Thousands face job loss when part of stimulus expires

In all, only $368.2 million - less than 8 percent of the money available - has been spent on weatherization. Not surprising, the Inspector General found the jobs impact "has not materialized."

ttp://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/23/cbsnews_investigates/main6236133.shtml

yes, by all means, lets let gov. manage Health care to...:rolleyes:

If you didn't hate babies, who live on pies, then you'd be able to see the problem with your logic is pretty obvious: Alaska needs pies more than weatherization.

I saw this piece in the NYT, decrying the loss of "jobs," because I was curious about what sort of jobs the stimulous had ........well, "STIMULATED."

the article's headline leads one to believe that THOUSANDS have benefitted from part of the $750 B stimulous was given away, right???

a $1 billion New Deal-style program that directly paid the salaries of unemployed people so they could get jobs in government, at nonprofit organizations and at many small businesses

$1,000,000,000/10,000 people = $100,000/person

SHIT!!! I'd like to make $100,000!!!!

So I read the article to see what all these auto-part factory workers in "rural Perry County, Tenn.," were doing for the taxpayer funded $100,000/person program;

There are success stories in Tennessee. After the Armstrong Pie Company hired 12 workers with stimulus money, it was able to expand its production, add delivery routes and increase sales,

:eusa_eh:

PIES?????

$1,200,000 was spent so that 12 people can make more pie.

WTF!!!

Where are you coming up with that 10,000 jobs number?

The article you link to doesn't give us a total number of jobs.

It mentions various numbers in various places (and some of those places amount to more than 10,000) but doesn't really give us any HARD numbers to work with.

Your complaint may be valid, (I don't doubt it, really) but without having REAL numbers to work with we cannot know just how valid it really is.

This is what I feel like when I think of the government wasting $100,000.00 a year on someone to make PIES...

pieintheface.jpg

I saw this piece in the NYT, decrying the loss of "jobs," because I was curious about what sort of jobs the stimulous had ........well, "STIMULATED."

the article's headline leads one to believe that THOUSANDS have benefitted from part of the $750 B stimulous was given away, right???

a $1 billion New Deal-style program that directly paid the salaries of unemployed people so they could get jobs in government, at nonprofit organizations and at many small businesses

$1,000,000,000/10,000 people = $100,000/person

SHIT!!! I'd like to make $100,000!!!!

So I read the article to see what all these auto-part factory workers in "rural Perry County, Tenn.," were doing for the taxpayer funded $100,000/person program;

There are success stories in Tennessee. After the Armstrong Pie Company hired 12 workers with stimulus money, it was able to expand its production, add delivery routes and increase sales,

:eusa_eh:

PIES?????

$1,200,000 was spent so that 12 people can make more pie.

WTF!!!

Where are you coming up with that 10,000 jobs number?

The article you link to doesn't give us a total number of jobs.

It mentions various numbers in various places (and some of those places amount to more than 10,000) but doesn't really give us any HARD numbers to work with.

Your complaint may be valid, (I don't doubt it, really) but without having REAL numbers to work with we cannot know just how valid it really is.

Well, I maximized the definition of "Thousands."

and figured that if the real number was 10,001 then the headline would have read "Tens of Thousands"

Didn't see where it mentioned any number in any place, greater than 1,000.

But you are correct there is the oddly vauge:

The money that pays Mr. Davis’s salary, and the salaries of tens of thousands of other people around the country, will dry up after next Thursday, when the welfare program in the stimulus act that pays the bills for those jobs is set to expire.

Last edited:
Well you folks will be happy to know that New Mexico has also created 12 or 13 government jobs with several million dollars of stimulus monies received here.

However, the state is forced into an austerity program and announced that it isl eliminating child care subsidies affecting about 7000 children.

BUT. . . .you will be proud to know that our esteemed governor is using up to $3 million of stimulus money to purchase an abandoned ranch between Albuquerque and Santa Fe to house up to 35 wild horses. That won't create any jobs, but it will be great for the horses that are actually doing quite well on the public lands where they now roam.

But not to worry. They may later use other stimulus monies to build a tourist center and facilities at the wild horse ranch and that could actually save four or five state government jobs. So all is not lost.

I am a cake guy, whos got my cake!!!

( I hate pie!!)

I heard that, you commie bastard!!

All REAL AMERICANS eat Mom's Apple Pie, and they LIKE IT.

Why don't you go back to North Korea, where they'll be happy to ration your weekly rice cake.

In rural Perry County, Tenn., the program helped pay for roughly 400 new jobs in the public and private sectors. But in a county of 7,600 people, those jobs had a big impact: they reduced Perry County’s unemployment rate to less than 14 percent this August, from the Depression-like levels of more than 25 percent that it hit last year after its biggest employer, an auto parts factory, moved to Mexico.

Thousands face job loss when stimulus expires - Politics - The New York Times - msnbc.com

Didn't the John Boehner and the GOP just "pledge" to eliminate this stimulus?

Forum List

Back