To Declaw or not declaw

Get a dog.

With my work schedule, I don't have time to be fair to a dog. I have time to be fair to a cat since a cat could care less if you live or die. Also, my condo association doesn't allow dogs and they've evicted owners for keeping them.

To hell with dogs. Cat lover here. In California, you have the option to de claw..(we did with our siamese cat).

Here in Arizona, we were told by the shelter you cant get cats declawed. Turns out that was thier policy, not the states but we never did get them declawed anyway.

If they are 100% indoor cats, declaw away.

What you don't understand, tinydancer, is I don't care about cat owners. I care about the cats.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I once had two cats declawed. It was one of the most shameful things I ever did in my life. I regret it dearly. How self-centered I was.

IDreally wish people who don't like animals with claws would just get gerbils, or something. Not cats.

Of course, it's an entirely different matter to rescue a cat who's already been declawed. Amazing how many of those end up getting dumped off at the local Animal Control center.
:lol:

Did you spay or neuter?

Okey dokey, let's examine spaying and neutering.

Rip out uterus. :lol: Check.

Castrate male :lol: Check.

Front claws compared to balls and a uterus considered cruel by a dipshit lib::lol: Check.

Hey, you stupid bitch, I'm not a lib.

There are no residual affects from being spayed and neutered. A female dog spayed before her first estrus may become incontinent and require medication for a lifetime, however, so it might be wise to wait until after she comes into heat the first time before spaying.

A female dog who is spayed has a reduced risk of breast cancer, however.

Here would be a human comparison...a women who has a hysterectomy versus a woman who has all her fingers amputated? NOW which has the most impact?

I hate it when I have to explain things to stupid people.
Considering you do it to yourself daily I can see why you would hate it.
:dunno:

Thank you for playing and not making me wait a long time to reply. lol

Yes, it was a false generalization. On purpose, to show you the foolishness of comments you made prior. I appreciate your taking in of strays. I got all my cats from the shelter or unwanted by their owners too. Only the last cat was declawed. It has a personality which makes it ill suited to going outdoors and I live in town, so it is strictly an indoor cat. I'd appreciate some consideration that this was the proper way to handle this particular cat. When I'm at home posting, Daisy is usually by my feet getting a pet and purring.

When I first signed up on this forum I mentioned that I had a couple of hot buttons. Cruelty to animals is one of them.

Like, you have this Zona, here, saying "declaw away," like it's just no big deal. I hate that. It disgusts me.

But I don't really like fighting with people. I made my case, I just ask people to do a little research before deciding to do it. When I declawed mine, I didn't bother to find out much about it. After the deed was done, some time later I started reading up on it, and I thought, oh what an inconsiderate twat I am. Seriously. Because as I said, I knew in my heart it was wrong. But it was oh, so conveeenient for ME. Me me me me.

I'm out of here. Hearing about this crap breaks my heart. Poor little helpless kitties.

Did you spay or neuter?

Front claws compared to balls and a uterus considered cruel by a dipshit lib::lol: Check.

There are no residual affects from being spayed and neutered. A female dog spayed before her first estrus may become incontinent and require medication for a lifetime, however, so it might be wise to wait until after she comes into heat the first time before spaying.

Here would be a human comparison...a women who has a hysterectomy versus a woman who has all her fingers amputated? NOW which has the most impact?

That's all you have to say? What about my analogy? Why not address that instead of fighting like a woman. Making "catty" little comments. LOL

That's all you have to say? What about my analogy? Why not address that instead of fighting like a woman. Making "catty" little comments. LOL

I already answered you in a previous post, told you what you were doing from a psychological standpoint and you apparently chose to ignore it so why bother giving you the courtesy of anything except deserved derision. Besides my last response was dead on the mark considering how stupid you constantly prove yourself to be.

Don't do it!

It will render your cat defenseless should he get out.

But on the other hand, if you have an animal in your house that destroys your furniture and creates a liability problem, you may as well get a dog.

Not that I have anything against cats, but I suspect that cat people really want a dog anyway but don't want the bother. And they are a big pain in the ass but a whole lot better company and a lot more fun than a cat.

Just to clear this up. If you know cats, they club and bring in their opponent with their front claws and do the demo dance with their back paws in motion. holy toledo it's something to behold.

That's on a one on one. Now to dogs. Depends on the size of the dog. I've seen feral work large dogs from a distance and you would swear Morris had just become a freaking tiger.

Cats are just so awesome. I have no words really. I love them to death.

Now to declawing. If it means that a cat gets a shot at a home by being declawed, I'll take declawing for a thousand Alex.

What you don't understand, tinydancer, is I don't care about cat owners. I care about the cats.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I once had two cats declawed. It was one of the most shameful things I ever did in my life. I regret it dearly. How self-centered I was.

IDreally wish people who don't like animals with claws would just get gerbils, or something. Not cats.

Of course, it's an entirely different matter to rescue a cat who's already been declawed. Amazing how many of those end up getting dumped off at the local Animal Control center.

Did you spay or neuter?

Yowzah. Go back and read my post. I never called you personally anything.

But now that you want to go personal, I'll dance. And you have now entered a world of trouble.

I really wanted to come back in and let you know that exactly where I live less 2 miles down my road there is an intersection of a highway and a rural road.

A lady who passed away last winter used to accept all dump offs of cats and fed them and cared for these that stayed with her. But she died last winter. Now I'm in a real hard part of weather in the north. On the edge of what you would call a State Forest. Husband was grief stricken stopped feeding the cats.

We banded together and my one neighbor, bless her soul, with food we donated started going over daily and feeding all of them. Our local vet started a free spay and neuter program and for the most part we've got all the cats in different cow and hog barns. Big community effort. And not only did we save most of the cats, but I think a lot of people learned that to have a cat have a litter (so many parents want their children to experience this) and not be prepared to deal with the kittens is one of the most irresponsible lessons you can teach your children.

Every one has a different story. Your blanket condemnation of anyone who declaws though is disturbing.

Last edited:
My indoor cat has caught two bats and several mice over the years. If you move and are small she will get you.

My Pyewacket died a couple of years back at almost 21. So I think I can speak as an individual as a good person who has been owned by a cat.

#1 rule never ever insult another cat owner. Why? because all of our lives and our situations are different.

#1 rule shut up that you are a great cat owner we don't want to hear it. if we are bitching it means we really have a problem.

#1 rule always shut up and just try to help any cat owner thru whatever hell they are going thru. because they are hurting.

And the most important rule

#1 don't ever tell me I don't love cats that was the most reviling part of your post. How dare you?

Did you spay or neuter?

Again, they don't use their uterus and their balls to walk and climb. They do use their feet and claws. And there's a purpose to elminating the sexual organs that actually benefits the cats themselves....it makes them healthier.

Not so with removing the claws. It's a purely selfish operation that does affect how they move...for no other reason than the convenience of the owners.

It's right up there with docking tails and ears...except tails and ears aren't weight bearing appendages.

Like I said, people have teh right to mutilate their own animals, they are, after all, animals. But don't pretend it's for the benefit of the animal, because it's not. It's entirely at the caprice of the owner, and actually hinders the cat.

Don't do it!

It will render your cat defenseless should he get out.

But on the other hand, if you have an animal in your house that destroys your furniture and creates a liability problem, you may as well get a dog.

Not that I have anything against cats, but I suspect that cat people really want a dog anyway but don't want the bother. And they are a big pain in the ass but a whole lot better company and a lot more fun than a cat.

I think it's a matter of being fair to the animal.

A dog needs what you call the "bother" because it is by nature, a "pack" animal. It needs to be a part of "pack", and it's ancestor was a wolf that was too stupid to realize the things walking on two legs aren't the same species. If I had the time to spend with a dog, I'd love to have one. I don't, and I'd want to be fair to the animal.

A cat, on the other hand, is more self-sufficient. It can subsist on less attention. (My cats, however, do get upset if I leave on business or vacation for any length of time, even if I designate a qualified caregiver.)

Not that cats aren't fun in their own way. Their curiousity, their playfulness, makes them entertaining.

Did you spay or neuter?

Again, they don't use their uterus and their balls to walk and climb. They do use their feet and claws. And there's a purpose to elminating the sexual organs that actually benefits the cats themselves....it makes them healthier.

Not so with removing the claws. It's a purely selfish operation that does affect how they move...for no other reason than the convenience of the owners.

It's right up there with docking tails and ears...except tails and ears aren't weight bearing appendages.

Like I said, people have teh right to mutilate their own animals, they are, after all, animals. But don't pretend it's for the benefit of the animal, because it's not. It's entirely at the caprice of the owner, and actually hinders the cat.

Don't tell me you too......... *sigh*
People, stop reading the god damned PETA pamphlets, they're lying to you.

I don't read peta.

I just know animal anatomy, and I know cats, believe me..I've spent lots of time with them, watching them, vetting them, etc.

I don't have any myself, a cat's life is a transitory thing and I don't like to mess with them. But my mom on the other hand....

I don't read peta.

I just know animal anatomy, and I know cats, believe me..I've spent lots of time with them, watching them, vetting them, etc.

I don't have any myself, a cat's life is a transitory thing and I don't like to mess with them. But my mom on the other hand....

I'm extremely familiar with anatomy, I've also had cats for 20 years straight and another 10 years, off and on. None of our cats suffered in any way shape or form from loosing their front claws nor did or do they look "mutilated" and my cats aren't the only ones. We've never had to send them to a kitty shrink or had a prosthesis made and scheduled them for months of physical therapy plus other than cat nip and milk they haven't become substance addicted.
Stop with the emotionally driven bull shit.

[What you don't understand, tinydancer, is I don't care about cat owners. I care about the cats.

I really wish people who don't like animals with claws would just get gerbils, or something. Not cats.

What a crock of shit. The number of clawed cats FAR outweighs the small number of declawed ones in shelters. A person incapable of showing human compassion certainly cannot show it toward an animal and be an emotionally healthy person. That is a fact.
well yes im a volunteer in a animal shelter and the reason the cats there are mostly cats with claws is because they are outdoor or feral .
declawed cats are indoor and most owners take care not to let them outside .

by the way i see you cant discuss the subject intelligently without given me a neg rep not nice
ive never given a neg rep unless its to return one left for me ,
obviously you dont have consideration for other peoples point of view many of us have had cats as companions for years as well as you

Last edited:

Did you spay or neuter?

With all due respect, my cats are indoor beasties. I frankly would never declaw. BUT if it made a difference where someone could have a cat or the cat goes to a grave, lets take away those nails. If I had an option. And when you want to tell me I capriciously might declaw a cat, tell me after you learn my best jammy legged guy Pyewacket made it to almost to 21.

Here's where I have to go, fuck off. You have a cat as your best buddy for almost 21 years longer than most husbands, come back to me.

Now to docking ears and tails, do you understand a hunt and why certain breeds were first docked?

And when you enter my world which is a catahoula world, bear in mind I really really know my shit.

Last edited:
I don't read peta.

I'm extremely familiar with anatomy, I've also had cats for 20 years straight and another 10 years, off and on. None of our cats suffered in any way shape or form from loosing their front claws nor did or do they look "mutilated" and my cats aren't the only ones. We've never had to send them to a kitty shrink or had a prosthesis made and scheduled them for months of physical therapy plus other than cat nip and milk they haven't become substance addicted.
Stop with the emotionally driven bull shit.

I used to watch Hershey. Yes she was a chocalate point siamese that my husbands ex wife never had an any imagination in naming a beastie.

But Hersh would grab Pyewacket with her front legs, declawed, but just grab him and nail the new little kitty with her back legs going a freaking mile a minute and killing him with her teeth at the same time.

Holy freaking toledo!!! I'm still amazed Wacky loved her in the end. But they formed a bond. Go figure. Cat world. But trust me declawed didn't mean jack shit.

Did you spay or neuter?

With all due respect, my cats are indoor beasties. I frankly (with the exception of working cats like barn cats) would never declaw. And when you want to tell me I capriciously might declaw a cat, tell me after you learn my best jammy legged guy Pyewacket made it to almost to 21.

Here's where I have to go, fuck off. You have a cat as your best buddy for almost 21 years longer than most husbands, come back to me.

Now to docking ears and tails, do you understand a hunt and why certain breeds were first docked?

And when you enter my world which is a catahoula world, bear in mind I really really know my shit.
I have had cats since i was a teen many years ago
I have two indoor cats not declawed one is almost 18 years old and weights 21 lbs yes he is *neutered *
the other is a female 4 yes old she is *spayed *
I also have a outdoor cat who was feral lives in the garage and yes he never comes inside and the other two never go out even if I forget to shut the door

With all due respect, my cats are indoor beasties. I frankly (with the exception of working cats like barn cats) would never declaw. And when you want to tell me I capriciously might declaw a cat, tell me after you learn my best jammy legged guy Pyewacket made it to almost to 21.

I have had cats since i was a teen many years ago
I have two indoor cats not declawed one is almost 18 years old and weights 21 lbs yes he is *neutered *
the other is a female 4 yes old she is *spayed *
I also have a outdoor cat who was feral lives in the garage and yes he never comes inside and the other two never go out even if I forget to shut the door

You are the perfect human being owned by cats.

Each is unique.

That's the only point I was trying to make ever. All of them are so different. I've had feral friends in Tennessee, I've had Hershey my husbands siamese, and my doll of dolls Cola's lil Nitro my burmese who I adored, to pyewacket a foundling orange and white buddy for almost 21 years, to my girl that I put up a singular thread, my sweet pea, a rescue who just went to rainbow bridge.

Have to love them all and never ever condemn anyone who enters a feline world and shares their existence.

that is the question.

Back in February, I got a new cat to replace my companion of 15 years.

I didn't declaw the old cat because he was sufficiently mellow to where that wasn't an issue.

this new cat, while affectionate, seems to like to use it's claws whenever possible- on the furniture, on me, etc.

I'm reluctant to declaw, but obviously, the damage the animal is doing is going to set me back quite a bit, and there is always the liability if she claws a guest.
Removing a cats claws is like removing your fingers. Cat's need their claws. They use them every day, not just to scratch your furniture. It helps them climb, jump, and play. Without their claws there're almost defenseless and they know it. And don't let anyone tell you removing their claws is painless. Imagine having all your fingernails cut out. A lot of vets will not do the operation. I have not seen any animal welfare groups recommend it.

We have had at least a dozen cats over many years. The best cats were the ones with claws. I think they were more confident and just more fun to own. If you can stand an occasional scratch, let your cat keep its claw the way nature intended.

Last edited:
You should have your cats spayed or neutered and microchiped. Cats can reproduce at an astounding rate. In most cities, there are a huge number of feral cats due primarily to irresponsible owners. Life for these animals is pretty miserable. On average they live only about 4 years. Rarely do they have enough food. Most of their kittens die. They carry and spread diseases to other cats and often die from malnutrition and disease or there're eaten by other animals.

Domestic cats on the streets don't last near as long as ferals. Domestic cats that have been declawed cannot hunt and thus have a very limited food source, humans. Although humans are their only source of food, many learn rather quickly not to trust humans. They search for food and a home until a car or disease ends their life.

If your cat is microchipped and is turned into a shelter, there is good chance you will get your kitty back.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back