They Are Insulting You

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Article 15, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Article 15

Article 15 Dr. House slayer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    From an anonymous Internet poster:

Crooks and Liars How Obama Should Respond to the “Celebrity” Charge

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,298
    Sometimes I think subtlety is lost on the masses when it comes to advertising. But there is truth there and if Obama can win this one it will change the way he is perceived, it will change a divide that has been so large I still hear it from many.

"For we have a choice in this country. We can accept a politics that breeds division, and conflict, and cynicism. We can tackle race only as spectacle – as we did in the OJ trial – or in the wake of tragedy, as we did in the aftermath of Katrina - or as fodder for the nightly news. We can play Reverend Wright’s sermons on every channel, every day and talk about them from now until the election, and make the only question in this campaign whether or not the American people think that I somehow believe or sympathize with his most offensive words. We can pounce on some gaffe by a Hillary supporter as evidence that she’s playing the race card, or we can speculate on whether white men will all flock to John McCain in the general election regardless of his policies.

We can do that.

But if we do, I can tell you that in the next election, we’ll be talking about some other distraction. And then another one. And then another one. And nothing will change." Barack Obama

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Nothing will change even if he is elected. Politics is always about distractions. You really need to learn to read between the lines when you see this talk that is meant to distract you .

4. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,298
    We have to lose this cynicism - I was listening to Mike Gravel on cspan today, damn he made more sense than I had given him as his media image was skewed.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Kingmakers-Media-Threatens-Security-Democracy/dp/159777586X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218406881&sr=1-3]Amazon.com: The Kingmakers: How the Media Threatens Our Security and Our Democracy: Mike Gravel, David Eisenbach: Books[/ame]

5. Article 15

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    This celebrity angle being taken by the McCain campaign is one such distraction that you speak of ...

Do you think that it is an empty attack which insults the intelligence of the voters?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do tend to agree with you that nothing will change if Obama is elected ... he has showed himself to be a lot more "politician" than the true believers think he is but on the other hand I can understand midcan5's feelings that we need to "lose the cynicism." To me it seems like America is losing it's "can-do" attitude.

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    That depends on what you replace it with. Cynicism isn't just a fad that popped up. It's a coping mechanism. It's dealing with reality and less destructive than the hostility and hopelessness that it suppresses.
    I've given up on trying to assess the intelligence of the American voter. I don't see any tools that I could use that would give me an accurate way to measure political intelligence.

7. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    It is nearly impossible not to be cynical in today's America. We have 2 parties who could give a fuck less about us.

8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    *yawn* :talktothehand:

9. Article 15

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    I can understand that ...

It seems to me that today getting reelected is numero uno and everything else is secondary ...

10. Article 15

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    That's a good point you make about cynicism ...

I wonder if it could just be replaced or if something needs to happen in order to justify a collective change of heart ...