Thousands Of Gallons Of Crude Oil Spilled Along California Coast

R

rdean

The leak sent an estimated 21,000 gallons of crude into a culvert that leads to the Pacific Ocean near Goleta.

A half-mile oil slick already formed along the coast by the time a woman reported crude fumes around midday on Tuesday; by the time officials shut down the pipe hours later, the slick expanded to four miles long and up to 50 yards deep.

"Plains deeply regrets this release has occurred and is making every effort to limit its environmental impact," the company said.

The Environmental Defense Center, based in Santa Barbara, said the spill occurred in "a sensitive and treasured environment" and that the impact is "devastating to watch."

---------------------------

Safe.

kalifornians will live through it , he11 , a little leak , it'll be repaired and lessons will be learned and further safeguards will be taken .

The leak sent an estimated 21,000 gallons of crude into a culvert that leads to the Pacific Ocean near Goleta.

A half-mile oil slick already formed along the coast by the time a woman reported crude fumes around midday on Tuesday; by the time officials shut down the pipe hours later, the slick expanded to four miles long and up to 50 yards deep.

"Plains deeply regrets this release has occurred and is making every effort to limit its environmental impact," the company said.

The Environmental Defense Center, based in Santa Barbara, said the spill occurred in "a sensitive and treasured environment" and that the impact is "devastating to watch."

Safe.

I notice that gallons are used when the spill is too small in barrels to make it seem like a disaster. Using the standard reporting method this is a 500 barrel spill.

Which is a 60ft by 10ft by 5ft deep swimming pool.

Safe.
Yup. The safest form of transport there is. Or do you think that safety is measured without comparisons to the alternatives? How much oil is transported by pipeline again?

Safe.
Yup. The safest form of transport there is. Or do you think that safety is measured without comparisons to the alternatives? How much oil is transported by pipeline again?
Lots and Lots all over the place daily as we speak.

yep , and it gets cleaned up . When I was a kid we used to oil dirt roads and rural driveways , didn't hurt me . Change the vehicles oil and dribble it down the dirt road .

Safe.

I notice that gallons are used when the spill is too small in barrels to make it seem like a disaster. Using the standard reporting method this is a 500 barrel spill.

....AND its as Natural as Whale shit....Dont forget everyone. Here I am thinking an Oil Spill was a bad thing. Its a good thing I read this post now I realize the error in seeing a pelican covered in "natural" stuff and his dying was just by...natural causes.

I cant wait to get my hands on some of that oil marinated seafood!

big deal , a dead pelican !! Anyway Stop all the oil going to california , ok with me !!

big deal , a dead pelican !! Anyway Stop all the oil going to california , ok with me !!

Yeah, its funny but whenever an oil spill occurs it only gets on one pelican. You can eat the seafood after you wipe off the petro

Safe.

....AND its as Natural as Whale shit....Dont forget everyone. Here I am thinking an Oil Spill was a bad thing. Its a good thing I read this post now I realize the error in seeing a pelican covered in "natural" stuff and his dying was just by...natural causes.

Nice deflection. How does that relate to the very real point of the size of the oil spill?
Or do you think that size is irrelevant?

Safe.

Nice deflection. How does that relate to the very real point of the size of the oil spill?

No I get it, you want to downplay oil spill. Keep up the hard work

not a big deal , stop the oil to california , ok with me CCaption . Eat more n. atlantic cod or hamburger , tofu or quiche !!

Safe.

No I get it, you want to downplay oil spill. Keep up the hard work
I am sorry - are you going to stop lying through your teeth and make a point or continue to deflect?

Safe.

84,000 quarts spilled!!

Safe.

84,000 quarts spilled!!
80 MILLION mililiters
That is 9.17 QUINTILLION molecules (or 9170000000000000000000000000)

Safe.

There are natural oil seeps all over the Santa Barbara Channel as anyone who has spent a vacation there can tell you... In fact it is the second largest NATURAL oil seep in the world. 500 barrels is nothing compared to the NATURAL daily outflow. You twits are all alike, you get your panties all in a bunch and you don't know the first damn thing about what you're talking!

"Offshore Nuances: Santa Barbara's Problematic Oil Seeps

Santa Barbara's offshore oil problem isn't man-made and therein lies a unique environmental and economic opportunity

Wealthy, seriously-upscale Santa Barbara -- where homes average a million dollars -- sits at the epicenter of the second largest natural offshore oil seep on the planet. Only the Caspian Sea surpasses it.

In the national debate about opening up more of America's offshore regions to oil and gas drilling -- and setting aside the problem of carbon dioxide-induced climate change -- a sixty mile long stretch of coastline that reaches roughly from Ventura Country west north west to San Luis Obispo Country, well south of the Big Sur coast, has some 2,000 active sea floor oil seeps. According to former JPL physicist Bruce Allen, the tectonically active zone is estimated to have leaked some 800 million barrels of oil over the last 10,000 years."

Offshore Nuances Santa Barbara s Problematic Oil Seeps EVWORLD.COM

Forum List

Back