"Triggers" in Universities: WTF is Wrong With These People??

Amazing the misinformation.
Yes, many institutions of higher learning are eat up with the liberal dumb ass professor.
But to claim that the large number of engineering, business administration and many other institutions of higher learning are all liberals is absurd.
I have a BBA and a MBA and I had few if any liberal professors.

All it takes is one bad apple....

Yes, I am sure you know more about this than the person who wrote the aritcle because you looked in Wiki.
You're dismissed. Another dimwit.

This has been an issue in academics for awhile. In some cases they might perhaps be appropriate and in some cases not. I know some professors tread around it by making certain materials optional or certain materials required but not discussed in class for fear that it could trigger something emotional in a woman who had been recently raped or something with the anticipated view points that might come up on a particular issue/assignment.

I can empathize with it to a certain degree. For instance, I really despise how some TV shows/movies are a bit too graphic with the rape scenes. Downton Abbey had a totally unexpected violent rape scene this past season. I could see how a woman could be floored by that out of the blue if they were a sexual assault victim. Since some academics will eventually try to bring tv/film tie-ins to courses, I could see there being a trigger warning if that particular season of Downton were somehow linked into a course about "Women in TV" or "Early 20th Century Britain" or whatever. Likewise, if the course is about Mark Twain or the Civil War, I think in any serious academic institution it should be obvious that some variation of racial epitaphs may come up in the course materials and research for papers, etc.

You're comparing television and movies to college classes. That's a non-starter right there.
If you're taking a college class you should be able to examine material with a dispassionate view and an open mind. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be in college. You should be on a mental ward somewhere.

Excellent op ed from Prof Epstein in today's WSJ.
What is wrong with people in college that they need a warning that book might be "offensive"? Are students today really that coddled that the mere appearance of the word "******" (a word that can not be repeated any more under any circumstances) will throw them into suicidal depression?
Joseph Epstein: A New Entry in the Annals of Academic Cravenness - WSJ.com

For those who have not yet caught up with it, in the academic world the phrase "trigger warning" means alerting students to books that might "trigger" deleterious emotional effects. Should a Jewish student be asked to read "Oliver Twist" with its anti-Semitic caricature of Fagin, let alone "The Merchant of Venice," whose central figure is the Jewish usurer Shylock? Should African-American students be required to read "Huckleberry Finn," with its generous use of the "n-word," or "Heart of Darkness," which equates the Congo with the end of rational civilization? Should students who are ardent pacifists be made to read about warfare in Tolstoy and Stendhal, or for that matter the Iliad? As for gay and lesbian students, or students who have suffered sexual abuse, or those who have a physical handicap . . . one could go on.

Pointing out the potentially damaging effects of books began, like so much these days, on the Internet, where intellectual Samaritans began listing such emotionally troublesome books on their blogs. Before long it was picked up by the academy. At the University of California at Santa Barbara, the student government suggested that all course syllabi contain trigger warnings. At Oberlin College the Office of Equity Concerns advised professors to steer clear of works that might be interpreted as sexist or racist or as vaunting violence.
more at the source.

They might find out that Democrats have been lying to them all their lives, they have to be very careful with the stuff they see.

Well, at least no one can be surprised. Control mixed with hyper-sensitivity. The glorious world of Political Correctness. It would not be the first time this happened in the world.

Does anyone think think this will be as bad as it gets? Really?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/18/us/warning-the-literary-canon-could-make-students-squirm.html?_r=0

From the above article: "The presumption there is that students should not be forced to deal with something that makes them uncomfortable is absurd or even dangerous."

I would use the term "madness" to describe this, but it will have its defenders, plenty of them.

Colleges are no longer houses of learning, inquiring, and debate. They are 4 year pit stops between high school and employment or more education.

I don't blame the students, I blame the professors.

Strongly disagree. Have graduated 2 from the university, one is in masters program and the last one is over seas in Europe studying and graduating next May.
Many are what you claim but most are not. Depends also on the major but that is rapidly changing.
Mom and Dad HAVE learned that a degree in urban studies, sociology or Greek mythology will not get you anywhere.
And Mom and Dad are paying the tabs!

Mom and Dad are not paying the tabs, student loans that Warren wants to tax the rich for are.

TRIGGER
WARNING
The reply to this post may cause emotional distress among assholes who think they know everything but are really idiots.

I was not able to. From what was quoted was a misrepresentation of what trigger warnings are for. In other words the author and posters in this thread are tearing down a strawman.

So you didnt read the article, have no idea what it's about, but will conclude anyway that this thread is a strawman? Really?

The quoted section was enough to make that determination. Trigger warnings have nothing to do with any of the examples the author provided. It is a warning to victims of violent crimes that what they are about to read may unearth memories and anxieties of their attack.

This is going to be fun.

At Michigan, speakers at an English Department event on bias said trigger warnings were needed for racially offensive book passages.

Laurie Essig, an associate professor at Vermont's Middlebury College, first heard about trigger warnings in the college context five years ago, following a discussion about eating disorders in her Sociology of Gender course. To illustrate her points, Essig showed pictures of fashion models and images taken from pro-anorexia web sites. Two students took her to task, telling Essig, 'Oh, you should have given a trigger warning for people with eating disorders, they can't see images like that."

"Understand triggers, avoid unnecessary triggers, and provide trigger warnings," instructors were advised to be mindful of sexual misconduct, but also "racism, classism, sexism, heterosexism, cissexism, ableism, and other issues of privilege and oppression."

Trigger Warnings Become A Source Of Conflict In Higher Ed

In other words, the examples the author provided are entirely accurate, which you would know if you had bothered to actually read the article. But we all know that asshole fuckfaces don't need to read the articles, they already have the answers.

I coached rec ball for over 20 years and had a player go to pro baseball, one to pro football and one currently plays for the Washington Wizards pro basketball.
Raised money for drama and theater for my daughter when she was in high school.
Mentored kids in after school programs and tutored.
Some die with large bank accounts, lived in large houses, drove fancy cars and had every material possession in the world.
But some made the difference in the lives of children and that leaves more than anything.

None of that has fuck to do with the thread. It does prove that you think everything is about you though.

Yes, I am sure you know more about this than the person who wrote the aritcle because you looked in Wiki.
You're dismissed. Another dimwit.

This has been an issue in academics for awhile. In some cases they might perhaps be appropriate and in some cases not. I know some professors tread around it by making certain materials optional or certain materials required but not discussed in class for fear that it could trigger something emotional in a woman who had been recently raped or something with the anticipated view points that might come up on a particular issue/assignment.

I can empathize with it to a certain degree. For instance, I really despise how some TV shows/movies are a bit too graphic with the rape scenes. Downton Abbey had a totally unexpected violent rape scene this past season. I could see how a woman could be floored by that out of the blue if they were a sexual assault victim. Since some academics will eventually try to bring tv/film tie-ins to courses, I could see there being a trigger warning if that particular season of Downton were somehow linked into a course about "Women in TV" or "Early 20th Century Britain" or whatever. Likewise, if the course is about Mark Twain or the Civil War, I think in any serious academic institution it should be obvious that some variation of racial epitaphs may come up in the course materials and research for papers, etc.

You're comparing television and movies to college classes. That's a non-starter right there.
If you're taking a college class you should be able to examine material with a dispassionate view and an open mind. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be in college. You should be on a mental ward somewhere.

Apparently you are unaware that college classes and pop culture such as TV and movies intermingle these days. They have whole majors in it---it is called Film.

Apparently you are unaware that college classes and pop culture such as TV and movies intermingle these days. They have whole majors in it---it is called Film.

good one dimwit; a left-winger will major in this then whine when he cant find a job

If I can demand that you supply a trigger warning, and then demand that you not be able to speak if I don't like the trigger warning, how the fuck is that not censorship?

If you are truly curious about trigger warnings and PTSD I would do some individual research since nothing in this thread correctly describes the concept. A trigger warning is just that, a warning that the content may provoke symptoms of PTSD in those who are effected. This author and posters are making it out to be something completely different.

TRIGGER
WARNING
The reply to this post may cause emotional distress among assholes who think they know everything but are really idiots.

So you didnt read the article, have no idea what it's about, but will conclude anyway that this thread is a strawman? Really?

The quoted section was enough to make that determination. Trigger warnings have nothing to do with any of the examples the author provided. It is a warning to victims of violent crimes that what they are about to read may unearth memories and anxieties of their attack.

This is going to be fun.

Laurie Essig, an associate professor at Vermont's Middlebury College, first heard about trigger warnings in the college context five years ago, following a discussion about eating disorders in her Sociology of Gender course. To illustrate her points, Essig showed pictures of fashion models and images taken from pro-anorexia web sites. Two students took her to task, telling Essig, 'Oh, you should have given a trigger warning for people with eating disorders, they can't see images like that."

"Understand triggers, avoid unnecessary triggers, and provide trigger warnings," instructors were advised to be mindful of sexual misconduct, but also "racism, classism, sexism, heterosexism, cissexism, ableism, and other issues of privilege and oppression."

Trigger Warnings Become A Source Of Conflict In Higher Ed

In other words, the examples the author provided are entirely accurate, which you would know if you had bothered to actually read the article. But we all know that asshole fuckfaces don't need to read the articles, they already have the answers.

I'm an asshole fuckface because I do not subscribe to the wallstreet post and am unable to read the article. That makes sense...

College students watch TV so it's a fair comparison. Right?
WHat a dimwitted thing to say. The two are not remotely comparable.

Forum List

Back