Holiday Dessert Ideas...

Shadow

Silver Member
Aug 16, 2008
Land Of Enchantment
I was looking at an old Land of Lakes cook book and ran across a recipe I haven't had for ages. Figured I would post it if anyone was interested.

Feel free to add any recipes you would like to share also..

Pear Pandowdy

a traditional favorite--features fresh fruit baked with buttery cinnimon sugar and topped with bisquits.

Filling:

1 c firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c butter or margarine,softened.
2 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp Cinnimon
2 tbsp lemon juice
5 c peeled,cored,sliced pears

Bisquits:

1 1/2 c buttermilk baking mix
1/2 c milk
1tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp cinnimon
(vanilla ice cream for garnish)

Heat oven to 400 degrees. In large mixing bowl combine brown sugar,butter,flour,cinnimon and lemon juice. Beat at med speed,scraping bowl often,until well mixed (1 to 2 min). Add pears;toss to coat. Spoon into a 2 qt casserole dish. Cover and bake for 25 to 35 min,or until pears are crisply tender.

Meanwhile,in small bowl combine baking mix and milk;stir until moistened. Drop by spoonfuls onto hot pear mixture to make bisquits. In small bowl stir together sugar and cinnimon. Sprinlke sugar mixture over busquits. Return to oven,bake uncovered for another 15 to 20 min,or until bisquits are lightly browned.

Top with icecream or whipped cream (optional)

• Banned
From an old Tupperware cookbook (1981)

Strawberry-Lemon Freeze

1 quart low fat strawberry frozen yogart
1 pint low fat lemon frozen yogart
1 8 oz can crushed pineapple(juice pack) drained.

Chill jello mold in freezer prior to use.

In med mixing bowl,soften stawberry yogart by using wooden spoon to stir and press against sides of bowl. Soften until pliable. Quickly spread the softened yogart up the sides of chilled jello mold. Making even layer on bottom and up both sides. (if yogurt slips down,refreeze in mold until workable.) Seal and freeze until firm.

In a large pitcher,soften lemon yogart in same matter as you did the strawberry. Gently fold in drained pineapple. Spoon lemon mixture into center of already prepared Strawberry mold. Seal and freeze until firm.

Just before serving,remove mold from freezer. Immerse in warm water for 20 sec;remove from water and dry with cloth.Unseal large seal;place serving tray over mold and invert tray and mold together. Slowly remove design seal (if applicable). Carefully lift off mold. Let stand Aprox 10 min before serving.

Garnish with fresh strawberries if desired. makes 8 servings.

• Banned
Ice Cream Snowballs

Need:

Any variety of Icecream flavors.
(1 Gallon of icream makes aprox 30 snowballs)

Toppings 3 cups (any variety)
(Topping ideas: Mini choc chips or M&M's, Shredded coconut,Chopped nuts,Coco Krispies)

Foil or Cupcake wrappers

Plastic wrap

Ice cream scooper.

Baking sheet

Directions:

1. Scoop out one ball of icecream at a time.

2. Roll in toppings.

3. Place the balls in mini-muffin wrappers and set onto the tray. (You can keep the baking sheet in the freezer and place each ball one at a time into freezer.)

4. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and freeze over night

from Bluebunny web page

• Banned
Pumpkin Toffee Cheesecake

Fr: Libby's Website

Crust:

1 3/4 cups shortbread cookies, crushed
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted

Cheesecake:

3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 (15 ounce) can LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
2/3 cup NESTLE® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup crushed toffee candies

Topping:

1 (8 ounce) container sour cream, at room temperature
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Caramel ice cream topping (optional)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

2. For Crust: Combine cookie crumbs and butter in small bowl. Press onto bottom and 1-inch up side of 9-inch springform pan.

3. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes (do not allow to brown). Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.

4. For Cheesecake: Beat cream cheese and brown sugar in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, cornstarch and cinnamon; beat well. Pour into crust.

5. Bake for 60 to 65 minutes or until edge is set but center still moves slightly. Remove from oven; top with toffee candy pieces.

6. For Topping: Combine sour cream, granulated sugar and vanilla extract in small bowl; mix well. Spread over warm cheesecake.

7. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Remove side of springform pan. Drizzle with caramel topping before serving.

My daughter made a Punch Bowl Cake at Thanksgiving. She baked a yellow cake and broke it into pieces in the bottom of her container, made a layer of pudding (I think she said vanilla), a layer of thawed strawberry pie filling, a layer of whipped cream ... it was to die for.

There are numerous recipes on the internet calling for various ingredients for various occasions.

I'm making a pecan pie (from a 1950's Good Housekeeping cookbook. It is da bomb; I'll post it later) and this. This is easy peasy and really, really good.

Cherry Cheese Pie

1 lb. cream cheese, softened
1/2 pint heavy whipping cream, whipped
3/4 cup sugar
3 tspn. vanilla
1 tspn. lemon juice

1 baked pie crust (400 for 7-8 minutes), cooled
1 jar cherry pie filling

In mixer, whip cream. Set aside.

In mixer, mix cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and lemon juice. Whip very well. Add whipped cream to cream cheese mixture and whip well again. Pour into pre-baked pie crust. Refrigerate for several hours. Before serving, spoon cherry pie filling on top covering whole pie or just in the center or serve in a bowl for folks to spoon on their own.

Pie Crust

1/8 lb. cold butter, cubed
1/2 cup shortening
6 tblspns cold milk
1 tspn salt
2 cups flour

Put 1/2 shortening into dry ingredients. Beat well. Add rest of shortening and butter. Beat not as well. Add milk. Mix until dough just starts to come together. Dump dough onto wax paper and form into two discs. Refrigerate for 1/2 hour before using.

• Banned
I'm making a pecan pie (from a 1950's Good Housekeeping cookbook. It is da bomb; I'll post it later) and this. This is easy peasy and really, really good.

Cherry Cheese Pie

1 lb. cream cheese, softened
1/2 pint heavy whipping cream, whipped
3/4 cup sugar
3 tspn. vanilla
1 tspn. lemon juice

1 baked pie crust (400 for 7-8 minutes), cooled
1 jar cherry pie filling

In mixer, whip cream. Set aside.

In mixer, mix cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and lemon juice. Whip very well. Add whipped cream to cream cheese mixture and whip well again. Pour into pre-baked pie crust. Refrigerate for several hours. Before serving, spoon cherry pie filling on top covering whole pie or just in the center or serve in a bowl for folks to spoon on their own.

Pie Crust

1/8 lb. cold butter, cubed
1/2 cup shortening
6 tblspns cold milk
1 tspn salt
2 cups flour

Put 1/2 shortening into dry ingredients. Beat well. Add rest of shortening and butter. Beat not as well. Add milk. Mix until dough just starts to come together. Dump dough onto wax paper and form into two discs. Refrigerate for 1/2 hour before using.

Sounds great and easy is very very good!! And just so you know...Pecan pie is my favorite pie ever...with a very close follow up by coconut cream :)

My daughter made a Punch Bowl Cake at Thanksgiving. She baked a yellow cake and broke it into pieces in the bottom of her container, made a layer of pudding (I think she said vanilla), a layer of thawed strawberry pie filling, a layer of whipped cream ... it was to die for.

There are numerous recipes on the internet calling for various ingredients for various occasions.

Those pudding cakes are good! I remember watching Emeril make one for a group of fireman on his show once...so I tried it at home. Very easy. Yellow cake broken up,chocolate pudding,cut up banana's,whipped cream. Yummy!!

Last edited:
I always liked that word Pandowdy.

Pandowdy.

Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan DOWDY!

I had heard it spoken...but didn't know it was an actual desert until my mother bought one one thanksgiving. That and shoo-fly pie.

Shoo-fly pie

Ingredients:

2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts

1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup warm water
1 cup molasses

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup butter

Directions:

1. Place pie crusts in 9 inch pie pans. Chill the crusts approximately 1 hour before use.

2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees

3. In a medium bowl, stir together the baking soda and warm water. Mix in the molasses and stir until foamy. Transfer the mixture to the pie crusts.

4. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar and baking soda. Use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour mixture until very fine crumbs have formed. Sprinkle the crumbs over the molasses mixture in the pie crusts.

5. Bake in the preheated oven 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking 35 minutes, or until crust is lightly browned and the filling has set.

Cranberry/Orange Muffins

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons grated orange rind
3/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup canola oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 cups coarsely chopped fresh cranberries
1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted

Directions:

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Set aside 1 tablespoon sugar. Combine flour, remaining sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.

Combine rind, juice, oil, and egg in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Fold in cranberries and walnuts. Spoon batter into 16 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with reserved sugar. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until the muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Run a knife or spatula around outer edge of each muffin cup. Carefully remove each muffin; place on a wire rack.

okay this is quick and easy...and a wee bit odd

package of butter cake or yellow cake

pack of mini marshmellows

can of cherry or whatever you want pie fillling

make the cake mix as directed on box.....

layer a 13 x 9 pan with the marshmellows....spray the pan first...

pour cake batter over the marshmellows

do not mix....spoon pie filling on top of cake batter...again to not mix or stir...

bake at 350 till cake is done....the marshmellows will rise to the top..the pie filling goes to the bottom....i dont ice this..cause its sweet already....but you can ice it ...

^^^This sounds really good,and something easy for my daughter to do (she loves to cook). I'm off this week,and this sounds like something we can do together. Thanks for the idea.

DesertChristmas.jpg

Forum List

Back