Pipeline spills 176,000 gallons of crude into creek 150 miles from Standing Rock

100% predictable. So the Indians were right.

Pipeline spills 176,000 gallons of crude into creek about 150 miles from Dakota Access protest camp

A pipeline leak has spilled tens of thousands of gallons of crude oil into a North Dakota creek roughly two and a half hours from Cannon Ball, where protesters are camped out in opposition to the Dakota Access pipeline.

Members of the Standing Rock Sioux and other tribes, as well as environmentalists from around the country, have fought the pipeline project on the grounds that it crosses beneath a lake that provides drinking water to native Americans. They say the route beneath Lake Oahe puts the water source in jeopardy and would destroy sacred land.

North Dakota officials estimate more than 176,000 gallons of crude oil leaked from the Belle Fourche Pipeline into the Ash Coulee Creek. State environmental scientist Bill Suess says a landowner discovered the spill on Dec. 5 near the city of Belfield, which is roughly 150 miles from the epicenter of the Dakota Access pipeline protest camps.

This is from 2016 dipshit.

This is also a gathering pipeline, not a transfer pipeline, as stated in the article two different types of pipeline entirely.

I was in the business for thirty years.
The media gets it wrong 60% of the time when it comes to actually identifying the real problem.
It's like the Deep water Horizon spill and the failure of the Blowout preventer.
It was obvious from the get go that was the culprit but it took the media forever to come to the proper conclusion.

I read the investigation report, was the blowout preventer faulty, or did the skewing of the inner pipe from the blowout cause a functioning blowout preventer to fail to shear the pipe and shut off the leak?

From what I heard they failed to use enough of the centering devices before pouring the concrete between the casing and the drill pipe causing it to shift which made the BOP inoperable
So it was a combination of errors.

This is also a gathering pipeline, not a transfer pipeline, as stated in the article two different types of pipeline entirely.

The media gets it wrong 60% of the time when it comes to actually identifying the real problem.
It's like the Deep water Horizon spill and the failure of the Blowout preventer.
It was obvious from the get go that was the culprit but it took the media forever to come to the proper conclusion.

I read the investigation report, was the blowout preventer faulty, or did the skewing of the inner pipe from the blowout cause a functioning blowout preventer to fail to shear the pipe and shut off the leak?

From what I heard they failed to use enough of the centering devices before pouring the concrete between the casing and the drill pipe causing it to shift which made the BOP inoperable

Disasters are always a series of events, most things don't go bad over one item failing.

I also thought that a contributing factor was a bad job on the cement seal of the well prior to removing the drilling mud.

I have a degree in Chemical Engineering, but I do most of my work in Water/Wastewater treatment, so I can figure out things more than a civilian, but less than someone who works in the oil industry.

Fake news

Pipelines never leak

Desperate to post something, anything?

Who said pipelines never leak? Who said trains hauling crude oil and other toxic liquids and gases never crash? No one ever said that tractor trailers never crash while carrying toxic gases and liquids? What about the massive oil tankers?

Which of those methods of transporting liquids and gases results in the most spillage?

Last edited:
Fake news

Pipelines never leak

Desperate to post something, anything?

Who said pipelines never leak? Who said trains hauling crude oil and other toxic liquids and gases never crash? No one ever said that tractor trailers never crash while carrying toxic gases and liquids?

Which of those methods of transporting liquids and gases results in the most spillage?

Eastern Ohio was the birthplace of the long distance oil pipeline, pioneered by John D. Rockefeller. During the 19th Century, Northeastern Ohio was that era's Saudi Arabia of Petroleum. From the the 1860's, on, there were always pipelines. The place is still pristine.

The thought that it isn't safe is absurd

Pipelines have the lowest risk per mile of transport than any other method.
But become much riskier to a source of drinking water when they run directly beneath it.

Really? Which ones?

pipeline%20accidents%20final%20animation1-2-X2.gif

But become much riskier to a source of drinking water when they run directly beneath it.

Really? Which ones?

pipeline%20accidents%20final%20animation1-2-X2.gif
All of them...we're smart enough, aren't we?

There have been oil and gas pipelines in Ohio and Pennsylvania for 150 years, with no ill effects. Its perfectly fine.

Crude is as natural as whale shit. Hilarious.

I think liberals think republicans created oil.

^^^^more facts about the fact that nature dumps more oil into the environment than Exxon, Shell, BP, and Chevron combined.

Lets laugh at liberals again. Why do so many redskins drive cars and use products that depend on petroleum since they are sooooo much wiser about nature than pale face?

LOL at liberals.

Pipeline spills 176,000 gallons of crude into creek about 150 miles from Dakota Access protest camp

A pipeline leak has spilled tens of thousands of gallons of crude oil into a North Dakota creek roughly two and a half hours from Cannon Ball, where protesters are camped out in opposition to the Dakota Access pipeline.

Members of the Standing Rock Sioux and other tribes, as well as environmentalists from around the country, have fought the pipeline project on the grounds that it crosses beneath a lake that provides drinking water to native Americans. They say the route beneath Lake Oahe puts the water source in jeopardy and would destroy sacred land.

North Dakota officials estimate more than 176,000 gallons of crude oil leaked from the Belle Fourche Pipeline into the Ash Coulee Creek. State environmental scientist Bill Suess says a landowner discovered the spill on Dec. 5 near the city of Belfield, which is roughly 150 miles from the epicenter of the Dakota Access pipeline protest camps.
It will be back to pristine condition within 6 months without assistance for Mother Nature. Proof that environmentalism is a hoax.
They think republicans and whites made crude.

LOL

Depends on the source. If the source is a deep aquifer there is a non permeable layer between the surface and the aquifer. Plus it takes decades in some cases for liquids to percolate down to the permeable layer, and in that time even crude oil degrades.

If a spill enters a surface water source, it is more of an immediate impact, but surface spills are easier to clean.

This is from 2016 dipshit.

Disasters are always a series of events, most things don't go bad over one item failing.

I also thought that a contributing factor was a bad job on the cement seal of the well prior to removing the drilling mud.

I have a degree in Chemical Engineering, but I do most of my work in Water/Wastewater treatment, so I can figure out things more than a civilian, but less than someone who works in the oil industry.
but at least you have an idea of what could have happened to cause it. most of us just go DAMN YOU GUYS SUCK!!! and never really understand why, or if our emotions are correctly placed.

most rightfully would be mad at the spill itself; but most unfortunately also blame the first group/person they think of.

Pipelines sometimes fail, but then so do rail cars , trucks and ships on the ocean.

Never heard of the Exxon Valdez? The captain of the ship got drunk as a skunk, wrecked the boat, and the rest was history. Shit happens.

If there were long prison sentences handed out, shit wouldn't happen so frequently.

Maybe. But accident sometimes happen even if the ship's pilot or train's conductor is sober. Ditto with pipelines.

but at least you have an idea of what could have happened to cause it. most of us just go DAMN YOU GUYS SUCK!!! and never really understand why, or if our emotions are correctly placed.

most rightfully would be mad at the spill itself; but most unfortunately also blame the first group/person they think of.

People also have to realize that it is impossible to eliminate failure. The goal is to reduce the chance of occurance, and add layers of support that would also have to fail to lead to a catastrophic failure.

Forum List

Back