They want to ruin education!

Some schools have been questioning this for years. They would prefer to handle it differently and believe they can do better on their own. Usually, pressure from enough schools across the country bring about this kind of change. Same deal with Common Core.

"Eliminating AP courses would also allow more time for teaching and would reduce the workload of many courses. As it stands, AP courses have to cover all of the material by the end of April to prepare for exams during the first two weeks of May. Afterwards, AP classes (with a few exceptions) simply end. If we eliminated the AP designation from many of the courses, teachers would have up until the end of May to teach.

Courses would become more relaxed in pace as the material could be spread over a longer period of time, and students would be less stressed as a result.

Of course, eliminating AP courses would not be easy to do at first. Courses would have to be redesigned and the administration would likely have to deal with strong parent criticism.

But if the school has the courage to eliminate AP classes, the benefits will soon become apparent."

http://www.hwchronicle.com/get-rid-of-ap-classes/

"But now, some of the most elite schools in the country are opting out of the AP frenzy, saying they can design better and more rigorous courses on their own that won’t force them to adhere to someone else’s curriculum and timeline and force teachers to teach to the test. And, instead of replicating a college level course in high school, they say they can go one better – partnering with local colleges so their students get the real deal.

"Our major complaint with the AP courses was that it was a race for breadth against depth," explained Robert Vitalo, Head of School at Berkeley Carroll, a Brooklyn prep school that decided to completely do away with AP courses in the 2011-2012 school year. "We think the way of the world, the way to be teaching, the way that kids should be learning is to look at how subjects and questions and ideas are connected and related, and to take the time to make those connections and ask those questions and not to have it be a race to cover a lot of content.""

http://ww2.kqed.org/mindshift/2012/08/08/is-it-time-to-reconsider-ap-classes/
I think AP is good. Who cares about stress... They're in freaking high school. If they can't handle an AP class then they shouldn't take it. People need to learn to manage stress instead of treating 17/18 year olds like babies.

College courses while in high school are better though. My high school was partnered with a community college and I was able to take a college courses during high school through that program. I can see the reason to get rid of AP if they could offer the same thing but only through a college.

Some schools have been questioning this for years. They would prefer to handle it differently and believe they can do better on their own. Usually, pressure from enough schools across the country bring about this kind of change. Same deal with Common Core.

"Eliminating AP courses would also allow more time for teaching and would reduce the workload of many courses. As it stands, AP courses have to cover all of the material by the end of April to prepare for exams during the first two weeks of May. Afterwards, AP classes (with a few exceptions) simply end. If we eliminated the AP designation from many of the courses, teachers would have up until the end of May to teach.

Courses would become more relaxed in pace as the material could be spread over a longer period of time, and students would be less stressed as a result.

Of course, eliminating AP courses would not be easy to do at first. Courses would have to be redesigned and the administration would likely have to deal with strong parent criticism.

But if the school has the courage to eliminate AP classes, the benefits will soon become apparent."

http://www.hwchronicle.com/get-rid-of-ap-classes/

"But now, some of the most elite schools in the country are opting out of the AP frenzy, saying they can design better and more rigorous courses on their own that won’t force them to adhere to someone else’s curriculum and timeline and force teachers to teach to the test. And, instead of replicating a college level course in high school, they say they can go one better – partnering with local colleges so their students get the real deal.

"Our major complaint with the AP courses was that it was a race for breadth against depth," explained Robert Vitalo, Head of School at Berkeley Carroll, a Brooklyn prep school that decided to completely do away with AP courses in the 2011-2012 school year. "We think the way of the world, the way to be teaching, the way that kids should be learning is to look at how subjects and questions and ideas are connected and related, and to take the time to make those connections and ask those questions and not to have it be a race to cover a lot of content.""

http://ww2.kqed.org/mindshift/2012/08/08/is-it-time-to-reconsider-ap-classes/
I think AP is good. Who cares about stress... They're in freaking high school. If they can't handle an AP class then they shouldn't take it. People need to learn to manage stress instead of treating 17/18 year olds like babies.

College courses while in high school are better though. My high school was partnered with a community college and I was able to take a college courses during high school through that program. I can see the reason to get rid of AP if they could offer the same thing but only through a college.

Some schools would rather partner with local colleges and go one better than AP. I think it should be up to schools, students and parents to make the final decision. Government involvement generally means a one-size-fits-all approach and that is not always best.

Those damn anti-common core people want to hurt AP class for the eggheads, my God! Where will the basis of taunts from jocks be directed at?

I'm saying it worked out in the long run. Why does the past matter? When you invent a time machine so I can go back there I will care more about how Christian nations were once behind. As of now that's not the case. You stop at the part to best make your point instead of the part of the story we are at right now.
Christianity is not what created your world. It tried, and still does try, to hold it back.

Start your history lesson here: History of science - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
I already gave you the evidence. You keep trying to twist it and avoid the fact that Christian science has passed others.
There is no such thing as Christian science. They oppose each other in all significant ways. If you knew them, you'd know why.

I would disagree. Science and Religion are compatible with each other. They are mutually exclusive epistemologies.

PMH is dumb and things everyone who believes in religion is Amish. The fact is that every major religion today is completely compatible with every useful form of science. You can say maybe not with evolution but even that I don't see why anyone wouldn't consider studying it. Evolution is such a small area of study though and is not a progress oriented science so isn't very useful to the United States as a whole. I don't see how PMH believes religion holds science back so much.
He's been taught by Pope Gore that Republicans hate science. To disagree would be sacrilege.

Christianity is not what created your world. It tried, and still does try, to hold it back.

Start your history lesson here: History of science - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
I already gave you the evidence. You keep trying to twist it and avoid the fact that Christian science has passed others.
There is no such thing as Christian science. They oppose each other in all significant ways. If you knew them, you'd know why.

I would disagree. Science and Religion are compatible with each other. They are mutually exclusive epistemologies.

PMH is dumb and things everyone who believes in religion is Amish. The fact is that every major religion today is completely compatible with every useful form of science. You can say maybe not with evolution but even that I don't see why anyone wouldn't consider studying it. Evolution is such a small area of study though and is not a progress oriented science so isn't very useful to the United States as a whole. I don't see how PMH believes religion holds science back so much.

I bet if we could get a couple of beers into Paint, we could get him to admit that there really isn't much of a disagreement.

The trick would be getting him to stop at a couple.

Both parties seem to be all over the board regarding education. Too many students these days are treated like fragile little kids and get rewarded for every little thing. Showing up for class is considered an accomplishment in some places. Then there is the indoctrination of some children who are told they should fall apart to the point of needing therapy at the mention of a gun.

So, do we challenge students or treat them like babies?

AP is a challenge that some students want, though other students struggle in remedial classes. Our school had the TAG program that my kids were in since 5th grade and they loved the extra work. It was disappointing when our school didn't offer calculus and the students were on their own if they wanted to continue advanced classes before going to college. Of course, many did fine in college when it picked up where high school left off.

If schools would prefer to partner with local colleges to form their own unique AP classes, government should back off and leave it to each school. Parents, students and teachers are the best ones to decide. Government is all about standardization, which is not popular with many schools.

There are so many things that affect the quality of education and I say leave it to each school to decide what works for their students.

Forum List

Back