Top Priorities

What Issues Should the President Focus On While Others Can Wait?

• Economy and jobs

Votes: 41 80.4%
  • Healthcare Reform

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Cap & Trade

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Free Trade Agreements/Relations with other countries

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Energy Security

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Education Reform

• Student Loan Reform

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Hurrican Preparedness

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Environmental Protection

• Other (I'll explain in my posts)

Votes: 13 25.5%

• Total voters
If your arguments were so strong it would not be necessary for you to name call.

My arguments were and are strong.... yours were nothing more than trying to present feeling and opinion as fact...

You were discredited, as well as your sources....

I will call out a manipulator, a liar, and one stating their feeling as fact... which you have done specifically in 2 days in 2 threads that I have participated in...

And it is pretty fun exposing people like you... it's just you're pretty stubborn... you seem to have an aversion to admitting when you are caught

You still stay with name calling Weak.

How do you measure the suffering of the Iraqi people in this war that was completely unnecessary?

Tell me that. Convince me with facts and figures how much better the Iraqis are now then before the war.

If your arguments were so strong it would not be necessary for you to name call.

My arguments were and are strong.... yours were nothing more than trying to present feeling and opinion as fact...

You were discredited, as well as your sources....

I will call out a manipulator, a liar, and one stating their feeling as fact... which you have done specifically in 2 days in 2 threads that I have participated in...

And it is pretty fun exposing people like you... it's just you're pretty stubborn... you seem to have an aversion to admitting when you are caught

You still stay with name calling Weak.

How do you measure the suffering of the Iraqi people in this war that was completely unnecessary?

Tell me that. Convince me with facts and figures how much better the Iraqis are now then before the war.

And you again try and interject your feeling as pertinent or factual... YOU deem the war as 'unnecessary', however this is not a fact

Remind me again who posted opinion pieces, activist authors, and opinion polls as fact and proof behind their stance??

I will continue to discuss this issue. If you can't handle how I do it, dave, put me on ignore. We did not go to war to better the Iraqi people. We did not win friends and influence people in the Middle East.

Last edited:
I will continue to discuss this issue. If you can't handle how I do it, dave, put me on ignore. We did not go to war to better the Iraqi people.

You are not discussing the issue.. you are discussing your feelings and presenting your feelings as fact.... there is a big difference.. and I will call you out every time you do it to to expose your smoke screen

You are right.. we did not go to war with Iraq to "better the people" we went to war with Iraq as a result of their invasion of Kuwait... we re-opened aggression after the terms of cease-fire were continually violated and the national security situation for us drastically changed (and that is fact)
http://uspolitics.about.com/od/wariniraq/a/jt_resolution.htm

Last edited:
I will continue to discuss this issue. If you can't handle how I do it, dave, put me on ignore.

Who said this?

"Saddam Hussein must not be allowed to threaten his neighbors or the world with nuclear arms, poison gas, or biological weapons. . . . Other countries possess weapons of mass destruction and ballistic missiles. With Saddam, there is one big difference: he has used them. Not once, but repeatedly. . . . I have no doubt today that, left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will use these terrible weapons again."

Who said this?

"You allow someone like Saddam Hussein to get nuclear weapons, ballistic missiles, chemical weapons, biological weapons. How many people is he going to kill with such weapons? . . . We are not going to allow him to succeed. "

And this?

"Hussein’s vigorous pursuit of biological, chemical, and nuclear weapons, and his present and potential future support for terrorist acts and organizations . . . make him a terrible danger to the people of the United States. "

And this?

"My position is very clear. The time has come for decisive action to eliminate the threat posed by Saddam Hussein’s WMD’s. "

I will continue to discuss this issue. If you can't handle how I do it, dave, put me on ignore. We did not go to war to better the Iraqi people.

You are not discussing the issue.. you are discussing your feelings and presenting your feelings as fact.... there is a big difference.. and I will call you out every time you do it to to expose your smoke screen

You are right.. we did not go to war with Iraq to "better the people" we went to war with Iraq as a result of their invasion of Kuwait... we re-opened aggression after the terms of cease-fire were continually violated and the national security situation for us drastically changed (and that is fact)

We made more enemies and fed terrorism. There is more ill will toward us from Middle East countries than before we started.

The Iraq war is a colossal failure.

I will continue to discuss this issue. If you can't handle how I do it, dave, put me on ignore.

Who said this?

"Saddam Hussein must not be allowed to threaten his neighbors or the world with nuclear arms, poison gas, or biological weapons. . . . Other countries possess weapons of mass destruction and ballistic missiles. With Saddam, there is one big difference: he has used them. Not once, but repeatedly. . . . I have no doubt today that, left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will use these terrible weapons again."

Who said this?

"You allow someone like Saddam Hussein to get nuclear weapons, ballistic missiles, chemical weapons, biological weapons. How many people is he going to kill with such weapons? . . . We are not going to allow him to succeed. "

And this?

"Hussein’s vigorous pursuit of biological, chemical, and nuclear weapons, and his present and potential future support for terrorist acts and organizations . . . make him a terrible danger to the people of the United States. "

And this?

"My position is very clear. The time has come for decisive action to eliminate the threat posed by Saddam Hussein’s WMD’s. "

Saddam was found to have no WMDs. Remember?

Who said this?

Who said this?

And this?

And this?

But international, national, and military intelligence had valid information to the contrary... lest we forget that several components were found and that Saddam did have a history... and lest we also forget that Saddam did not comply to the inspections criteria.. lest we forget the countless other violations of the terms of cease-fire

We made more enemies and fed terrorism. There is more ill will toward us from Middle East countries than before we started.

The Iraq war is a colossal failure.

Name one more enemy that we have.... I'll be waiting

It is your OPINION that we have fed terrorism, and the opinion found on numerous left-wing blogs and sites.... It is also your opinion that the war was a 'failure' because it appears to go against your political agenda... by the criteria of the goals set forth, the war itself was not a colossal failure... could things have gone better or been done better? Probably... That does not justify your feeling, nor does it make your feeling fact (something you still cannot seem to grasp)

Who said this?

Who said this?

And this?

And this?

False. He was found to have sarin shells that he claimed were destroyed. It wasn't the huge "stockpiles" as was thought, but he certainly did have WMDs hidden in violation of the UN sanctions.

How much sarin is needed to kill a million people?

Who said this?

Who said this?

And this?

And this?

That's not the point. The fact is Saddam had used biological weapons on his OWN people. Fact is he toyed with the weapons inspectors not allowing them to investigate places they wanted to investigate. He wanted people to think he had WMD's and he had a pretty good motive what with Iran poised for an invasion. Fact is he had the know-how to build WMD's.

Those quotes were from Bill Clinton, Al Gore, Hillary Clinton and Charles Schumer.

UNSCOM had uncovered Saddam’s extensive biological-weapons (BW) program, dating back to before Desert Storm, only in 1995. Since then, Iraq claimed to have destroyed its BW stockpile—but there was no proof of this. Similar doubts surrounded Saddam’s chemical-weapons (CW) program, of which even bigger stockpiles remained unaccounted for. (In UNSCOM’s estimate, there were 1.5 undocumented tons of VX gas alone.) In addition, UNSCOM believed Saddam still possessed clandestine Scud missiles, useful as a delivery system for a chemical attack

By the end of the 1990’s, sanctions had become a joke, proving less a liability to Saddam than an asset in rebuilding his power. In October 2000 a supposedly “contained” Iraq had boldly renewed its military cooperation with Syria, moving divisions to the Syrian border and even deploying troops into Syria itself to put pressure on Israel. Since then, Saddam’s attacks on American and British air patrols over Iraq had grown more intense. When General Tommy Franks met with Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld after the liberation of Afghanistan, these attacks headed his daily list of challenges

Since 1998, no inspector had visited Iraq. Huge quantities of chemical WMD’s were known to have existed before Desert Storm. Quantities had been destroyed since. How much more was left? Saddam had never made the accounting demanded by the UN. In its absence, the UN’s chief weapons inspector, Hans Blix, reasonably inferred that considerable quantities must still have existed.
Why Iraq Was Inevitable

Looks like you moved the goalposts. First you said that the US destabilized one of the most stable secular countries, and second you said that there were only two to choose from. Strange.
yeah. saying iraq and israel are the only secular nations in the mideast isnt accurate. there's jordan, turkey and lebanon, too. i'd say israel and turkey obviously have their act together the most, but trailing them was likely iraq in terms of stability, notwithstanding a decade of sanctions.
It is a matter of the press because while you may think violence increased, it actually didn't. Saddam's Republican Guard and Uday's personal hit squad did not need to do roadside and community bombings. They were able to seize anyone and everyone they wanted. Some were killed on sight, some were lured away and then executed, and in a few cases entire villages were wiped out. Nobody knew about it at the time because there was no free press and the limited number of journalists that actually did find these facts didn't report it.
no accusation or estimate of this activity nears that which are accused or estimated of the status quo in iraq since the invasion -- nothing close. Uday and the guard weren't responsible for 600k+ excess violent deaths. iraq is troubled now, where that had never been the case before.
Al Qaeda in Iraq predates the US invasion. It's where Zarqawi relocated after the US invaded Afghanistan and Al Qaeda affiliate Ansar al-Islam operated freely there.
do you have any fact to support these claims? obviously, i am under the impression that the al qaeda in iraq is a reactionary movement which started with our invasion in 2003. i thought that ansar were kurdish separatists who saddam had in check -- examples of iranian-influenced forces which troubled the country after we disbanded the iraqi military. could you educate with some sources?

What would be the purpose of creating chaos in Iraq?
the US is the dominant geopolitical force on the planet. our overriding objective is to disrupt challengers. as you mentioned, we disrupted the oil for food arrangement which played into russian hands. we involved allies in an expensive conflict, and any chance of an organized pan-islamic state, a caliphate, is doused for a decade or better.

if it were for the oil, shit would have been planned differently -- iraq petroleum would probably have been re-privatized. if it were for nation-building, we might have started some work in the relatively peaceful parts of the country where we have no excuse; the nation's infrastructure would not have taken a dive. if it was terror we were after, it would have made more sense to get at yemen, syria, afghanistan (in earnest) -- and that is just in the region.

i dont believe that our military is incompetent, or that the US so clumsy that the general form of our intentions wont be realized after 8 years. i argue that that general form is before us in the chaos which iraq has been left in.

Okay if we have reasonably concluded refighting the Iraq war here--I think we can agree that we won't arrive at a firm concensus of whether that should now be a priority for this Adminitration, or at least what the priority should be----

Moving right along:

I was reading today that the Administration is boasting that the Recovery Act has created three million jobs. By my calculations, that is well over $100,000 expended for every job created, and I don't think anybody will argue that most of those jobs have been government jobs.

Was it worth it? I think that is worth discussion.

And now our Vice President is jumping up and down ready to get started on the fun stuff. Are we ready for 'fun stuff' given that more than 430,000 new unemployment claims were filed this past week, new housing starts are at their lowest point in many decades, and there is no light yet visible at the end of the tunnel?

Should this be a priority at this time? Or is this something that can wait?

You guys make the call:

. . . .in the words of Vice President Joe Biden, Obama's effusive Recovery Act point man, "Now the fun stuff starts!" The "fun stuff," about one-sixth of the total cost, is an all-out effort to exploit the crisis to make green energy, green building and green transportation real; launch green manufacturing industries; computerize a pen-and-paper health system; promote data-driven school reforms; and ramp up the research of the future. "This is a chance to do something big, man!" Biden said during a 90-minute interview with TIME.

For starters, the Recovery Act is the most ambitious energy legislation in history, converting the Energy Department into the world's largest venture-capital fund. It's pouring $90 billion into clean energy, including unprecedented investments in a smart grid; energy efficiency; electric cars; renewable power from the sun, wind and earth; cleaner coal; advanced biofuels; and factories to manufacture green stuff in the U.S. The act will also triple the number of smart electric meters in our homes, quadruple the number of hybrids in the federal auto fleet and finance far-out energy research through a new government incubator modeled after the Pentagon agency that fathered the Internet.
(See TIME's special report "After One Year, A Stimulus Report Card.")

The only stimulus energy program that's gotten much attention so far — chiefly because it got off to a slow start — is a $5 billion effort to weatherize homes. But the Recovery Act's line items represent the first steps to a low-carbon economy. "It will leverage a very different energy future," says Kristin Mayes, the Republican chair of Arizona's utility commission. "It really moves us toward a tipping point."

Read more: Recovery Act: How Obama's Stimulus Is Changing America - TIME

these woulda lost = created job stats are silly if you ask me. same with trying to directly attribute jobs to a legislation which has hardly gotten up to a jogging pace as yet.

at the same time, dividing expenditure by jobs created is not sensible either. if it were, i beg what the prototypical return in terms of jobs should be, and what that is based on. does that validate the idea that the legislation is even responsible for these jobs? not for me.

can you substantiate that more government jobs have been added than have private sector jobs, foxfyre?

these woulda lost = created job stats are silly if you ask me. same with trying to directly attribute jobs to a legislation which has hardly gotten up to a jogging pace as yet.

at the same time, dividing expenditure by jobs created is not sensible either. if it were, i beg what the prototypical return in terms of jobs should be, and what that is based on. does that validate the idea that the legislation is even responsible for these jobs? not for me.

can you substantiate that more government jobs have been added than have private sector jobs, foxfyre?

http://www.bos.frb.org/economic/ppb/2010/ppb101.pdf

Several sources have been posted already Antagon, and I just don't have time right now to go hunt them all up again. The link I just posted gives information from which we can draw inferences if not a bunch of statistics though.

The US did not learn its lesson from its failure in China and in Vietnam. In China, against Mao Tse Tung’s communists, America supported Chiangkai Shek who ultimately ran out of mainland China and with American support became ruler of Chinese off-share island of Taiwan.

We refused to learn lesson from utter failure for intervention in Vietnam against Ho Chi Minh’s government.

We are making the same mistakes in Iraq and Afghanistan.
America supported Chaing in principle only. We left him to flounder. McCarthur wanted to use his troops to tie up China when they became involved in Korea. Truman refused. I think that was a mistake.

The less the ass clowns(both parties) focus and work in DC , the better off we'd probably be. If he wants to focus on anything, let it be getting government out of everyone's business from here to the other side of the world and his golf score.

Talk to the Iraqis about whether they are better off or not.

We have heard plenty from them..and they say they are better off compared to Saddam being in control.

How can you think differently? Have you not see, read, watched what those people went through under him? Come on Sky.

Iraq will be judged a failure by history. The Iraq war hasn't been won anymore than the Vietnam war was won. We've repeated the same failed pattern.
I disagree. This war was won. The military objectives were met.

Okay, still trying to get this thread back on the track please. . . .

This week's Rasmussen report shows of likely voters, both the GOP and Democrats still rate really low with their constituents. 60% of likely voters think Congress doesn't care what they think and most want most everybody tossed out of Congress this November.

As to which party the likely voters trust more on national issues this week:

The Economy - GOP 47% - DEMS 39%

Government Ethics and Corruption - GOP 40% - Dems 38%
(This was 2nd only to the Economy in importance.)

Taxes - GOP 52% - DEMS 36%

National Security & War on Terror - GOP 49% - DEMS 37%

Iraq - GOP 43% - DEMS 40%

Afghanistan - GOP 43% - DEMS 36%

Immigration - GOP 44% - DEMS 35%

Health Care - GOP 48% - DEMS 40%
56% of Americans want healthcare legislation repealed

Education - GOP 41% - DEMS 40%

Social Security - GOP 44% - DEMS 38%

Most Americans want their state to pass an Immigration Law similar to Arizona's.

And overwhelming majority of Americans think those who vote should produce a photo ID before they are allowed to cast a ballot.

At the time President Obama was inaugerated into office last year, almost all and maybe every one of these issues tilted in the Democrats' favor.
Trust on Issues - Rasmussen Reports

But apparently, based on our straw poll here, the majority of all of us are pretty much in tune with America as a whole, at least among likely voters.

Looks like you moved the goalposts. First you said that the US destabilized one of the most stable secular countries, and second you said that there were only two to choose from. Strange.
yeah. saying iraq and israel are the only secular nations in the mideast isnt accurate. there's jordan, turkey and lebanon, too. i'd say israel and turkey obviously have their act together the most, but trailing them was likely iraq in terms of stability, notwithstanding a decade of sanctions.

There was nothing stable about Iraq except for Saddam's absolute power to terrorize any person or group of people at his whim.

It is a matter of the press because while you may think violence increased, it actually didn't. Saddam's Republican Guard and Uday's personal hit squad did not need to do roadside and community bombings. They were able to seize anyone and everyone they wanted. Some were killed on sight, some were lured away and then executed, and in a few cases entire villages were wiped out. Nobody knew about it at the time because there was no free press and the limited number of journalists that actually did find these facts didn't report it.
no accusation or estimate of this activity nears that which are accused or estimated of the status quo in iraq since the invasion -- nothing close. Uday and the guard weren't responsible for 600k+ excess violent deaths. iraq is troubled now, where that had never been the case before.

Assuming that wildly flawed Lancet study is correct, 600,000 deaths post Saddam is an improvement. (7/12/2005) Saddam's Body Count

Al Qaeda in Iraq predates the US invasion. It's where Zarqawi relocated after the US invaded Afghanistan and Al Qaeda affiliate Ansar al-Islam operated freely there.

do you have any fact to support these claims? obviously, i am under the impression that the al qaeda in iraq is a reactionary movement which started with our invasion in 2003. i thought that ansar were kurdish separatists who saddam had in check -- examples of iranian-influenced forces which troubled the country after we disbanded the iraqi military. could you educate with some sources?

Zarqawi Timeline TIMELINE: Zarqawi's road to perdition. - TIME

It had been predicted that Iraq would be a new base of choice for Al Qaeda, and that's exactly what happened after the US invaded Afghanistan.

Ansar al-Islam Ansar al-Islam in Iraqi Kurdistan (Human Rights Watch Backgrounder, ) is actually a consolidation of Kurdish terrorist groups with varying alliances. Saddam hardly had them "in check," as you state but did have key operatives among their leadership. The bulk of the members of what now comprises this group fought in Afghanistan in the 1980s. Links between Al Qaeda and this group have been known since 2001.

The entire set of middle eastern terrorist groups is one with conflicting priorities and very strange affiliations. Hamas and Hezbollah have at times fought with each other for control of Lebanon, but are all allied against Israel and supported by Iran. Iran has supported some elements of terrorist groups in Kurdistan, but then those groups have allied with Sunni Republican Guard splinter groups which were loyal to Saddam. It's a very convoluted and incestuous dynamic.

For the most part, these terrorists are in favor of anything that allows them to acquire power. In Kurdistan sometimes that was resisting Saddam, and at other times it was resisting the various political parties with Saddam's help.

More information:

Ansar al-Islam: Back in Iraq :: Middle East Quarterly

What would be the purpose of creating chaos in Iraq?
the US is the dominant geopolitical force on the planet. our overriding objective is to disrupt challengers. as you mentioned, we disrupted the oil for food arrangement which played into russian hands. we involved allies in an expensive conflict, and any chance of an organized pan-islamic state, a caliphate, is doused for a decade or better.

That may be your perspective, but there's no a whole lot of proof to that. It's speculation from a biased worldview in my opinion.

Regardless, Saddam's support for terrorism, the terrorist threat posed by having terrorist groups find a suitable base of operations (with or without Saddam's assistance and blessing) in Iraq, and Saddam's breach of the cease fire between the US in Iraq were justification enough. No WMDs needed, even though some that had been claimed to be destroyed were found anyway.

if it were for the oil, shit would have been planned differently -- iraq petroleum would probably have been re-privatized. if it were for nation-building, we might have started some work in the relatively peaceful parts of the country where we have no excuse; the nation's infrastructure would not have taken a dive.

The nation's infrastructure was already crumbling before the invasion.

if it was terror we were after, it would have made more sense to get at yemen, syria, afghanistan (in earnest) -- and that is just in the region.

Afghanistan was gotten and Al Qaeda was decimated. The focus for their base then shifted to Iraq so we went there. Syria hasn't been hospitable mainly as a result diplomacy, Yemen is a current focus of numerous Special Operations attacks. There isn't a one size fits all solution. Only now is Al Qaeda making a comeback in Afghanistan because that's the only place they can hide. Associated cells are popping up everywhere else, and that will be dealt with also.

i dont believe that our military is incompetent, or that the US so clumsy that the general form of our intentions wont be realized after 8 years. i argue that that general form is before us in the chaos which iraq has been left in.

Interesting. What were your predictions in 2003?

Forum List

Back