Tobacco and hypothroidism

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Can Tobacco Have Positive Benefits for Thyroid Patients? A Look at Anatabloc

There's a new dietary supplement on the scene that is creating a great deal of interest among thyroid, autoimmune and inflammation patients. The supplement, called Anatabloc, is derived from anatabine - an alkaloid found in tobacco. Endocrinologist Paul Ladenson, MD from Johns Hopkins has been involved in researching anatabine and thyroid autoimmunity. In addition, early results from recent studies being conducted around the country are showing that Anatabloc may be able to reduce thyroid antibodies specifically, and modulate inflammation in general. If you're interested in learning more, here are some resources:

Read the rest at the link.

An Immune System and Thyroid Upside for Tobacco? Anatabine / Anatabloc Dietary Supplement | National Academy of Hypothyroidism

Who would have guessed that second-hand cigarette smoke could have a surprising health benefit? Or that tobacco, long dismissed as unhealthy, might have some healing benefits, even playing a role in a new dietary supplement? Medicine and health technology are full of surprises sometimes.

Anatabine ameliorates experimental autoimmune ... [Endocrinology. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Abstract

Tobacco smoking favorably influences the course of Hashimoto thyroiditis, possibly through the antiinflammatory proprieties of nicotine. In this study we tested anatabine, another tobacco alkaloid, in a model of experimental autoimmune thyroiditis. Experimental autoimmune thyroiditis was induced by different doses of thyroglobulin, to produce a disease of low, moderate, or high severity, in 88 CBA/J female mice: 43 drank anatabine supplemented water and 45 regular water. Mice were bled after immunization and killed to assess thyroid histopathology, thyroglobulin antibodies, T(4), and thyroid RNA expression of 84 inflammatory genes. We also stimulated in vitro a macrophage cell line with interferon-γ or lipopolysaccharide plus or minus anatabine to quantitate inducible nitric oxide synthase and cyclooxygenase 2 protein expression. Anatabine reduced the incidence and severity of thyroiditis in the moderate disease category: only 13 of 21 mice (62%) developed thyroid infiltrates when drinking anatabine as compared with 22 of 23 (96%) controls (relative risk 0.59, P = 0.0174). The median thyroiditis severity was 0.5 and 2.0 in anatabine and controls, respectively (P = 0.0007 by Wilcoxon rank sum test). Anatabine also reduced the antibody response to thyroglobulin on d 14 (P = 0.029) and d 21 (P = 0.045) after immunization and improved the recovery of thyroid function on d 21 (P = 0.049). In the thyroid transcriptome, anatabine restored expression of IL-18 and IL-1 receptor type 2 to preimmunization levels. Finally, anatabine suppressed in a dose-dependent manner macrophage production of inducible nitric oxide synthase and cyclooxygenase 2. Anatabine ameliorates disease in a model of autoimmune thyroiditis, making the delineation of its mechanisms of action and potential clinical utility worthwhile.

And a blog -

The Urban Domestic Diva: The Anatabloc Logs

Buying Anatabloc

https://store.anatabloc.com/anatabloc-3pack

$270.00 (!!!)

Thoughts?

I was a lot calmer. I didn't find the need to beat the shit out of a progressive on a daily basis. Yup. I was better.

I should also have mentioned that it apparently helps with other immune and inflammatory issues.

This is fascinating stuff for pain sufferers who have not found relief from other sources. I just wish it were not so expensive. OTOH, I'll gladly spend it if it helps. I have a friend who swears by it.

I wonder - could this be a legit use for vapor cigs?

I don't know if it's used in the e-cigs.

I'm a smoker, it helps TONS with my airborne allergies. The smoke overrides and helps block perfumes and some other irritants. It doesn't work against other types of smoke, or against mold, though.

I think you're right about cigs and metabolism. Look how many people gain weight after quitting. They can't all be overeating.

In order to put this compound in Ecigarettes it would have to be extracted from tobacco and put in the vapor juice. There is no tobacco in Ecigarettes.

I'm a smoker, it helps TONS with my airborne allergies. The smoke overrides and helps block perfumes and some other irritants. It doesn't work against other types of smoke, or against mold, though.

I think you're right about cigs and metabolism. Look how many people gain weight after quitting. They can't all be overeating.

I didn't say I think smoking impacts metabolism but I suspect it does.

And, I don't know enough about ecigs to judge. Aren't ecigs just nicotine?

Thing is, a lot of my pain started when I quit smoking. I didn't credit that at the time but I do remember that I quit and fell off the wagon several times. Each time, I remember very clearly that I felt better (in some ways!!) when I smoked but, of course, I always figured it was just withdrawal.

The very last thing I ever want is to smoke again. Its just too horrible to even think about. And, as an ex-smoker, ecigs scare me.

Actually, as awful as cigs smell to me, I really don't think of myself as an "ex-smoker". I'm a smoker who hasn't smoked for many years.

Also, was just talking to a friend who is buying ecigs. I really don't get all the differences. Aren't they all the same?

People gain weight because they substitute cigarettes for food or candy. I lost weight. I replaced negative habits with positive ones. I ate healthily and started to get out more and do things and walk a few blocks to the store rather than drive, etc.

People gain weight because they substitute cigarettes for food or candy. I lost weight. I replaced negative habits with positive ones. I ate healthily and started to get out more and do things and walk a few blocks to the store rather than drive, etc.

I did that the first time I quit. Finally had a talk with myself about calories in vs calories burned and didn't gain again when I finally quit for good.

I think its likely that age also plays a big role. Used to be that when my jeans got snug, I just worked a little harder and ate less. Now, every bleeping calorie counts.

Forum List

Back