"Triggers" in Universities: WTF is Wrong With These People??

The Rabbi has never been a school board president.

I have, twice.

The nonsense that some parents from social con weirdoes to the right and lefty liberals on the other side, plus all the advocacy organizations, amazes the mind.

Folks, if you have kids in school, please go volunteer at your schools and the district.

The personnel need all the help they can get.

While my children were in school, I was active both in the PTA and mentored students in reading and math. Jake just gave the best advice possible if you wish to have a good school. Be an active parent, both in your children's studies, but also in the school itself.

I have, twice.

The nonsense that some parents from social con weirdoes to the right and lefty liberals on the other side, plus all the advocacy organizations, amazes the mind.

Folks, if you have kids in school, please go volunteer at your schools and the district.

Uh, Jake. This thread is about colleges and universities. You know, places you've never been.

Have you, Rabid? If so, it certainly does not show. And I am currently taking classes in a university part time, not seeing any of the shit people like you post about. Mostly what I see are a lot of people, many of them no longer kids, working their asses off trying to get an education.

I think we can write this off as the anti-education rightwingnuts taking the words of a few fruitloops and passing it off as the policy of our whole educational structure. For those of us in the process, such meanderings simply impress us as to how idiotic the 'Conservatives' have become.

True.
Your point?

What's the point of the thread?

That posting warnings that some material might offend people is absolutely the height of stupidity and symbolic of the crap our educational system has become.
Didnt you read the linked article?

I was not able to. From what was quoted was a misrepresentation of what trigger warnings are for. In other words the author and posters in this thread are tearing down a strawman.

What's the point of the thread?

That posting warnings that some material might offend people is absolutely the height of stupidity and symbolic of the crap our educational system has become.

I was not able to. From what was quoted was a misrepresentation of what trigger warnings are for. In other words the author and posters in this thread are tearing down a strawman.

So you didnt read the article, have no idea what it's about, but will conclude anyway that this thread is a strawman? Really?

I have, twice.

Uh, Jake. This thread is about colleges and universities. You know, places you've never been.

Have you, Rabid? If so, it certainly does not show. And I am currently taking classes in a university part time, not seeing any of the shit people like you post about. Mostly what I see are a lot of people, many of them no longer kids, working their asses off trying to get an education.

I think we can write this off as the anti-education rightwingnuts taking the words of a few fruitloops and passing it off as the policy of our whole educational structure. For those of us in the process, such meanderings simply impress us as to how idiotic the 'Conservatives' have become.

Anecdotal fallacy
Rabbi Rules!

So you didnt read the article, have no idea what it's about, but will conclude anyway that this thread is a strawman? Really?

The quoted section was enough to make that determination. Trigger warnings have nothing to do with any of the examples the author provided. It is a warning to victims of violent crimes that what they are about to read may unearth memories and anxieties of their attack.

I coached rec ball for over 20 years and had a player go to pro baseball, one to pro football and one currently plays for the Washington Wizards pro basketball.
Raised money for drama and theater for my daughter when she was in high school.
Mentored kids in after school programs and tutored.
Some die with large bank accounts, lived in large houses, drove fancy cars and had every material possession in the world.
But some made the difference in the lives of children and that leaves more than anything.

The quoted section was enough to make that determination. Trigger warnings have nothing to do with any of the examples the author provided. It is a warning to victims of violent crimes that what they are about to read may unearth memories and anxieties of their attack.

Yes, I am sure you know more about this than the person who wrote the aritcle because you looked in Wiki.
You're dismissed. Another dimwit.

Yes, I am sure you know more about this than the person who wrote the aritcle because you looked in Wiki.

Is this a better source? PTSD Triggers - Coping With PTSD Triggers

I was not able to access the full article so you should look into that. Trigger warning have little to do with political correctness and more to do with warning victims of violence and sexual assault that the content they may be viewing may cause an anxiety attack due to PTSD. I was the victim of gang violence and just seeing the tattered clothes I wore that day threw me into an anxiety attack. A victim of a rape or assault who knows they have reactions like this to plot lines similar to their assaults know to avoid the content.

I posted this earlier in the thread.

Is this a better source? PTSD Triggers - Coping With PTSD Triggers

For proof you're a dimwit? I guess.

Amazing the misinformation.
Yes, many institutions of higher learning are eat up with the liberal dumb ass professor.
But to claim that the large number of engineering, business administration and many other institutions of higher learning are all liberals is absurd.
I have a BBA and a MBA and I had few if any liberal professors.

Amazing the misinformation.
Yes, many institutions of higher learning are eat up with the liberal dumb ass professor.
But to claim that the large number of engineering, business administration and many other institutions of higher learning are all liberals is absurd.
I have a BBA and a MBA and I had few if any liberal professors.

Who made that claim?

This has been an issue in academics for awhile. In some cases they might perhaps be appropriate and in some cases not. I know some professors tread around it by making certain materials optional or certain materials required but not discussed in class for fear that it could trigger something emotional in a woman who had been recently raped or something with the anticipated view points that might come up on a particular issue/assignment.

I can empathize with it to a certain degree. For instance, I really despise how some TV shows/movies are a bit too graphic with the rape scenes. Downton Abbey had a totally unexpected violent rape scene this past season. I could see how a woman could be floored by that out of the blue if they were a sexual assault victim. Since some academics will eventually try to bring tv/film tie-ins to courses, I could see there being a trigger warning if that particular season of Downton were somehow linked into a course about "Women in TV" or "Early 20th Century Britain" or whatever. Likewise, if the course is about Mark Twain or the Civil War, I think in any serious academic institution it should be obvious that some variation of racial epitaphs may come up in the course materials and research for papers, etc.

Forum List

Back