Toyota Details Six New electric cars Models Launching for 2020–2025

Actually, it means more coal-burning power plants and gas-operated generators...

Or more wind turbines (which take more energy to make than they will ever produce)...

After all, you have to get the electricity to recharge them from somewhere!!!
faster the better....then build new better Nuclear power plants to support the increase in juice

The Electrical grid can't stand a EMP much less handle 300 million plus electric cars plugged in at night.
Which is why the electric grid capacity is going to have increase by about 40%. Another problem is providing charging stations throughout the country. Most apartment buildings do not have parking places with electrical outlets. Add all this together and it's going to take a lot longer than 20 years to complete the conversion.

The problem the US faces is that so many countries have committed to converting to electric by 2040 that most cars sold in the world are going to be electric. That is going to push US car buyers to electric and we may well not be ready for it.

Whenever electric cars have a range of a thousand miles and can be plugged in to a 110 for 10 minutes for a full charge, Im in.
Over the last 20 years the range of electric cars have increased from 50 miles to over 350 so someday you might just see that. However the decision of whether you buy a gas or electric car in the future is probably going to depend on what manufactures build. Long range plans of the car companies is to build more electric cars and more models and less gas vehicles. It's quite possible that in 20 years, large SUVs and trucks will constitute almost all of the gas vehicle market.

We should in the next 5-10 years.

Whenever electric cars have a range of a thousand miles and can be plugged in to a 110 for 10 minutes for a full charge, Im in.
Over the last 20 years the range of electric cars have increased from 50 miles to over 350 so someday you might just see that. However the decision of whether you buy a gas or electric car in the future is probably going to depend on what manufactures build. Long range plans of the car companies is to build more electric cars and more models and less gas vehicles. It's quite possible that in 20 years, large SUVs and trucks will constitute almost all of the gas vehicle market.

I'd also add that I don't know of any cars that have a range of 1,000 miles on a single tank of gas.Hate to fill that up on empty.

Diesel can. It can be done using the fans, brakes, motion of wheels to recharge a percentage of the electric battery while driving. The technology is there but theyre not rolling it yet.

Got a link to that?

I'd also add that I don't know of any cars that have a range of 1,000 miles on a single tank of gas.Hate to fill that up on empty.

Diesel can. It can be done using the fans, brakes, motion of wheels to recharge a percentage of the electric battery while driving. The technology is there but theyre not rolling it yet.

Got a link to that?

No, but I've seen it in the engineering lab where I work. The concept is regenerative braking but Im seeing the expansion of that in wheel and belt motion.

Got a link to that?

No, but I've seen it in the engineering lab where I work.
Well, I'm sure people see a lot of things in the lab. If it works that would great.

But need I remind you...

Obozo wasted BILLIONS on failed "renewable energy" schemes...

And who wants a vehicle that goes a certain distance, and has to recharge, instead of filling up???

Wouldn't it be a bitch to have your battery die 50 miles from home, and be stranded (unless you hook up a gasoline generator)???

It's cheaper to charge a car than fill up so there are pros and cons to either. If your battery dies 50 miles from home I guess you have to call AAA just like if you ran out of gas.
I don't see that as much of a problem with new EVs having ranges of 200 to 300 miles. I think the bigger problem will be charging. 75 million people live in apartment buildings and very few have parking places that can be used for charging. Also it takes time to charge a battery, typical 8 hours but batteries that have very long ranges can take up to 15 hours.

Most people buy EVs today as second cars or they have short driving distances. EVs are going to be a hard sell for single car families that have average driving distances, take a yearly vacation, and live in an apartment.

One of the pros of EVs is the driving experience. It only takes one ride in a battery-powered car to understand the improved ride quality of an EV compared to a vehicle using a petroleum-powered internal combustion engine. An electric car is very quiet and very smooth. It makes most regular cars seem clunky and outdated. What surprises people more is the high torque (axle-twisting power) offered by EVs. Step on the accelerator and power is delivered immediately to the wheels, providing an exhilarating driving experience.

Last edited:

But need I remind you...

And who wants a vehicle that goes a certain distance, and has to recharge, instead of filling up???

Wouldn't it be a bitch to have your battery die 50 miles from home, and be stranded (unless you hook up a gasoline generator)???

It's cheaper to charge a car than fill up so there are pros and cons to either. If your battery dies 50 miles from home I guess you have to call AAA just like if you ran out of gas.
I don't see that as much of a problem with new EVs having ranges of 200 to 300 miles. I think the bigger problem will be charging. 75 million people live in apartment buildings and very few have parking places that can used for charging. Also it takes time to charge a battery typical 8 hours but batteries that very long range it can take up to 15 hours.

Most people buy EVs today as second cars or they have short driving distances. EVs are going to be a hard sell for single car families that have average driving distances, take a yearly vacation, and live in an apartment.

One of the pros of EVs is the driving experience. It only takes one ride in a battery-powered car to understand the improved ride quality of an EV compared to a vehicle using a petroleum-powered internal combustion engine. An electric car is very quiet and very smooth. It makes most regular cars seem clunky and outdated. What surprises people more is the high torque (axle-twisting power) offered by EVs. Step on the accelerator and power is delivered immediately to the wheels, providing an exhilarating driving experience.

Well, you can charge 100% in 75 minutes on a Tesla supercharger. I tend to think being able to charge at home is an advantage over gas engines as you can do it over night and quicker if you get the faster charger installed. Of course you have to at least live in a house.

Yeah, I agree apartments might be tricky. I'm sure sometime in the future they could be updated with parking spot chargers or some kind of quick charge unit.

I agree but we don't have the electric capacity to support tens of millions of them and building that capacity will take a lot of time and money.

I agree but we don't have the electric capacity to support tens of millions of them and building that capacity will take a lot of time and money.

I agree. The infrastructure to support is the issue.

But need I remind you...

I don't see that as much of a problem with new EVs having ranges of 200 to 300 miles. I think the bigger problem will be charging. 75 million people live in apartment buildings and very few have parking places that can used for charging. Also it takes time to charge a battery typical 8 hours but batteries that very long range it can take up to 15 hours.

Well, you can charge 100% in 75 minutes on a Tesla supercharger. I tend to think being able to charge at home is an advantage over gas engines as you can do it over night and quicker if you get the faster charger installed. Of course you have to at least live in a house.

Yeah, I agree apartments might be tricky. I'm sure sometime in the future they could be updated with parking spot chargers or some kind of quick charge unit.

No one charges 100% - usually you'd charge 20% to 80%. Which is ~180miles in about 20-30min for Model 3 on Supercharger. V3 superchargers coming out now make it even faster.

But need I remind you...

No one charges 100% - usually you'd charge 20% to 80%. Which is ~180miles in about 20-30min for Model 3 on Supercharger. V3 superchargers coming out now make it even faster.

Yep, very true.

Actually, it means more coal-burning power plants and gas-operated generators...

Or more wind turbines (which take more energy to make than they will ever produce)...

We have a Chevy Bolt, and we have panels on our roof. We've not paid a penny for electricity for over two years, nor have we used any electricity produced by coal.

As for wind power, see the history.

History of Wind Power - Energy Explained, Your Guide To Understanding Energy - Energy Information Administration

And, don't forget hydroelectric and geothermal.

But even with all the GOVERNMENT subsidies on those roof panels you still have a ten to fifteen year payback even for the crazy rates you pat to PG&E.

So, I can afford it; and in CA many office building car lots shopping centers and public parking facilities have special parking places for plug in vehicles.

We have a Chevy Bolt, and we have panels on our roof. We've not paid a penny for electricity for over two years, nor have we used any electricity produced by coal.

History of Wind Power - Energy Explained, Your Guide To Understanding Energy - Energy Information Administration

But even with all the GOVERNMENT subsidies on those roof panels you still have a ten to fifteen year payback even for the crazy rates you pat to PG&E.

So, I can afford it; and in CA many office building car lots shopping centers and public parking facilities have special parking places for plug in vehicles.

My payback timeline is about 7 years and the added value to my house just for having solar has already made up for it.

I'm glad, but it's not all about you. Most people move in seven years on average, so installing something like that for the next owner to benefit is economically stupid. I can afford a lot of things, but typically look for the best return for the time period I want. That being said I have poured more money into aviation over the last 25 years than I care to want to remember. So, we all make our spending choices, and if you "feel" good about yours, that's great.

I'm glad, but it's not all about you. Most people move in seven years on average, so installing something like that for the next owner to benefit is economically stupid. I can afford a lot of things, but typically look for the best return for the time period I want. That being said I have poured more money into aviation over the last 25 years than I care to want to remember. So, we all make our spending choices, and if you "feel" good about yours, that's great.

Of course it's not all about me, I'm one data point with a view for the future. Every year more auto makers are producing more electric cars, going longer distances between charges.

How Do Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles Work?

Of course it's not all about me, I'm one data point with a view for the future. Every year more auto makers are producing more electric cars, going longer distances between charges.

Wry, I am liking the description of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles. Now that is an interesting concept, and if accurate, could work!

Hydrogen looks interesting but I think plugin EVs and plugin hybrids will be the vehicle of choice over the next 20 to 40 years. This allows for a gradual phase out of gas powered cars giving us time to develop the needed infrastructure to support EVs. I doubt that anyone alive today will every see the time which there no gas powered vehicles.

There is no real need, nor market calling for EV's as they are inferior to ICE vehicles in almost every way. I doubt we will see them as more than a novelty in our lifetimes or our children's.

There are several reason why it will not be a preferred replacement.
1. It is expensive.
While widely available, hydrogen is expensive. A good reason for this is that it takes a lot of time to separate the element from others. If the process were really simple, then a lot more people would be doing it.

Although, hydrogen cells are now being used to power hybrid cars, it’s still not a feasible source of fuel for everyone. Until technology is developed that can make the whole process a lot more simpler, then hydrogen energy will continue to be an expensive option.

2. It is difficult to store.
Hydrogen is very hard to move around. When speaking about oil, that element can be sent though pipelines. When discussing coal, that can be easily carried off on the back of trucks. When talking about hydrogen, just moving even small amounts is a very expensive matter. For that reason alone, the transport and storage of such a substance is deemed impractical.
11 Big Advantages and Disadvantages of Hydrogen Fuel Cells

Forum List

Back