THIS is what we need for a Superbowl halftime

Enough of the ghetto trash.

I could live with that. I don't know who picks this Halftime Pop Dreck, but last I checked, it costs a lot of money to go to the SB, money that older people with money have who've been football fans for decades and like real rock, not the young kids just out of school who like this bubblegum pop they seem to have every year. What fucking losers do they have this year? Jennifer Lopez and some other slut to shake her ass as she lip sinks over some lousy light show? Halftime has been total shit for years now and I swear only gets worse with every passing year.

I'd like to see some politicians hung at half time.

That's a little severe, Mike. I think a far better choice would be to have Adam, Jerry Nadler and Nancy strip naked, paint their bodies with coal tar, then cover them in feathers and make them run around the field waving their arms squawking like chickens chasing a truck with an actor in the back wearing a Trump mask as the audience roars!

You see, my way, we can humiliate them over and over and over again! Might eventually even get our money's worth out of them. They should be locked up that way, naked, tarred and feathered eating dog food for 22 years for what they have done to this country.

That's a little severe, Mike. I think a far better choice would be to have Adam, Jerry Nadler and Nancy strip naked, paint their bodies with coal tar, then cover them in feathers and make them run around the field waving their arms squawking like chickens chasing a truck with an actor in the back wearing a Trump mask as the audience roars!

You see, my way, we can humiliate them over and over and over again! Might eventually even get our money's worth out of them. They should be locked up that way, naked, tarred and feathered eating dog food for 22 years for what they have done to this country.
Hanging is cost effective.

I could live with that. I don't know who picks this Halftime Pop Dreck, but last I checked, it costs a lot of money to go to the SB, money that older people with money have who've been football fans for decades and like real rock, not the young kids just out of school who like this bubblegum pop they seem to have every year. What fucking losers do they have this year? Jennifer Lopez and some other slut to shake her ass as she lip sinks over some lousy light show? Halftime has been total shit for years now and I swear only gets worse with every passing year.

Do you think the fans in the stadium are the main target audience of the halftime show? I don't know what the demographics are of people who actually attend the Super Bowl, so I have no idea if your characterization of that is accurate, but I'm pretty sure the broadcast viewers are the main audience of concern for those who put the event together.

I pretty much always ignore the halftime show. That's a good time to get some food, use the bathroom, talk about stuff. :)

Do you think the fans in the stadium are the main target audience of the halftime show? I don't know what the demographics are of people who actually attend the Super Bowl, so I have no idea if your characterization of that is accurate, but I'm pretty sure the broadcast viewers are the main audience of concern for those who put the event together.

I pretty much always ignore the halftime show. That's a good time to get some food, use the bathroom, talk about stuff. :)

Not sure if you guys know this but the halftime artists don't get paid for their performance. They do it for self promotion.

Not sure if you guys know this but the halftime artists don't get paid for their performance. They do it for self promotion.

Apparently a couple of recent ones have had the NFL donate to a charity. I think it was Travis Scott and Maroon 5 that each had the NFL donate $500,000.

Considering what a SB ticket can cost (over $4,000 a seat right now), I'd hope the target audience was the attendees there. Keep in mind that most of the audience watching at home is likely older people too who have followed the game for a long time and are likely bigger fans of the Stones, Uriah Heep, Rare Earth, Journey, Led Zep, etc., people who actually WROTE AND PLAYED music and instruments than some 20 year old hottie that dances around to a light show in a skimpy outfit who doesn't even play an instrument much less any kind of real band.

How many 18-25 year old kids do you know who have $4,000 for a SB ticket, plus the cost of air travel, hotel and meals?

Considering what a SB ticket can cost (over $4,000 a seat right now), I'd hope the target audience was the attendees there. Keep in mind that most of the audience watching at home is likely older people too who have followed the game for a long time and are likely bigger fans of the Stones, Uriah Heep, Rare Earth, Journey, Led Zep, etc., people who actually WROTE AND PLAYED music and instruments than some 20 year old hottie that dances around to a light show in a skimpy outfit who doesn't even play an instrument much less any kind of real band.

How many 18-25 year old kids do you know who have $4,000 for a SB ticket, plus the cost of air travel, hotel and meals?

The money the NFL gets from ticket sales is barely a drop in the bucket compared to the advertising revenue they get from what is the single most watched TV broadcast in the US every year.

In addition, women make up around half of the viewers from what I've read, which of course may play a part in the choice of musical acts.

Further, considering the apparent popularity of the SB halftime show, they are clearly doing something right as far as viewers are concerned. I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few people tune in to the halftime show that don't bother to watch the game.

And again, who has the money for a SB ticket is almost irrelevant. I am confident that the fans at the stadium are not the main target audience of the halftime show.

I'd be happy with better music being played. I'd be happy with no halftime show at all. Since the SB is such a huge television event, and the halftime show has become a big part of that, I know it's not going to change any time soon.

One final point: while the NFL apparently creates a list of performers, the host city supposedly makes the actual choices. Here’s How the NFL Chooses the Super Bowl Halftime Performers

Super Bowl TV ratings: Fast facts at a glance

The money the NFL gets from ticket sales is barely a drop in the bucket compared to the advertising revenue they get from what is the single most watched TV broadcast in the US every year.
Then watch the commercials and tell me who most of the target audience is aimed at, kids or adults? Men or women?

In addition, women make up around half of the viewers from what I've read, which of course may play a part in the choice of musical acts.
Seriously doubt that. Most of the women watching the game do so because their boyfriend, husband or other friends are watching it.

Further, considering the apparent popularity of the SB halftime show, they are clearly doing something right as far as viewers are concerned. I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few people tune in to the halftime show that don't bother to watch the game.
Never met one person yet who tuned in just for the halftime show. You can see a better music video on You Tube any day of the week. The shows are becoming sickeningly PC.

And again, who has the money for a SB ticket is almost irrelevant. I am confident that the fans at the stadium are not the main target audience of the halftime show.
Irrelevant I think not. They are shelling out far more money to see that show than anyone else. Many of those folks are paying $6,000 to be there live to see it first hand. Me? About 17¢ in electricity.

One final point: while the NFL apparently creates a list of performers, the host city supposedly makes the actual choices.
I bet they'd get quit a different list if they actually asked the fans.

Last edited:
Then watch the commercials and tell me who most of the target audience is aimed at, kids or adults? Men or women?

Seriously doubt that. Most of the women watching the game do so because their boyfriend, husband or other friends are watching it.

Never met one person yet who tuned in just for the halftime show. You can see a better music video on You Tube any day of the week. The shows are becoming sickeningly PC.

Irrelevant I think not. They are shelling out far more money to see that show than anyone else. Many of those folks are paying $6,000 to be there live to see it first hand. Me? About 17¢ in electricity.

One final point: while the NFL apparently creates a list of performers, the host city supposedly makes the actual choices.
I bet they'd get quit a different list if they actually asked the fans.

Why women watch the Super Bowl doesn't matter. Why would the NFL, or the advertisers, care whether the women watching are football fans themselves or not? If anything, someone who isn't a football fan seems more likely to pay attention to the commercials, since they won't be that interested in the game. So if you're trying to make a point that women watching the SB aren't actually football fans, it would seem to play into the idea of the halftime show being targeted towards them; something to keep them watching.

And you may doubt that women make up half the viewers, but I'm not just making it up out of thin air.
Data Shows Women Paid More Attention To Super Bowl LII Than Men
How Women Watch the Super Bowl (Infographic)
Super Bowl 52: Who's Watching and What’s Filling Americans' Baskets?
Women comprise nearly half of NFL audience, but more wanted

You might note that in the second link, the survey found that 63% of women watch the SB for the halftime show.

I have known more than one person who said they would watch the SB halftime show but not the game.

What do you think the NFL, or the host city, makes from SB tickets? Now compare that to the money they make from TV advertisers. How do those numbers compare? What you pay in electricity means nothing at all to the NFL or the host city. Why even bring that up? Are you saying people are not willing to pay for Super Bowl tickets because of the choices in halftime show performers? I'd love to see evidence of that.

Once again, based on the apparent popularity of the SB halftime show, there seem to be plenty of fans who are happy with the choices in performers.

If anything, someone who isn't a football fan seems more likely to pay attention to the commercials, since they won't be that interested in the game.
Now this is getting plain stupid. If they aren't even a football fan, why would they be watching the game? Any novel commercials are seen during the first quarter usually and fade after that; once in a while they have a good one, but these are all shown on regular TV anyway. And they are commercials.

The last good halftime show IMO was way back in 2012 and I'm not even a Madonna fan, but that performance hit on so many quality, complex levels.

Madonna - Super Bowl Medley 2012 (HD)

This year, I might recognize Jennifer Lopez but I wouldn't know one of her songs. And the other girl? Never even heard of her.

Not Everyone Super Happy With Super Bowl Halftime Performers | Picks

If anything, someone who isn't a football fan seems more likely to pay attention to the commercials, since they won't be that interested in the game.
Now this is getting plain stupid. If they aren't even a football fan, why would they be watching the game? Any novel commercials are seen during the first quarter usually and fade after that; once in a while they have a good one, but these are all shown on regular TV anyway. And they are commercials.

The last good halftime show IMO was way back in 2012 and I'm not even a Madonna fan, but that performance hit on so many quality, complex levels.

This year, I might recognize Jennifer Lopez but I wouldn't know one of her songs. And the other girl? Never even heard of her.

I'm assuming you didn't look at the links I provided. Based on various polling, there are plenty of people who watch the SB for the commercials. Maybe some are the family/friends/significant others of football fans, but if they watch, they watch.

I don't know half the performers on the halftime shows. So what? As long as enough people enjoy it (and for the umpteenth time, since the SB halftime show seems to be quite popular, many people clearly do) the NFL and advertisers will keep to the model they are using.

You give the impression that your argument boils down to you not liking the halftime performers, therefore most people must not like the halftime performers.

I don't even watch the halftime shows most of the time. I don't think they are good, but I can recognize that if they are popular, other people do.

I'm assuming you didn't look at the links I provided. Based on various polling, there are plenty of people who watch the SB for the commercials. Maybe some are the family/friends/significant others of football fans, but if they watch, they watch.

I don't know half the performers on the halftime shows. So what? As long as enough people enjoy it (and for the umpteenth time, since the SB halftime show seems to be quite popular, many people clearly do) the NFL and advertisers will keep to the model they are using.

You give the impression that your argument boils down to you not liking the halftime performers, therefore most people must not like the halftime performers.

I don't even watch the halftime shows most of the time. I don't think they are good, but I can recognize that if they are popular, other people do.

Look, no one who has no intention on watching or interest in the game itself makes a point to tune in, sit there for 4 hours JUST TO WATCH COMMERCIALS. I check out the commercials, but only up to the point that I'm already watching the game anyway, and so long as they are fairly interesting. Quit believing every damn thing you read.

The halftime shows STINK. You'd know that if you actually had any real musical interest or taste. Just how would I ever even know a Jennifer Lopez song? Where the hell would I hear one? Sit in my car and tune around on the radio? First of all, if the NFL had any appreciation of its fans, each season, they'd put out a thing during the games inviting people to go to their site and write in their OWN picks of their top 10 bands to see (that are still actively touring), and compile a list of choices from there. Then I could believe that a lot of people are enjoying the show.

Instead, the NFL makes up its own list then gives it to the city to choose from! Go to a fucking bar or sports bar that routinely has the games on and ask how many people there choose Jen Lopez and the other skank if that's their best choice of who THEY'D want to see! If the halftime shows get any positive review at all, it is only because:
  1. Most of the viewers are already hopped up because its the Super Bowl.
  2. Most of the viewers are drunk.
  3. Most people today don't even own a stereo or have any serious investment in music and wouldn't know good music from bad. They're drunk, they're partying, it's the SB, and it has pretty girls dancing half naked to a light show. Go ask 10 people what their favorite Jen Lopez song is and see the answers you get.
I mean, they used to at least have famous people like The Who, Prince, Stones, etc. Now they are picking people I've never even heard of much less care to watch that is strictly the interest of a kid's audience. When is the last time any performer even held a musical instrument?

Like my article rightly said: listen to the music they play DURING games. Then look at what they choose for halftimes. About as far apart as could be.

Forum List

Back