Thirty Years of Rush

I don't really care for the guy. I listened to him a couple times 20 years ago, that being said you have to hand it to a guy that pisses off the left for 30 years to the point where he lives in their heads night and day.

Back when I was running my business, I listened to him a lot because I was in my car more than I wasn't. Or he would be running in the background when I was working--I worked out of a home office. And though I was listening more for entertainment than information, and I was arguing with him sometimes a lot of the time, I came to understand his tactics and point of view, and how partisan and dishonest most of the stuff the left was throwing at him was. I by no means missed it when I missed his program--didn't think about it really--but I did notice that when he has a substitute host on, that host no matter how good just didn't have that certain something Rush has that is compelling.

These days I listen probably less than 30 minutes a month when I happen to be driving somewhere during his time slot. But even with that little exposure, he rarely fails to give me something to think about or that inspires me to research something when I get home. And I think that accounts for his success.

I'm usually aware of everything he says before he says it. He isn't original at all, he is like a radio version of the Drudge report, a news aggregator, but for conservatives. Yet he uses sources that would usually be suppressed.

He brings a spotlight to news and work that independent journalists are doing, directly to the masses, stories that are otherwise suppressed and received scant coverage. The thing that really irks me, is he censors it, and only presents one side of the story.

There is A LOT of work that the non-corporate press, and independent press is doing, stuff that has a progressive or left populist flavor, that he doesn't present. He definitely has some backers with an agenda to it. It's troublesome to say the least.

OTH, he does provide an invaluable service. Everyone should listen for the POV and the stories he does cover. Just like they should listen to NPR or BBC with a mind to their bias and the stories and holes they will have.

He toots his own horn, but he really doesn't do very much but read, select stories, and talk.
This week marked the 30-year anniversary of the syndicated Rush Limbaugh show.

Love him, hate him, or indifferent to him, Rush has had more impact on media in general than any other single person in history. He came onto the scene in the 1980's just as the flower children of the 60's were coming into their own and had pretty well dominated most of the media. They were still doing journalism at that time but they were pushing more and more leftist ideology and concepts. Traditional American values and modern American conservative principles had pretty much vanished from the scene.

Entered Rush with a common sense, usually humorous and satiric, new kind of talk program. He was talking about politics, people, personalities, and concepts that millions of us had been thinking but were no longer hearing on the radio, television, or reading in the newspapers. No, we didn't always agree with him or appreciate everything he said, but we were hungry to hear much of what he had to say that nobody else was saying.

He was entertaining, but because of some very good scholarship, he was also informative. I know I found myself researching some of the facts he presented. And he got it right a whole lot more than he got it wrong.

Because of his amazing success, he paved the way for radio talk shows for many others and affected television as well. And because there were so many of us, he went from a handful of stations when he first started to hundreds propelling talk radio/news stations to #1 in their market pretty much everywhere in the country. Rush pretty much single handedly caused an entire new industry to be created.

Rush, like many highly successful people, is an imperfect person. He suffers from chronic obesity, has had difficulty sustaining personal relationships, became addicted to prescription drugs to the point it destroyed his hearing--he has cochlear implants in both ears that destroyed his enjoyment of music--but he overcame that which was a heroic feat as any recovering alcoholic/addict knows. And like many/most highly successful people, along with some valid criticisms, he has been misquoted, taken out of context, unfairly, dishonestly, mischaracterized.

The left, then and now, does not appreciate being challenged in anything and attack and try to suppress, harm, silence, and/or destroy the messenger rather than rebut what is said and/or offer a better argument. The left is neither open minded nor tolerant of ANYBODY who does not share their rhetoric and point of view. And they certainly went after Rush with a vengeance. And Rush didn't care. He went right ahead and called it as he saw it, did his thing, and has maintained the #1 slot in his genre for 30 years now.

That's pretty amazing. And it is right to acknowledge it.
i grew up a radio talk show junky well before Rush hit the airways, thanks to my dear mother.

I too spent a lot of time in my car in the 1980s and heard Rush his first week on radio. I thought wow an opinion that isn’t liberal. Listened religiously for several years but his love of the criminals in the R party, eventually turned me off.

However we do owe him a debt of gratitude, as he did a great job exposing the biased MSM and the corruption in the D party. He also spawned a whole new genre, Right wing radio. The left hates him too. So congrats Rush.

Love him, hate him, or indifferent to him, Rush has had more impact on media in general than any other single person in history. He came onto the scene in the 1980's just as the flower children of the 60's were coming into their own and had pretty well dominated most of the media. They were still doing journalism at that time but they were pushing more and more leftist ideology and concepts. Traditional American values and modern American conservative principles had pretty much vanished from the scene.

Entered Rush with a common sense, usually humorous and satiric, new kind of talk program. He was talking about politics, people, personalities, and concepts that millions of us had been thinking but were no longer hearing on the radio, television, or reading in the newspapers. No, we didn't always agree with him or appreciate everything he said, but we were hungry to hear much of what he had to say that nobody else was saying.

He was entertaining, but because of some very good scholarship, he was also informative. I know I found myself researching some of the facts he presented. And he got it right a whole lot more than he got it wrong.

Because of his amazing success, he paved the way for radio talk shows for many others and affected television as well. And because there were so many of us, he went from a handful of stations when he first started to hundreds propelling talk radio/news stations to #1 in their market pretty much everywhere in the country. Rush pretty much single handedly caused an entire new industry to be created.

Rush, like many highly successful people, is an imperfect person. He suffers from chronic obesity, has had difficulty sustaining personal relationships, became addicted to prescription drugs to the point it destroyed his hearing--he has cochlear implants in both ears that destroyed his enjoyment of music--but he overcame that which was a heroic feat as any recovering alcoholic/addict knows. And like many/most highly successful people, along with some valid criticisms, he has been misquoted, taken out of context, unfairly, dishonestly, mischaracterized.

The left, then and now, does not appreciate being challenged in anything and attack and try to suppress, harm, silence, and/or destroy the messenger rather than rebut what is said and/or offer a better argument. The left is neither open minded nor tolerant of ANYBODY who does not share their rhetoric and point of view. And they certainly went after Rush with a vengeance. And Rush didn't care. He went right ahead and called it as he saw it, did his thing, and has maintained the #1 slot in his genre for 30 years now.

I can’t believe you people still dare to bring up tolerance. You killed it last election. Intolerance will now be met with intolerance, and I hope you choke on it.

I will refer you to the highlighted paragraph in the OP. Have a great afternoon.
I will refer you to my earlier response, and continue having a great afternoon.

Nice.

And for 30 years liberals would say...

Any day now.........

Rush is going off the air.....

FYI: to the young ones the only reason why Rush got to be so big and popular was the end to stifling free speech, the end to the fairness doctrine the year before.

I don't really think that had anything to do with it. I think Rush philosophically was like most of the people populating this country and he tapped into what those people thought, believed, were talking about, were frustrated by etc. as nobody else could and nobody else had done for decades. Paul Harvey, in his 15-minute daily monologue, hit the same kind of nerve, but he had less time to develop the thought and he was less political than Rush.

With the mega millions/billions poured into the Air America experiment to give the nation a liberal voice, you would have though it could have gotten off the ground. But it didn't? Why? Because the left never has any message to offer, no ideas, no agenda that is appealing to much of anybody. All they have is hand wringing and condemnation, nitpicking, and vague promises of a bunch of free stuff that wears thin with the average listener, and therefore the advertisers, really quickly.

But yes, if Rush's ratings slipped the least little bit, the haters were immediately on it. He was done. He was finished. He was a failure. Never mind that his ratings became more diluted when he single handedly created an industry that produced his own competition. But he never lost his #1 slot in any market to any of that competition.

Rush had/has little or no power. If he did, Bill Clinton or Barack Obama would never have been elected--twice. Ross Perot would never have become the phenomenon he did--Rush did not like Perot at all--and McCain never would have been the GOP nominee in 2008. I don't think Trump was Rush's pick either--at least Rush wasn't promoting him in any way during the campaign. The candidate that came the closest to being endorsed by Rush was Ted Cruz.

But what he does is brilliant.

His 30 year run has been absolutely amazing and he hasn't suggested ending it any time soon. But the day he does decide to hang it up and play more golf or whatever, you can bet the leftists will all be singing one chorus: See? He failed and was forced out!

It had everything to do with it, Rush would of never got on the air or any of the others, to say what you said tells me how young you are or were not aware of the days before 1987
Before Russia Limbaugh you had Morton Downey Jr spewing the hate. Your MessiahRushie is just a third rate Morton Downey Jr, who was able to make a success on TV at the same time slot Russia failed miserably at.
Yes...in the mind of a radical leftist, anyone who opposes leftism, is a hater.

LMFAO!!!

Brainwashed!!!

I can’t believe you people still dare to bring up tolerance. You killed it last election. Intolerance will now be met with intolerance, and I hope you choke on it.

I will refer you to the highlighted paragraph in the OP. Have a great afternoon.
I will refer you to my earlier response, and continue having a great afternoon.

Nice.
Yeah cause Hillary and the other criminals in the D party, are so tolerant. LMFAO!!!

Congrats to Rush I guess….he sort of laid the groundwork for Trump. Basically, he gets on the air, spews a bunch of lies and half truths and those who don’t know better believe it. Much like Trump does at his rallies. When Clinton was in office, I used to listen to Rush while I was driving around town and noticed that the clips of interviews he did air from James Carvell (sp?) for example were edited, the volume increased to make him sound more angry….etc… And I noticed one thing that other film flam artists quickly copied; when you couldn’t get a clip of a liberal saying what he wanted them to say; he would change his voice to faux imitate them. I image some (if not most) conservatives believed that whomever he was pointing his venom at actually said it. They are not too bright.

I noticed, of course, the reference to “left wing” radio. If you compare the tactics of the two, I can see where the left wing fails; trying to be honest and fact based is admirable but it makes for terrible radio. Conservatives have no such proclivity toward integrity so…you have multiple personalities on the air doing the same thing. It’s easy and those with scruples need not apply; perfect fit for their political demographic.

Screen Shot 2018-08-04 at 6.40.42 AM.png

I used to listen to him when he first started

I thought he was witty and funny

Then his listeners started to take him seriously......and so did he

Congrats to Rush I guess….he sort of laid the groundwork for Trump. Basically, he gets on the air, spews a bunch of lies and half truths and those who don’t know better believe it. Much like Trump does at his rallies. When Clinton was in office, I used to listen to Rush while I was driving around town and noticed that the clips of interviews he did air from James Carvell (sp?) for example were edited, the volume increased to make him sound more angry….etc… And I noticed one thing that other film flam artists quickly copied; when you couldn’t get a clip of a liberal saying what he wanted them to say; he would change his voice to faux imitate them. I image some (if not most) conservatives believed that whomever he was pointing his venom at actually said it. They are not too bright.

I noticed, of course, the reference to “left wing” radio. If you compare the tactics of the two, I can see where the left wing fails; trying to be honest and fact based is admirable but it makes for terrible radio. Conservatives have no such proclivity toward integrity so…you have multiple personalities on the air doing the same thing. It’s easy and those with scruples need not apply; perfect fit for their political demographic.

View attachment 208431
Rush is a Nazi!

Obama is a commie!

:abgg2q.jpg::cuckoo:

View attachment 208431

Misinformed

You can always identify the people who have been educated via NPR and MSNBC.:2up:

Rush listeners are folks who understand something liberals dont....and that's is, not all problems are solvable just by changing the institutions ( via gubmint ). His audience recognizes that what the goal often must be is that one must settle for the best possible outcome, not the perfect outcome. In other words, what is realistically achievable, what Rush refers to as the ability to think on the margin. Liberals have a constrained ability to think on the margin....cant really recognize the necessary tradeoffs in life. As Rush points out, costs dont matter to the liberal mind!:113:

Thankfully, to most folks, costs do matter, the operative term being "most". That's why far more people identify themselves as conservative than liberal.....and Rush has taken advantage of that!:flirtysmile4::flirtysmile4:

Last edited:

View attachment 208431

Misinformed

You can always identify the people who have been educated via NPR and MSNBC.:2up:

Rush listeners are folks who understand something liberals dont....and that's is, not all problems are solvable just by changing the institutions ( via gubmint ). His audience recognizes that what the goal often must be is that one must settle for the best possible outcome, not the perfect outcome. In other words, what is realistically achievable, what Rush refers to as the ability to think on the margin. Liberals have a constrained ability to think on the margin....cant really recognize the necessary tradeoffs in life. As Rush points out, costs dont matter to the liberal mind!:113:

Thankfully, to most folks, costs do matter, the operative term being "most". That's why far more people identify themselves as conservative than liberal.....and Rush has taken advantage of that!:flirtysmile4::flirtysmile4:

Ok…

I forget if it was post Romney or post McCain, Rush said something analogous to “I no longer will carry the water” for not conservatives….then in a complete 180 you have what you have today….

A move mirrored here by most “conservatives” who voted for both McCain and Romney and now this pervert in the White House.

View attachment 208431

Misinformed

Ok…

I forget if it was post Romney or post McCain, Rush said something analogous to “I no longer will carry the water” for not conservatives….then in a complete 180 you have what you have today….

A move mirrored here by most “conservatives” who voted for both McCain and Romney and now this pervert in the White House.

Really? That's your response to my post?:iyfyus.jpg:

30 years of lies, ignorance, hate, stupidity, and demagoguery; the font of rightwing fake news and conservative reactionaryism.

I highlighted a paragraph in the OP which will be the appropriate response to a post like this. Do have a great day.
jones would never think of debating someone.....its a lot easier to spew out some bullshit and get over to another thread and do the same there.....the guy is a useless stroonge...

He is entitled to his opinion. I just wish he would start his own thread to bash whatever his heart desires, and allow an intelligent discussion in this one. I don't fault anybody who doesn't care for Rush whose audience at best is 10% or less of the U.S. population and probably not that. So we can safely say 90% or more of the nation do not like Rush or are simply not interested enough to tune in. But more tune into his program than anybody elses nevertheless.

But I note that conservatives/libertarians/moderates can discuss the pros and cons of Rush intelligently and without rancor. And I find that refreshing over the inevitable insults and hate speech from the haters.
well thats probably because most on the right would tend to either agree with him or think he aint that far off.....i notice that the righties here cant talk about something maddow says without not saying insulting things....it goes both ways....

Then you don't listen to enough 'righties.'
i see plenty of them right here.....apparently you dont pay enough attention to what they post...

Rush has said many times he is an entertainer. I take him at his word. I have listened to his show and don't take him seriously. I consider him the first real troll.

And for 30 years liberals would say...

Any day now.........

Rush is going off the air.....

FYI: to the young ones the only reason why Rush got to be so big and popular was the end to stifling free speech, the end to the fairness doctrine the year before.

I don't really think that had anything to do with it. I think Rush philosophically was like most of the people populating this country and he tapped into what those people thought, believed, were talking about, were frustrated by etc. as nobody else could and nobody else had done for decades. Paul Harvey, in his 15-minute daily monologue, hit the same kind of nerve, but he had less time to develop the thought and he was less political than Rush.

With the mega millions/billions poured into the Air America experiment to give the nation a liberal voice, you would have though it could have gotten off the ground. But it didn't? Why? Because the left never has any message to offer, no ideas, no agenda that is appealing to much of anybody. All they have is hand wringing and condemnation, nitpicking, and vague promises of a bunch of free stuff that wears thin with the average listener, and therefore the advertisers, really quickly.

But yes, if Rush's ratings slipped the least little bit, the haters were immediately on it. He was done. He was finished. He was a failure. Never mind that his ratings became more diluted when he single handedly created an industry that produced his own competition. But he never lost his #1 slot in any market to any of that competition.

Rush had/has little or no power. If he did, Bill Clinton or Barack Obama would never have been elected--twice. Ross Perot would never have become the phenomenon he did--Rush did not like Perot at all--and McCain never would have been the GOP nominee in 2008. I don't think Trump was Rush's pick either--at least Rush wasn't promoting him in any way during the campaign. The candidate that came the closest to being endorsed by Rush was Ted Cruz.

But what he does is brilliant.

His 30 year run has been absolutely amazing and he hasn't suggested ending it any time soon. But the day he does decide to hang it up and play more golf or whatever, you can bet the leftists will all be singing one chorus: See? He failed and was forced out!

It had everything to do with it, Rush would of never got on the air or any of the others, to say what you said tells me how young you are or were not aware of the days before 1987
Before Russia Limbaugh you had Morton Downey Jr spewing the hate. Your MessiahRushie is just a third rate Morton Downey Jr, who was able to make a success on TV at the same time slot Russia failed miserably at.
Yes...in the mind of a radical leftist, anyone who opposes leftism, is a hater.

LMFAO!!!

Brainwashed!!!
It's not called " Hate Radio" for nothing!!!

Good. Lets get this war started.

Please no war here. I would really like to discuss the thread topic and not allow the trolls, idiots, and other exercises in futility to drag us into what THEY want to talk about instead.

Rush was a phenomenon when he came across the scene and he changed the political landscape in all forms of media as likely no other person has, at least since the printing press was invented.
Actually, I was living in Sacramento when Rush first started a talk show, before he became nationalized and syndicated. I used to listen to him regularly. He gave people a voice that the left was desperately trying to take away from them.

I believe he actually got started in Sacramento didn't he? I mean he had been fired from disc jockey jobs again and again for making remarks disc jockeys usually don't make. Somebody mentioned his success was the result of the reversal of the so-called 1987 'fairness doctrine--and in fairness to that person it did play a part in that it made a show like Rush's possible in Sacramento--he didn't have to provide a lot of meaningless, manufactured 'give and take' and his verbally combative style, moderated with humor, caught on.

Note: Apologies to that person--can't remember who it was--but I did shrug off that point of the fairness doctrine in a previous post and, after thinking about it, was wrong to do so. It didn't account for Rush's success which was my point, but it did in fact help make Rush's success possible.

The next year he would be nationally syndicated and the rest is history. :)

Last edited:

View attachment 208431

Misinformed

You can always identify the people who have been educated via NPR and MSNBC.

What was it you were saying about NPR? :D

Survey: NPR's listeners best-informed, Fox viewers worst-informed

I don't really care for the guy. I listened to him a couple times 20 years ago, that being said you have to hand it to a guy that pisses off the left for 30 years to the point where he lives in their heads night and day.

Back when I was running my business, I listened to him a lot because I was in my car more than I wasn't. Or he would be running in the background when I was working--I worked out of a home office. And though I was listening more for entertainment than information, and I was arguing with him sometimes a lot of the time, I came to understand his tactics and point of view, and how partisan and dishonest most of the stuff the left was throwing at him was. I by no means missed it when I missed his program--didn't think about it really--but I did notice that when he has a substitute host on, that host no matter how good just didn't have that certain something Rush has that is compelling.

These days I listen probably less than 30 minutes a month when I happen to be driving somewhere during his time slot. But even with that little exposure, he rarely fails to give me something to think about or that inspires me to research something when I get home. And I think that accounts for his success.

I'm usually aware of everything he says before he says it. He isn't original at all, he is like a radio version of the Drudge report, a news aggregator, but for conservatives. Yet he uses sources that would usually be suppressed.

He brings a spotlight to news and work that independent journalists are doing, directly to the masses, stories that are otherwise suppressed and received scant coverage. The thing that really irks me, is he censors it, and only presents one side of the story.

There is A LOT of work that the non-corporate press, and independent press is doing, stuff that has a progressive or left populist flavor, that he doesn't present. He definitely has some backers with an agenda to it. It's troublesome to say the least.

OTH, he does provide an invaluable service. Everyone should listen for the POV and the stories he does cover. Just like they should listen to NPR or BBC with a mind to their bias and the stories and holes they will have.

He toots his own horn, but he really doesn't do very much but read, select stories, and talk.

i grew up a radio talk show junky well before Rush hit the airways, thanks to my dear mother.

I too spent a lot of time in my car in the 1980s and heard Rush his first week on radio. I thought wow an opinion that isn’t liberal. Listened religiously for several years but his love of the criminals in the R party, eventually turned me off.

However we do owe him a debt of gratitude, as he did a great job exposing the biased MSM and the corruption in the D party. He also spawned a whole new genre, Right wing radio. The left hates him too. So congrats Rush.

I hear what you are saying but I don't think he 'loves' criminals in either party. But he will defend an "R" who is unfairly attacked and/or maligned or mischaracterized when nobody else will. But he was very critical of many in the Reagan administration when he first got started and was pretty non-partisan. The only thing that made him LOOK partisan is that the GOP more closely represented his point of view than did the Democrats.

And over the years, as the left has moved ever further left and became more criticisable because of it, Rush would hold firm on conservative principles. Anybody who defended those principles in Congress would be acknowledged no matter how criticisable, corrupt, disingenuous, or feckless they might otherwise be.

One of Rush's commentaries in 2013 took the feckless Congress to task over the immigration debate after Congress passed and Obama bragged that 700 miles of border fence would be built. And the manipulation of that legislation by both sides of the aisle was reprehensible. His monologue on that was quite lengthy but accurate in illustrating why nothing in Congress seems to ever get done:
Untangling the Gang of Eight Web of Deceit

And the only thing worse than Limbaugh’s 30 years of lies, ignorance, hate, stupidity, demagoguery, fake news, and conservative reactionaryism is that the reprehensible right continues to listen to this bloviating blowhard spew his lies, ignorance, hate, and stupidity.

Forum List

Back