Top Kill has failed according to BP

I thought Obama said he's been in charge "since day one"?

Have you anything other that idiocy to post? We have just succeeded in destroying one of the richest ecologys on this planet. One that has supplied this nation with the majority of it's seafood.

The US Government has no resources at all to deal with this kind of disaster. Indeed, the only people that do are the oil companies. All our President can do is try to ramp up the efforts to deal with the oil as it makes landfall. And keep the pressure on BP to cap that well.

When the well is capped, then we can address whether offshore drilling should be allowed at all. And how much of the damages can be paid by a new tax on all oil coming into the US. For BP is not going to by able to cover this.

Why did we know that was coming? Ban all off shore drilling! And let China come into the gulf and do it instead? Or maybe we can invite Iraq or hey maybe Iran would like to drill in the gulf. I'm sure there are dozens of others also. You can't stop them with US law. You can only be stupid about it.

Yes it is the worst we have had, now let's fix it and move on.

You are quite right.

Ladies and gentlemen - there is no other way to describe what has been shown regarding Obama during this crisis. He has proven himself incapable of actually leading.

Is it any accident that we have had more terrorist attempts, more Afghan deaths, more rogue nations becoming increasingly belligerent, in recent months?

Obama is weak, and from weakness follows great danger.

I pray someone is able to forumulate a plan to stop the leak soon - but great damage has already been done in the weeks since it began, and those in the world who wish to do this country harm are now greatly emboldened by the sheer magnitude of Obama's incompetence and indiference.

Lord help us...

I don't think the Lord has much use for whining liars.:lol:

Have you anything other that idiocy to post? We have just succeeded in destroying one of the richest ecologys on this planet. One that has supplied this nation with the majority of it's seafood.

The US Government has no resources at all to deal with this kind of disaster. Indeed, the only people that do are the oil companies. All our President can do is try to ramp up the efforts to deal with the oil as it makes landfall. And keep the pressure on BP to cap that well.

When the well is capped, then we can address whether offshore drilling should be allowed at all. And how much of the damages can be paid by a new tax on all oil coming into the US. For BP is not going to by able to cover this.

Why did we know that was coming? Ban all off shore drilling! And let China come into the gulf and do it instead? Or maybe we can invite Iraq or hey maybe Iran would like to drill in the gulf. I'm sure there are dozens of others also. You can't stop them with US law. You can only be stupid about it.

Are you saying that we are incapable of stating, and making it stick, that nobody drill off of our shore? Are you Army boys that shitless?

what should the government do?

send everyone down with straws?

i think the expertise is with the oil companies unfortunately... and they're flying by the seat of their pants.

perhaps where the government comes in is in trying to keep the oil away from shore.

Gov "Gin Doll" is still waiting the go ahead to build the structure to do exactly that

Are you saying that we are incapable of stating, and making it stick, that nobody drill off of our shore? Are you Army boys that shitless?

I'm saying that Americans don't have the guts to make such a demand, And it would have to include all waters off our shore and everywhere in the Gulf. Go try it and see how many nations fight that. You know damned well we can't make it stick, at least not without WW3.

I knew that the worstless top kill wouldn't work, but what do you think about the chances of this other thing they are going to try in a few days working?

BP has already lowered the expectation by saying that "most" of the oil could be captured from the next procedure they try.

My questions is if they can pump all that mud and crud into the pipe, why can't they pump concrete into the pipe? Which is doing more environmental harm, oil or concrete?

I haven't seen a whole bunch of explanation on why this must be so hard to do, but one of the many reasons it must be hard is the sheer pressure down there. I don't know what the PSI at 5000 feet down is, but the oil is spewing out against that preassure.

The weight of concrete, I think, stays the same at depth and the force of that spew would just blow it away.

It's a good thing we have the Big 0 in the White House. He knows how to make the seas recede so, when he does that, the experts will be able to work on this with no water in the way. Like every other problem, it's the last thing he thinks of before he goes to sleep and the first thing he thinks of when he awakens.

Another problem solved.

In Oregon, almost all of our electricy is hydoelectric or wind.

FYI: From Oregon's Department of Energy site...

The two major sources of electricity in Oregon are hydropower and coal, but natural gas is playing an increasing role in future supplies.

Department of Energy Electricity Supply and Oregon

First, your site is a decade old.

Second, it is worse today than it was then. I was flatout wrong. Today, some 40% of Oregon's electrical power is from coal. Damn!

Going to have to work harder to remedy that!:evil:

I'm saying that Americans don't have the guts to make such a demand, And it would have to include all waters off our shore and everywhere in the Gulf. Go try it and see how many nations fight that. You know damned well we can't make it stick, at least not without WW3.

Bullshit. Just who the hell would challenge us on that? Cuba?

In Oregon, almost all of our electricy is hydoelectric or wind.

FYI: From Oregon's Department of Energy site...

The two major sources of electricity in Oregon are hydropower and coal, but natural gas is playing an increasing role in future supplies.

First, your site is a decade old.

Second, it is worse today than it was then. I was flatout wrong. Today, some 40% of Oregon's electrical power is from coal. Damn!

Going to have to work harder to remedy that!:evil:
___

Actually it's YOUR site from YOUR state of residence! :lol:

And from the link...

Page updated: August 01, 2007

You best get on your state to update its own Dept of Energy website a bit more! While not a decade old as you claim (you havin' a bad day pard?) it's still a bit long in the tooth...

Bullshit. Just who the hell would challenge us on that? Cuba?

Yes for one. add Nicaragua, and all their allies. And probably a few who would normally be on our side. We do not own the Gulf of Mexico.

I think it's time the government muster all resources regardless of cost to solve this problem. If we are going to lose this battle, let go down fighting.

That's where I'm now at. With that unpleasant news you've passed I've reached the point of hearing enough from BP. I believe the government has had plenty of time to assemble a team to take executive control over the operation and should proceed on doing so immediately.

+

You are quite right.

Ladies and gentlemen - there is no other way to describe what has been shown regarding Obama during this crisis. He has proven himself incapable of actually leading.

Is it any accident that we have had more terrorist attempts, more Afghan deaths, more rogue nations becoming increasingly belligerent, in recent months?

Obama is weak, and from weakness follows great danger.

I pray someone is able to forumulate a plan to stop the leak soon - but great damage has already been done in the weeks since it began, and those in the world who wish to do this country harm are now greatly emboldened by the sheer magnitude of Obama's incompetence and indiference.

Lord help us...

How has he shown he isnt able to lead in this situation?

More Afghan deaths comes from having an actual fighting force there now.

Why is Obama weak?

Why is Obama incompetent? How is he indifferent?

my2¢;2356782 said:
I think it's time the government muster all resources regardless of cost to solve this problem. If we are going to lose this battle, let go down fighting.

That's where I'm now at. With that unpleasant news you've passed I've reached the point of hearing enough from BP. I believe the government has had plenty of time to assemble a team to take executive control over the operation and should proceed on doing so immediately.

____

A version of this should have been done weeks ago.

A month has passed and still LA state was waiting on the OK to put up protective barriers that may have greaty assisted salvaging critical wetland areas. The Feds, starting with Obama, have done a horrendous job handling this situation.

How? What expertise and equipment does the government actually have to "take over" the operation?

BP said the complex "top kill" maneuver to plug its Gulf of Mexico oil well had failed, ending hopes for a quick end to the largest oil spill in U.S. history that is now in its 40th day.

FACTBOX-Developments in the Gulf of Mexico oil spill | Reuters

Recently a scientist was showing the growth of the oil spill and stressing that the gulf is not that big a place considering how fast the oil spill is growing. Are we looking at the gulf becoming a dead sea with unimaginable economic and ecological loss? BP and the administration have both grossly under estimated the disaster and have overestimated BP's capability to solve the problem. I think it's time the government muster all resources regardless of cost to solve this problem. If we are going to lose this battle, let go down fighting.

What do you expect the government will do?

How about some explosives at the site to seal the hole? How about since the Government allows drilling by leasing the right to drill they have a plan for such disasters? It is after all Federal Jurisdiction.

How? What expertise and equipment does the government actually have to "take over" the operation?

Where the government had a clear and viable role was assisting in protecting the shoreline, and cleaning up the oil.

Weeks went by before FINALLY Obama and the Feds seemed to wake up and at least voice some genuine concern.

Capping the leak - yeah, the Feds likely have far less ability there.

The stopping of the leak is an engineering project. I don't see the government getting it done. Protecting the coast from the oil, and the clean up - yes. They can do that. Unfortunately, they've been dragging their feet. Why is it taking so long to get EPA permits to dredge and build sand berms? Utter lunacy.

what should the government do?

send everyone down with straws?

i think the expertise is with the oil companies unfortunately... and they're flying by the seat of their pants.

perhaps where the government comes in is in trying to keep the oil away from shore.
First of all, I think every oil skimmer on the planet should be heading to the gulf, regardless of cost. Secondly the government should be mustering all the manpower it can to help clean up the shorelines. We should be prepared to place barriers in the most ecologically and economically sensitive areas. As we can see on the news workers need protective gear, equipment, and training. Lastly, BP isn't the only oil company out there with technical expertise at handling oil spills. We should be tapping all resources. We should be hoping for best outcome and planning for the worst.

Maybe some of this is being done. If so, the administration should be sharing this with the people. Simple saying we are on top situations isn't good enough.

Forum List

Back