Throw Them ALL Out

I never understood the need for Congresscritters to travel (on our dime) around to other countries. They are not in the Executive.

You probably can't because there isn't one other maybe a few very ACTUAL fact finding trips. The rest are for pure pleasure and self-aggrandizement,

Many of the politically left of center see the 'protests' as between the left and the right, when what may be happening is that there is a growing sense that what we need is a total overhaul of those 'benefitting, not serving' in Congress. This includes a Christopher Dodd and a John Boehner.

Congress Gets an Upgrade - WSJ.com

AUGUST 7, 2009
Congress Gets an Upgrade
$550 Million Slated for Purchase of Eight More Planes as Lawmakers' Travel Soars
By BRODY MULLINS

WASHINGTON -- Congress plans to spend $550 million to buy eight jets, a substantial upgrade to the fleet used by federal officials at a time when lawmakers have criticized the use of corporate jets by companies receiving taxpayer funds.

The purchases will help accommodate growing travel demand by congressional officials. The planes augment a fleet of about two dozen passenger jets maintained by the Air Force for lawmakers, administration officials and military chiefs to fly on government trips in the U.S. and abroad...

This month, for example, 11 separate congressional delegations will swing through Germany. House Minority Leader John Boehner of Ohio is leading five other lawmakers on a trip around the world. Sen. Richard Shelby (R., Ala.) is taking a group of senators and their spouses to Europe for three weeks.

A spokesman for Mr. Boehner said he couldn't comment on the trip for security reasons. A spokeswoman for Mr. Shelby said the same....

Whether it's sweetheart deals or taxpayer paid vacations, cloaked in national security disclaimers, we shouldn't be paying for it.

They all need to go.

Every time I read one of these 'spending bashing' threads I have to snicker. When Cons took over congress from Dems pork earmarks stood at 4,000 a year. When Dems took over from Cons pork earmarks stood at 15,000. Congress has no restraints because we are terrified of the 'other.' If you seriously want to control Congress then I would suggest a centerist third party with a central platform of a PAGO (pay as you go) flat tax system that replaces our current personal and payroll tax system. Such a system forces ideologies to be true to themselves. Cons who want tax cuts get them by cutting government. Libs who want bigger government get it by raising taxes. It is the only system that forces accountability and until congress is held accountable they will never act responsibly. Why would you expect them to since you voted for them in the first place because you were terrified of someone else...

Last edited:
There are no effective checks and balances in the government anymore. They have all been loopholed.

Why would we vote for our ideology to control all of government and the judiciary if we want it checked? Our government is the product of how and for whom we vote. It is a direct reflection of ourselves and our society. If people are unhappy with it then I would suggest a look in the mirror because that is where the problem is. Until we can act responsibly with our vote we should stop having the expectation that those we vote for be responsible.

I never understood the need for Congresscritters to travel (on our dime) around to other countries. They are not in the Executive.

You probably can't because there isn't one other maybe a few very ACTUAL fact finding trips. The rest are for pure pleasure and self-aggrandizement,

I don't agree with the 'fact-finding' crap.

They aren't employees of the State Department.

I don't agree with the 'fact-finding' crap.

They aren't employees of the State Department.

I was really bending over to give em the slgihtest benefit of the doubt. I can go with "they are all selfish assholes". np

I SOOOO want to clean house in Washington. I understand concern over losing those who are experienced, but rather than look at experience why don't we look at their track records? If they're representing the people and not scratching the backs of those who throw money their way, we keep them. If they're voting for jets and million dollar field rat studies, we can them. If people aren't upset enough now to vote them out, what WILL it take?

If folks in Washington had to fly commercial, worry about health insurance denials, and wonder if SSN will be around by retirement like we do, they would be a little more concerned with what they support and what they don't.

One more thing... TERM LIMITS FOR EVERYONE!

I SOOOO want to clean house in Washington. I understand concern over losing those who are experienced, but rather than look at experience why don't we look at their track records? If they're representing the people and not scratching the backs of those who throw money their way, we keep them. If they're voting for jets and million dollar field rat studies, we can them. If people aren't upset enough now to vote them out, what WILL it take?

If folks in Washington had to fly commercial, worry about health insurance denials, and wonder if SSN will be around by retirement like we do, they would be a little more concerned with what they support and what they don't.

I certainly understand and am sympthetic to your complaints.

But sadly term limits won't solve it.

In fact term limits merely give the bureaucracy even more power to hornswaggle Congress than they currently have.

In fact term limits merely give the bureaucracy even more power to hornswaggle Congress than they currently have.

Which is even more pathetic, since Congress created and empowered the bureaucracy to begin with. Talk about ungrateful!

why do they need any? if public planes are not safe enough for them...they need to be working on that...not chartering or buying private jets...just where do they need to go that damned bad?
these are your dem congress critters working for you

Nope, it's both Democrats and Republicans. They are all wanting to be our daddy, then leave us at home while they party it up. They are not a good daddy. We are all Cinderella's and Cinderfella's, but there isn't a prince or princesses coming to save us!
that was sarcasm ;)

o how funny...not...

i was getting ready to post this story when i saw the "throw them all out" ....i decided to check your post first...and bingo bango...

o hell yea....(excuse me nun annie, i thought that damn thing would be gone by now) toss the ...fill in really nasty words one cant say in front of nun's....out.....

why in the hell are they traveling..their asses need to be at home listening to what the voters think....or at work...not at play....and why in the hell cant they travel in public planes like us peons? this is just insane while the average person is worried about everything....our congress and government is feathering its own nest....

Feathering its own nest? Wow.

So it was okay for congress to belittle GM and Chrylser for having financial difficulties and utilizing private jets? Why weren't they feathering their own nest as opposed to grossly irresponsible? I mean, this is just insane waste. They can fly commercial just like the 90% of the rest of the country. When we're not in a recession with an ever-increasing deficit, then we'll have them get their own jets. Sound fair?

Which is even more pathetic, since Congress created and empowered the bureaucracy to begin with. Talk about ungrateful!

Not exactly right, GC.

The bureaucracy is there when these POLS take office. Those bureaucrats typically have a far better handle on the intricacies of whatever they're involved with than the Senators and Reps. who are slotted into committees to oversee those bureaucrats, too.

So it takes years (in most cases) before the pols have a clue when they are being manipulated by the bureaucrats.

Now if every four or eight years the pols who have finally gotten a handle on issues are swept from office, that would naturally give the "crats" more power to have their way in their respective fields.

In some cases (particularly foreign affairs) that actually may be a GOOD THING, but certainly yu can see how much more powerful that also makes the crats, right?

these are your dem congress critters working for you

Nope, it's both Democrats and Republicans. They are all wanting to be our daddy, then leave us at home while they party it up. They are not a good daddy. We are all Cinderella's and Cinderfella's, but there isn't a prince or princesses coming to save us!
that was sarcasm ;)

DC we nearly always agree on substance if not how to present the message, but that looked to me like pure partisan post, not sarcasm. Sorry if I read it wrong, but still does.

Not exactly right, GC.

The bureaucracy is there when these POLS take office. Those bureaucrats typically have a far better handle on the intricacies of whatever they're involved with than the Senators and Reps. who are slotted into committees to oversee those bureaucrats, too.

So it takes years (in most cases) before the pols have a clue when they are being manipulated by the bureaucrats.

Now if every four or eight years the pols who have finally gotten a handle on issues are swept from office, that would naturally give the "crats" more power to have their way in their respective fields.

In some cases (particularly foreign affairs) that actually may be a GOOD THING, but certainly yu can see how much more powerful that also makes the crats, right?

I think we're speaking of 2 different things, editec.
I was speaking of the original power and existence of the bureaucracy as an institution, which is basically nothing more than delegated Congressional regulatory authority under the Constitution.
You're speaking of the individual bureaucrats, the "career" men and women, and in that sense you're absolutely correct. Although it shouldn't be that way, and wouldn't be if Congress could just find its collective cajones.

Not exactly right, GC.

I was speaking of the original power and existence of the bureaucracy as an institution, which is basically nothing more than delegated Congressional regulatory authority under the Constitution.
You're speaking of the individual bureaucrats, the "career" men and women, and in that sense you're absolutely correct. Although it shouldn't be that way, and wouldn't be if Congress could just find its collective cajones.

535 People in Congress... They aren't going to Find ANYTHING Collectively.

It's a Nice Thought, but it's little More than Emoting... That I am in Agreement with you about, but Emoting all the same.

:)

peace...

Not exactly right, GC.

It's a Nice Thought, but it's little More than Emoting... That I am in Agreement with you about, but Emoting all the same.

peace...

You have a point here.
Still, it would be nice if things worked the way they were supposed to and the servants actually obeyed the masters who wrote them big fat taxpayer checks, wouldn't it?

peace...

You have a point here.
Still, it would be nice if things worked the way they were supposed to and the servants actually obeyed the masters who wrote them big fat taxpayer checks, wouldn't it?

We are a Realtively Wealthy and Apathetic Society... This Recession will be the Best Oppurtinity for Fixing some of the Problems with this System...

My Guess is that the Recession will End and Most who are Bitching now will get back to it...

I "Hope" I am Wrong and the People will Use this Time to their Advantage.

Not much you and I can do about it but Talk to those we Know.

The "Bums" aren't all going to get "Thrown Out", so we had better be doing some More Realistic things towards REAL "Change"...

peace...

Forum List

Back