THIS is what we need for a Superbowl halftime

If anything, someone who isn't a football fan seems more likely to pay attention to the commercials, since they won't be that interested in the game.
Now this is getting plain stupid. If they aren't even a football fan, why would they be watching the game? Any novel commercials are seen during the first quarter usually and fade after that; once in a while they have a good one, but these are all shown on regular TV anyway. And they are commercials.

The last good halftime show IMO was way back in 2012 and I'm not even a Madonna fan, but that performance hit on so many quality, complex levels.

Madonna - Super Bowl Medley 2012 (HD)

This year, I might recognize Jennifer Lopez but I wouldn't know one of her songs. And the other girl? Never even heard of her.

Not Everyone Super Happy With Super Bowl Halftime Performers | Picks

I'm assuming you didn't look at the links I provided. Based on various polling, there are plenty of people who watch the SB for the commercials. Maybe some are the family/friends/significant others of football fans, but if they watch, they watch.

I don't know half the performers on the halftime shows. So what? As long as enough people enjoy it (and for the umpteenth time, since the SB halftime show seems to be quite popular, many people clearly do) the NFL and advertisers will keep to the model they are using.

You give the impression that your argument boils down to you not liking the halftime performers, therefore most people must not like the halftime performers.

I don't even watch the halftime shows most of the time. I don't think they are good, but I can recognize that if they are popular, other people do.

Look, no one who has no intention on watching or interest in the game itself makes a point to tune in, sit there for 4 hours JUST TO WATCH COMMERCIALS. I check out the commercials, but only up to the point that I'm already watching the game anyway, and so long as they are fairly interesting. Quit believing every damn thing you read.

The halftime shows STINK. You'd know that if you actually had any real musical interest or taste. Just how would I ever even know a Jennifer Lopez song? Where the hell would I hear one? Sit in my car and tune around on the radio? First of all, if the NFL had any appreciation of its fans, each season, they'd put out a thing during the games inviting people to go to their site and write in their OWN picks of their top 10 bands to see (that are still actively touring), and compile a list of choices from there. Then I could believe that a lot of people are enjoying the show.

Instead, the NFL makes up its own list then gives it to the city to choose from! Go to a fucking bar or sports bar that routinely has the games on and ask how many people there choose Jen Lopez and the other skank if that's their best choice of who THEY'D want to see! If the halftime shows get any positive review at all, it is only because:
  1. Most of the viewers are already hopped up because its the Super Bowl.
  2. Most of the viewers are drunk.
  3. Most people today don't even own a stereo or have any serious investment in music and wouldn't know good music from bad. They're drunk, they're partying, it's the SB, and it has pretty girls dancing half naked to a light show. Go ask 10 people what their favorite Jen Lopez song is and see the answers you get.
I mean, they used to at least have famous people like The Who, Prince, Stones, etc. Now they are picking people I've never even heard of much less care to watch that is strictly the interest of a kid's audience. When is the last time any performer even held a musical instrument?

Like my article rightly said: listen to the music they play DURING games. Then look at what they choose for halftimes. About as far apart as could be.

You're clearly determined to not only ignore what I've actually said, but to be a self-centered idiot, as well. I've already said that I don't usually bother watching the halftime shows because I don't think they are any good. You ignored that in an attempt to take a jab at my musical tastes, which you probably have absolutely no idea about.

Once again, I don't think the NFL cares whether YOU know any Jennifer Lopez songs. If enough of the audience does (and based on the popularity of the halftime shows, enough of the viewing audience seems to know and like the artists they choose), they will be happy. Of course, clearly you know how to market the Super Bowl better than the $13 billion-a-year NFL does.

If you don't think Jennifer Lopez is famous, you're pretty clueless. ;)

If the music played during the games and the music at the halftime shows are very different, maybe that should clue you in that the target audience may not be the same?

The Super Bowl is, and has been for years now, geared to more than just regular NFL fans. It's an event, a spectacle, and the NFL wants as many people watching at least part of it as they can get. If they can get someone like you or me watching, even though we don't care about or enjoy the halftime show, and get someone else who isn't much of a football fan to watch FOR the halftime show, that's going to be a success for them.

I posted links to a number of surveys done which indicated as much as 15% of people watching the Super Bowl think the halftime show is the most important part of the broadcast. With over 100 million viewers, that's a lot of people who are into the stupid halftime shows. Maybe you are incapable of believing that there are people who enjoy them. I dislike almost every artist that they choose, but I can understand that many people have different tastes than I do.

But if you think you can speak for the majority of the 100+ million viewers, keep right on. :lol:

Most people today don't even own a stereo or have any serious investment in music

That's CRAZY talk. Almost every single person I know enjoys music and the majority of them have pretty damn nice audio systems in the homes & or cars/trucks.

I literally don't know one person who doesn't enjoy music.

Most people today don't even own a stereo or have any serious investment in music

That's CRAZY talk. Almost every single person I know enjoys music and the majority of them have pretty damn nice audio systems in the homes & or cars/trucks.

A friend of mine isn't really a music fan, and I always find it very strange.

You're clearly determined to not only ignore what I've actually said, but to be a self-centered idiot, as well.
I didn't know someone could be self-centered or an idiot expressing a widely held view.

I've already said that I don't usually bother watching the halftime shows because I don't think they are any good.
So you're agreeing with me yet arguing with me and think I'M the idiot.

Once again, I don't think the NFL cares whether YOU know any Jennifer Lopez songs.
Isn't that kind of the whole point that the NFL doesn't care what its fans like?

If enough of the audience does (and based on the popularity of the halftime shows
Yet you ignore all of my tests for how or why they are "popular." I don't know a single person they are popular with.

Of course, clearly you know how to market the Super Bowl better than the $13 billion-a-year NFL does.
Why not? It's not as if history isn't replete with individuals who had better ideas than the masses or huge companies.

If you don't think Jennifer Lopez is famous, you're pretty clueless.
Apparently you just don't comprehend well. I never said JL wasn't popular, just not even remotely in the top ten choices for what SHOULD be the NFL's target audience. She is popular with kids and very young adults, again, NOT the people who buy SB tickets or sit around on a Sunday watching football and buying very expensive NFL gear.

If the music played during the games and the music at the halftime shows are very different, maybe that should clue you in that the target audience may not be the same?
Yet you have no proof that the people watching both are not the exact same people.

I posted links to a number of surveys done which indicated as much as 15% of people watching the Super Bowl think the halftime show is the most important part of the broadcast.
Again, you like to believe everything you read, not cognizant of the fact that also says that 85% feel it is the LEAST important part of the game. If I were in charge of halftime, 85% failure for me implies a failure to reach all the people with as good of a product as I could. The fact that the NFL settles for that flies in the face of everything else you have claimed.

Crazy talk? When I was young, I had Radio Shacks all over the place. Half the store was turntables, receivers and speakers. That all disappeared long before they did. Then there was Olsons, Lafayette, and a plethora of boutique high end stores. That is all gone now. The only high end stores now are maybe 1-2 in major cities. Nearly all other "stereo" or "sound" stores or departments are HOME THEATER now.

"Liking" music and being an audiophile are two different things. There is no music system in the world you can stuff into a car that is a serious music system. If you think otherwise, you obviously have never seen a serious music system. You say the majority of people you know have "damn nice audio systems" in their homes? I'd love to hear what any of them are! It has been a long time since I've seen any sort of decent music system in a home; most people now have MP3 files they download off the web into their handheld device with a set of earbuds in their ears. :21:

You're clearly determined to not only ignore what I've actually said, but to be a self-centered idiot, as well.
I didn't know someone could be self-centered or an idiot expressing a widely held view.

I've already said that I don't usually bother watching the halftime shows because I don't think they are any good.
So you're agreeing with me yet arguing with me and think I'M the idiot.

Once again, I don't think the NFL cares whether YOU know any Jennifer Lopez songs.
Isn't that kind of the whole point that the NFL doesn't care what its fans like?

If enough of the audience does (and based on the popularity of the halftime shows
Yet you ignore all of my tests for how or why they are "popular." I don't know a single person they are popular with.

Of course, clearly you know how to market the Super Bowl better than the $13 billion-a-year NFL does.
Why not? It's not as if history isn't replete with individuals who had better ideas than the masses or huge companies.

If you don't think Jennifer Lopez is famous, you're pretty clueless.
Apparently you just don't comprehend well. I never said JL wasn't popular, just not even remotely in the top ten choices for what SHOULD be the NFL's target audience. She is popular with kids and very young adults, again, NOT the people who buy SB tickets or sit around on a Sunday watching football and buying very expensive NFL gear.

Yet you have no proof that the people watching both are not the exact same people.

I posted links to a number of surveys done which indicated as much as 15% of people watching the Super Bowl think the halftime show is the most important part of the broadcast.
Again, you like to believe everything you read, not cognizant of the fact that also says that 85% feel it is the LEAST important part of the game. If I were in charge of halftime, 85% failure for me implies a failure to reach all the people with as good of a product as I could. The fact that the NFL settles for that flies in the face of everything else you have claimed.

It must be nice to be so sure you know what everyone is thinking and doing. :lol:

You seem to base everything you argue on who you know, as though that must be representative of the 100+ million Super Bowl viewers. Here's a tip: it's pretty clear that the people you know do not represent all of the SB viewers.

I agree that the halftime shows suck. Unlike you, however, I understand that my opinion does not hold true for everyone. Many people clearly enjoy or at least are interested in the halftime shows. Your personal acquaintances may not care for it, but guess what? As I've had to try explaining many times, your acquaintances may not (and in this instance, clearly do not) represent all or most of the SB viewers. If your 'test' for the popularity of the halftime show is people you personally know, well, it's pretty easy to see why you're so adamant about all this. You view things through an incredibly self-centered lens.

Hey, if you think you've got a better marketing strategy for the SB, go pitch it. Good luck to you.

Here's what you actually said: "I mean, they used to at least have famous people like The Who, Prince, Stones, etc. Now they are picking people I've never even heard of much less care to watch that is strictly the interest of a kid's audience." If they USED to have famous people, that would mean they no longer do.

Look, the halftime show isn't supposed to be the main draw of the Super Bowl. Even if they did a great job at it, one would assume that most football fans would still consider the game the most important part of the event. The fact that so many people list something OTHER than the game as the most important aspect says to me that many people watch the Super Bowl for more than the game, some not even caring about the game. I know people who have done just that, and will do so again: the Super Bowl has become a huge event, bigger than just a football game. The fact that 85% say that the halftime show is the least important (and that's not actually how the survey went, but we'll ignore that for the moment) is something to be expected. You would think the most people would consider the game the most important. There's also the commercials, which plenty of people consider the most important from various surveys. There's also the parties, as the SB is a big event for people to get together. The more people who say the halftime show is the most important, the fewer people who think the game is most important, and THAT seems like a much bigger failure for the NFL. It's already pretty crazy that half or more of the people in different surveys about the SB say that something other than the game is the most important aspect.
The Super Bowl is the biggest show of the year, but football is only part of it
Poll Results: Super Bowl | YouGov
The game is the least important part of the Super Bowl for viewers
Why people watch the Super Bowl

Those are some examples.

To recap: your personal acquaintances are not necessarily a good measure of the overall Super Bowl viewing audience. Your or my opinion that the halftime shows are bad, or that the performers are generally bad, does not mean that such an opinion is universally or even widely held. That more people consider the game the most important aspect of the SB should be expected and does not mean that there aren't many people who consider the halftime show the most important (or the commercials). Or to put it all into one sentence: Just because you and the people you know don't like the halftime show doesn't meant that millions of other people don't like it. ;)

Halftime shows have been pretty lame recently
There are no superstar performers who are not in their 70s

Hey!!! I'm a woman and I watch and enjoy the game of football. I definitely enjoy the SB a lot more when MY team is in it, but I will still watch it (the outcome is just not as important). I enjoy watching their athleticism. They are amazingly athletic.

As to the halftime show, I watch it. I do like J Lo and others, but I would agree that this is not the kind of music I would like to hear at a SB. I would rather hear something that gets me riled up! Metallica would be cool. :)

What horrific timing for Chiefs fan. Waiting all of this time and the SB will be an after thought this week.

What a tragedy losing Kobe. Completely forgot there was even a SB this week.

What horrific timing for Chiefs fan. Waiting all of this time and the SB will be an after thought this week.

Having the attention off you for a while is not necessarily a bad thing. That game is at a stage all by itself. If you feel the pressure as a player it hurts performance.

Having the attention off you for a while is not necessarily a bad thing. That game is at a stage all by itself. If you feel the pressure as a player it hurts performance.
I am talking about the fans. This whole week is about the fans, not the teams.

The poor Chief fan. Somber week, somber time when this is the week they have dreamt about for 50 years.

Hey!!! I'm a woman and I watch and enjoy the game of football. I definitely enjoy the SB a lot more when MY team is in it, but I will still watch it (the outcome is just not as important). I enjoy watching their athleticism. They are amazingly athletic.

As to the halftime show, I watch it. I do like J Lo and others, but I would agree that this is not the kind of music I would like to hear at a SB. I would rather hear something that gets me riled up! Metallica would be cool. :)

Metallica from 30 years ago, anyway. ;)

I am talking about the fans. This whole week is about the fans, not the teams.

The poor Chief fan. Somber week, somber time when this is the week they have dreamt about for 50 years.

Yeah, that kind of puts a damper on your SB. Well, I hope you still have a good time for yourself.

Metallica from 30 years ago, anyway. ;)

Well, they certainly aren't what they were 30 years ago, but they are still a better act for the SB than J Lo. :10:

Forum List

Back