Tipping in Resturants

That's a symptom of the problem with tipping. Everyone knows their getting a tip and Millenials don't care. They'll make money even treating people like crap. People rarely talk to management, they think they got revenge with a 10% tip.

I disagree.
Crappy waiters can expect five percent from me.
If they have half a brain and can connect the higher tips their co workers receive they'll do better next time.
If not I'll request a different server next time and they'll eventually be weeded out.
They don't care. The other 9 tables paid 20% and he'll be there tomorrow because you never complained to management.

Most people dont tip 20%. And the crappy waiter will leave to find a different type of work since they'll get shit for a tip.

As someone who worked as a bartender you can take it to the bank...if you're a people person you'll make decent money in the service industry.
Maybe. But still no excuse for expecting me to pay $10 a plate just to take an order and bring my dish.

I see your point.
But when The Wife and I go out we want exceptional service and we get it by tipping well.
Seriously,these people fall all over themselves to make us happy and we show our appreciation by treating them well and tipping well.
Hell,the bartender at my favorite Cajun joint is always asking if I want to go out and party with him and his buds...i'm 52 and he's in his mid 20's.
Being generous when you can can open a lot of doors you may not have thought were available.

I think the service you get is more because you frequent the same places and are well known for generous tipping....then yes you will get exceptional service because they know you tip well. But do you get the same level of service in a new establishment where you are an 'unknown'? :dunno:

Hubs tips well regardless of service, unless it's really bad, but will still leave a couple of bucks. I don't & the amount of tip depends on the service given. Bad service &/or bad attitude gets nothing. Reasonable service &/or reasonable attitude will get a reasonable tip and exceptional service & attitude receives exceptional tipping.
I agree that waitpersons already receive basic wages for work performed and tips are extra. I did work was a waitress for a short time right out of high school and agree it's a hard job to do. There have been times I wished I could have continued with it because they can make good money & everyday is payday and the better paying jobs are cocktail waitresses.
One of the best waitresses I've ever dealt with was several years ago at a Denny's. There was 10 of us including little kids, everyone was ordering at the same time, changing their minds, wanting substitutions, etc and the waitress remembered every detail and knew exactly who got what without asking, even the extra sides and did it all with a smile & a few jokes and a timely manner. She earned a huge tip, I think I paid about half of the total bill cause I was that impressed. She even remembered who ordered decaf vs regular coffee. The place wasn't overly busy but definitely not empty either, so we weren't the only ones in there.

I've also been to a restaurant where the waiter couldn't even get the order right for only 2 of us and there was only 2 other tables of customers...but that guy had some 'woman-hating' issues & did it on purpose. He was just lucky I didn't throw the glass of water on him. :mad:

They don't care. The other 9 tables paid 20% and he'll be there tomorrow because you never complained to management.

Most people dont tip 20%. And the crappy waiter will leave to find a different type of work since they'll get shit for a tip.

As someone who worked as a bartender you can take it to the bank...if you're a people person you'll make decent money in the service industry.
Maybe. But still no excuse for expecting me to pay $10 a plate just to take an order and bring my dish.

I see your point.
But when The Wife and I go out we want exceptional service and we get it by tipping well.
Seriously,these people fall all over themselves to make us happy and we show our appreciation by treating them well and tipping well.
Hell,the bartender at my favorite Cajun joint is always asking if I want to go out and party with him and his buds...i'm 52 and he's in his mid 20's.
Being generous when you can can open a lot of doors you may not have thought were available.
If you think you get good service because of the amount of tipping, then that is poor service.

When I first got married we didn't have much extra money. And when we did go out for something like a birthday or anniversary we did not have money to throw around. What you are saying is it is OK for us to get crappy service because we are new customers or returning customers who tipped at basic levels. That's unacceptable.

If you work harder you deserve a bigger tip.
And how would they know you were a crappy tipper if you'd never been there before?
Paying more for better service is common throughout all industries. For example,you'll pay more for a certified GE repairman than you will some local yokel who says he'll fix anything.
Why? Because they put in the extra effort to become certified hence they charge more.
Just like the waitress who goes the extra mile deserves a bigger tip.
You just said you get better service because you tip more.
Which leaves everyone else with lesser service.

I disagree.
Crappy waiters can expect five percent from me.
If they have half a brain and can connect the higher tips their co workers receive they'll do better next time.
If not I'll request a different server next time and they'll eventually be weeded out.

I see your point.

I think the service you get is more because you frequent the same places and are well known for generous tipping....then yes you will get exceptional service because they know you tip well. But do you get the same level of service in a new establishment where you are an 'unknown'? :dunno:

Hubs tips well regardless of service, unless it's really bad, but will still leave a couple of bucks. I don't & the amount of tip depends on the service given. Bad service &/or bad attitude gets nothing. Reasonable service &/or reasonable attitude will get a reasonable tip and exceptional service & attitude receives exceptional tipping.
I agree that waitpersons already receive basic wages for work performed and tips are extra. I did work was a waitress for a short time right out of high school and agree it's a hard job to do. There have been times I wished I could have continued with it because they can make good money & everyday is payday and the better paying jobs are cocktail waitresses.
One of the best waitresses I've ever dealt with was several years ago at a Denny's. There was 10 of us including little kids, everyone was ordering at the same time, changing their minds, wanting substitutions, etc and the waitress remembered every detail and knew exactly who got what without asking, even the extra sides and did it all with a smile & a few jokes and a timely manner. She earned a huge tip, I think I paid about half of the total bill cause I was that impressed. She even remembered who ordered decaf vs regular coffee. The place wasn't overly busy but definitely not empty either, so we weren't the only ones in there.

I've also been to a restaurant where the waiter couldn't even get the order right for only 2 of us and there was only 2 other tables of customers...but that guy had some 'woman-hating' issues & did it on purpose. He was just lucky I didn't throw the glass of water on him. :mad:

Well of course we get great service when we go to our regular places.
I've found that most decent restaurants have pretty good waiters and you're going to get good service whether it's your first time or not.
If I do find a place that has consistently bad service we just dont go there anymore.

I see your point.
If you think you get good service because of the amount of tipping, then that is poor service.

When I first got married we didn't have much extra money. And when we did go out for something like a birthday or anniversary we did not have money to throw around. What you are saying is it is OK for us to get crappy service because we are new customers or returning customers who tipped at basic levels. That's unacceptable.

And how would they know you were a crappy tipper if you'd never been there before?
Paying more for better service is common throughout all industries. For example,you'll pay more for a certified GE repairman than you will some local yokel who says he'll fix anything.
Why? Because they put in the extra effort to become certified hence they charge more.

I have seen that....the bigger tippers getting better service than those that don't tip as well....and that's the mistake of the wait staff. Level of service should be the same across the board wherever you go, but many times it isn't

I see your point.

I have seen that....the bigger tippers getting better service than those that don't tip as well....and that's the mistake of the wait staff. Level of service should be the same across the board wherever you go, but many times it isn't

Getting better service because you tip well doesnt mean those that tip less get crappy service they just dont get the royal treatment.
You pay more to fly first class than coach,should those flying coach get the same service as the first class passengers?

The only difference here is the customer pays the employee rather than the company.

I see your point.

Getting better service because you tip well doesnt mean those that tip less get crappy service they just dont get the royal treatment.
You pay more to fly first class than coach,should those flying coach get the same service as the first class passengers?

The only difference here is the customer pays the employee rather than the company.
You argue against yourself.

I see your point.

Agreed. Watching the table next to you get their glass of wine filled more than yours only creates bad will for everyone around.

I see your point.

Sort of.......There is no established differences between first class & coach in a restaurant. Of course first class should get better options & service, they pay for it in the cost of the ticket and is a known.

You argue against yourself.

Not at all.

Sort of.......There is no established differences between first class & coach in a restaurant. Of course first class should get better options & service, they pay for it in the cost of the ticket and is a known.

It's also a known that if you tip well you get better service.
Obviously crappy service shouldnt be tolerated under any circumstances and you can show that displeasure by leaving a buck under your dripping water glass.

they just dont get the royal treatment.

But that's just it......and it's more of an unwritten rule of 'customer service'.......everyone in a restaurant should get seated, orders taken, food brought and follow ups all in a timely and friendly manner...no matter what. To neglect certain customers just because they may not tip as well, is like shooting yourself in the foot and the waitperson may be losing out on better tips because of it. The restaurant may also lose potential business for lack of referrals based on lack of service.

they just dont get the royal treatment.

But that's just it......and it's more of an unwritten rule of 'customer service'.......everyone in a restaurant should get seated, orders taken, food brought and follow ups all in a timely and friendly manner...no matter what. To neglect certain customers just because they may not tip as well, is like shooting yourself in the foot and the waitperson may be losing out on better tips because of it. The restaurant may also lose potential business for lack of referrals based on lack of service.

Like I just said...crappy service shouldnt be tolerated under any circumstance and those who get complaints will soon find themselves out of a job,as it should be.
But I believe good service should be rewarded. Just like in any other business.

Obviously crappy service shouldnt be tolerated under any circumstances and you can show that displeasure by leaving a buck under your dripping water glass.

Agreed about crappy service getting no tip........but all the tipping comes after the service and in most cases, the staff don't know who has the fatter & more generous wallet.......unless it's regular customers. So in many cases, the level of service is based on initial appearances and that isn't always a good indicator

Agreed about crappy service getting no tip........but all the tipping comes after the service and in most cases, the staff don't know who has the fatter & more generous wallet.......unless it's regular customers. So in many cases, the level of service is based on initial appearances and that isn't always a good indicator

Thats a risk you take when you become a waiter.

And while appearances can be an indicator of who might tip well it's hardly set in stone.
I regularly go out to eat in shorts and flip flops if the dress code allows.

And while appearances can be an indicator of who might tip well it's hardly set in stone.

So if you went to a new place and nobody knew you and you only got mediocre service (not bad, but not great either) and the table across from you was getting the 'royal' treatment and you weren't........would you still be as generous???? And I'm talking about not telling the staff you're a great tipper for great service?

So if you went to a new place and nobody knew you and you only got mediocre service (not bad, but not great either) and the table across from you was getting the 'royal' treatment and you weren't........would you still be as generous???? And I'm talking about not telling the staff you're a great tipper for great service?

If I get decent service I still tip 15%.

And just like the waiter doesnt know who is a good tipper in advance,I dont know if they're a good waiter in advance.

That's a feeling out process that you have to go through every time you pay for a service for the first time,no business is immune.

I tip at bars for faster service.
I worked in the food industry so i usually tip real good. If they dont do good, i wont tip at all. I also dont hold back tips for waiters if the food wasnt cooked correctly.

First, let me say I have zero desire to be a waiter. I don't think I could do what they do for a living.

Clearly, because you also have zero clue what you're talking about. Making a killing?

How Much Do Waiters Really Earn in Tips?

They need to work in the bar industry if they want to make any real money.
It doesnt hurt to be easy on the eyes either.
If you got a good personality, and dont be lazy, bartenders can make a KILLING.
ME and the wife went gatlinburg last fall. We went to one of the bars downtown. We chatted with the bartender for a while. Someone ordered one of those oyster shots and he overheard me the wife talking about how gross it looked. He offered us both one. Wife refused and i took it. Wasnt that bad.. anyways, i ended up leaving him twenty five bucks because he kept our glasses full and had EXCELLENT service. Of course, i was pretty buzzed. But that is why they can make so much money! lol

Forum List

Back