Time to Bust Up Teacher Unions

Lots and lots and tons of unpaid hours.

It's not just common it's expected that teachers will work far more hours than they are being paid for in their contracts. Grading things in their free time, dealing with stupid parents in their free time, a dozen other things.

Colorado Teachers' Union Protest Against DeVos Turns Vulgar

A rally organized by the largest teachers union in Colorado protesting a visit by Education Secretary Betsy DeVos became vulgar as some of the demonstrators held signs depicting a hand giving a middle finger and another sign that said, "Report Card – Betsy DeVos F U."

View attachment 266751

Bust them up for the sake of the children.
Why? You angry because you were a failure in school?

You are the counterpart of brainless Republicans that spew meaningless bullshit all over these boards. Just go away.

For a number of years I worked 6 days a week 52 weeks a year. In one month I worked over 400 hours.

On a fixed salary.

People on a fixed salary get screwed big time. edit: Salaried People get no help from The Department of Labor.
In the private sector. Teachers are on salary but get overtime pay.
Private sector pay sucks
Private sector pay sucks
I grew up in poverty and retired in my 50’s.
Can I give you some trophy points?

Show me any worker that works 5 days a week and 52 weeks a year
For a number of years I worked 6 days a week 52 weeks a year. In one month I worked over 400 hours.

On a fixed salary.

We know, we know. You're just personally bitter about it.

You know what kills me about all the people who are personally bitter about teachers getting "five months off"? It was NO SECRET. It's not like no one knows about "summers off" and oh SURPRISE!! it's just an unexpected bonus you get when you graduate college. No, you go into it knowing you will get no big raises, no bonuses, no nice "perks" along the way, no trips, no incentives, no huge promotions. But you will get "summers off" and maybe a decent pension and not so much else anymore.

SO cry me a river. You had a tough job and your kids didn't like to be homeschooled so you cried to them about how bad the public schools are. We know, Weatherman. We know.
California teachers get 5 months off. I had no idea your state overworks teachers by making them work 32 weeks a year, 38.5 hours a week.

They do not get paid for that time off, and I would like to see this 5 months you are lying about. There are 196 days in most teacher contracts in my state. That's well over 6 months right there, so we know you are lying! How many months of weekends occur in a year? That would be 3 more months. We're up to 9 months and we haven't even touched the holidays.

Your math sucks and you lie. That is all you have going for you.

I already counted up all the weeks off I get per year, including Christmas, Easter and half weeks for various holidays. It added up to 14 weeks. WM wanted to count federal holidays of course, as if most professional employees don't have those off, plus getting to "leave early" or "come in late" around holidays--teachers rarely if ever get that flexibility.
Poor teacher whines SHE ONLY GETS FOURTEEN WEEKS OFF A YEAR.

That’s the thing about teachers. Clueless about the real world.

On a fixed salary.

You know what kills me about all the people who are personally bitter about teachers getting "five months off"? It was NO SECRET. It's not like no one knows about "summers off" and oh SURPRISE!! it's just an unexpected bonus you get when you graduate college. No, you go into it knowing you will get no big raises, no bonuses, no nice "perks" along the way, no trips, no incentives, no huge promotions. But you will get "summers off" and maybe a decent pension and not so much else anymore.

SO cry me a river. You had a tough job and your kids didn't like to be homeschooled so you cried to them about how bad the public schools are. We know, Weatherman. We know.
California teachers get 5 months off. I had no idea your state overworks teachers by making them work 32 weeks a year, 38.5 hours a week.

They do not get paid for that time off, and I would like to see this 5 months you are lying about. There are 196 days in most teacher contracts in my state. That's well over 6 months right there, so we know you are lying! How many months of weekends occur in a year? That would be 3 more months. We're up to 9 months and we haven't even touched the holidays.

I already counted up all the weeks off I get per year, including Christmas, Easter and half weeks for various holidays. It added up to 14 weeks. WM wanted to count federal holidays of course, as if most professional employees don't have those off, plus getting to "leave early" or "come in late" around holidays--teachers rarely if ever get that flexibility.

That's a brazen lie. I wasn't WHINING about how I only get 14 weeks off a year. I was correcting you because YOU SAID I get five months off a year.

You're animus against public school teachers turns you into a shameless liar

That's a brazen lie. I wasn't WHINING about how I only get 14 weeks off a year. I was correcting you because YOU SAID I get five months off a year.

Oh. Sorry. I stand corrected. You’re satisfied with your compensation.

So...one has to wonder, if teachers have it so great, why you didn't become one.....couldn't cut it?

You've been throttled on this thread. Crawl away in shame

Does anyone wonder why so many people are walking away from teaching when they have to deal with parents like the OP?

Teachers in my district max out at well over 100k a year. In some districts the average pay is over 100k. They were also running a scam of giving them huge raises for their last 3 years, upon which their retirement is based. They pull millions in retirement if they live to average age.

There are teachers that are worth 100k I'm sure, bu there are tens of thousands in Illinois pulling six figure salaries or pensions. For a 9 month a year job, that's ludicrous.

They, and other public sector unions have bankrupted the state.

But "It's all for the children" lol.

Fucking scammers.
Where is your district? What is the cost of living in your district?

Illinois. My high school district is one of the top paying districts in the state and is a very middle class community. For clarity this is the high school I went to, not where I live now.

Average income per household 62,000

Bensenville, IL | Data USA

Average teacher salary 100k+

FENTON HIGH SCHOOL | Salary

That's a suburb of Chicago! Middle class my ass! It is a bedroom community with no real industry or real employment. Your schools are lily white with a very few Hispanics sprinkled in and I would wager they are Spanish descendants, rather than from any other country.

The average income in some of the communities I worked is 1/3 of that! Your property values are what pays for your schools and yours is only twice that of the average teacher's salary.

I had one-third of that city's population in my school EVERY DAY!

Your example is by far an outlier.

He is too stupid to realize that has happened. He will start another thread in a few days and repeat the same lies that have been disproven at least ten times. He is a moron of the highest order!

Teachers in my district max out at well over 100k a year. In some districts the average pay is over 100k. They were also running a scam of giving them huge raises for their last 3 years, upon which their retirement is based. They pull millions in retirement if they live to average age.

There are teachers that are worth 100k I'm sure, bu there are tens of thousands in Illinois pulling six figure salaries or pensions. For a 9 month a year job, that's ludicrous.

They, and other public sector unions have bankrupted the state.

But "It's all for the children" lol.

Fucking scammers.
Where is your district? What is the cost of living in your district?

Illinois. My high school district is one of the top paying districts in the state and is a very middle class community. For clarity this is the high school I went to, not where I live now.

Average income per household 62,000

Bensenville, IL | Data USA

Average teacher salary 100k+

FENTON HIGH SCHOOL | Salary

That's a suburb of Chicago! Middle class my ass! It is a bedroom community with no real industry or real employment. Your schools are lily white with a very few Hispanics sprinkled in and I would wager they are Spanish descendants, rather than from any other country.

The average income in some of the communities I worked is 1/3 of that! Your property values are what pays for your schools and yours is only twice that of the average teacher's salary.

I had one-third of that city's population in my school EVERY DAY!

Your example is by far an outlier.

You could not be more wrong if you tried.

In addition to the fact that i grew up in that town I also posted the average household income, and know that it has a significant latino population. I. Lived. There.

The total minority enrollment in that district is 69%, and 53% of students are economically disadvantaged.

https://www.usnews.com/education/be...h-school-district-100/fenton-high-school-6731

If you think all Chicago suburbs are lily white, rich enclaves it only shows you really don't have a clue what you are talking about. So much for that 'point'

That town sits directly on the western egde of o'hare airport, has a railyard, a large industrial complex of its own and the next town up, Elk Grove Village, houses the largest industrial park in North America. So much for THAT 'point'

And, again, I spent 20 years of my life there. I know exactly what I'm talking about here, bud.

If you'd like to give me a lecture on a particular town's profile and school districts I would strongly advise you not to pick that one. Lol.

Last edited:

Does anyone wonder why so many people are walking away from teaching when they have to deal with parents like the OP?
BS
We had 300 qualified applicants for ONE teacher opening.

Teachers are grossly over compensated.

He is too stupid to realize that has happened. He will start another thread in a few days and repeat the same lies that have been disproven at least ten times. He is a moron of the highest order!
The only thing occurring in this thread is a bunch of whiny teachers crying about being so neglected and ignoring the topic of quality education of children.

ALL Public Sector Unions should be ILLEGAL as they are a huge conflict of interest. They bargain against the very people that pay them, and whom they are there to serve. The People, the Taxpayer. Then they use those tax dollars to solely support Democrat candidates who give them more lucrative contracts. Rinse and repeat. Total SCAM.
If we paid folks what they were worth they wouldn't need unions.

So that explains Union membership is the lowest it's been in over a hundred years..

ALL Public Sector Unions should be ILLEGAL as they are a huge conflict of interest. They bargain against the very people that pay them, and whom they are there to serve. The People, the Taxpayer. Then they use those tax dollars to solely support Democrat candidates who give them more lucrative contracts. Rinse and repeat. Total SCAM.

So that explains Union membership is the lowest it's been in over a hundred years..

Don't be silly.

Which ones have 5 months of vacation a year, tenure and lifetime benefits?

Here is where you said five months a year, Weatherman. Is this how you homeschooled your kids--taught them to say something and then run away from it?
Simple math, so easy a public school teacher can do it. Teachers get an entire season of the calendar, every Federal holiday, 2 weeks for Christmas, a week for Easter, plus ‘flex time’, and sick time they can take at anytime.

Plus teachers don’t have to put in 40 hours a week even.

So you know my calendar better than I do? That's amazing. Really amazing.

You're wrong, of course. My last day this year was June 7th. We go back August 21st. Even including federal holidays--which almost everyone has btw--and 2 weeks at Christmas, and a week at Easter, and two days in Feb and two at Thanksgiving, that's 14 weeks. Not even close to "five months".

My workday is 8-4. So you're wrong there too.

Were you wrong so much when you homeschooled your kids? That's scary.
14 weeks off a year, paid lunch breaks, and can’t get fired if you follow simple rules. And let’s not forget your floating days off. Plus lifetime salary and benefits based upon your last year of pay.

You make my point. You’re like most teachers- no clue to what goes on in the real world.

You've already been wrong about so many things. Was this your family's accuracy rate when you "homeschooled" your kids?

You're wrong about "paid" lunch breaks. I get 30 minutes. Name me another professional, college-education required job where you get 30 minutes to gobble your lunch. And that "lifetime salary and benefits" is NOT your last year and pay, it's a FRACTION of it. In my state, about half.

Wow, you're wrong about so many things.

You still have a smoking lounge?

Don't be silly.

You said it not me.

Lol

Don't be silly.

You said it not me.

Lol

Just what is it you think I said?

Don't be silly.

You said it not me.

Lol

Just what is it you think I said?

You Know it took me like 50 years to figure out people are at different levels of reading comprehension skills, I thought once your over an IQ of 100 everyone is basically the same, it wasn't till I went full bore into the Bible that I realized it wasn't the case.

Forum List

Back