Top Kill has failed according to BP

The Obama Administration's (and Congress') response to date is best described as Kabuki Theater. Calls for investigations and claims that BP will be held accountable and made to pay in order to create soundbites for the news - while the EPA cannot even issue dredging and berm permits to protect the coast.

Someone needs to do something. And they cannot wait another 40 days.

Yes, BP needs to do something.

BP is working to the limit of their capacity, and on parallel paths for an immediate solution. Meanwhile their long range solution is to intercept the oil reservoir below the sea bottom. Their drill depth is at 12,000 feet below the Gulf's surface at the present moment.

The government (and our government could be asking advice of expertise from other governments) should be doing everything it can at the moment as if the flow from the well is not abated until at least the projected time that the intercepting well reaches the reservoir and can be staunched from there.

Last edited:
Cost estimates to date for BP's efforts to contain the spill are close to $1B. They have thousands of people working around the clock to try to resolve the problem. It's insulting to the engineers whose lives are actually at risk to insinuate that they are not "doing something". If anyone has an incentive to resolve this nightmare, it's the BP personnel.

David Brooks did an excellant opinion article on the spill in todays Oregonian.

What I see is that we have been treating risks inappropriatly. The chances that a fighter pilot takes to learn his craft are entirely inappropriate for someone learning toe fly a 747. Chances taken in the Gulf that resulted in this catastrophe were completely inapropriate given the difficulty of reacting to a disaster.

Once again, we come back to a sane measurement of risk and reward. From here on it, we had better learn this lesson well. Sometimes errors are irreversable. Whether the destruction of one of the richest ecologys on earth by trying to save a few pennies, or creating an adrupt climate change by the burning of fossil fuels.

Chances taken in the Gulf that resulted in this catastrophe were completely inapropriate given the difficulty of reacting to a disaster.

Love that hindsight. So I can safely assume every other well drilling in the gulf is taking appropriate chances because they are NOT leaking ? :cuckoo:

BP said the complex "top kill" maneuver to plug its Gulf of Mexico oil well had failed, ending hopes for a quick end to the largest oil spill in U.S. history that is now in its 40th day.

FACTBOX-Developments in the Gulf of Mexico oil spill | Reuters

Recently a scientist was showing the growth of the oil spill and stressing that the gulf is not that big a place considering how fast the oil spill is growing. Are we looking at the gulf becoming a dead sea with unimaginable economic and ecological loss? BP and the administration have both grossly under estimated the disaster and have overestimated BP's capability to solve the problem. I think it's time the government muster all resources regardless of cost to solve this problem. If we are going to lose this battle, let go down fighting.
I don't know. It's obvious that this is beyond the experience of anyone.

It's killing me.

BP said the complex "top kill" maneuver to plug its Gulf of Mexico oil well had failed, ending hopes for a quick end to the largest oil spill in U.S. history that is now in its 40th day.

FACTBOX-Developments in the Gulf of Mexico oil spill | Reuters

Recently a scientist was showing the growth of the oil spill and stressing that the gulf is not that big a place considering how fast the oil spill is growing. Are we looking at the gulf becoming a dead sea with unimaginable economic and ecological loss? BP and the administration have both grossly under estimated the disaster and have overestimated BP's capability to solve the problem. I think it's time the government muster all resources regardless of cost to solve this problem. If we are going to lose this battle, let go down fighting.

What do you expect the government will do?

How about some explosives at the site to seal the hole? How about since the Government allows drilling by leasing the right to drill they have a plan for such disasters? It is after all Federal Jurisdiction.
Yes, we should have a plan. Canada apparently requires relief wells to be drilled at the same time to avoid these disasters.

But you wouldn't like that, would you? Because it would cost the company doing the drilling more.

It's really too bad that partisans exist...they fuck up everything with their whining about "big goverment" and then they come back and whine and complain about the lack of "big government."

Fuck you and your whining.

This is the fault of you and your like minded idiots.

Well it's a shame that technique didn't work out. I wouldn't have thought it was so difficult to close up, but then ive never tried to close one before.

What I see is that we have been treating risks inappropriatly. The chances that a fighter pilot takes to learn his craft are entirely inappropriate for someone learning toe fly a 747. Chances taken in the Gulf that resulted in this catastrophe were completely inapropriate given the difficulty of reacting to a disaster.

Once again, we come back to a sane measurement of risk and reward. From here on it, we had better learn this lesson well. Sometimes errors are irreversable. Whether the destruction of one of the richest ecologys on earth by trying to save a few pennies, or creating an adrupt climate change by the burning of fossil fuels.

Chances taken in the Gulf that resulted in this catastrophe were completely inapropriate given the difficulty of reacting to a disaster.

Love that hindsight. So I can safely assume every other well drilling in the gulf is taking appropriate chances because they are NOT leaking ? :cuckoo:
It is because the US Government bowed to certain special interests that created the policies that pushed exploration further off-shore and thus to greater depths and to the very limits of technology.

my2¢;2356782 said:
I think it's time the government muster all resources regardless of cost to solve this problem. If we are going to lose this battle, let go down fighting.

That's where I'm now at. With that unpleasant news you've passed I've reached the point of hearing enough from BP. I believe the government has had plenty of time to assemble a team to take executive control over the operation and should proceed on doing so immediately.

You do understand our government is clueless as to how to stop the leak ?
The government knows how to do one thing---raise taxes and throw money at it.
oooo--they could make a law that makes leaking illegal.
Cmon folks----the government is composed of a bunch of politicians who probably couldn't get a cat out of a tree.

I thought Obama said he's been in charge "since day one"?

He has been. But he made one dumb mistake. Listening to the most stupid and retarded Americans screaming "Drill Baby Drill". Hopefully, this has taught him a valuable lesson.

I thought Obama said he's been in charge "since day one"?

He has been. But he made one dumb mistake. Listening to the most stupid and retarded Americans screaming "Drill Baby Drill". Hopefully, this has taught him a valuable lesson.

When on earth has he supported drilling for our own production on both land and sea?

something? what something?

this is why so many of us were opposed to drilling in the first place.

you don't do things that you can't fix.

What do you mean "What Something".

SOMETHING!

It's part of that conservative "common sense" they are always going on about. Who needs "science"? They have "common sense" and they have figured out the solution - "Something".

Now if we could just get this valuable information to the government.

Didn't the right wingers say they were secretly "monitoring" the board? Well there you go. Now they have the answer, "Something".

It is because the US Government bowed to certain special interests that created the policies that pushed exploration further off-shore and thus to greater depths and to the very limits of technology.

The government let science carry out experiments? For shame. I hope they have learned their lesson.

something? what something?

this is why so many of us were opposed to drilling in the first place.

you don't do things that you can't fix.

What do you mean "What Something".

SOMETHING!

It's part of that conservative "common sense" they are always going on about. Who needs "science"? They have "common sense" and they have figured out the solution - "Something".

Now if we could just get this valuable information to the government.

Didn't the right wingers say they were secretly "monitoring" the board? Well there you go. Now they have the answer, "Something".

Hey dumb ass, are you some kind of drilling expert? I know I'm not. Don't know jack shit about it. So yes I am fully qualified to say that someone needs to do something. I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about like so many people do.

I learned from my Grandfather. " I know enough about everything to know that I know everything about nothing."

Forum List

Back