Thinking about death

pillars

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2014
UNC
How often do you think about death/dying, and in what circumstances? I turned 50 this year, and I think I have thought about death/dying more this year than any before.

My job is occasionally somewhat dangerous. A couple of weeks ago, a shooting happened right in a location I'd left only a few minutes prior. If my timing had been only slightly different, I would have been there when it happened, and could have been injured or killed.

Are you accepting of your own mortality? What do you think happens after death? Do you have thoughts about what you want your life or death to mean?

Last edited:
I never really think about my own death as much. I could care less. What bothers me is thinking of my loved one's deaths, which I think of way too often. I get onto my twin sister all the time because she likes to speed while driving, and doesn't wear her seat belt at the same time. I found my mother dead less than four years ago. Could you imagine getting that late-night knock on your door about your twin sister so soon afterwards? I'd be devastated.

Life is to short to think about dying. Just have your affairs in order life insurance ect ect.

Life after death can mean a myriad of things. It can mean the body moves on to another dimension or that the spirit moves on to another body as in reincarnation. Only God knows exactly what life after death involves and He has said that we are not to know the details until that time arrives. Yes, I believe in life after death. What it is like, exactly, we shall all have to wait and see.

How often do you think about death/dying, and in what circumstances? I turned 50 this year, and I think I have thought about death/dying more this year than any before.

My job is occasionally somewhat dangerous. A couple of weeks ago, a shooting happened right in a location I'd left only a few minutes prior. If my timing had been only slightly different, I would have been there when it happened.

Are you accepting of your own mortality? What do you think happens after death? Do you have thoughts about what you want your life or death to mean?
Every day I think about it.
Yes, I accept my mortality. I'm ready.
I think one ascends to a better place once they pass, and it is different for each individual what that place is like.
The only thing I am afraid of is lingering. Not death itself...the LINGERING.

Having escaped death several times, I sometimes fantasize about the end....but it all depends if the guy can shoot straight, or that I don't hurt myself jumping out the window escaping his rage over me being in bed with his wife...

I'd rather die then to live under Bernie Sanders like idiots like you want.

I used to believe in life after death, but at some point in my life I stopped caring which happened. Both sound just fine. Life in paradise? Awesome. No consciousness at all? Awesome. Unless there's a Hell death really is a win-win situation.

Aaron, I had no idea you lost your mom so recently. I'm sorry for your loss. I dread losing my mom and dad.

I never thought about my own death much when I was younger. Now I occasionally think about the possibility of dying, but I'm not worried or scared by it. It's just something that could potentially happen. I have a will, and life insurance, and my husband and kids would be okay financially, but I'm not sure they would be okay emotionally.

I do worry about something happening to my husband or one of my kids...I worry about that pretty regularly.

I have thought about death, pretty much non-stop since high school. I'm now 38. I thought about death every single day last week. I wager I'll think about death every day this week. As for what life should 'mean' or whatever, I can't imagine what it would mean.

I can't even imagine that anyone would notice I was here, or that I left. When I think about my grand parents, I have no idea what they did, or what difference they did or did not make. And beyond that, I have no idea what my great grand parents, or beyond did. All of the experiences and actions of their lives, are summed up by a single "-" a dash, between two dates on a block of stone.

Similarly, I would assume that 10 years from now, or I should say, ten years from when I die, the people still living will equally see the entire sum total of my life, as nothing more than a dash "-" between two dates.

And honestly, I can't wait. Other than working a menial low-wage job, as I have done for the past 17 years, there is no other future event I am waiting for.

I have thought about death, pretty much non-stop since high school. I'm now 38. I thought about death every single day last week. I wager I'll think about death every day this week. As for what life should 'mean' or whatever, I can't imagine what it would mean.

I can't even imagine that anyone would notice I was here, or that I left. When I think about my grand parents, I have no idea what they did, or what difference they did or did not make. And beyond that, I have no idea what my great grand parents, or beyond did. All of the experiences and actions of their lives, are summed up by a single "-" a dash, between two dates on a block of stone.

Similarly, I would assume that 10 years from now, or I should say, ten years from when I die, the people still living will equally see the entire sum total of my life, as nothing more than a dash "-" between two dates.

And honestly, I can't wait. Other than working a menial low-wage job, as I have done for the past 17 years, there is no other future event I am waiting for.

Have you considered doing something else? Your post makes me sad. I love what I do, I cannot imagine feeling stuck as you obviously do.

Although I have lived many years, served in the military, have survived aviation and auto and water accidents, witnessed the deaths of my mother and friends, I did not have that "mortality" moment that I realized that some day I too would die until my daughter died. Anyone on the Board who has lost a child will tell you that you go crazy for a time. But you survive and move on. I have no fear but a lot of awe of not being here in the near future. I don't see the need to have any pain when I go. I am ready for the other side while enjoying the now.

Have you considered doing something else? Your post makes me sad. I love what I do, I cannot imagine feeling stuck as you obviously do.

Of course. And I have done something else. In fact, this is my 38th job. Ironic given I'm 38. Yes, yes, I have done everything... as in EVERYTHING... from working tech support, to contract labor, to driving an 18-wheeler, to working as a mechanic, to retail, to manufacturing.... I was going to say more, but I can't remember many of the jobs I've worked.

Yeah... so... No didn't work out for me. G-d blesses some, and curses others I guess. Some people are gifted with blessings they forget they have, and others are never given the same joy.

Do me a favor Pillars. I don't know you from jack. Write down that good thing you have, that you have a job you love to do, and you are good at it. Write it down, and never forget it.

Well don't think about it too much, it can drive you batty...

BattyKoda.jpg

Oh I'm there already man. That's my self portrait! It's ok though. After so many years.... you get used to it. :)

Of course. And I have done something else. In fact, this is my 38th job. Ironic given I'm 38. Yes, yes, I have done everything... as in EVERYTHING... from working tech support, to contract labor, to driving an 18-wheeler, to working as a mechanic, to retail, to manufacturing.... I was going to say more, but I can't remember many of the jobs I've worked.

Yeah... so... No didn't work out for me. G-d blesses some, and curses others I guess. Some people are gifted with blessings they forget they have, and others are never given the same joy.

Do me a favor Pillars. I don't know you from jack. Write down that good thing you have, that you have a job you love to do, and you are good at it. Write it down, and never forget it.
When you are self employed you get a differ job every week...

Andy, in 10 1/2 months you can be a LVN, and that is a start on a great career.

I have known many in their thirties and forties who have done that and gone onto RN and MSN.

Forum List

Back