They just came out of the Woods...

(not the closet) and acted as if they owned the place...with no worries at all...

They love me! :) I think they love me!!! (in my best Sally Fields voice!)

I was in the kitchen heating up a cup of coffee in the microwave cuz it had gotten cold....peaked out of the kitchen sink window and there, right in front of me at the edge of the woods where we placed a bird feeder and some chairs under a wild plum tree to watch the birds from, these two, pretty stocky deer come right to the bird feeder and started licking up the sunflower seeds that had fallen to the ground....

It was minus 11 this morning, so I know they are just happy to have made it through the night alive! Here in Maine, we lose a quarter, to a third of our deer herd in normal winters....but they reproduce like bunny rabbits and deliver in the Spring so all is ok with that, I suppose.... :(

c29e337c-70ec-45e7-8f60-6e4a26171fd8.png

I have 5 more pictures to post of them....they are not skinny yet....they will be, by Spring....

We had a little ''stare down'' thing going for a couple of minutes, but they finally figured out that I was a wussy, who's never held a gun! :D And decided to stay!
Did you give them anything beside the seeds? Poor things.

These gals are pretty stocky, but they are small for Deer up here...I would say they are two years old at most....

7dac7c4a-c9ad-4f09-b189-9bf6e384ffbd.png

They must be younger than 2 years or they are does. No antlers. :) I can't tell if they have little spikes or not, but they look to be younger than 2 years to me. I only know about these things because my cousin is obsessed with deer and deer hunting.

These gals are pretty stocky, but they are small for Deer up here...I would say they are two years old at most....

7dac7c4a-c9ad-4f09-b189-9bf6e384ffbd.png

They must be younger than 2 years or they are does. No antlers. :) I can't tell if they have little spikes or not, but they look to be younger than 2 years to me. I only know about these things because my cousin is obsessed with deer and deer hunting.
They are Doe, In fact, only once in 11 years, have I seen a Buck at a distance in the meadow, and he must be 'taking care of business" with all the females around here, cuz every spring and Fall.... lots and lots of fawns and yearling pictures to take... I probably have a thousand pictures of the deer over the 11 years, in my yard due to the wild apple trees, and NOT ONE with a rack....NOT ONE! All female, except

one little fawn or maybe he was just losing his spots and a yearling, had these two little nubs on his forehead.... that's it....these doe, seem to only bear doe....all female but that one with the little nubs.....

here we feed them when its too hard for them to survive....i dont feed deer
hubby wont let me

Your husband is smart. A deer's digestive system changes in the winter. Feeding deer food not naturally available in winter can actually kill them. Letting deer fend for themselves is the best way to show your concern for them.

(not the closet) and acted as if they owned the place...with no worries at all...

I was in the kitchen heating up a cup of coffee in the microwave cuz it had gotten cold....peaked out of the kitchen sink window and there, right in front of me at the edge of the woods where we placed a bird feeder and some chairs under a wild plum tree to watch the birds from, these two, pretty stocky deer come right to the bird feeder and started licking up the sunflower seeds that had fallen to the ground....

It was minus 11 this morning, so I know they are just happy to have made it through the night alive! Here in Maine, we lose a quarter, to a third of our deer herd in normal winters....but they reproduce like bunny rabbits and deliver in the Spring so all is ok with that, I suppose.... :(

I have 5 more pictures to post of them....they are not skinny yet....they will be, by Spring....

We had a little ''stare down'' thing going for a couple of minutes, but they finally figured out that I was a wussy, who's never held a gun! :D And decided to stay!

Those deer look very healthy. Cool pic.

Beautiful thank you for sharing. Their coats don't look really thick to me , I wonder how they survive that cold?

~ I feed 2 feral cats ( one just died after 17 years of feeding him ). caught and got them both neutered. I also feed a racoon, and a sweet possum, the hummingbirds, and other birds All and everyone is invited. except any mice or rats in my house. ( we are screened up pretty tight ,so no mice in the house )

It was minus 11 this morning, so I know they are just happy to have made it through the night alive! Here in Maine, we lose a quarter, to a third of our deer herd in normal winters....but they reproduce like bunny rabbits in the Spring so all is ok with that, I suppose.... :(

The only difference between deer and rats is they taste better.
You prefer the rats???????????????

Here in Oregon, we have had a couple of bad years for snow and cold in the last half century, and people, and the government, put out feed for them. For the people, and many of them hunted every year, it was taking care of part of the environment that was valuable to them. For the government, communities make money off the hunters every year, so that was protecting their tax base.

When we lived in Eastern Oregon, it was not uncommon to have deer in the yard. Hard on rose bushes.

It was minus 11 this morning, so I know they are just happy to have made it through the night alive! Here in Maine, we lose a quarter, to a third of our deer herd in normal winters....but they reproduce like bunny rabbits in the Spring so all is ok with that, I suppose.... :(

The only difference between deer and rats is they taste better.
You prefer the rats???????????????

Yum yum eat 'em up!

Nah, deer. I like some nice venison now and then.

They are little flying squirrels. She must have come down the chimney. But I knew there was something wrong as soon as I saw her take a step. She had no balance. I started her on antibiotics right away.

Where do you live? They are not native to the US., but Australia They usually freeze to death in even cool temps.

Could be someone's escaped pet though.

How do you get pictures like that?!

I have deer standing 10 feet from me and all I have is my phone. The pictures make them look 100 yards away. What are you using?

Last edited:
~ I feed 2 feral cats ( one just died after 17 years of feeding him ). caught and got them both neutered. I also feed a racoon, and a sweet possum, the hummingbirds, and other birds All and everyone is invited. except any mice or rats in my house. ( we are screened up pretty tight ,so no mice in the house )
You sound like me, but I have a mouse that I'm helping thru the cold winter. He can stay til spring. My back yard is a zoo.

Forum List

Back