Can Employers Discriminate Against Felons?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by chanel, Aug 16, 2010.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Hot Air EEOC: Employers can’t refuse to hire convicts

Just think of all those new lawsuits!!!!! The defense lawyers can now expand their businesses to file EEOC complaints for all their scumbag defendents! What a country! :evil:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,002
    When I was licensed to sell securities and insurance I had to submit to a background check and any felony conviction would have prohibited me from getting licensed.

I was fine with that as i would not want a felon getting hold of some of my most sensitive personal info.

That said if the government can deny licenses because of a felony then I should be able to deny employment for the same reason.

3. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    I think if you don't want to hire a felon, you shouldn't have to. I know at my job, I have head to feel out a few background checks. For one I have a license with the state, and I would have never gotten that if I was felon, or had certain charges on my record.

4. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,706
    Of course employers don't want to hire convicted felons, so we should just pay parolees welfare for life as a form of "protection" racket to keep them from going back to a life of crime.

5. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,002
    Then you hire a criminal to watch over the business you have invested you life savings to start. Be my guest.

6. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    "could limit opportunities of some protected groups". WTF does that mean? Gay and minority felons get a pass to the front of the line?

Hmmmm. Wonder what this might do to the teaching profession? I'm sure most parents would have no problem with violent offenders in their child's classroom.

Bizarro world.

7. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Day care centers should hire sex offenders?
    Umm I actually thinnk this is illegal in most places.
    I think Catholic operated day care centers have a first ammendment religious exemption though.

8. johnrocks

johnrocks Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I think a private business owner should be allowed to hire who they want, if that permits discrimination then tough shit, they are the ones who may lose everything because of their actions; their business,home and life savings; not the one that got their widdle feelings hurt because they didn't impress the owner enough to get hired or their actions in the past sends a red flag to the owner/manager.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  9. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,706
    :rofl:

Nice inference fail. No offense.

I'm just pointing out that it's not a simple issue and is kind of a catch 22.

10. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    It is necessary for some businesses/companies to know a potential employees background because they deal with money or sensitive information. That being said, why is it necessary for a factory making parts for cars or other factories to know if a person committed a crime? Or should I say was caught. How many of you did things in your younger years that would have landed you in jail if you were caught? Banks need to know who they are hiring.

I think that when background checks are required they should also check for misdemeanors (Many of these were felonies dropped to misdemeanors for a plea) and traffic offenses too. If they are looking at character and integrity look at everything the person did against the law.

Being a felon is not a protected class in discrimination law at present. The argument though deals with the disproportionate number of felons being black, and they are a protected class in discrimination law. They are saying that using felony convictions discriminates against blacks because they make up the majority of felons, even though they are a minority.

Today most companies require on applications that you specify if you have ever been convicted of a felony and some only limit it to 7 years. Background checks are used to verify this information. 90 percent of the companies have no viable reason to deny felons work. Most of them need work and those on parole have to show up and hold jobs to stay out. And the most important reason we want felons employed…if they cannot find jobs what are they going to do if they need money or a place to live? They are going to rob and steal again because they have no choice. Is this what we want? They should not be given preference over other potential employees but they should not be automatically denied either.