Thread: A world in which there are no racists, aka: very fine people

I see people all the time on the internet, saying racist things, having racist attitudes, and then melting when they are called out for being racist.

The most recent discussion I've had involved being told Trump is not a racist. So as far as I can tell? There are no racists. The people saying the racist things, believing the racist lies, are not racists. The tiki-torch dudes? Very fine people. Guy who drove his car into the protesters and killed a woman? Most assuredly not a racist.

So I would love it (you don't hear a note of sarcasm, you hear an entire fucking symphony) if someone would explain to me what a racist is, and why there actually aren't any in the world today.

Thanks in advance.

can't happen to notice that in your list of racists you omitted the Obamas. Eric Holder, BLM, NBPP, NAACP, Maxine, Jesse, Al etc

BTW, what did those tiki torch dudes do other than express their opinions?

oh, I know, they had the wrong opinion

I have a bit to think about. Most of what I've seen are people saying racist shit, and when you call them on it, they have the racist meltdown. So why are they saying racist shit if they aren't racist? Trolling?

It's a fucked up troll tool, if that's the case.
You make a very good point in my opinion. The next question would be what's the point of racist trolling unless as a tool it is used to justify targeting a specific individual or group of people - identified or identifiable by race but also could include ethnicity, national origin or religion.

The next question would be what is the purpose for engaging in this type of behavior and what is the ultimate goal. Because I've encountered those who are not content to keep things online or to restrict their animus to words only. They take their abuse offline and into the real lives of those whom they target and institute adverse actions against the targeted individual(s).

A racist is a person who thinks their race is superior to other races, and that those races are inferior.
This is one definition of racism but there is another
2 a : a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles
b : a political or social system founded on racism

Some of the loudest screaming of 'RACIST!' occurs whenever the topic of institutional racism or the racist origins of the United States is mentioned for the purpose of putting the racism today, in ALL of it's manifestations, into context.

"(you don't hear a note of sarcasm, you hear an entire fucking symphony)" Excellent writing there, by the way.

And correct me if I am wrong, I detect exasperation? I know I am and have not found a single soul one these boards that offers a solution. I don't have on either but I keep trying.
I just decided that freedom of speech has to work both ways, so we're going to have to listen to all the clever arguments that justify racism while racists insist they aren't out to hurt anyone.
The only solution is to show racists that the people they unreasonably hate aren't the monsters they think. That only happens one person at a time.

I need to think about this. My first reaction was "I get it - but then my life isn't on the line.' However, we're not talking about fighting racism at this point in time. On the other hand, - no, wait. I'm going to try to stick to the subject at hand, which is "what does racism mean, by definition, that none of the racists are actually racist."

I see people all the time on the internet, saying racist things, having racist attitudes, and then melting when they are called out for being racist.

The most recent discussion I've had involved being told Trump is not a racist. So as far as I can tell? There are no racists. The people saying the racist things, believing the racist lies, are not racists. The tiki-torch dudes? Very fine people. Guy who drove his car into the protesters and killed a woman? Most assuredly not a racist.

So I would love it (you don't hear a note of sarcasm, you hear an entire fucking symphony) if someone would explain to me what a racist is, and why there actually aren't any in the world today.

Thanks in advance.

can't happen to notice that in your list of racists you omitted the Obamas. Eric Holder, BLM, NBPP, NAACP, Maxine, Jesse, Al etc

They are white supremacists. Are you telling me that white supremacists are not racists?

I have a bit to think about. Most of what I've seen are people saying racist shit, and when you call them on it, they have the racist meltdown. So why are they saying racist shit if they aren't racist? Trolling?

You make a very good point in my opinion. The next question would be what's the point of racist trolling unless as a tool it is used to justify targeting a specific individual or group of people - identified or identifiable by race but also could include ethnicity, national origin or religion.

The next question would be what is the purpose for engaging in this type of behavior and what is the ultimate goal. Because I've encountered those who are not content to keep things online or to restrict their animus to words only. They take their abuse offline and into the real lives of those whom they target and institute adverse actions against the targeted individual(s).

"The next question" - exactly, exactly, exactly. Acts of violence against people of color has risen greatly since Trump started running his mouth during the campaign. "Well, if they are less than human" *he said animals, everybody cheered. He did not say until THE NEXT DAY that he was only talking about that gang.* - - - , we can talk to them however we want. If they are brown, they don't belong here. If they have an accent, they don't belong here. How shall we as a single individual treat someone who we don't think belongs here? They are less than. I don't have to be humane, because they're not human."

And that's just one piece of a huge puzzle. That's the immigrant/refugee piece. Then there is the AA/black piece. Same thinking though. A million excuses for why a kid can get shot coming back from the convenience store, or a young man for using his cell phone in his grandmother's back yard, or a twelve year-old playing in the park. Death by a thousand cuts, only every cut is a death.

My nephew just said this: "Ultimately it’s a continuation of the effort to erase people of color. Deny their humanity and deny that they even exist. “You can’t be racist because there is nothing to be racist about.”"

Good God...yet another frothing at the mouth Trump hater.
Next.... toilet paper appears even whiter after Trump elected.

This just in.... Nabisco is accused of racism. Some say the bitter aftertaste of the black cookie, while the white cream is sweet with no aftertaste is racist.
Trump has been known to have eaten Oreo cookies, thus....he is racist.

This just in.... Nabisco is accused of racism. Some say the bitter aftertaste of the black cookie, while the white cream is sweet with no aftertaste is racist.
Trump has been known to have eaten Oreo cookies, thus....he is racist.

Nope. Move on.

Imagine a world with no fatists. Girls could eat 3 dozen doughnuts a day, and still be considered sexy.

STKgzLl.png

Thanks in advance.

They are white supremacists. Are you telling me that white supremacists are not racists?

they are playing identity politics which is what everyone else is doing. They are not rioting or beating others with different skin colors or ideologies.

it appears that you believe that their brand of identity politics is wrong because they are white.

if so, that makes you a racist and even worse, a hypocrite

Obviously you two aren't capable of discussing the subject at hand. That makes three of you, thus far.

At least.

They say things because it is what they have grown up hearing and assume it is normal and expected behavior. Some don't realize what the true meaning of what they say means, and along with that, they probably don't even care.

"(you don't hear a note of sarcasm, you hear an entire fucking symphony)" Excellent writing there, by the way.

And correct me if I am wrong, I detect exasperation? I know I am and have not found a single soul one these boards that offers a solution. I don't have on either but I keep trying.
I just decided that freedom of speech has to work both ways, so we're going to have to listen to all the clever arguments that justify racism while racists insist they aren't out to hurt anyone.
The only solution is to show racists that the people they unreasonably hate aren't the monsters they think. That only happens one person at a time.

I need to think about this. My first reaction was "I get it - but then my life isn't on the line.' However, we're not talking about fighting racism at this point in time. On the other hand, - no, wait. I'm going to try to stick to the subject at hand, which is "what does racism mean, by definition, that none of the racists are actually racist."

Thank you. I don't have an answer. Wish I did.

I’m frustrated the conspiracy theorists and racist birthers actually got someone not only nominated but elected. I really thought we were better than this.

I’m more concerned about the entire middle class and the poor than I am races. I just don’t like how republicans are using race effectively. Perhaps blacks, gays, Muslims, Mexicans, should all join us when we vote democratic every 2 years.

Instead those non voters have been convinced by the racists that voting doesn’t matter

But first, what is "baseless" can be subjective. It may have complete and sincere merit & validity by the person doing the criticizing. So screaming RACISM at a person whose intent is not based on race only adds to the problem. And I think some who scream RACISM know damn well that the person is not being so. They just see opportunity.

and when was this done?

When was someone called a racist who wasn't really a racist?

Thanks in advance.
Sure.

A racist is a person who thinks their race is superior to other races, and that those races are inferior.

Conversely, a racist is not a person who criticizes another whose skin color or ethnicity happens to be different from theirs.

And there's the problem. Turns out their were many people who were sick of having others scream RACIST at them without merit that they pushed back in 2016, and as a result we now have this guy in the White House. At least, that's one of the primary reasons.

Sadly, we have one end of the political spectrum that has so over-used this important word that it means essentially nothing now. They have given the REAL racists cover as a result. They have tried so hard to cram that word into every conversation that they have damaged their own agenda.

Real racism DOES exist, and many on the Right want to deny it. Unfortunately, they're being helped by those who have wrecked the word.

Except there was merit to the claims. And that's what witchit is talking about. Racists deny racism even as hey express it themselves. Nobody has over used the word. Nobody is cramming it into every conversation. What we have seen is an increase in overt racism and it's being met with resistance. So those who are the racists want to pretend they are being victimized. Nobody has wrecked the word. What you are seeing is increasing real white racism in this country.

I’m frustrated the conspiracy theorists and racist birthers actually got someone not only nominated but elected. I really thought we were better than this.

I’m more concerned about the entire middle class and the poor than I am races. I just don’t like how republicans are using race effectively. Perhaps blacks, gays, Muslims, Mexicans, should all join us when we vote democratic every 2 years.

Instead those non voters have been convinced by the racists that voting doesn’t matter

Stop blaming minorities. What needs to happen is for whites to stop falling for the racist identity politics republicans have used for the past 50 years.

Forum List

Back