Tonights moon from my phone.

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
20230928_200153.jpg

Last night's moon was the biggest moon i've ever seen, it was crazy. Reminded me of this scene....

I noticed today the sun's already pretty far to the south.

What sun? My house is at the bottom of a North-facing wooded hill, so I won't get to see the sun until next June.
I live in FL. Not really too many hills here. If there is, it's not too noticable.

The sun's been very hot in Walker County Texas.
It's cooling off some here. Might only get up to 92 tomorrow.

I think the closer to the equator you get, the moon looks bigger.

Like down in Key West, the moon takes up almost 20% of the sky.

Okay, maybe not 20%, but I've seen it look bigger than this:

d94586a8ec52d1ae6b7d5d3e9681e914.jpg

The phones are odd. I can get some amazing zoomed pictures but if I try to zoom just enough to get it to show what I actually see it just won't focus right and always comes out as a white blot. It comes up perfectly between the trees but that shot with the branches always looks awful.
1000009904.jpg

No details even though I can see the details on the surface.

Moon_20230929z-topaz-enhance-6x.jpg

Sadly, this forum strips all the EXIF data out of posted pictures, which tell a lot of the story about how a picture was taken. I've attached the EXIF data in a separate file, but there's much more to this picture than what these data tell.

The lens was an ancient (late 1960s or early 1970s) Vivitar 85-205mm ƒ/3.8 “TELE-ZOOM” lens, set to ƒ/11 and 205mm. This isn't included in the EXIF data, because the lens is so primitive that it does not report its specifications or settings to the camera. This was stacked from sixty separate shots, all at the same settings, using Sequator. Enhanced and upscaled with Topaz Photo AI, and all editing done in Zoner Photo Studio.

All shots 1⁄100 of a second at ƒ/11, ISO 100, in accordance with the Loony 11 rule. I'm thinking, now, that maybe I should have taken some shots at a lower exposure; perhaps that would have saved some detail that seems to have been lost around the edges. Or maybe not.

Attachments

• Moon_20230929z-topaz-enhance-6x.jpg.exif.txt
    9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The moon was spectacular this morning on the drive in over the city buildings but no time for photos in bumper to bumper traffic

Forum List

Back