Today's the day!

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
The trash talking is over and it's time for the big game. I've already got my 2 Terrible Towels on the TV and have taken out my official Steelers helmet (yep, the same one the players wear!)

I'm usually very superstitious but today is special so I'm bringing out all of my stuff to bring me luck! Got my Bettis jersey ready with my official sidelines long sleeve T underneath. I bought a tie while in Pittsburgh in 1998 and I'm going to open it for the first time. My doggie wears his Steelers collar today and gets walked with his Steelers leash. I also bought a flag in Pitt which has been flying outside my house for the past 2 weeks. My 5 year old will be wearing his jersey, and I'm going to have my wife wear an old Kendrell Bell jersey. All cold and hot drinks will be served in Steelers cups and mugs. And yep, I'm wearing my Steelers boxers underneath as well! Anyone want a pic? :)

Now the wait is on though and I'm sure it'll feel like a week before the game gets here at 6:30.

Best of luck to Seattle and I hope the game is played fairly and injury free. Best of luck to you Seahawk fans as well! Enjoy the game!

And most of all - :gs:

That's a nice gesture and all - and you'll need all the luck you can get after Seattle blows them out by at least 20points... :)

jimnyc said:
The trash talking is over and it's time for the big game. I've already got my 2 Terrible Towels on the TV and have taken out my official Steelers helmet (yep, the same one the players wear!)

I'm usually very superstitious but today is special so I'm bringing out all of my stuff to bring me luck! Got my Bettis jersey ready with my official sidelines long sleeve T underneath. I bought a tie while in Pittsburgh in 1998 and I'm going to open it for the first time. My doggie wears his Steelers collar today and gets walked with his Steelers leash. I also bought a flag in Pitt which has been flying outside my house for the past 2 weeks. My 5 year old will be wearing his jersey, and I'm going to have my wife wear an old Kendrell Bell jersey. All cold and hot drinks will be served in Steelers cups and mugs. And yep, I'm wearing my Steelers boxers underneath as well! Anyone want a pic? :)

Now the wait is on though and I'm sure it'll feel like a week before the game gets here at 6:30.

Best of luck to Seattle and I hope the game is played fairly and injury free. Best of luck to you Seahawk fans as well! Enjoy the game!

Hey, I don't know the 'players' so I'm sure I'll just check into the game now and then to find out which of my 'friends' will be up or down later. :D What I'm really interested in, what are you guys making for munchies? :laugh:

LOL! Jim, just saw the banner, one of the perks of ownership! :beer:

Good luck Jimbo. Last year for me was totally intense and nerveracking. I was sitting there in disbelief at the half when it was stll only 7-7. You are not going to enjoy the game unless Pitt is way ahead. Im just speaking from last years experience with the Eagles in it. I was on edge the whole game.

:gs:

jimnyc said:

I tell ya - you are a TRUE fan, what with all that stuff just to root for the 2nd place team. :D

Kathianne said:
Hey, I don't know the 'players' so I'm sure I'll just check into the game now and then to find out which of my 'friends' will be up or down later. :D What I'm really interested in, what are you guys making for munchies? :laugh:
Just what I was thinking, Kathianne! :D

I'm making Creamy Black Bean Salsa for my husband.

Oh, and sorry Jim. I just found out, since the Bengals didn't make it, we are rooting for the Seahawks.

Go Seattle!

Well I was going to make Shrimp Creole for my dad, but my brother invited him over. My guess, he'll go, since I will only run down for commercials and half time! :laugh:

I think i'll watch the match this night (France Télévision shows it from 11 PM to 5 AM, first time).

I heard that the Seattle's Seahawks has a reputation of looser team. Is it true ? I think if they're in Superbowl, they 're good.

i don't know the level of the team in US football, so i have no idea about them and I don't know who support. :dunno:

For you, and without the fan-side, who will probably win ? who is the favorite ? (of course, a favorite can lose...France lost today against Scotland in Rugby in VI Nations tournament and was ultra-favorite, and France won the Europe championship of handball against Spain, the favorite team).

any idea ?

Thanks, and if I don't "see" you before the game, enjoy a lot and have a nice match !!!!!!! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

padisha emperor said:
I think i'll watch the match this night (France Télévision shows it from 11 PM to 5 AM, first time).

I heard that the Seattle's Seahawks has a reputation of looser team. Is it true ? I think if they're in Superbowl, they 're good.

i don't know the level of the team in US football, so i have no idea about them and I don't know who support. :dunno:

For you, and without the fan-side, who will probably win ? who is the favorite ? (of course, a favorite can lose...France lost today against Scotland in Rugby in VI Nations tournament and was ultra-favorite, and France won the Europe championship of handball against Spain, the favorite team).

any idea ?

Thanks, and if I don't "see" you before the game, enjoy a lot and have a nice match !!!!!!! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Jim being from East is for Steelers. dmp et al are from the more leftist west coast aka as seattleville. Who owns? :laugh:

superbowl is the final against the winner of the East and West conferences ?
so, except here, does it mean that a west team never play against an easter team ?

(and is there a conference where the teams have an upper level ? If yes, quite unfair, because the number 5 of the conference A would beat the first of the conference B).

Sorry, i'm a novice in US football :D
but I try to be better in this domain ;) (the only thing i know is that the players have 4 tries to cross 10 yards, and the only teams I know are the ones who were on the Macdonalds' cards 1993-1994, when I was in LA and SF... - Dolphins, Raiders, 49ers, Cowboys..... :) )

-Cp said:
That's a nice gesture and all - and you'll need all the luck you can get after Seattle blows them out by at least 20points... :)

What a SWEET SWEET victory!

Would you like a drink to help wash down that crow? :)

Steelers kicked some ass! And even without the three bad calls which, admittedly, were terrible, I really still think Pittsburgh would've won. Somewhere in the third quarter, the Hawks just gave up.

Congrats, Jim, I have a feeling you're more excited than Cowher himself right now.

padisha emperor said:
superbowl is the final against the winner of the East and West conferences ?
so, except here, does it mean that a west team never play against an easter team ?

(and is there a conference where the teams have an upper level ? If yes, quite unfair, because the number 5 of the conference A would beat the first of the conference B).

Sorry, i'm a novice in US football :D
but I try to be better in this domain ;) (the only thing i know is that the players have 4 tries to cross 10 yards, and the only teams I know are the ones who were on the Macdonalds' cards 1993-1994, when I was in LA and SF... - Dolphins, Raiders, 49ers, Cowboys..... :) )

Padisha,

American football is divided into 2 conferences, NFC and AFC. Each conference has 16 teams from all parts of the country, East, North, south and West. Each area gets 4 teams and these represent 8 divisions. The 8 winners of these divisions plus the next 4 best teams record wise goto a playoff system. The 2 BEST teams from both the NFC and AFC get to skip the first week of the playoffs for their good records in the regular season. The remaining 8 teams play in a single elimination match to move on. So it looks like this.

NFC
1. East Div Winner
2. North Div Winner
3. South Div Winner
4. West Div Winner
5. Wild Card
6. Wild Card

AFC
1. East Div Winner
2. North Div Winner
3. South Div Winner
4. West Div Winner
5. Wild Card
6. Wild Card

1 and 2 get a week off.
3 vs 6
4 vs 5

Winners play the 1 and 2's.
Winners of the next 2 play each other in their respective conference (Conference Championship).
Winners of those games play in the Super Bowl (NFC vs AFC).

Now during the regular season, each division plays another division from the opposite conference. So every year, every team plays 4 teams that are not in their conference.

Traditional, each conference goes through cycles of being the better conference. In the 80's, it was a mix of Good NFC and AFC teams. In the 90's in was msotly dominant NFC teams till the late 90's. Then the AFC started to become the powerhosue again. The power sways back and forth due to Free Agency and drafts (worse teams get better players to rebuild faster). ITs an ebb and flow. Right now, the AFC has the stronger teams but the NFC has 1 or 2 good teams in it that can compete. This year Seattle was one of the best teams in the whole League but they couldnt beat Pittsburgh in a single elimination game.

The NFL runs on the premise that any given Sunday any team can beat any other team, no matter good or bad they are. ITs all about preparation for the game. IF a team thats really good slacks off preparing for a horrible team and the horrible team prepares really well, they can beat that good team. Doesnt happen often. Thats why good teams are good and bad teams are bad but it does happen. Thats what makes football so great.

Thank you very much insein ;)

I watch the three first quarter times, when the Steelers lead 14-10.

But i've heard that the touchdown of Roethlisberger #7 was not good, he had his knees on the ground before the ball pass the line, then the action should have been stopped before he scores.
And also that the judges were quite severe when they didn't admitt the touchdown of the Hawks at the beginning of the match, because the receiver hadn't realy kick its adversary.
So if these infos would be correct, Hawks qould have won 17-14 (or 16-14 if the footkick would have been missed).

Anyway, interesting for me to watch this game. Really different from rugby, where the ahead-launch are forbidden (only back) and where the game is less stopped each minutes.
But a nice show, i'm gad to have seen it (and the rolling stones for the half time, the world could be worst :D )

padisha emperor said:
But a nice show, i'm gad to have seen it (and the rolling stones for the half time, the world could be worst :D )
Well... at least this year, the half time show didn't have any boobs they could flash the camera with...

The Stones at the Super Bowl... wow.... I wonder who'll do the half time show at Super Bowl L (i.e. Fifty)... The Beatles?

Yeah, I know... two of them are dead.... but I'm sure if they paid them enough, George and John might consider doing it! :)

lol :D

I heard Mick Jaeger and his fellows made the show for free, the publicity was enough...but I've doubts...the Rolling Stones don't need promotion :D

Eminem should have been the singer for the half time, but the NFL refused it. And NFL asked the RS to not play their song "sweet neocon"...

padisha emperor said:
lol :D

I heard Mick Jaeger and his fellows made the show for free, the publicity was enough...but I've doubts...the Rolling Stones don't need promotion :D

Eminem should have been the singer for the half time, but the NFL refused it. And NFL asked the RS to not play their song "sweet neocon"...

Well.. it's the superbowl, so I think they wanted to keep politics out of it....

I have a feeling that 10,000 years from now, archeologists will unearth a tomb, and upon entering it, will find, to their surprise... that Mick Jagger and the Stones will still be playing together....

padisha emperor said:
Thank you very much insein ;)

I watch the three first quarter times, when the Steelers lead 14-10.

But i've heard that the touchdown of Roethlisberger #7 was not good, he had his knees on the ground before the ball pass the line, then the action should have been stopped before he scores.
And also that the judges were quite severe when they didn't admitt the touchdown of the Hawks at the beginning of the match, because the receiver hadn't realy kick its adversary.
So if these infos would be correct, Hawks qould have won 17-14 (or 16-14 if the footkick would have been missed).

Anyway, interesting for me to watch this game. Really different from rugby, where the ahead-launch are forbidden (only back) and where the game is less stopped each minutes.

Alot goes on in the course of a football game. So 1 play can adjust the outcome of a game, but ultimately there is plenty of time for a team to make up from MOST mistakes.

The reason Roethlesberger's TD was good was because the referee called it a TD on the field. This meant that for the ref to OVERTURN the call there had to be conclusive evidence that it WASNT a TD. So since there wasnt eneough evidence that it wasnt a TD, the play stood. If it had been called a NO TD, then that most likely would have stood.

The TD pass where the Seattle Wide Receiver pushed the Defender is technically the correct call in the rule book. If a player pushes off of a defender to gain an advantage while the ball is in the air, then its Offensive Pass Interference. What usually happens though is that Refs only call BLATANT fouls in an important game. This wasnt the case here. The ref called a big foul on what looked like a weak call.

The Hawks still could have won but the course of a game takes many paths and who knows what would have happened had those plays been changed.

Forum List

Back