosecuted after the fact, like a murder in Chicago. John Kerry has been explicit in recommending this kind of policy.

This temptation is understandable but dangerous. Fighting a war, even one like the war on terror that is often in the shadows, is expensive and hard. It's not surprising that many Americans would like to return to the Roaring Nineties when terrorism was something that happened to other people -- in Israel or somewhere far away. But that vacation from history ended on September 11.

The Madrid bombings are a reminder that terrorism remains the largest single threat to Western freedom and security. It threatens every country that refuses to cower in fear and dares to take the battle to the terrorists. We've made large strides in this war since 9/11, thanks in part to friends like the Spanish. Their current grief should inspire America's renewed determination.

Holy shit,
I'm scared guys I'm really scared from no on every 11th day of the mounth I'll be hiding in my fallout shelter for 24 hours.
:tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

First the emergency dial number and now the name of a band that might or might be named after the police code for public nudity? When will this ruthless abuse of american culture stop. Is 4/20 next?

:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

Evidently, it turns out this isn't a coincidence at all. They intended for the attack to be 2.5 years after 9/11 to the day, because it was 911 days later. The fact that it occured so close to the general elections in Spain, it turns out, may have been the real coincidence.

I seem to have used all my for foil on my bedroom windows and TV antenna. Any alternatives? Will paper mache (not be confused with the French word for "corn salad") work?

The Beaver

Satan is upon us. His diminions are on the prow. They will slaughter the young, steal from the old, and rape the wives of Isreal. They will band together and fight the army of God.

There numbers are 6, 9, and 11

They are known as the Democrats. Kust kidding.

Spain is retreating from Iraq. Because it is now a rebel and Al-Qaeda target. Whatever

Originally posted by nbdysfu
First the emergency dial number and now the name of a band that might or might be named after the police code for public nudity? When will this ruthless abuse of american culture stop. Is 4/20 next?

:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:
Is 4/20 next?

Shit!!!did I miss it...4:20 that is????

Originally posted by Zhukov
Just a weird coincidence I heard on the radio and thought I'd share:

11 September 2001 and 11 March 2004

Number of days between these two dates = 911

Very scarey. I did compare the number 11 but didn't know it was 911 days.
This is just the begining.

Originally posted by The Beaver
I seem to have used all my for foil on my bedroom windows and TV antenna. Any alternatives? Will paper mache (not be confused with the French word for "corn salad") work?

The Beaver

Your head belongs in the sand.

Forum List

Back