THIS is what we need for a Superbowl halftime

Imagine THIS song being played at halftime. :113:

Oh no, let's have something DIFFERENT for a SB Halftime show!

This year, FOR A CHANGE, let's have a young, 20-something, hot, tight little bodied dancer with a voice come out in a skimpy costume and DANCE while singing vocals to some hidden generic band behind the stage!

Let's not have actual musicians who play instruments (rock instruments), play something high energy to a good light show and rev things up for the 2nd half! I'm starting to think ol' Roger Goodell doesn't like rock music.

Imagine THIS song being played at halftime. :113:

Oh no, let's have something DIFFERENT for a SB Halftime show!

This year, FOR A CHANGE, let's have a young, 20-something, hot, tight little bodied dancer with a voice come out in a skimpy costume and DANCE while singing vocals to some hidden generic band behind the stage!

Let's not have actual musicians who play instruments (rock instruments), play something high energy to a good light show and rev things up for the 2nd half! I'm starting to think ol' Roger Goodell doesn't like rock music.

There have been plenty of rock bands in the halftime shows. Maroon 5 is, I guess, a rock band..or at least rock-ish, from last year. Coldplay was there in 2016. Red Hot Chili Peppers in 2014. Slash was part of the 2011 show. The Who played 2010. Bruce Springsteen in 2009. Tom Petty in 2008. Etc.

There's been less of it in the past few years, but it's not as if the NFL has completely abandoned rock at the halftime shows.

I don't know if Faith No More is popular enough for the NFL to consider. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they refused to play the SB for some reason. I could see Patton, in particular, having some sort of moral objection to the game or to football in general. :p

There have been plenty of rock bands in the halftime shows. Maroon 5 is, I guess, a rock band..or at least rock-ish, from last year. Coldplay was there in 2016. Red Hot Chili Peppers in 2014. Slash was part of the 2011 show. The Who played 2010. Bruce Springsteen in 2009. Tom Petty in 2008. Etc.
Maroon 5, who are they? Didn't they just play a few years ago? They are no rock band.
Coldplay, who are they? I thought these had to be "popular" bands.
Red Hot Chilli Peppers: their show stunk. Totally watered down.
Slash, you mean the guitarist from GNR?
The Who. Again, watered down and commercialized, but that was a DECADE ago anyway.
Springsteen. Light Rock. Pop rock.
Tom Petty. Same. FM radio stuff.

I'm not asking for real, goose-pimple invoking, mind-reeling music every year, but the NFL venues have been falling in toward a gut wrenching pop sameness like baby pap making it about as significant and memorable a music event as the Pro Bowl is to football.

If people think these shows are "memorable" they haven't a clue anything about real good music.

Last edited:
Maroon 5, who are they? Didn't they just play a few years ago? They are no rock band.
The Who. Again, watered down and commercialized, but that was a DECADE ago anyway.

I'm not asking for real, goose-pimple invoking, mind-reeling music every year, but the NFL venues have been falling in toward a gut wrenching pop sameness like baby pap making it about as significant and memorable a music event as the Pro Bowl is to football.

If people think these shows are "memorable" they haven't a clue anything about real good music.

I love the Chili Peppers. They didn't actually perform that halftime show. They only did one act where they joined Bruno Mars who was the actual performer. You are right though, most of it is pop music, which I don't mind, but would rather have something more oriented to the game of football, something to get you riled up and excited.

At least Slash plays an awesome electric guitar! :D

Well, Maroon 5 and Coldplay are popular bands. :)

I love the Chili Peppers. They didn't actually perform that halftime show. They only did one act where they joined Bruno Mars who was the actual performer. You are right though, most of it is pop music, which I don't mind, but would rather have something more oriented to the game of football, something to get you riled up and excited.

RHCP is an obscene band full of explicit lyrics that cannot be themselves on national TV. They are at their best playing between The Power of Equality and If You Have To Ask. Unfortunately, less than one in 1,000,000 music systems has the full bass potential to explore all the bass that is actually in the latter song!

Another good band is 311 and they have an incredible song, but again, virtually no one ever hears it as it was meant to play because almost no one has that kind of bass energy potential or volume in a home system.

Would love to play it for you.

Not in my circles.

RHCP is an obscene band full of explicit lyrics that cannot be themselves on national TV. They are at their best playing between The Power of Equality and If You Have To Ask. Unfortunately, less than one in 1,000,000 music systems has the full bass potential to explore all the bass that is actually in the latter song!

Another good band is 311 and they have an incredible song, but again, virtually no one ever hears it as it was meant to play because almost no one has that kind of bass energy potential or volume in a home system.

Interesting and unique sound. I do like bands that have their own uniqueness. Never heard of them before. I must confess, the sound system on my computer is really crappy too. :laugh:

Not in my circles.

I like a couple of tunes by both of them, but they are certainly not as talented as some. They are more like pop music, so more popular with millennials and younger.

Interesting and unique sound. I do like bands that have their own uniqueness. Never heard of them before. I must confess, the sound system on my computer is really crappy too. :laugh:

That's because there is no such thing as good sound on a computer or a car. I remember a buddy of mine (my mentor) putting a tube amp in his Bronco pick up and a pair of 3-way home stereo speakers in the back. You know, wood cabinets, 10-12" woofers, etc. Don't remember the exact ones, probably Advents. Truck was a beater, eventually stolen though, for the sound system in it.

But not everyone want to wire a home receiver and speakers to their computer, so if you have $75, here are the best computer speakers out there to buy.

Harman Kardon Soundsticks III 2.1 Channel Multimedia Speaker System with Subwoofer

The usually sell more for $250, so if you can get a pair of these in any kind of good working condition this cheap, definitely go for it.

That's because there is no such thing as good sound on a computer or a car. I remember a buddy of mine (my mentor) putting a tube amp in his Bronco pick up and a pair of 3-way home stereo speakers in the back. You know, wood cabinets, 10-12" woofers, etc. Don't remember the exact ones, probably Advents. Truck was a beater, eventually stolen though, for the sound system in it.

But not everyone want to wire a home receiver and speakers to their computer, so if you have $75, here are the best computer speakers out there to buy.

Harman Kardon Soundsticks III 2.1 Channel Multimedia Speaker System with Subwoofer

The usually sell more for $250, so if you can get a pair of these in any kind of good working condition, definitely go for it.

I have some nice high quality ear buds, and music sounds a lot better when I listen with those. Problem is, I don't know where they are right now. :dunno: The speakers on my laptop are terrible though, very tinny and cheap sounding.

The usually sell more for $250, so if you can get a pair of these in any kind of good working condition this cheap, definitely go for it.

I should add that those Soundsticks are the big brothers to the older H-K wine glasses I use on my computer (a Mac Pro):

L932280.jpg

I know something about the subject, I used to design and build pro sound systems and my own custom built one if you could buy in a store has sound capability that as a consumer buying retail, might set you back about $200K.

The usually sell more for $250, so if you can get a pair of these in any kind of good working condition, definitely go for it.

I have some nice high quality ear buds, and music sounds a lot better when I listen with those. Problem is, I don't know where they are right now. :dunno: The speakers on my laptop are terrible though, very tinny and cheap sounding.

Get the H-K Soundstick IIIs. They should plug right into the line out. When you see them, you won't believe them. ;) I'll even tell you how to set them up. You'll be throwing those stinky earbuds out.

Of course, if you really are married to earphones for mobility, you ought to look at getting an old pair of Sennheisers or Joseph Grado SR-60s.

1. Like I said, rock-ish. Pop-rock.
2. Coldplay is a fairly well-known band.
3. I wasn't commenting on the quality of the performances, just pointing out that plenty of rock acts/artists have been in Super Bowl halftime shows, because you indicated that wasn't the case
4. Yes, that Slash
5. Again, didn't comment on the quality, just that it's a rock band
6. Still rock
7. Still rock

If you want to discuss the quality of the performances, that's something else entirely. The point is that the halftime shows do incorporate rock, if not as frequently lately as in the past.

And of course, what constitutes "real good music" is subjective. I doubt there have been more than a handful of songs played at the SB halftime shows that I would consider particularly good songs, even when listened to in the best possible quality. I know that my opinion isn't the majority opinion, though, and I don't expect most of what I listen to to get into a SB halftime show because I know it isn't popular. :p

The Super Bowl is an event that is for more than just a football game, watched by people other than just football fans. It's not surprising they would go for whatever pop stuff they think will go over well.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back