This Film Review Belongs In 'Politics'!

9. Did you notice the blame heaped on the role of the federal government for the debacle?
You didn't???
Know why?
Because it wasn't in the film:
Liberal big government was shielded by Liberal Hollywood.

"This was a market failure, we are told, and the promise of capitalism has always been that the self-correcting mechanisms built into the system would preclude the possibility of a systemic market failure.
A bubble created by rigged financial markets and a government-sponsored obsession with home ownership is not a result of market failure, but rather, a result of bad public policy.

The belief that home ownership, per se, is such a benefit that no amount of government support could be too great and no pace at which home prices rise could be too fast is the root of the crisis." A Government Failure, Not a Market Failure

Again?
".... a government-sponsored obsession with home ownership...
bad public policy...."

A Liberal/Progressive policy, just one more in a long line of policies with no respect for the fact that the Constitution provides no authorization for the federal government to provide home ownership for citizens.
Conveniently left out of "The Big Short."

Pop Quiz...your chance to win any kewpie doll in the top row:
Exactly who was the President that augmented this ability- providing private home ownership- to the enumerated powers, Article 1, section 8???

I know that's not fair.....they don't reveal that in government schools.

10. Franklin Roosevelt ignored the enumerated powers of his government...and created Fannie Mae.....
....This act was the inceptive cause of the mortgage meltdown.

Then there was this:
"During Bill Clinton's first term, government housing policy changed substantially. ... the President, a "new Democrat," to a dramatic ideological shift .... ideas about the inestimable benefit of home ownership to the striving poor, the Clinton administration and members of his party in the House and Senate decided to use government power to achieve that aim.

In 1994, the "National Homeownership Strategy" of the Clinton administration advanced "financing strategies fueled by creativity to help homeowners who lacked the cash to buy a home or the income to make the down payments" to buy a home nonetheless.
It became U.S. government policy to intervene in the marketplace by lowering the standards necessary to qualify for mortgages so that Americans with lower incomes could participate in the leveraged purchases of homes.

The loosening of standards became the policy of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the pseudo-private "government-sponsored enterprises" that bought mortgages from originating lenders.

The housing bubble was thus a fully rational response to a set of distortions in the free market—distortions created primarily by the public sector. The heads of large financial institutions, as Prince's remark suggested, recognized the risk-taking subsidy inherent in public policy, but felt they had no choice but to play along or fall behind the other institutions that were also responding rationally to the incentives created by government intervention." A Government Failure, Not a Market Failure

"....government policy to intervene in the marketplace by lowering the standards necessary to qualify for mortgages...."

And that is authorized by the Constitution......where?

Therefore....this is why a review of "The Big Short" belongs in "Politics."
An engrossing film....but not one on which to base one's understanding of the 'mortgage meltdown.'

The following are the factors that created the mortgage meltdown...and every one of them is hidden by the film "The Big Short:"

1. Democrat FDR shredded the Constitution....ignoring article I, section 8, the enumerated powers.
He created GSE's Fannie and Freddie to do something the Constitution didn't authorize: meddle in housing.

2. Democrat Carter....the CRA, constraining banking policy

3. Democrat Clinton....strengthened the CRA
Under Clinton, HUD threatened banks, again, to give unrequited loans.
Henchmen: Democrats Cisneros and Cuomo.

4. Democrats Frank and Dodd barred any governmental discipline in this area.

QED....
"The Big Short".....great filmmaking.......terrible propaganda.

She's bitching because a movie had a point of view? Gee, what do conservatives want, some sort of government bureau that can review movies before they're released to make sure they have the 'proper' point of view?

That is scary.

When your language falls to gutter level I take it as a sign that the truth of the post irritates Liberal sensibilities....

...you recognize that it reveals what you Leftists would rather not see the light of day.

Excellent.

There'll be more.

If we all stipulate that yes indeed you are an irritating harpy, will you shut up about it?

So glad you posted that.

Gee.....another Liberal hoping to silence opposing voices.

What could be better proof that, in the market place of ideas, conservatives eat Liberals' lunch.

No. I'd just like to see you grow up and post like an adult.

Nah....what you'd like is to see me fall in line with other Lock-Step Liberals, and worship the great god, government.

Don't hold your breath....

WAIT.....hold your breath.

It's government that protects you and protects your rights.

What do you want more of? Military, which is the biggest of big government.

Where do you run the moment you think you've been wronged? To the government. To the Courts.

Pretending to be an anarchist is one of the funniest parts of your act.

When your language falls to gutter level I take it as a sign that the truth of the post irritates Liberal sensibilities....

...you recognize that it reveals what you Leftists would rather not see the light of day.

Excellent.

There'll be more.

If we all stipulate that yes indeed you are an irritating harpy, will you shut up about it?

So glad you posted that.

What could be better proof that, in the market place of ideas, conservatives eat Liberals' lunch.

Nah....what you'd like is to see me fall in line with other Lock-Step Liberals, and worship the great god, government.

Where do you run the moment you think you've been wronged? To the government. To the Courts.

This is so simple that even a dunce like you should be able to understand.

1. The only document by which Americans have agreed to be governed is the United States Constitution. In fact, it is known as 'the law of the land.'

2. Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:—"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

3. Why are you Leftists so eager to ignore the Constitution?

So glad you posted that.

1. The only document by which Americans have agreed to be governed is the United States Constitution. In fact, it is known as 'the law of the land.'

2. Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:—"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

What do we wish to ignore? The Constitution is the biggest of America's big government.

So glad you posted that.

Marriage equality is now constitutionally protected. Why do you wish to ignore it?

10. Franklin Roosevelt ignored the enumerated powers of his government...and created Fannie Mae.....

Then there was this:
"During Bill Clinton's first term, government housing policy changed substantially. ... the President, a "new Democrat," to a dramatic ideological shift .... ideas about the inestimable benefit of home ownership to the striving poor, the Clinton administration and members of his party in the House and Senate decided to use government power to achieve that aim.

In 1994, the "National Homeownership Strategy" of the Clinton administration advanced "financing strategies fueled by creativity to help homeowners who lacked the cash to buy a home or the income to make the down payments" to buy a home nonetheless.
It became U.S. government policy to intervene in the marketplace by lowering the standards necessary to qualify for mortgages so that Americans with lower incomes could participate in the leveraged purchases of homes.

The loosening of standards became the policy of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the pseudo-private "government-sponsored enterprises" that bought mortgages from originating lenders.

The housing bubble was thus a fully rational response to a set of distortions in the free market—distortions created primarily by the public sector. The heads of large financial institutions, as Prince's remark suggested, recognized the risk-taking subsidy inherent in public policy, but felt they had no choice but to play along or fall behind the other institutions that were also responding rationally to the incentives created by government intervention." A Government Failure, Not a Market Failure

"....government policy to intervene in the marketplace by lowering the standards necessary to qualify for mortgages...."

You just had to know that FDR was going to get blamed for starting the problem back in the 1930's and a half century after they buried him (he was dead).

So glad you posted that.

The founders were smart guys. They knew that no matter how specific and detailed a document was written, there would always be differing ways to interpret the documents text. That is why they created the third branch of government. They created a panel of judges to interpret the laws that would be created and confirm or deny they adhered to the constitution and interpret the constitution itself when called upon. Right wingers like to interpret the constitution one way, their way. It is one of the traits that identify the right wing.

So glad you posted that.

Why then did you call me a liar the other day when I said you believed Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid were unconstitutional and should be abolished?

Yep. I saw the movie. I love the part at the end how this will happen and the poor and the teachers will somehow get the blame. How true. Somehow they are the reason for problems.

"The Big Short is an entertaining movie, and it accurately describes important aspects of the housing bubble, but the film might give viewers the erroneous impression that private greed is the ultimate explanation. In reality, government intervention crippled the market’s normal mechanisms for limiting mistakes on the front end and heavily punishing mistakes on the back end."
Translation, the government FORCED the banks to lie cheat and steal. :cuckoo:

December 07, 2011
RUSH: But these financial houses were selling what they knew was worthless because they had been forced to make these loans by government in the first place, and they were selling worthless paper for high prices.

So glad you posted that.

Marriage equality is now constitutionally protected. Why do you wish to ignore it?

Could you quote the section of the Constitution that describes, authorizes, specifies 'marriage'.....?

.....or would you rather simply admit that the words you use are one more variation of the lies you tell.

Then there was this:

You just had to know that FDR was going to get blamed for starting the problem back in the 1930's and a half century after they buried him (he was dead).

So glad to see that you didn't try to deny that Roosevelt is responsible "for starting the problem back in the 1930's ..."

Just as I stated, he was the cause.

You're actually approaching 'honesty.'

So glad you posted that.

The founders were smart guys. They knew that no matter how specific and detailed a document was written, there would always be differing ways to interpret the documents text. That is why they created the third branch of government. They created a panel of judges to interpret the laws that would be created and confirm or deny they adhered to the constitution and interpret the constitution itself when called upon. Right wingers like to interpret the constitution one way, their way. It is one of the traits that identify the right wing.

1. "The founders were smart guys....That is why they created the third branch of government."

True as far a that goes.
But, as smart as they were, they couldn't know that.....like prisoners with a life sentence, power-hungry Liberals would spend their every waking moment trying to find a way to defeat liberty, democracy, the Constitution.

In 1801, John Marshall was appointed Chief Justice, and heconsistently tried to reduce any limits on federal power.Case in point, in the 1821 decision in Cohens v. Virginia, he found that the 11th amendment only banned suits against states that were initiated in federal courts.

Nonsense:this was not the intent of the amendment, but rather an intent to extend the jurisdiction of the federal courts and the federal government.

2. "...there would always be differing ways to interpret the documents text. That is why they created the third branch of government. They created a panel of judges to interpret the laws..."

A lie hidden in the nonsense of that word salad.
The Constitution is written in English.
One need simply study the words as they were understood at the time.
"Interpret" is one of those scholarly lies that Liberals and Progressives use to hide their intention to misuse the Constitution.

1. As a basis for understanding the Commerce Clause, Professor Randy Barnett examined over 1500 times the word ‘commerce’ appeared in the Philadelphia Gazette between 1715 and 1800. In none of these was the term used to apply more broadly than the meaning identified by Justice Thomas in his concurring opinion in ‘Lopez,’ in which he maintained that the word ‘commerce’ refers to the trade and exchange of goods, and that process, including transportation of same. A common trilogy was ‘agriculture, manufacturing and commerce.’
    1. For an originalist, direct evidence of the actual use of a word is the most important source of the word’s meaning. It is more important than referring to the ‘broader context,’ or the ‘larger context,’ or the ‘underlying principles,’ which is the means by which some jurists are able to turn ‘black’ into ‘white’, and ‘up’ into ‘down. ” “Originalism,” Steven Calabresi,

3. "Right wingers like to interpret the constitution one way, their way. It is one of the traits that identify the right wing."
Conservatives "read: the Constitution.
We don't search for 'penumbras.'

So glad you posted that.

Why then did you call me a liar the other day when I said you believed Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid were unconstitutional and should be abolished?

Because you lied.

You couldn't find any such quote of mine when you were challenged.

But....that's what you do.

Yep. I saw the movie. I love the part at the end how this will happen and the poor and the teachers will somehow get the blame. How true. Somehow they are the reason for problems.

That's not who the film blamed.

Perhaps you were watching the cartoon network.

"The Big Short is an entertaining movie, and it accurately describes important aspects of the housing bubble, but the film might give viewers the erroneous impression that private greed is the ultimate explanation. In reality, government intervention crippled the market’s normal mechanisms for limiting mistakes on the front end and heavily punishing mistakes on the back end."
Translation, the government FORCED the banks to lie cheat and steal. :cuckoo:

December 07, 2011
RUSH: But these financial houses were selling what they knew was worthless because they had been forced to make these loans by government in the first place, and they were selling worthless paper for high prices.

Here's a test to see if you are educable:

a. Congress passed a bill in 1975 requiring banks to provide the government with information on their lending activities in poor urban areas. Two years later, it passed the Community Reinvestment Act (CRA), which gave regulators the power to deny banks the right to expand if they didn’t lend sufficiently in those neighborhoods. In 1979 the FDIC used the CRA to block a move by the Greater NY Savings Bank for not enough lending.

b. In 1986, when the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (Acorn) threatened to oppose an acquisition by a southern bank, Louisiana Bancshares, until it agreed to new “flexible credit and underwriting standards” for minority borrowers—for example, counting public assistance and food stamps as income.

c. In 1987, Acorn led a coalition of advocacy groups calling for industry-wide changes in lending standards. Among the demanded reforms were the easing of minimum down-payment requirements and of the requirement that borrowers have enough cash at a closing to cover two to three months of mortgage payments (research had shown that lack of money in hand was a big reason some mortgages failed quickly).

d. ACORN then attacked Fannie Mae, the giant quasi-government agency that bought loans from banks in order to allow them to make new loans. Its underwriters were “strictly by-the-book interpreters” of lending standards and turned down purchases of unconventional loans, charged Acorn. The pressure eventually paid off. In 1992, Congress passed legislation requiring Fannie Mae and the similar Freddie Mac to devote 30 percent of their loan purchases to mortgages for low- and moderate-income borrowers.

e. Clinton Administration housing secretary, Henry Cisneros, declared that he would expand homeownership among lower- and lower-middle-income renters. His strategy: pushing for no-down-payment loans; expanding the size of mortgages that the government would insure against losses; and using the CRA and other lending laws to direct more private money into low-income programs.

f. Shortly after Cisneros announced his plan, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac agreed to begin buying loans under new, looser guidelines. Freddie Mac, for instance, started approving low-income buyers with bad credit histories or none at all, so long as they were current on rent and utilities payments. Freddie Mac also said that it would begin counting income from seasonal jobs and public assistance toward its income minimum, despite the FHA disaster of the sixties.

g. Freddie Mac began an “alternative qualifying” program with the Sears Mortgage Corporation that let a borrower qualify for a loan with a monthly payment as high as 50 percent of his income, at a time when most private mortgage companies wouldn’t exceed 33 percent. The program also allowed borrowers with bad credit to get mortgages if they took credit-counseling classes administered by Acorn and other nonprofits. Subsequent research would show that such classes have little impact on default rates.

h. Pressuring nonbank lenders to make more loans to poor minorities didn’t stop with Sears. If it didn’t happen, Clinton officials warned, they’d seek to extend CRA regulations to all mortgage makers. In Congress, Representative Maxine Waters called financial firms not covered by the CRA “among the most egregious redliners.”
Obsessive Housing Disorder by Steven Malanga, City Journal Spring 2009

That's right.....the problem was political.....caused by the bane of the nation: Democrats, Liberals, Progressives

Could you quote the section of the Constitution that describes, authorizes, specifies 'marriage'.....?

.....or would you rather simply admit that the words you use are one more variation of the lies you tell.

Can you quote the section of the Constitution that limits rights to those specifically stated in the Constitution?

Can you quote the portion of the equal protection clause that say that this equal protection shall not apply to marriage?

Forum List

Back