tipping the delivery guy?

depends on what you ordered...how fast it got there....was it raining....did you get him smoked up...lots of variables....how far out did he have to drive etc..a couple of bucks is normally good....a joint to go is considered a nice tip..dank and keep the couple of bucks

I tip the delivery guy roughly 15%...$2 minimum.

Two bucks on a $10-17 order.

Three dollars on a $17-25 order.

Maybe an extra buck if their really on the ball, super fast or it's fowl weather.

Depends how long it takes, the weather, size of the order, but unless it's really bad service I always tip at least 15% or $2, whichever is more. It helps make up for all the folks who stiff them. Or in this town, make prank orders and waste their time.

Hmm.
Guess I have never thought of tipping a delivery person.
I don't see them as a "tippable" person?

If you order something from someone - nobody tips the myriad of people involved in everything it took to get it to your door - why tip the last person only?
Would you consider writing a check with $5 added with a message "give this to the folks"?

I have some experience with this. Way back when I was going through my divorce, I was in the Navy. Times were pretty tough financially for me so I had an after work job delivering pizzas. I did this for over a year and I worked just about every night and on the weekends I was off. I must have delivered a million pizzas. Some people would tip pretty nicely. About half the people wouldn't tip at all. There was this one place that a guy lived and he always tipped very well. It was nothing to get a $10.00 tip from him. Once I asked him why he always tipped so much and he said, "When I order pizzia, I know there are some fights over who's going to deliver it and it's going to get to my house quickly and it will still be hot when it arrives." This guy was right. In that business, most of the regular delivery people know who they can expect a tip from and who's going to stiff you. I agree that tips should be based on good service. I've been on both sides of the fence when it comes to tipping. As a result, I am pretty much a heavy tipper. We go to the same resturants nearly all the time and the waiters all know the wife and I. We always get great service. I make it pretty standard to tip at least 25% to 35% of the bill. To me, good service is worth this and besides, maybe it's tough times for that wait person like I was going through once long ago.

I have some experience with this. Way back when I was going through my divorce, I was in the Navy. Times were pretty tough financially for me so I had an after work job delivering pizzas. I did this for over a year and I worked just about every night and on the weekends I was off. I must have delivered a million pizzas. Some people would tip pretty nicely. About half the people wouldn't tip at all. There was this one place that a guy lived and he always tipped very well. It was nothing to get a $10.00 tip from him. Once I asked him why he always tipped so much and he said, "When I order pizzia, I know there are some fights over who's going to deliver it and it's going to get to my house quickly and it will still be hot when it arrives." This guy was right. In that business, most of the regular delivery people know who they can expect a tip from and who's going to stiff you. I agree that tips should be based on good service. I've been on both sides of the fence when it comes to tipping. As a result, I am pretty much a heavy tipper. We go to the same resturants nearly all the time and the waiters all know the wife and I. We always get great service. I make it pretty standard to tip at least 25% to 35% of the bill. To me, good service is worth this and besides, maybe it's tough times for that wait person like I was going through once long ago.

You are correct sir.

Also, your drinks will be stronger, your food will get there faster, and you'll sometimes get some things 'comped' because they like you so much.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
Wait...sorry...I just noticed this is in the Food/Wine forum...I was thinking a delivery guy who delivers furniture or something.

I go with strollingb on this...depends on the weather and politeness etc.

I usually give them $3-$4.
And BTW - I was a pizza delivery guy for 3-4 months 26 years ago.
You can make solid teenage money delivering pizza. I made about $150 a week..and that was in 1984.

Hmm.
Guess I have never thought of tipping a delivery person.
I don't see them as a "tippable" person?

If you order something from someone - nobody tips the myriad of people involved in everything it took to get it to your door - why tip the last person only?
Would you consider writing a check with $5 added with a message "give this to the folks"?

Those who wait on you in a restaraunt aren't the only ones serving you. But then from your response you may not tip them (just an assumption). There are the cashier and the people that clean the tables. If the waitor or waitress is smart they will tip the person who cleans the tables. And as we know you get better service when you tip, they should know that to. When they tip the cleaners well, their tables are cleaned quicker giving them customers quicker. I don't like tips taken out automaticly. I want to control that. While I can be a BUTT HEAD, I'm not an ASSHOLE. Well most times I'm not. I usually tip 15% - 20% and there are times I tip more. Then there are those times where you really do need to make a point. I had a waitress that spills a drink on me (Hold on. I know this happens)
and says "OH MAN, that's the third time that's happened to ME today" No "woops, I'm sorry" , Hell there wasn't even a woops. She got 2¢ .
Another time (I won't go into all of it) I had my mother with me and the service (not waitress) was so bad I asked for the manager. I tell them (me in red and they in blue) This is the second time in a week I've had problems here. The first time I only made mention. Bu Sir I'm so sorry, well bring you something else. No,no,no I'm not even in the mood to eat now. I'm not paying for this and actually I think I should get a coupon for a free meal. NOW I have no problem with the waitress. She did her job. She kept the coffee coming and was very polite and apologetic for what ever the screw-up in the kitchen was. I'm even leaving her a tip, but the meal well I'l sure as hell get arrested before I pay for it.
And then that's when the police showed up.
NO, she apologized again and gave me a coupon. Didn't pay for the meal.

Forum List

Back