Thousands face job loss when part of stimulus expires

Samson

Póg Mo Thóin
Dec 3, 2009
A Higher Plain
I saw this piece in the NYT, decrying the loss of "jobs," because I was curious about what sort of jobs the stimulous had ........well, "STIMULATED."

the article's headline leads one to believe that THOUSANDS have benefitted from part of the $750 B stimulous was given away, right???

a $1 billion New Deal-style program that directly paid the salaries of unemployed people so they could get jobs in government, at nonprofit organizations and at many small businesses

$1,000,000,000/10,000 people = $100,000/person

SHIT!!! I'd like to make $100,000!!!!

So I read the article to see what all these auto-part factory workers in "rural Perry County, Tenn.," were doing for the taxpayer funded $100,000/person program;

There are success stories in Tennessee. After the Armstrong Pie Company hired 12 workers with stimulus money, it was able to expand its production, add delivery routes and increase sales,

:eusa_eh:

PIES?????

$1,200,000 was spent so that 12 people can make more pie.

WTF!!!

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: 007
The nice thing is that none of these jobs really stimulated anything, not creating any economic value at all.

The nice thing is that none of these jobs really stimulated anything, not creating any economic value at all.

What?:confused:

You don't like pie?:(

I like pie like the next guy.
It's that there was no economic necessity to hire those extra workers. They were doing work that could have been done by the existing staff. Thus they didnt add any economic value, just drew a taxpayer financed paycheck. When the subsidiy goes away, so will the job.
Had the gov't done something to change demand, like cut the tax on pies, the extra workers would have been needed because demand was higher. Thus they would have contributed economic value.
Amazing many people do not understand this.

Further, the pie company hired workers, but at the expense of the ship yard in Oregon, which probably fired an equal number.

This level of goofiness makes you think they wanted the system to crash at some point

It certainly at least makes you wonder if the NYT article is a parody piece: Honestly, how can they consider the $750 B stimulous anything but a complete and total failure if the best example they can find for $1 B expenditures are 11 people that make pie in TN?

It's that there was no economic necessity to hire those extra workers. They were doing work that could have been done by the existing staff. Thus they didnt add any economic value, just drew a taxpayer financed paycheck. When the subsidiy goes away, so will the job.
Had the gov't done something to change demand, like cut the tax on pies, the extra workers would have been needed because demand was higher. Thus they would have contributed economic value.

Further, the pie company hired workers, but at the expense of the ship yard in Oregon, which probably fired an equal number.

No, the owner of the Pie Company will retain 11 or the 12 pie makers/delivery workers because the business grew after she added the government subsidized assets. Now that the business has grown, it is profitable enough to pay for their continued employment....

Unless they are selling Pies to OTHER workers that will be unemployed once the Stimulous program ends......or, the Pie Factory's Government Mandated Health Insurance Costs kick in......or, The Nanny State places a tax on sugar to cut down on your Bad Pie Eating Habit, and fewer Pies are eaten.

Last edited:
Nah, the pie co determines employment not on the amount of productive assets, but on the fact that this periods revenues exceed this periods costs. Assets purchased are sunk costs, and are not involved in any management's decision process. What matters is the price of wages, sugar, fruit, flour, butter being more the money they get for the pies. The government gives cash to the pie co, to eliminate the wages part and to buy assets. When the government cash goes away, we are back to the original equation of producing pies till marginal cost equals marginal revenue.

As far as the government is concerned, the pie co's sunk costs go into the multiplier. Which as Rabbi points out, the multiplier is really less than 1, as the eocomy had to give up better paying jobs to subsidize the lower paying jobs.

Nah, the pie co determines employment not on the amount of productive assets, but on the fact that this periods revenues exceed this periods costs. Assets purchased are sunk costs, and are not involved in any management's decision process. What matters is the price of wages, sugar, fruit, flour, butter being more the money they get for the pies. The government gives cash to the pie co, to eliminate the wages part and to buy assets. When the government cash goes away, we are back to the original equation of producing pies till marginal cost equals marginal revenue.

As far as the government is concerned, the pie co's sunk costs go into the multiplier. Which as Rabbi points out, the multiplier is really less than 1, as the eocomy had to give up better paying jobs to subsidize the lower paying jobs.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

You obviously don't like pie: Only Nasty, Evul........dare I say REPUBLICAN?.....people don't like pie.

No, the owner of the Pie Company will retain 11 or the 12 pie makers/delivery workers because the business grew after she added the government subsidized assets. Now that the business has grown, it is profitable enough to pay for their continued employment....

Unless they are selling Pies to OTHER workers that will be unemployed once the Stimulous program ends......or, the Pie Factory's Government Mandated Health Insurance Costs kick in......or, The Nanny State places a tax on sugar to cut down on your Bad Pie Eating Habit, and fewer Pies are eaten.

No. The business could not sustain another 12 workers on its own. Only the temporary stimulus gave them the funds to hire extra workers. There was no new demand for pies created.

No. The business could not sustain another 12 workers on its own. Only the temporary stimulus gave them the funds to hire extra workers. There was no new demand for pies created.

Dalyn Patterson, OWNER or ARMSTRONG PIE CO., disagrees:

After the Armstrong Pie Company hired 12 workers with stimulus money, it was able to expand its production, add delivery routes and increase sales, said Dalyn Patterson, who owns the company with her husband, Bert. The business increased enough that she said she expected to keep 11 of the 12 workers

What do you know?

More about pies than Dalyn Patterson?

Have YOU ever owned a Pie Company? No?

You obviously don't like pie: Only Nasty, Evul........dare I say REPUBLICAN?.....people don't like pie.

Pi is totally irrational.

Pi is totally irrational.

Damn you and your Math Puns.

You'll scare away all the Libs from the thread.:(

Let's make this an emotional issue: How many babies die every year from Pie Malnutritican?

The cost per gubmint subsidized job is yet more proof that the government is not an efficient creator of jobs. It just transfers income and wealth from some people to other people. The former would rather keep their money and make their own PIE.

The cost per gubmint subsidized job is yet more proof that the government is not an efficient creator of jobs. It just transfers income and wealth from some people to other people. The former would rather keep their money and make their own PIE.

You don't care about pie or the babies that depend on pie to live.

You are another EVUL HEARTLESS REPUBLICAN!!!

I saw this piece in the NYT, decrying the loss of "jobs," because I was curious about what sort of jobs the stimulous had ........well, "STIMULATED."

the article's headline leads one to believe that THOUSANDS have benefitted from part of the $750 B stimulous was given away, right???

a $1 billion New Deal-style program that directly paid the salaries of unemployed people so they could get jobs in government, at nonprofit organizations and at many small businesses

$1,000,000,000/10,000 people = $100,000/person

SHIT!!! I'd like to make $100,000!!!!

So I read the article to see what all these auto-part factory workers in "rural Perry County, Tenn.," were doing for the taxpayer funded $100,000/person program;

There are success stories in Tennessee. After the Armstrong Pie Company hired 12 workers with stimulus money, it was able to expand its production, add delivery routes and increase sales,

:eusa_eh:

PIES?????

$1,200,000 was spent so that 12 people can make more pie.

WTF!!!

my favorite was Bidens shout out for weatherization at the start of our summer with bernie, oops I mean recovery summer....

A Stimulus Project Gets All Caulked Up

Caulked Up: Stimulus Plan Gets Bogged in Bureaucracy - WSJ.com

and

Weatherization Stimulus Report: Fail
Alarming Lack of Progress in Plan to Weatherize Homes for nearly 600,000 Low-Income Residents

New York has $394 million available and planned to weatherize 45,400 units. But only did 280.

Believe it or not that's better than a lot of states. Cold states like Alaska ($18.1 million available) and Wyoming ($10.2 million available) didn't weatherize a single home. Same with Texas ($326 million available), Rhode Island ($20 million available), Hawaii ($4 million avail), and Washington D.C ($8 million available)

In all, only $368.2 million - less than 8 percent of the money available - has been spent on weatherization. Not surprising, the Inspector General found the jobs impact "has not materialized."

ttp://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/23/cbsnews_investigates/main6236133.shtml

yes, by all means, lets let gov. manage Health care to...:rolleyes:

I think the consumption driving economy is a bit fraudulent thinking.

If you consume a shoe, a worker is going to produce more shoes.
If you save, that means the worker has to find something else to produce.

So IMO the consumption is just preventing an economic restructuring to start exporting to china etc.

I mean there is HUGE demand in other parts of the world, they own a lot of dollars, americans on the other hand are broke. Perhaps there is a reason why there is no demand?

Anyway I am not an economist (yet) by any long shot. But this is what I think about the "we need to consume more with money from china". Eventually you need to pay your debt anyway. Though I am pretty sure that the government is trying to postpone the payback as hard they can.

Forum List

Back