Top Kill has failed according to BP

Instead, his criticism is directed at federal involvement. "The best thing the government can do is to stay out of the way, let the companies take the lead and render assistance if requested. Having a bunch of bureaucrats meddling in this is a recipe for another Katrina."

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Now, it is was up to me and considering the depth, the amount of water, the current, I might set off a small nuclear explosion. The radiation would be spread though the water and disperse and it would probably seal the well long enough to put a meaningful cap in place.

Of course, that's just my idea. The amount of radiation, the size of the explosion, they can be calculated. Beside, there is so much contamination now, what's a little more compared to lots more?

But I don't know, I'm not a physicist. Just a regular guy looking at the possibilities of something I admit I know very little about.

To seal the leak? Why can't they do that with regular explosives?

What do you expect the government will do?

How about some explosives at the site to seal the hole? How about since the Government allows drilling by leasing the right to drill they have a plan for such disasters? It is after all Federal Jurisdiction.
Yes, we should have a plan. Canada apparently requires relief wells to be drilled at the same time to avoid these disasters.

But you wouldn't like that, would you? Because it would cost the company doing the drilling more.
RGS, keep in mind that with an explosion the shattered subfloor material under water would be bouyed up being suffused by the water so that it's weight would be reduced by displacement of an equal amount of water. Seems like the flow would find it's way out; just over a much larger area.

The corresponding relief well like Canada requires seems to need to be universally required. But better solutions are needed because it seems that the pressure created by the seafloor and water above pressing down on the reservoir which causes the well to not need to be pumped because of that same geological pressure, would only be reduced by something like 50% if two wells were drilled side-by-side.

It also seems that from looking at what BP has accomplished so far they could lower a huge OPEN gate valve over it, clamp on and then close the valve off, but that would mean the bent over remnant of the original pipe would have to be cut and moved out of the way first, and the volume of oil that would gush out of an unrestricted orifIce might make lowering even an open valve into position nearly impossible. Meanwhile the volume of escaping oil might increase ten-fold. This seems to be a very hairy situation.

Last edited:
Why don't Libs form their own country? They won't need or use oil so they can live in the Sahara or on the Moon. Why do they keep insist on trying to inflict their stupid fucking "ideas" on to the rest of us?

Why should the liberals move to the Sahara or the Moon?

Think about it. Without liberals, you wouldn't need oil. Because you would get your energy from rubbing two sticks together.

Without liberals, this country would be Afghanistan.

Selling cotton.

that's not quite what i had in mind.

my point is that human hands are going to do a better job than robots and my question is whether hard hat diving technology has advanced to where we can even send people that deep.

It's over a mile deep. The pressure from the water combined with the force of the escaping oil has got to be incredibly dangerous.

I know, let's send in Bill Clinton. He's the Obama Admin's Fixer Guy these days.

it is, but if they have pressure suits that can protect astronauts from the near vacuum of space, something similar might work at that depth. i've been away from that technology for almost 30 years now so i really have no idea how deep they are able to go nowadays.

Why risk anymore lives? Anyone crazy enough to suit up and breathe whatever concoction would be necessary at that depth is too damn crazy to trust down there.

Now, it is was up to me and considering the depth, the amount of water, the current, I might set off a small nuclear explosion. The radiation would be spread though the water and disperse and it would probably seal the well long enough to put a meaningful cap in place.

Of course, that's just my idea. The amount of radiation, the size of the explosion, they can be calculated. Beside, there is so much contamination now, what's a little more compared to lots more?

But I don't know, I'm not a physicist. Just a regular guy looking at the possibilities of something I admit I know very little about.

Regular explosives would just create a small creator. A nuclear explosion would "fuse" the ground. Looks like "green glass".

http://www.usmessageboard.com/energy/116867-nuke-that-slick.html

for the third time: the russians claim success for 5 of 6 "petrochemical disasters" capped with a nuclear device. the 6th hole is still burning 40 years later.

that's not quite what i had in mind.

my point is that human hands are going to do a better job than robots and my question is whether hard hat diving technology has advanced to where we can even send people that deep.

It's over a mile deep. The pressure from the water combined with the force of the escaping oil has got to be incredibly dangerous.

I know, let's send in Bill Clinton. He's the Obama Admin's Fixer Guy these days.

it is, but if they have pressure suits that can protect astronauts from the near vacuum of space, something similar might work at that depth. i've been away from that technology for almost 30 years now so i really have no idea how deep they are able to go nowadays.

I know for a fact that the pressure at sea level is 14.7 pounds per square inch. If you go into space, the pressure drops to zero. That means 14 pounds per square inch pushing OUT from your body.

At 5000 feet below sea level, I imagine pressure to be at least a couple of thousand pounds a square inch. Now go down a couple of miles more and the pressure must be unimaginable.

I once read that the US has two subs that can go that deep (5000 ft below SL).

I know for a fact that the pressure at sea level is 14.7 pounds per square inch. If you go into space, the pressure drops to zero. That means 14 pounds per square inch pushing OUT from your body.

At 5000 feet below sea level, I imagine pressure to be at least a couple of thousand pounds a square inch. Now go down a couple of miles more and the pressure must be unimaginable.

sometimes this one is a hard one to grasp, but the problems actually require similar solutions. in space, the pressure has to be maintained to keep the body from exploding and that deep the pressure suit prevents the body from getting crushed.

there are submersibles that have been going much deeper for a long time.
go google the name "trieste"

the problem is that most of those submersibles cannot let divers in and out and i don't know if the ones that can or the divers can work in water so deep.

sometimes this one is a hard one to grasp, but the problems actually require similar solutions. in space, the pressure has to be maintained to keep the body from exploding and that deep the pressure suit prevents the body from getting crushed.

there are submersibles that have been going much deeper for a long time.
go google the name "trieste"

the problem is that most of those submersibles cannot let divers in and out and i don't know if the ones that can or the divers can work in water so deep.

They can't leave the diving bell. The walls are 5 inches thick.

In space, pressure of 14 lbs/sq inch is doable. At the bottom of the ocean, thousands of pounds per sq inch is crushing.

Largest oil spill in the Gulf:

The 2-mile-deep exploratory well, Ixtoc I, blew out on June 3, 1979 in the Bay of Campeche off Ciudad del Carmen, Mexico. By the time the well was brought under control in March, 1980, an estimated 140 million gallons of oil had spilled into the bay. The Ixtoc I spill is currently #2 on the all-time list of largest oil spills of all time.

IncidentNews: 10 Famous Spills

Note duration and size of the spill. Largest estimate to-date for our spill: 29 million barrels.

Apparently blowing up the well is a bad idea, because it allows the oil to be outside the casing. At this point we are trying to get control of the casing and stop the flow. Blowing up the pipe just adds another step to the process and makes thing more out of control.

Relief wells will eventually work. It will be August until that is done. Containing the oil floating around is a priority for now. That will require multiple tankers equiped with pumps to suck up the oil.

Largest oil spill in the Gulf:

The 2-mile-deep exploratory well, Ixtoc I, blew out on June 3, 1979 in the Bay of Campeche off Ciudad del Carmen, Mexico. By the time the well was brought under control in March, 1980, an estimated 140 million gallons of oil had spilled into the bay. The Ixtoc I spill is currently #2 on the all-time list of largest oil spills of all time.

IncidentNews: 10 Famous Spills

Note duration and size of the spill. Largest estimate to-date for our spill: 29 million barrels.

Apparently blowing up the well is a bad idea, because it allows the oil to be outside the casing. At this point we are trying to get control of the casing and stop the flow. Blowing up the pipe just adds another step to the process and makes thing more out of control.

Relief wells will eventually work. It will be August until that is done. Containing the oil floating around is a priority for now. That will require multiple tankers equiped with pumps to suck up the oil.

great. who is going to do it and who is paying the bill?

then after the oil is sucked up, how do we even evaluate the environmental damage when we go to hang the bill on bp?

Forum List

Back