They just came out of the Woods...

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
(not the closet) and acted as if they owned the place...with no worries at all...

They love me! :) I think they love me!!! (in my best Sally Fields voice!)

I was in the kitchen heating up a cup of coffee in the microwave cuz it had gotten cold....peaked out of the kitchen sink window and there, right in front of me at the edge of the woods where we placed a bird feeder and some chairs under a wild plum tree to watch the birds from, these two, pretty stocky deer come right to the bird feeder and started licking up the sunflower seeds that had fallen to the ground....

It was minus 11 this morning, so I know they are just happy to have made it through the night alive! Here in Maine, we lose a quarter, to a third of our deer herd in normal winters....but they reproduce like bunny rabbits and deliver in the Spring so all is ok with that, I suppose.... :(

c29e337c-70ec-45e7-8f60-6e4a26171fd8.png

I have 5 more pictures to post of them....they are not skinny yet....they will be, by Spring....

We had a little ''stare down'' thing going for a couple of minutes, but they finally figured out that I was a wussy, who's never held a gun! :D And decided to stay!

Last edited:
It was minus 11 this morning, so I know they are just happy to have made it through the night alive! ..
I have 5 more pictures to post of them....they are not skinny yet....they will be, by Spring....
We had a little ''stare down'' thing going for a couple of minutes, but they finally figured out that I was a wussy, who's never held a gun! :D And decided to stay!
Aaaaahhhhhhh

You should have invited them in and had them for dinner!

(not the closet) and acted as if they owned the place...with no worries at all...

I was in the kitchen heating up a cup of coffee in the microwave cuz it had gotten cold....peaked out of the kitchen sink window and there, right in front of me at the edge of the woods where we placed a bird feeder and some chairs under a wild plum tree to watch the birds from, these two, pretty stocky deer come right to the bird feeder and started licking up the sunflower seeds that had fallen to the ground....

It was minus 11 this morning, so I know they are just happy to have made it through the night alive! Here in Maine, we lose a quarter, to a third of our deer herd in normal winters....but they reproduce like bunny rabbits in the Spring so all is ok with that, I suppose.... :(

The only difference between deer and rats is they taste better.

About 30 - 50 yards from this bird feeder area, we had been putting out deer corn, this winter for them Bones....

but we got hit with 10 inches of snow Christmas Day and Matt had not dredged a path out that way yet, then we got slammed with this Arctic Front.... so now the snow is just a layer of ice on top...I feel fortunate that Matt got to dig a path to the Bird Feeder!

a06819fe-7237-4b08-9646-783d6c0d7173.png

It was minus 11 this morning, so I know they are just happy to have made it through the night alive! Here in Maine, we lose a quarter, to a third of our deer herd in normal winters....but they reproduce like bunny rabbits in the Spring so all is ok with that, I suppose.... :(

You don't need a gun. You should have tried chucking a big rock at it. With a little luck, you might have killed it, or at least stunned it long enough to run up and finish the job with a hammer, baseball bat, kitchen knife, etc. Never be afraid to improvise.

Last edited:
These gals are pretty stocky, but they are small for Deer up here...I would say they are two years old at most....

7dac7c4a-c9ad-4f09-b189-9bf6e384ffbd.png

I had an odd animal moment this month. I walked into my living room and there was a little Sugar Glider walking around like it was drunk.
What is a sugar glider?
theyre like these tiny little flying squirrel looking things that chill in your pocket but also do cool jumps and crap. i heard their poop is a real hassle so ive never gotten 1

They look well padded for winter.

Mix a batch of seed with peanut butter and butter, good for the birds too.

The only difference between deer and rats is they taste better.
26113841_1856278794431244_2310058350489611187_n.jpg

About 30 - 50 yards from this bird feeder area, we had been putting out deer corn, this winter for them Bones....

but we got hit with 10 inches of snow Christmas Day and Matt had not dredged a path out that way yet, then we got slammed with this Arctic Front.... so now the snow is just a layer of ice on top...I feel fortunate that Matt got to dig a path to the Bird Feeder!

a06819fe-7237-4b08-9646-783d6c0d7173.png

How cute! They look like young ones.

They look well padded for winter.
Agree, and I would guess that they have a good chance in surviving it, if it is not too long....they will be skinny by Spring though....but come summer and fall, it is an absolute feast with all the foods like wild berries and wild cherries and wild plums and wild apples, and wild rose hips and hay in the meadow across the way that really fatten them up....it's a smorgasbord here, to be had....

Forum List

Back