Time to take the unemployed off the teets.

Dirty coal burners, if you believe there is such a thing as clean energy you should prove it, if you can believe in clean energy you should believe we can make clean coal energy.

If Los Angeles is going to have Clean Energy they should be required to have the coal plant that provides the energy to make the hundreds of thousands of tons of fiberglass, cement, steel, copper, magnesium, aluminum, used to make your Clean Energy.

The energy in coal is ancient sunlight, and it's running out. Oil - Same thing. Even if your a climate change denier, you should still be concerned about what happens to the global economy - And food supply - When we push beyond peak of both.

Than you should be concerned about green energy that uses Oil disproportionate to the energy produced. You ever consider the worlds largest Solar Power plant uses the worlds largest amount of natural resources to build.

Energy companies have a long history of research investment. They should be able to research technologies that are the most promising not the most mandated.

If Los Angeles mandates green energy, they should build the coal burning power plants that supply the power to the plants that manufacture Polycrystalline silicon, from what I understand, Green Energy is unable to provide the large amount of power required.

If you think we are running out of oil and coal why use oil and coal at a faster rate producing Polycrystalline silicon for solar panels, use the energy directly, it makes no sense to burn coal in china and marvel at how clean the end product is or be astonished that it produces a little electricity when you used a lot to produce it.

If mandated, they become most profitable, not?

I understand what you're saying. Yes, there's a reasonable chance that markets will eventually solve this problem on their own. But they don't seem to be in any terrible rush to do so as long as FF's continue to be just so damn profitable.

I'm not saying solar is automatically the answer, nor that it doesn't take a lot of energy to produce them. But it does appear from various sources that the energy payback is 1-7 years for a solar panel. In other words, after 1-7 years (depending on who you ask) you've generated the energy you expended on building the panel; Everything beyond that is found energy. Life expectancy of the panel 20-30 years.

It's a little like buying a hybrid vehicle; sure you spend the extra money up front, but ultimately you save money due to the lower fuel consumption. I suspect where we part ways on the issue is whether or not the government should incentivise either scenario, and I believe it should.

Sure things are bad, but there are jobs and people are not taking them. People feel they can sit home on their butts, click the remote control and a job will come through their doorway.

I was watching a tv show on the unemployed, and they are talking about all the college grads out of work. My thought is, 10-20 of you get together and start your own business. What they hell is wrong with these people?

And many people won't accept certain jobs, because they might have to move. Its, we can't move because we grew up here, our kids go to school here, the factory will be calling me back anyday, or some other excuse. People have to go where the work is, even if it is China or Japan. It is the global economy everybody wants until they go job seeking.

Cut them off, I need a few more foreclosures before things get better.

Unemployment is set to expire at the end of November, marking the end 125 weeks of benefits for over 2 million American workers.

Conti argued that unemployment benefits are "deeply stimulative" when they aren't offset, they're the "best economic stimulus we have by a long shot."

Time running out on unemployment extension as Congress returns - The Hill's On The Money
Yesterday's (SUNDAY) paper had a total of 10 jobs for the whole Delmarva area. It used to have about 4 or 5 pages of jobs listed on Sunday.

As far as opening their own business---are you willing to invest in one of these ventures? Where do they get startup funds?

For the record and per our conversation yesterday, I was not disputing your statement about there not being any jobs out there, rather just stating that the few that are out there are not being advertised in the papers.

Immie

Dang WPA jobs.
Where would southern CA and Las Vegas be without WPA projects.
WPA projects also helped us win WW2. Hydroeletric projects enabled us to make aluminum for airplanes in large quantities and also powered the equipment that refined ruanium for the bombs.

In Sept 2010, there were 2,929,000 job openings in the US. There were 14,843,000 unemployed. It's ridiculous to think that even if there was a good local match between the job openings and the unemployed, that the remaining 11,914,000 could all just start their own successful small businesses, especially considering small business failure rates.

Yesterday's (SUNDAY) paper had a total of 10 jobs for the whole Delmarva area. It used to have about 4 or 5 pages of jobs listed on Sunday.

As far as opening their own business---are you willing to invest in one of these ventures? Where do they get startup funds?

Most job offers have gone the way of internet posting sites such as craigslist. They are free and offer the added benefit of being able to post a job offering, use an anonymous email address to collect resumes and applications; thus avoiding the annoying telephone calls from dozens of unqualified individuals.

Unfortunately for job searchers they also allow for thousands upon thousands of responders meaning that the chances of having your resume seen let alone read are slimmer than they used to be.

Immie
Have you looked at the jobs on craigslist?? The majority are scams. Very few are legitimate jobs. Yes, to someone who isn't looking for work it appears that there are countless jobs out there.

Just try answering some of them--send a test email and you'll get an automated response asking you to complete a form for a credit check or something similar. Or, do a google check of the person or email address--you'll find that they are offering the same job throughout the US.

The paper and craigslist??

Try Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com

The energy in coal is ancient sunlight, and it's running out. Oil - Same thing. Even if your a climate change denier, you should still be concerned about what happens to the global economy - And food supply - When we push beyond peak of both.

Than you should be concerned about green energy that uses Oil disproportionate to the energy produced. You ever consider the worlds largest Solar Power plant uses the worlds largest amount of natural resources to build.

Energy companies have a long history of research investment. They should be able to research technologies that are the most promising not the most mandated.

If Los Angeles mandates green energy, they should build the coal burning power plants that supply the power to the plants that manufacture Polycrystalline silicon, from what I understand, Green Energy is unable to provide the large amount of power required.

If you think we are running out of oil and coal why use oil and coal at a faster rate producing Polycrystalline silicon for solar panels, use the energy directly, it makes no sense to burn coal in china and marvel at how clean the end product is or be astonished that it produces a little electricity when you used a lot to produce it.

If mandated, they become most profitable, not?

I understand what you're saying. Yes, there's a reasonable chance that markets will eventually solve this problem on their own. But they don't seem to be in any terrible rush to do so as long as FF's continue to be just so damn profitable.

I'm not saying solar is automatically the answer, nor that it doesn't take a lot of energy to produce them. But it does appear from various sources that the energy payback is 1-7 years for a solar panel. In other words, after 1-7 years (depending on who you ask) you've generated the energy you expended on building the panel; Everything beyond that is found energy. Life expectancy of the panel 20-30 years.

It's a little like buying a hybrid vehicle; sure you spend the extra money up front, but ultimately you save money due to the lower fuel consumption. I suspect where we part ways on the issue is whether or not the government should incentivise either scenario, and I believe it should.

For me, solar energy is more work, as in I work in power plants so they generate more work for me. Same goes for geothermal, I have made a lot of money off geothermal plants.

Basically my biggest beef with Solar is that it does not produce enough power to sustain any industry. If the solution to our problems is marketed as green energy yet green energy cannot sustain itself, at best its the most expensive experiment in history/

Getting people off the government tit should include industry, the government is doing more than offering an incentive, they are financing the entire infrastructure of the industry with most the money going to workers overseas. The government is making people rich with my money, borrowed money, the government is mandating "tariffs" be paid by me in the form of my electric bill, guarantees given to Green Energy power plants, guarantees of profit.

My tax money, a higher electric bill mandated by law, a company that is not profitable on its own now gets rich through government mandates and laws, laws governing my electric bill.

Get the boot of the government off my throat and rip their dirty hands off my tit as they hold me while some new green energy start up sucks on my tits.

Unemployment in California is 450$ week for the high wage earners. Still not enough to pay back the money the government took.

In Sept 2010, there were 2,929,000 job openings in the US. There were 14,843,000 unemployed. It's ridiculous to think that even if there was a good local match between the job openings and the unemployed, that the remaining 11,914,000 could all just start their own successful small businesses, especially considering small business failure rates.

Would you by any chance have a link to your figures?

The reason I ask is that I am suspect of the 2.9 million job openings figure you used. I wonder where that number comes from. If it is postings on the internet... well, like judyd said earlier, there are a heck of a lot of scams running out there that are seeking personal information rather than employees.

Immie

Most job offers have gone the way of internet posting sites such as craigslist. They are free and offer the added benefit of being able to post a job offering, use an anonymous email address to collect resumes and applications; thus avoiding the annoying telephone calls from dozens of unqualified individuals.

Unfortunately for job searchers they also allow for thousands upon thousands of responders meaning that the chances of having your resume seen let alone read are slimmer than they used to be.

Immie
Have you looked at the jobs on craigslist?? The majority are scams. Very few are legitimate jobs. Yes, to someone who isn't looking for work it appears that there are countless jobs out there.

Just try answering some of them--send a test email and you'll get an automated response asking you to complete a form for a credit check or something similar. Or, do a google check of the person or email address--you'll find that they are offering the same job throughout the US.

I have. But, Indeed seems to miss a lot of jobs out there and I find myself having to use craigslist, careerbuilder and monster as well, but indeed simply pulls from the three of them so I quit using indeed all together.

Immie

All the unemployed should report to the border. And build us a fence. I'd be eternally grateful. A very high, high voltage fence.

Immie

Oh please! As if I haven't??? I know that site quite well, and also Monster and CareerBuilder--which has become a playground for scams. I have also used the state job board.

One problem with internet postings is that there are so many people who are desperate for work they are applying to everything whether they are qualified or not. So the hiring company gets a deluge of 300 some applications, and legitimate applicants can get lost in the shuffle.

Since I am an older worker it is that much harder. I have taken myself off of sites like classmates.com and reunion, because I found when I did a search of my name my graduation dates would pop up. We're not destitute--my husband is working and we sold a home so we're down to one now. I do want to find a job, though, because before I lost my job we each carried health insurance as singles, which is much more affordable than two people on one policy.

Finally, I'm not on unemployment, so you're not paying for me!

There's nobody who will pay $20 for someone to deliver groceries to them. That's an asinine idea.

There's nobody who will pay $20 for someone to deliver groceries to them. That's an asinine idea.

I agree. More and more people are doing things for themselves, i.e. yard work, simple home repairs, oil changes, etc. If someone is elderly and needs help with groceries, there are volunteer services to help them.

The reason I ask is that I am suspect of the 2.9 million job openings figure you used. I wonder where that number comes from. If it is postings on the internet... well, like judyd said earlier, there are a heck of a lot of scams running out there that are seeking personal information rather than employees.

Immie

Job Openings come from the Bureau of Labor Statistics Job Openings Labor Turnover Survey. It's a survey of establishments and to count as a job opening
A job opening requires that: 1) a specific position exists and there is work available for that position, 2) work could start within 30 days regardless of whether a suitable candidate is found, and 3) the employer is actively recruiting from outside the establishment to fill the position. Included are full-time, part-time, permanent, short-term, and seasonal openings. Active recruiting means that the establishment is taking steps to fill a position by advertising in newspapers or on the Internet, posting help-wanted signs, accepting applications, or using other similar methods.

Jobs to be filled only by internal transfers, promotions, demotions, or recall from layoffs are excluded. Also excluded are jobs with start dates more than 30 days in the future, jobs for which employees have been hired but have not yet reported for work, and jobs to be filled by employees of temporary help agencies, employee leasing companies, outside contractors, or consultants.
So definitely no scams.

Unemployment also comes from BLS Employment Situation and includes all unemployed (meaning people actively looking for work), not just those receiving benefits.

Last edited:

There are abundant small business opportunities for micro businesses. Besides aren't there 6 million illegal aliens already making a living in via US jobs?

All you need is a bucket, a squeegie, soap and water and you can find work as a window washer. It isn't glamorous but it will put food on your starving kids.

Immie
Yeah...More non-traceable numbers.

I agree. More and more people are doing things for themselves, i.e. yard work, simple home repairs, oil changes, etc. If someone is elderly and needs help with groceries, there are volunteer services to help them.
Wanna bet? We are a busy society. Two income families would leap at the opportunity to have someone bring them stuff if they could find a reliable service such as this.
Those that pooh pooh ideas are stuck in a rut. They believe the only way to earn a living is to go to someone else to perform a service and receive that "steady paycheck".
These are the same people who scream bloody murder about those who use finances to earn their income. "That's not work", they say.

go look at your local papers classifieds...there are jobs....it isn't like the "pages" are blank...

people are lazy and their egos get in the way...

WE ought to be creating WPA type jobs.

Then at least people would be doing something productive for the money AND the infrastructure of this nation would get better.

Go the local part or state park where you live.

In all likelihood that park or at least some of the features in that park were probably created by WPA workers back in the 1930s.

Is it inexcusable that in this nation people who WANT to work cannot find it.

Blaming the millions of unemployed for not being able to find a job when there's ten people look for work for every job that is out there is just plain ignorant.

If you doubt that people are looking for work try this

PUT AN AD IN THE PAPER.

You'll get hundreds of applicants for that job no matter badly it pays or how hard the work.

Pretending that people just don't want to work may be a comforting rationalization, but that's all it is.

A rationalization designed to blame your neighbors for the state of the economy.

I have shown several reasons why the unemployed won't take jobs. All those calls are just a mandatory requirement, they have to show where they applied for work in order to get benefits.

There are a few truths

1.The job you want might be on the opposite end of America or overseas, but there is a job.

2.People refuse to take jobs requiring relocation.

3.There are plenty of business opportunities to start your own business in this down turned society, including being an employment agent and matching people to jobs.

Forum List

Back