Time to take the unemployed off the teets.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by shintao, Nov 15, 2010.

1. shintao

shintao Take Down ~ Tap Out

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Sure things are bad, but there are jobs and people are not taking them. People feel they can sit home on their butts, click the remote control and a job will come through their doorway.

I was watching a tv show on the unemployed, and they are talking about all the college grads out of work. My thought is, 10-20 of you get together and start your own business. What they hell is wrong with these people?

And many people won't accept certain jobs, because they might have to move. Its, we can't move because we grew up here, our kids go to school here, the factory will be calling me back anyday, or some other excuse. People have to go where the work is, even if it is China or Japan. It is the global economy everybody wants until they go job seeking.

Cut them off, I need a few more foreclosures before things get better.

Unemployment is set to expire at the end of November, marking the end 125 weeks of benefits for over 2 million American workers.

"Conti argued that unemployment benefits are "deeply stimulative" when they aren't offset, they're the "best economic stimulus we have by a long shot."

Time running out on unemployment extension as Congress returns - The Hill's On The Money

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  2. judyd

judyd Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Yesterday's (SUNDAY) paper had a total of 10 jobs for the whole Delmarva area. It used to have about 4 or 5 pages of jobs listed on Sunday.

As far as opening their own business---are you willing to invest in one of these ventures? Where do they get startup funds?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. shintao

shintao Take Down ~ Tap Out

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +339
    It depends on what you can do and what the 10 jobs were.

Here are about 30 jobs in a snow bank in Alaska - http://classifieds.newsminer.com/search/results.php?q=employment&c=2&and=no&sort= Not to mention, once a resident Alaska pays you a gravy check from oil royalities to make life eaiser.

20 people can put in 500-1000. a piece. Banks will loan money. Maybe you don't need start up funds. I was showing yesterday how to start a business with minimal cash and no employees. This isn't rocket science. If 20 people all share in a business they are not employees, they are owners, so they pay no employee benefits, etc. They are more like private contractors. The SBA will help people if they are willing to help themselves.

4. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    Most job offers have gone the way of internet posting sites such as craigslist. They are free and offer the added benefit of being able to post a job offering, use an anonymous email address to collect resumes and applications; thus avoiding the annoying telephone calls from dozens of unqualified individuals.

Unfortunately for job searchers they also allow for thousands upon thousands of responders meaning that the chances of having your resume seen let alone read are slimmer than they used to be.

Immie

5. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Yeah start your own business , and fail because without enough other people having jobs who will buy your service/product?

We are in a viscious downward spiral and have not reached bottom yet.

6. judyd

judyd Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Have you looked at the jobs on craigslist?? The majority are scams. Very few are legitimate jobs. Yes, to someone who isn't looking for work it appears that there are countless jobs out there.

Just try answering some of them--send a test email and you'll get an automated response asking you to complete a form for a credit check or something similar. Or, do a google check of the person or email address--you'll find that they are offering the same job throughout the US.

7. loosecannon

loosecannon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +264
    I hate to be a hardass, but unemployment IS an insurance and nobody bargained for 125 weeks of coverage.

The nation is falling off a cliff, families are gonna have to learn how to create their own employment if they can't find a real job. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that.

8. loosecannon

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Micro loans? There are guys in my town who have made a living for decades with a few hundred dollars worth of tools and a bicycle. Not every business has to be a yuppy friendly dream occupation. When people get hungry they learn how to really work.

9. loosecannon

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +264
    A lot of people can't find work. I know that. But a whole lot more people have not begun to try. During the great depression people migrated across the country living like animals looking for a job that would simply pay them with 3 squares a day. And they would work like dogs for that, and be as honest and trustworthy as the day is long.

What people have to realize is that their previous standard of living is never coming back. They are gonna have to settle for less, maybe a LOT less.

But they aren't gonna come to terms with that until we stop paying them to be idle.

Sink or swim.

10. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +355
    I would support tapering the benefits off gradually over the time they are offered. Walmart is hiring. My buddy got a job at a different big box store last year and is making decent money now as one of the managers.

Big government probably needs to keep our bottom 20% with some level of hope. Otherwise we will end up like Mexico. The parks departments of the world should stop hiring real qualified people and turn themselves into the welfare department.

Nothing drastic. A hiring freeze on real applicants would be fine. Start replacing with random people who are filing unemployment claims. Something akin to want benefits, come mow our highways. Then the folks who used to take these hardworking jobs as careers would be forced into the public sector where their labor amounts to something.