Thousands Of Snow Geese Thought Dead After Landing On Toxic Mining Pit

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

Thousands Of Snow Geese Thought Dead After Landing On Toxic Mining Pit | The Huffington Post

12/08/2016 05:38 pm ET | Updated 1 hour ago
Thousands Of Snow Geese Thought Dead After Landing On Toxic Mining Pit | The Huffington Post
Thousands of snow geese are likely dead after touching down on a former open-pit mine filled with acidic water.

Berkeley Pit served as a copper mine in Butte, Montana, from 1955 to 1982, The Washington Post reports. Groundwater began rising in the pit when it stopped operating and people turned off the water pumps from a nearby mine. The 675-acre pit is now 1,780 feet deep and full of toxic water.

Sulfuric acids and heavy metals have created a reddish stew that can be deadly for unwitting animals ― like snow geese ― that might drink it.

wow, time for the epa to do something about this.

No doubt the big gov you so love, failed once again to do it's job. The EPA was probably doing what it does best. Taking bribes.

Do you know what the definition of insanity is?

Thousands of snow geese are likely dead after touching down on a former open-pit mine filled with acidic water.

Berkeley Pit served as a copper mine in Butte, Montana, from 1955 to 1982, The Washington Post reports. Groundwater began rising in the pit when it stopped operating and people turned off the water pumps from a nearby mine. The 675-acre pit is now 1,780 feet deep and full of toxic water.

Sulfuric acids and heavy metals have created a reddish stew that can be deadly for unwitting animals ― like snow geese ― that might drink it.

I agree, thats the perfect use for the EPA. It's to bad they're efforts are to spread out in areas they don't belong, so they can have the resources to watch and plan for things like this. Bad management

No doubt the big gov you so love, failed once again to do it's job. The EPA was probably doing what it does best. Taking bribes.

How about the company that dug that pit? No responsibility there?

yep there should be. It's the EPA responsibility to provide them with guidelines as well. This should really have been preventable

That is a superfund site. Now suppose you tell me why the Congress won't pony up the money to clean up these sites? And why does not the Congress charge the companies that created these sites for their cleanup. Because both the parties dare not face up to the money that the companies can bring to bear under the United Citizens decision.

yep there should be. It's the EPA responsibility to provide them with guidelines as well. This should really have been preventable
Guidelines? Have you any idea of when that pit was dug? Most of it well before the EPA was created.

Guidelines? Have you any idea of when that pit was dug? Most of it well before the EPA was created.

The EPA was formed 30 years before the mining stopped, and then the water started rising later. At some point early on they could have tried pumping the water out. Of course if the mining company is still around they should be liable for fixing the problem. I wouldn't go as far as putting them out of business.

Berkeley Pit - Wikipedia

The Berkeley Pit is a former open pit copper mine located in Butte, Montana, United States. It is one mile long by half a mile wide with an approximate depth of 1,780 feet (540 m). It is filled to a depth of about 900 feet (270 m) with water that is heavily acidic (2.5 pH level), about the acidity of cola or lemon juice.[1] As a result, the pit is laden with heavy metals and dangerous chemicals that leach from the rock, including copper, arsenic, cadmium, zinc, and sulfuric acid.[1]

The mine was opened in 1955 and operated by Anaconda Copper and later by the Atlantic Richfield Company (ARCO), until its closure on Earth Day 1982. When the pit was closed, the water pumps in the nearby Kelley Mine, 3,800 feet below the surface, were turned off, and groundwaterfrom the surrounding aquifers began to slowly fill the pit, rising at about the rate of one foot a month.[1] Since the pit closure in 1982, the level has risen to within 150 feet of the natural groundwater level.

The pit and its water present a serious environmental problem because the water, with dissolved oxygen, allows pyrite and sulfide minerals in the ore and wall rocks to decay, releasing acid. When the pit water level eventually reaches the natural water table, estimated to occur by around 2020, the pit water will reverse flow back into surrounding groundwater, polluting into Silver Bow Creek which is the headwaters of Clark Fork River.[1] The acidic water in the pit carries a heavy load of dissolved heavy metals. In fact, the water contains so much dissolved metal (up to 187 ppm Cu) that some material is mined directly from the water.

In the 1990s plans were devised for solving the groundwater problem. Water flowing into the pit has been diverted to slow the rise of the water level. Plans have been made for more extensive treatment in the future. The Berkeley Pit has since become one of the largest Superfund sites.

The pit is currently a tourist attraction, with an adjacent gift shop. A $2 admission fee is charged to go out on the viewing platform.

EPA History | US EPA

Born in the wake of elevated concern about environmental pollution, EPA was established on December 2, 1970 to consolidate in one agency a variety of federal research, monitoring, standard-setting and enforcement activities to ensure environmental protection. Since its inception, EPA has been working for a cleaner, healthier environment for the American people.

So the EPA did not exist for most of the mines history. Looks to me as if those two companies should provide the money to fix that problem.

The EPA was formed 30 years before the mining stopped, and then the water started rising later. At some point early on they could have tried pumping the water out. Of course if the mining company is still around they should be liable for fixing the problem. I wouldn't go as far as putting them out of business.
No, it was not. EPA was formed in 1970. The mine closed in 1982. That is 12 years. You need to do basic research before posting wrong figures.

No, it was not. EPA was formed in 1970. The mine closed in 1982. That is 12 years. You need to do basic research before posting wrong figures.

My bad, I just looked at the wrong numbers. I stand corrected. Well, they've still had some time up until now regardless

And have they had the money? The answer is no. The Congress will not pony up the money, nor require the responsible companies to pay for the damages they created.

Where we know they actually HAVE died, unlike this maybe they could have died story, without evidence of thousands of bodies.
Yet, the OP approves of windmill turbines shredding birds and solar farms cooking them.

Of course they are responsible and should face legal and possibly criminal consequences. We don't need the EPA for that...dummy.

--------------------------------------------- no big deal , there are million and maybe billions more Matthew !!

Yet, the OP approves of windmill turbines shredding birds and solar farms cooking them.
OK, asshole. Easy to prove what a Goddamn liar you are.

Bird_mortality_chart.jpg

Causes of Bird Mortality - Sibley Guides

Now photovoltaic farms present no danger to the birds, and the solar reflector farms are very few in number and have taken steps to prevent such bird deaths.

Of course they are responsible and should face legal and possibly criminal consequences. We don't need the EPA for that...dummy.
Stupid ass, we need the EPA to prevent future problems like this.

Forum List

Back